Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th January 2013, 07:15   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

I like wheeler bealers, it's all about fixing, repairing and restoring. Looks so great.

Apart from that I like American Chopper, but then repeat repeat and repeat.

Now what all programs have got new series. I think some have got new.

I also saw that Ovehauling 2012 is being aired now, definitely that is new the earlier one was of 2006 . Yet to watch tough. Missed one yesterday.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 15:07   #377
BHPian

Default Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

I have recently taken to watching a programme called 'Wrecked'. Its about a Chicago based crane/towing/salvage company that deals with day-to-day car and truck accidents/wreckages in the city. Quite an interesting programme, I must say.

Wheeler Dealers is my favourite and I started Series recording again on my Tata Sky after saw ads of 'all new episodes' about a few weeks back. After 3-4 episodes, yesterday saw one of Toyota MR-2 and it is a repeat - so much for 'All new' series.
jessie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 19:38   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post

Wheeler Dealers is my favourite and I started Series recording again on my Tata Sky after saw ads of 'all new episodes' about a few weeks back. After 3-4 episodes, yesterday saw one of Toyota MR-2 and it is a repeat - so much for 'All new' series.
The Friday evening ones have been new episodes
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 19:43   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I would rate 5th Gear higher than Top Gear in terms of information and reviews.

things. They look like heroes because they have an enormous airfield at their disposal.

BUT they are incredibly funny. They know how to entertain the masses. And that's the route TG has taken. TG was very different back in the day, when Tiff was a part of the team.
As usual Suhaas you have it spot on! I could not agree more.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 20:25   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I like wheeler bealers, it's all about fixing, repairing and restoring. Looks so great.

Apart from that I like American Chopper, but then repeat repeat and repeat.

Now what all programs have got new series. I think some have got new.

I also saw that Ovehauling 2012 is being aired now, definitely that is new the earlier one was of 2006 . Yet to watch tough. Missed one yesterday.
Discovery has discontinued American choppers after a 10 year run,i used to watch that since 2004 when they were showing in Travel and living.

I also watch west coast customs.I am bored of watching overhaulin.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 23:53   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I would rate 5th Gear higher than Top Gear in terms of information and reviews.
Thanks a lot for your comparo and Well said bro . I agree with you on the TG part, as i have watched every damn episode of it.

Quote:
TG was very different back in the day, when Tiff was a part of the team.
You mean during the 90s ? i.e.TG before the actual 2002 series ?

Anyways, your words seemed to have impressed me and I have decided to watch Fifth Gear as well. Will let you know about how i find it, soon.
Got my channel pack activated today and got Discovery Turbo . Now, please help me out and tell me which all are the good shows and their timings as well.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 00:58   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post

Anyways, your words seemed to have impressed me and I have decided to watch Fifth Gear as well. Will let you know about how i find it, soon.
Got my channel pack activated today and got Discovery Turbo . Now, please help me out and tell me which all are the good shows and their timings as well.
Thank you!

I'm not sure of the timings. I have them recorded on my DVR.

You could also try Wheeler-Dealers and Auto-Trader for some hands-on car-stuff. I find Discovery Turbo tedious nowadays. Shows like American Chopper are now long-in-the-tooth.

If you want a good mix of both objective reviewing and dry British humor, I'd suggest you subscribe to Chris Harris On cars on YouTube. I'd mentioned this before in the previous page.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 11:29   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats. And since you have got this channel recently, almost all of the programs will excite you, for me most of the programs I have may have seen twice or thrice.

I do not not how many times Bangla Bangers (the one shot in Bangladesh) has been shown on discovery Turbo.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 00:00   #384
A M
BHPian

Quote:
. Now, please help me out and tell me which all are the good shows and their timings as well.
Hi namesake

Fifthgear - Weekdays - 8:00PM

I'm sure you'll like it.
A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 22:54   #385
MDe
BHPian

Fifth Gear still tops the list of programs that I watch on Turbo. Its generally more precise and to the point about their reviews. TG is good in some parts but mostly it is about ridiculing the cars, most of their tests are not practical also. I prefer Tiff over Jeremy that way.

Bangla Bangers or London Chop Shop do not have anything new to offer these days. I still feel better watching Wheeler Dealer as Edd China seems like a genius. He can practically work everything out from electrics, to mechanicals to body work and carpentry. Hats off to him,
MDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 13:24   #386
Senior - BHPian

Just came across a promo of Mike Brewer's new series "Wheeler Dealers Trading Up". It appears Mike is traversing the world in search of cars to trade up to - and that includes - yes hold your breath - INDIA.
Here's the teaser:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:26   #387
BHPian

Hathway stopped serving this channel. This was on channel 465 and its not available, any Hathway users here noticed the same?
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 16:50   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Hathway stopped serving this channel. This was on channel 465 and its not available, any Hathway users here noticed the same?
It is on channel 806 now.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 10:26   #389
BHPian

Have been following this channel for over 3 years. Watch it when ever i get free time (Rare) and wife decided to hand over the remote control (Super Rare )
Over time this channel has failed to deliver new content but the show i like the most is "Fast N Loud", Love the work these guys do in their gas monkey garage. Richard and aaron are super funny too.. still remember the pontiac trans am build they did, that one was just
Mashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 16:04   #390
BHPian

yeah, that is one of the only good program they've got now. I rarely switch on the channel, but when I do its usually some reality truck driver shows or something in that vein. No fresh automotive programs.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote