Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 10:49   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bokaro Steel
Posts: 245
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Insurance statistics for accidents

for Mods Please shift this in appropriate section if needed

well I was going thru the topic "broken down cars on Indian Roads" when this idea re struck my mind.

I wanted to know if in India we have any Insurance survey or statistics which show about the no of accident a particular car model has met, no of casualties, cost of repair etc.

Also i believe that insurance companies should give discounts to models having air bag and ABS and theft preventive equipment, to drivers who have long history of accident free driving.

what do u say?
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 18:04   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

You are right on that just like the life mortality tables you have data for the above as well. But I suspect it wont be very easy to obtain that data and that it is sold by the Actuarial profession at a certain cost.

I am not sure though.
indianchiefrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 09:58   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,763
Thanked: 89,540 Times
Default

Quote:
I wanted to know if in India we have any Insurance survey or statistics which show about the no of accident a particular car model has met, no of casualties, cost of repair etc.
Even if someone compiled this type of data, the auto industry will make sure it's never published. Especially those manufacturers whose cars top the list.

I agree with you in that, it would be invaluable information.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 10:18   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

I believe if 80% of the cars running on our roads were equipped with safety devices (read airbags, ABS, tracking equipments) when then this kind of data/statistics would have been helpful. We could conclude which company had the maximum and minimal life support failures.
But, since more than 80% of vehicles plying on our roads lack these "features" the data/statistics is not very useful. It would tilt towards the manufacturer making maximum number of sales and making maximum number of passenger vehicles.

To give an example:
There was an episode aired on Discovery (I don't remember that well), where a young guy had an accident and the was thrown off road in a ditch in woods.
The search team took around 3 days to find him and they did find him alive and he had lost some 18 kgs of weight and ....

The point is if the car had some kind of a tracker then authorities could pin point his location within hours of him reported missing and save a life.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 10:22   #5
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 796
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even if someone compiled this type of data, the auto industry will make sure it's never published. Especially those manufacturers whose cars top the list.

I agree with you in that, it would be invaluable information.
Nice observation. As a corollary, is it not true that max number of accidents will involve vehicles that is found on road in larger numbers?

If such an exercise was carried out, we might find some manufacturers even falling out of favor of insurance companies due to high accident rate.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 10:34   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
is it not true that max number of accidents will involve vehicles that is found on road in larger numbers?
That is what I said in my previous post
Quote:
If such an exercise was carried out, we might find some manufacturers even falling out of favor of insurance companies due to high accident rate.
I'm sure the insurance companies have that data. But again very little is useful.
When it comes to a top end i20 and Omni no prizes for guessing who would find favour with the insurance companies.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 13:27   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bokaro Steel
Posts: 245
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

thats what i was saying like the "percentage of car sold which met with accident"?

what was the casualty rate for suppose Honda city ZX to verna SX or casualty rate of i10 With airbag with spark LT?

would'n it be helpful for people like us to know which cars are safer at least till we have compulsory crash test in India?

and also we would know how much a car repair gonna cost us in a minor or major accident?

which cars are more prone to theft?

regards
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 14:46   #8
aby
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
thats what i was saying like the "percentage of car sold which met with accident"?

what was the casualty rate for suppose Honda city ZX to verna SX or casualty rate of i10 With airbag with spark LT?

would'n it be helpful for people like us to know which cars are safer at least till we have compulsory crash test in India?

and also we would know how much a car repair gonna cost us in a minor or major accident?

which cars are more prone to theft?

regards
Percentage of cars sold meeting with an accident: I am not sure if that is a good stat to use. For example certain cars are by default used as taxis (Indica, Omni) etc. These cars are in general driven by semi-educated rash drivers and also spend more time on road.

For example if you compare Indica with Santro (Comparable cars with comparable sales figures) I am sure Indica will have a much higher accident rate and most of them would be taxis.
aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 16:18   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

With the deregulation of the Insurance industry, I'm sure we will ranking of cars on Safety into Groups, like it is in UK. And so the premium will be based not only on the IDV but also on the safety of the car.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travails of the poor in seeking Insurance compensation after fatal accidents esteem_lover Street Experiences 16 23rd August 2012 01:01
indian car import statistics mktgheadferrari The Indian Car Scene 10 28th February 2006 10:50
Statistics on European car sales RJK The International Automotive Scene 1 13th July 2005 22:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks