Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th September 2015, 13:05   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

In a country where the most 'powerful' production car (not counting imports , cbu or high end cars) fails to hit 150 bhp it's funny to speak about performance.

We can speak about performance and here's why, if you take a look at our automobile history. It was the HM Ambassador, Premier Padmini, followed by 800 and then newer vehicles with more power started trickling in slowly. Ask any older person to drive a Polo GT Tsi today and he will be scared when he floors the throttle. The point I am trying to make is compared to the vehicles we were getting a decade ago the newer ones have considerably more power. Whereas if you take a country like Germany into consideration they were building powerful cars way before we even knew what power was, to storm the Autobahn's. So naturally for a person driving a 800 5-7 years back and a Brio/ Polo/ Corolla whatever car it may be today, will find the performance to be miles ahead. Just imagine how great 100BHP would have felt like a decade back that even today we revere the Fiat Palio GTX/ S10. Taking only power into consideration and not driving capability.

I'm sorry but expecting a 150+ BHP production car for less than 9-10l ex-showroom(I assumed this price) in our country with high taxes, will always be a dream.

What about the Skoda Octavia 1.8TSi or the Chevrolet Cruze? yes we do get great power but at a greater price.

Last edited by Shanksta : 26th September 2015 at 13:13.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 17:56   #137
BHPian

Default Re: India's ultimate sleeper cars currently in production

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Well it is 10.6 to be precise. So I guess it is in a small way somewhat of a sleeper.
That is way faster than what I expected it to be, are you talking about the TRD Liva?
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 18:37   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
That is way faster than what I expected it to be, are you talking about the TRD Liva?
He is talking of Etios (sedan). I have heard very good reviews of their 1.5 L petrol engine, which seems to have good torque delivery at low rpm. With the light body of Etios, it is not surprising that it reaches 100 in close to 10 seconds. I think the same engine is used in the TRD sportivo Liva.
JonSnow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 18:44   #139
BHPian

Smile Re: India's ultimate sleeper cars currently in production

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Well it is 10.6 to be precise. So I guess it is in a small way somewhat of a sleeper.
The Etios petrol takes 11.4 second to hit 100Kmph.

Source1

Source2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
The TRD Liva petrol takes 11.88seconds (source) to hit 100Kmph, the reason is as follows ( quoting from the Official Team-BHP review (Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review))

Quote:
It must be mentioned that the Liva 1.5L is 5 kilos heavier than the Etios base variant.

Last edited by Shanksta : 26th September 2015 at 18:46.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 15:08   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
In a country where the most 'powerful' production car (not counting imports , cbu or high end cars) fails to hit 150 bhp it's funny to speak about performance.
It's not.

Performance is always relative. A Bugatti Veyron owner will find the Ferrari 360 to be 'slow'. I know some guys for whom 400 BHP just isn't enough. Just like how a Toyota Corolla is considered as a 'compact' car in USA, but is a big car in India.

Keeping in mind the average output of Indian cars, a 103 BHP Polo GT is indeed 'fast' and has good 'performance'.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2015 at 15:09.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 18:59   #141
BHPian

Take a 1983 VW Beetle that makes 23.9 KW, mod it to make 10 times as much power and beat a Porsche 911 Carrera in a quarter mile drag strip - now we are talking sleeper

Warning: feature length video - about 48 minutes

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 29th September 2015 at 19:07.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:10   #142
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would add one (new) car currently available for sale in this list: S-Cross 1.6.
Vishal.R is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 00:48   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
I would add one (new) car currently available for sale in this list: S-Cross 1.6.
Totally agree Vishal. I can vouch for it since I own one. Unfortunately, it is one hell of a sleeper and does not get the respect it actually deserves while on the road. However, a tap on the accelerator (especially while in turbo zone) is enough to change this. The acceleration and torque surge once in turbo range makes much bigger cars wonder what just crossed them. I am still running in and have not tapped the full capacity of the engine - but still I have given quite some cars a run for its money.
Vigkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 11:37   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Came to this thread to list 1.6. Happy to see it is already listed.
Like Vigkey mentioned, it is one of the best stock sleeper car. Feel like it defies physics sometimes (just kidding).
prasanna_indaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 18:42   #145
BHPian

I would suggest a list of 'sleeper driver' category too!

Haryana Roadways drivers would top my list

As far as cars, Accord V6 , and even Grand Vitara V6.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 25th February 2016 at 18:49.
wanderhermit is offline   Reply With Quote