Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2010, 19:36   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Most of the I20 sales are for the cheap variants for about 6L and lesser and not the fully loaded asta diesel. With its new engine I really doubt if Ford can play the numbers game unless they plonk the Figo 1.4 TDCi and really launch a cheap variant.
Different story where i live. 80% cars are ASTA i hardly spot any ERA's.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:42   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Different story where i live. 80% cars are ASTA i hardly spot any ERA's.
bhai most of the sales of i20 are of the magna variant in Chandigarh and dealer just tell that era is not available and is out of production
Old 13th October 2010, 19:13   #288
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

What if its larger and have more options compared to the existing model? I think it will make sense for buyers at that range, right?
May be, but, that will take it to the nice super premium territory. Ford will look for volumes in this segment.
Old 16th October 2010, 11:57   #289
BHPian

Ford is definitly going to squeeze the big hatch in the new Swift , i20 territory, & maybe the etios too ,, although looking at figo , they should really try to make it more VFM which sadly the i20 diesel is not. This can only be achieved by higher level of localization.
Old 25th October 2010, 00:24   #290
Team-BHP Support

This week's CNB show on NDTV featured the European Fiesta.
What seemed surprising was they mentioned, we may still see the 1.2L engine on to the hatch.

Now that (if happens) would be a big let down. We already have a Figo with 1.2P/1.4D options.
Now what we need is 1.6P or 1.6D (Possible?) Options. The same Figo engines wont work for this hatch.

Also the 1.6 Duratech has been serving the Fiesta/Fusion line. It does not make sense for the Fiesta hatch to have a 1.2L performing duty.
Lets wait and watch. The program claimed, Ford targeting release for 1Q 2011.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2010 at 00:26.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:20   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This week's CNB show on NDTV featured the European Fiesta.
What seemed surprising was they mentioned, we may still see the 1.2L engine on to the hatch.
In UK, there's a 1.2 (probably just bigger than 1200 CC) and the review is not bad

Ford Fiesta 1.25i Zetec - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk

Ford should look to get it to make about 80 horses, if it wants to compete with i20

Mustang was indicating that the hatch could be bigger than 4m i.e it could be the same one introduced in the US in which case 1.2/1.4 dont need to be launched, on the other hand the test mules are the Euro versions

Personally I feel, Ford would be better off launching just the 1.4 TDCi as base and forget the petrol version (if it is 1.2) and then give the 1.6s for the higher variants.

1Q2011 is also inline with Mustang's expectation.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:03   #292
Team-BHP Support

That is exactly what I meant. We already have the Figo with the 1.2P/1.4D spec. Why would some buy another hatch for the same engine specs? It would then become an I10/I20 like story. Since the price band being targeted are different they should plan to offer bigger engines for the fiesta hatch.

If they have 1.6 itself as base, that would differentiate them with respect to Jazz/Fabia/Polo (who only have high end 1.6 and Jazz does not have an equivalent).

If they want to keep the costs down they can also follow the same method. But they should provide a 1.6 option at least.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:47   #293
BHPian

Quote:

If they have 1.6 itself as base, that would differentiate them with respect to Jazz/Fabia/Polo (who only have high end 1.6 and Jazz does not have an equivalent).

If they want to keep the costs down they can also follow the same method. But they should provide a 1.6 option at least.
Ford also have to pander to the FE crowd because they want to add to the Figo volumes.

My guess would be that with Figo doing about 6K per month, they would ideally want about 2K each from the Fiesta hatch and sedan, and the current Fiesta doing about 500-600 per month i.e 10K cars per month from almost the same platform.

However they also need to differentiate between the sedan and the hatch so that they get people to buy the sedan. May be different states of tune ? Sedan with the TiVCT head and hatch with the 1.6 Duratec ?

P.S Fusion would have been my first car, having followed it religiously all over Chennai when it was being tested I was totally obsessed with it ,unfortunately Ford launched it at a stratospheric price for me and I had to settle for an Indica. Its deja vu now with the Fiesta, but I hope the pricing is more reasonable.
Old 25th October 2010, 14:07   #294
Team-BHP Support

You spoke my thoughts!
As to Fusion I have been driving it for the 5+ years!.
(I have the Fusion+ petrol)!
Old 25th October 2010, 15:09   #295
BHPian

Quote:
You spoke my thoughts!
As to Fusion I have been driving it for the 5+ years!.
(I have the Fusion+ petrol)!
Yes, I know, I have read ( no make it re-read) your thread but never posted on it, there are very few ownership threads about the Fusion on this forum. Congrats on it ! Albeit very late.

Damn, I should have got one before it was discontinued.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:15   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Yes, I know, I have read ( no make it re-read) your thread but never posted on it, there are very few ownership threads about the Fusion on this forum. Congrats on it ! Albeit very late.

Damn, I should have got one before it was discontinued.
Thanks! Since now it was time for me to change (in 1-2 years), I am not sure what get to?

Having experienced the Fusion 1.6, I definitely dont want to go back to 1.2L.
Hence was keen on the 1.6 Hatch. Some how the Fiesta hatch equipment levels also did not impress me much, based on what they showed on the CNB program.

This was one hatch, which I had good hopes on. But looks like, it may not be the one I want after all. Polo/Fabia 1.6 are also questionable. Any VW territory is still hesitation for me.

The other option is Jazz, but that again is 1.2.

My theory was that based on the new 1.2 brigade at 4-6L range we may see in near future 1.4/1.6 hot hatches in the 6-8L range. I20, Jazz may come with such options in the next 1-2 years. (I am an optimist). This may be possible as these guys may want to get one to model to counter the Polo/Fabia 1.6 (may bring as higher end trims).

Lets see what happens. Still waiting for better things to happen!
Old 25th October 2010, 18:10   #297
BHPian

It would be a big dissapointment if ford does not get the 1.6 version!

Ford Malaysia

The specs of hatch with 1.6 Automatic is mouth watering ! hope it makes it our shores sooner than later.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

The sedan being tested somewhere near their Chennai plant.

Source: Autocarindia.com
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2010, 17:09   #299
BHPian

It looks ridiculously disproportionate, worse than SX4 (well, that is just me, no offences to anyone).
Old 8th November 2010, 17:13   #300
Senior - BHPian

It may look off beat in some of those test pictures, but this is one gorgeous sedan, while the design maybe a little flashy for some, but it is a very good car for it's segment and if Ford plays it right, it might be up to give a good challenge to it's competetion.

Regards,
Closed Thread