Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 18:09   #121
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
So if the current Fiesta retains the current name, what will the new Fiesta be called? Or will the current Fiesta get a different name? I bet your Marketing team must be chewing on this at the moment.
What I have come to know is that the new one might be called Fiesta _____, Like you find Accent Viva.

Probably a good suggestion from my side to my company would be that the new one should be named "Fiesta Verve" as this does justice to its concept name also.

I just hope that the big bosses take notice of this.
Mustang.101 is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 10:53   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,750
Thanked: 89,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
What I have come to know is that the new one might be called Fiesta _____, Like you find Accent Viva.
I'm not too sure of this. See, the Accent Viva was based on the same generation Accent, and was a mere derivative of the sedan body style. Similar to the Indigo and the shorter Indigo CS.

However, the new Fiesta is an all new generation...a completely new car. It's important to communicate the "all new" message, either with an all new name, or use the same Fiesta badge (only if current Fiesta is discontinued). But selling an old Fiesta as "Fiesta" and the new gen as "Fiesta XXX" side-by-side doesn't sound like a good idea (from the marketing view point).

Personally, I think it'd be best for Ford to discontinue the current Fiesta, and sell only the new gen.
GTO is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 11:40   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not too sure of this. See, the Accent Viva was based on the same generation Accent, and was a mere derivative of the sedan body style. Similar to the Indigo and the shorter Indigo CS.

However, the new Fiesta is an all new generation...a completely new car. It's important to communicate the "all new" message, either with an all new name, or use the same Fiesta badge (only if current Fiesta is discontinued). But selling an old Fiesta as "Fiesta" and the new gen as "Fiesta XXX" side-by-side doesn't sound like a good idea (from the marketing view point).

Personally, I think it'd be best for Ford to discontinue the current Fiesta, and sell only the new gen.
Right on both counts.
However, there is a problem elsewhere. The iKon is a old car now and needs to be discontinued.
That's the reason I will actually support having the current Fiesta still in production for some time, albeit with a different name. Here's what they can do:

a. Call it, Ford Find (bad name, can't come up with anything else) and give it a facelift. It has to look different from the current version in order for it to not hurt resale of the current version.

b.Plonk in the 1.4litre engine (petrol,it initially came with) with tweaks to bump the power up to 90horses, continue with the diesel 1.4TDCi (maybe tune it to have a power difference with the Figo/iKon etc.). I suggested the 1.4 litre engine (Petrol) as it would aid product differentiation, with a slightly lower cost of manufacture. They can however, stick to the 1.6 if the hassle of having another engine in the assembly/distribution/spares lines would be a bad overhead.

c. Price it at a premium of 50K version per version over the iKon. The increased refinement and overall execution will make the car work.

Launch the new Fiesta, with the name, Fiesta. While it might seem like step back to many people, I think that the Fiesta in it's current avatar is a fine car, it will be foolish to let go of the advantages of recovered costs. Before someone gives the example of the Toyota Qualis and how they brought in the Innova, recall that the Qualis was a ridiculously outdated product (albeit one that did well due to the lack of decent competition).

Last edited by Amartya : 30th March 2010 at 11:41.
Amartya is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 11:56   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

If i remember Ford owns the copyright to the "splash" name in India.So could they be using this name for the new ford fiesta sedan and hatchback?
avishar is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 12:51   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

If new fiesta is going cost more they should have a new name. Retaining Fiesta name for the car which is going to cost more wont help.
joshdrive is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 13:17   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default

Ford has already registered the name 'Splash' rite!? Is it going to be Fiesta Splash then?
anachronix is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 17:35   #127
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Personally, I think it'd be best for Ford to discontinue the current Fiesta, and sell only the new gen.
Personally i think the same, But then what will fill the sedan gap b/w the figo & the All new fiesta sedan. Plus you know that the fiesta is (*was - now surpassed by the figo) the hottest selling car by ford.



Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
If i remember Ford owns the copyright to the "splash" name in India.So could they be using this name for the new ford fiesta sedan and hatchback?

Yes we do have the copyrights to this name & i guess it might be used for the fiesta hatch(if it comes) & it might be named the 'Fiesta Splash'
Mustang.101 is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 20:58   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
S350L-E240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: India
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

A little off-topic here but Mustang.101, any idea how the response has been to the figo as yet ? Any preliminary sales figures until now?

And on the fiesta I think Ford should follow Honda's strategy and sell the new fiesta as fiesta and perhaps discontinue the older model. Anyways I think as we go ahead in time Indian consumers are soon getting quite dynamic and it will be a matter of time when a lot of people will not accept buying dated models. Just my opinion.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 21:34   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
b.Plonk in the 1.4litre engine (petrol,it initially came with) with tweaks to bump the power up to 90horses, continue with the diesel 1.4TDCi (maybe tune it to have a power difference with the Figo/iKon etc.). I suggested the 1.4 litre engine (Petrol) as it would aid product differentiation, with a slightly lower cost of manufacture. They can however, stick to the 1.6 if the hassle of having another engine in the assembly/distribution/spares lines would be a bad overhead.
Better,reposition the current Fiesta with the engines you mentioned and replace it with the ailing Ikon,which is sure to be phased out soon.Naming it the new Ikon ___ probably.

So the line up in the next couple of years should go like this Figo>new Ikon___(current Fiesta)>new Fiesta hatch>new Fiesta sedan>Focus>Mondeo.
AyAn! is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 21:54   #130
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
A little off-topic here but Mustang.101, any idea how the response has been to the figo as yet ? Any preliminary sales figures until now?

And on the fiesta I think Ford should follow Honda's strategy and sell the new fiesta as fiesta and perhaps discontinue the older model. Anyways I think as we go ahead in time Indian consumers are soon getting quite dynamic and it will be a matter of time when a lot of people will not accept buying dated models. Just my opinion.

Regards,

We will only get to know the March 2010 figures, only next month. Well as far as 'dated' models are considered. A dated design does not mean that its not a worthy car

Example: lets do a comparison b/w the current focus ST & a ford escort cosworth RS.

The focus started selling in 2005, if i am not wrong & the escort came to the UK in 2002.

I'll anyday pick the Escort RS over the focus ST & luckily saw a full fledged track test b/w the two in the UK. The Escort RS was 2.5 seconds faster than the focus ST & I have driven both & let me tell you that personally I would always pick an escort RS over the focus ST.
Mustang.101 is offline  
Old 30th March 2010, 22:27   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
A little off-topic here but Mustang.101, any idea how the response has been to the figo as yet ? Any preliminary sales figures until now?

And on the fiesta I think Ford should follow Honda's strategy and sell the new fiesta as fiesta and perhaps discontinue the older model. Anyways I think as we go ahead in time Indian consumers are soon getting quite dynamic and it will be a matter of time when a lot of people will not accept buying dated models. Just my opinion.

Regards,
Hi 350L, just a point I thought I should put across, Ford would prefer the market demand decide if the current Fiesta is to be phased out or not, I understand you thought the Honda model is ideal.

But actually what Honda did was also get all the classy features of Civic into the Honda City. Well I said almost all, but I am not telling everything. IMHO, I am guessing Ford would also be doing something similar to this. Which should be really good, imagine this at the time of Honda City upgrade if they were offering the old city i.e. NHC for a lesser price (but in a diff name)wouldnt have one bought it.

Moreover, India is one market where the models like Alto, 800, Getz, Santro, Accent survives even post thier successors have arrived, I guess this should work out too.

Last edited by xingamazon : 30th March 2010 at 22:34.
xingamazon is offline  
Old 1st April 2010, 05:07   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

IMHO, they can phase out the iKon and have the old (current) Fiesta with the iKon's 1.3 Petrol and 1.4 TCDi as a silent model (give it a face "lift" (drop ). The new Fiesta should be called something else and positioned above this reworked Fiesta.
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 1st April 2010, 08:22   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
IMHO, they can phase out the iKon and have the old (current) Fiesta with the iKon's 1.3 Petrol and 1.4 TCDi as a silent model (give it a face "lift" (drop ). The new Fiesta should be called something else and positioned above this reworked Fiesta.
Well going by what I see, dont think they will rename the new fiesta into something else. Cos now worldwide including the US, the new Fiesta has garned a brand equity which is valued high, they for sure would not want to loose out on the branding exercise that they have been engaged all this while.
xingamazon is offline  
Old 1st April 2010, 10:10   #134
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Ikon Petrol 1.3 Rocam is phased out from today onwards. Discontinued!
Mustang.101 is offline  
Old 1st April 2010, 11:02   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Ikon Petrol 1.3 Rocam is phased out from today onwards. Discontinued!
Bound to happen some day. I'm saddened.

The Ikon 1.3L ROCAM Petrol (some 70BHP) was a car that humbled some cars like the Accent. On-paper power figures didn't matter at all. The nice low end torque and the racy engine, wow!

However expensive spares+Poor FE (When it's driven the way it SHOULD be driven) = Poor Sales.

The Figo 1.2 L Petrol is sluggish in comparison to the above Ikon. Why?
kiku007 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCOOP PIC : Hyundai Starex MPV/H-1 Minivan spotted testing! rocky080 The Indian Car Scene 21 13th March 2017 15:35
SCOOP Renault's new small car *Modus* caught testing. EDIT : New pics on Page 6 JRAJE The Indian Car Scene 126 4th March 2015 15:22
Scoop Pics : Unidentified Cruiser spotted Testing. EDIT: Harley-Davidson Street 750 ! kpzen Motorbikes 77 19th December 2013 19:43
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 441 25th April 2013 12:26
Scoop Pics: Ford Figo facelift spotted testing Auto freak The Indian Car Scene 92 15th October 2012 16:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks