Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th February 2010, 13:13   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
God knows when the BMP is going to bring such a rule here in Bangalore. Its a hopeless scenario when parking space is tight in our metros.
LOL. Wish for something which bangalore requires instead of these things. Half of bangalore does not have roads and rest dug up. An on that you wish people to pay 1000 rs as fine for cleaning their cars?? has the roads even been cleaned once a month (Im not talking about sadashiv nagar or dollars colony) ?

Build a neat and clean infrastructure. then come back with these fines for dirtying or misutilising what ever it is.

Last edited by livyodream : 10th February 2010 at 13:15.
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
(Im not talking about sadashiv nagar or dollars colony) ?
You would be surprised to know that these areas are also epi-centers of unplanned road digging and construction work.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:49   #93
BHPian

I love the way rules and fines just keep being made arbitrarily in Mumbai, there is a new rule every week i'm sure they've lost track of what rules they themselves have created. Just bizarre
ishaanranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Owning a car now a days is not a Luxury. It has become a necessity for many.

.....Sometimes the cost benefit analysis just doesn't fit.
Owning a private aircraft is also a necessity for some people, who feel scheduled airlines are too ordinary for them.

How will cost benefit analysis fit when cost is ZERO? The minute you start imposing costs then people start using their calculators..

There are some things we CANNOT change because it is too late:

Fact is we have cities with overpopulation, narrow road, no control on immigration unlike China and so on..

Then we have to see how best to manage situation.

That brings us to topic of encouraging public transportation, keeping car USAGE cost (same theme discussed in another topic about tax on cars) high but ownership cost low. I say USAGE - that includes road tolls, heavy tax on key CBD areas, heavy parking charges in commercial areas, reasonable but still meaningful parking charges in any part, high cost of fuel (already), higher road tax or annual fee, stricter licensing and driving norms, higher (much higher) fines for violation and so on...all this is quite the norm in any advanced country particularly space starved ones like Singapore or HK or Tokyo and should be in India too if not today tomorrow.

Car ownership cost can be kept low because it is an aspirational buy as much as utilitarian buy. Plus it encourages manufacturing.

We have to lobby for such changes and for good public transport.

Simply saying 'solve all problems first then tax me' is irresponsible. It is our country, we are not in colonial rule.

Last edited by Traxter : 10th February 2010 at 14:03.
Traxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:04   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
actually i think both are connected. people cannot afford a house/apartment with parking space and hence park their cars outside. since the car needs to be cleaned, it happens on the road.
I'll reiterate - It's not always about affording it. Some times the investment is not justified.

Quote:
to keep people from buying cars and congesting the roads, in Singapore (and i guess other places where they're are short on real estate) the price of owning a car is very steep. only the rich can afford it. the rest stick to public transport.
This will sound lame BUT we are NOT Singapore or the US or the UK. What works there may not necessarily work here. I think we should stop copy pasting solutions from other countries. Things here work differently.

And public transport? Seriously the lesser said the better. Flame me for saying this but people (me included) have to travel like cattle in public transport. I salute their undying spirit of doing this day in day out.

Quote:
i don't think in India the car dealers sell you a car only if you can afford a parking space. if that were the case, they'd out of business and we'd have less congested cities.
Population is to blame here, not the number of cars, or roadside parking

Quote:
maybe, one solution to the "washing the car on the roadside" could be (as someone has mentioned before) affordable drive-through car wash.
I pay 200 bucks a month to get my car washed. That's roughly 6.66 Rs. a day. Something to match this price? I don't think so.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:07   #96
BHPian

Quote:
OT:
cost of getting a license should be increased many folds. hopefully this will get some sense into people. for example, my sister paid almost 60k INR to get her license in Brussels. there, depending on the seriousness of the violation, the license can be cancelled. so if you need a new license, you end up shelling out another 60k. i hear they've a similar rule in UK too.
Same in Singapore...compulsory driving school fees, test fee etc. can add to more than Rs.60k. Plus you lose it for violations considered trivial in India. People throw party sometimes for passing test because it is very tough and takes several attempts for many...
Old 10th February 2010, 14:52   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
LOL. Wish for something which bangalore requires instead of these things. Half of bangalore does not have roads and rest dug up. An on that you wish people to pay 1000 rs as fine for cleaning their cars?? has the roads even been cleaned once a month (Im not talking about sadashiv nagar or dollars colony) ?

Build a neat and clean infrastructure. then come back with these fines for dirtying or misutilising what ever it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You would be surprised to know that these areas are also epi-centers of unplanned road digging and construction work.
I second that. As a resident of DC i can vouch that we have our share of infrastructure issues. It started with drain stinking away, then flooding. Just recently the BBMP has patched up most of the roads.
However coming to the topic, i have seen very few people in DC who was their cars on the road. We are law abiding people
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 18:58   #98
BHPian

This is turning out to be a baiting game but still U have to admit that we car owners are having a free ride with using scarce public spaces without paying for it. Not to worry as all these will fall into place in the future like how its in UK where parking fee is so heavy that people use tubes in most parts of the city.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 19:02   #99
BHPian

Necessity is the mother of all creations, somebody has thought of an innovative way to make money.

If BMC is particluar, why are the dust bins always stinking with Garbage strewn around.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 20:43   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
how its in UK where parking fee is so heavy that people use tubes in most parts of the city.
In Hongkong, 6 months of office hours parking in a good Central building can cost more than a Nano. That is over and above what you pay to park it overnight @ home or nearby which can be a tidy sum too...

Our property prices, in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore are sky high for a third world country, reflecting the scarcity of land, overpopulation and of course, RE mafia...

However, parking is either free or pathetically charged right now impoverishing the state / city and benefiting us folks. Let us enjoy it while we can...
Old 10th February 2010, 21:03   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxter View Post
But it is about time they (and other cities, particularly drought prone ones) started imposing water usage restrictions.
And charging for parking on road side.
And force apartments to build with parking lots for each flat - like in advanced societies.
Could we please have separate threads on the issue of conservation and municipal rules regarding car parking?

GTO started this thread with a bit of news about the utter idiocy of the BMC, but given the extent members here have dragged the thread off-course, I believe even the babus at BMC who might chance upon this thread would laugh their heads off, because members on this forum support and want such weird rules. I would be no surprise if BMC imposed a "tax" of Rs.5000 per month for parking your car on the streets, non-payment of which will result in the car being run under a road-roller.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 21:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
GTO started this thread with a bit of news about the utter idiocy of the BMC, but given the extent members here have dragged the thread off-course, I believe even the babus at BMC who might chance upon this thread would laugh their heads off, because members on this forum support and want such weird rules. I would be no surprise if BMC imposed a "tax" of Rs.5000 per month for parking your car on the streets, non-payment of which will result in the car being run under a road-roller.
, was just browsing this entire thread and found discussion go way .
It started from washing on road -> parking on road -> restricted ownership of car -> poor public transport -> high population -> what next? -> birth control?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 01:11   #103
SLK
Senior - BHPian

if I could have it my way!...

I'd fine these idiots, for making a mess of the city, for not cleaning, for not knowing how and what to clean.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:06   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I feel that it is the builders who are to be blamed. 16 lakhs for a stilt parking in the usual rate in an around Kandivali area.

16L !!! or was it supposed to be 1.6L... A house comes at 16L in many places - car park at 16L is obnoxious. I would spend the rest of my life using auto rather
srikanths1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 12:31   #105
BHPian

Delhi HC moots congestion fee on cars - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Off thread or On thread, we need some kind of thread to focus on the socially and environmentally negative aspects of car ownership (including washing ) and ways to proactively deal with it..

Look there is another 'threat' of congestion fee:

Delhi HC moots congestion fee on cars - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Quote:
Road space can't be monopolized by one mode of transport when bulk of the population depends on public transport.