Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2010, 20:13   #166
Senior - BHPian

Its not really ugly by any means and since when was toyota known was its beautiful cars?The Etios is just what its meant to be a car to ferry you from point A to B comfortably,reliably and efficiently.It is a car for the head and not for the heart and the looks portray it.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

I think there are definite hints of this being a recycled Daihatsu, but this wont stop it from selling well in India, as long as they price it sensibly.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:22   #168
BHPian

May be OT, but Toyota's marketing machinery has been set in motion it seems. Few months ago when the roadshow was about to hit Chennai, I called up one of the dealers to find out where the Etios would be displayed, I left my name and number with a lady who promised to inform me(but I did not). I thought that was end of the matter like with most dealerships.

A couple of weeks ago I received a SMS from Toyota asking me to visit toyotaetios.in and register, which I did, I got a call yesterday from a person who said he was calling from Toyota. There was no marketing crap, just a series of questions like a demographic survey.

Questions that were of interest to me were

1) Which version was I interested in hatch or sedan ? - I said I am open to both
2) What was my current car ?
3) What was my budget ? - I replied as 6-6.5L max for which he said would it be okay to mark it down as 5-7 L.

He then indicated that another person would call up to confirm the answers (!!) and ask some more questions, and invited me to visit toyotabharat.com
Old 9th August 2010, 12:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

I too got a call from Toyota asking the same questions as indivic mentioned. When I asked him the expected date of launch, he said though initially it was planned for this Diwali, it has been postponed now, and the tentative launch would be by Jan 2011. But this guy being a market research guy, dont know to what extent this would be true.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Etios will be lauched in December or January.

Source : Toyota's small car Etios to be launched by December or January

Article :

Quote:
NDORE: Toyota Motors Corporation will launch its small car 'Etios' by the year end or in January 2011 in India.

"Etios will be launched by December or January in Indian market and after it meets its expected target of sale, it will be exported," TKM Managing Director Hiroshi Nakagawa said today.

He said the company is looking at sales volume of 70,000 units in the first year. However, he did not shed light on the car's price.

TMC with Kirloskar Group has a joint venture - Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) in India.

TMC's chief for India said they had focused on vehicles - Innova, Carola and Fortunar adding that such variants have limited consumer market. So we are moving to small car manufacturing segment, Nakagawa said.

He said their presence in the Indian car market was three per cent adding they were marching step by step ahead.

India is an expanding car market but to be honest it was a tough one as well, he said.

Nakagawa said the TKM was setting up a separate small car manufacturing plant in Bangalore, second in India.

He said the present production strength of their Banglore plant was 80,000 annually and the second plant will be in operation by mid-December.

Nakagawa said the second plant will roll out 70,000 units in a year, adding its strength will be enhanced to two lakh unit following consumers' demand.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:38   #171
BHPian

Some more news and snaps of Toyota Etios - Indore Stop Over - Check this link :
Toyota Q World in Indore - Etios Hatchback and Sedan Concept (CTI Exclusive) | CarTradeIndia.com

Courtesy : New Cars, Used Cars, Sell Car, Buy Car, New Cars India, Buy Used Cars, Used & New Bikes | CarTradeIndia.com
Old 9th August 2010, 16:55   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Its not really ugly by any means and since when was toyota known was its beautiful cars?The Etios is just what its meant to be a car to ferry you from point A to B comfortably,reliably and efficiently.It is a car for the head and not for the heart and the looks portray it.
+1 on that one! You have just mentioned Toyota's take on cars in a nutshell.
Ignoring the looks (which quite a few Indian customers do), I think we can expect a comfortable, reliable and hugely efficient car.
And with the recent launch of the Altis diesel and the Fortuner still putting the sales charts on fire, I think Toyota is having a real good time here in India.
So basically people will queue up for anything that TKM throws at them!
Old 10th August 2010, 14:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I got a call from Toyota, some Bangalore number, and the lady on phone informed me that Etios hatch and sedan petrol variants will be launched sometime during 1st week of Jan. 2011. She called to confirm my postal address so that she can mail me all the details about Etios!! Lets see whats on the way for me .

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th August 2010 at 14:34.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:11   #174
BHPian

Source : Economic Times

Toyota studying Indian market to launch hybrid small car Etios

NEW DELHI: The world's largest carmaker, Toyota, on Thursday said it will study the Indian market to launch a hybrid version of its proposed small car 'Etios', which will be commercially launched by the end of this year.

"We are looking at every possible alternative to launch 'Etios', apart from diesel and petrol variant, we will study the market and demand for launching the car in other fuel options (LPG and CNG) and hybrid mode," Toyota Motor Asia Pacific President Mitsuhiro Sonoda told reporters on the sidelines of the annual SIAM convention.

He, however, declined to give any timeframe to launch the car in the alternate fuel option.

The company, which is present in India through a joint venture with Kirloskar Group, is investing Rs 32,00 crore to set up its second facility in Bangalore for launching 'Etios' in both Sedan and hatchpack version with petrol and diesel options by the end of this year.

"We'll have to discuss the issue of launching with other fuel options with the Government. It will also depend on the availability of infrastructure in the country. We will decide at the appropriate time," Sonoda said.

The company is expecting to sell about 65,000 units of the 'Etios' next year.

When asked about exports, Sonoda said the company will evaluate overseas market after consolidating its position with 'Etios' in India.

Toyota studying Indian market to launch hybrid small car Etios - Automobiles - Auto - News By Industry - News - The Economic Times
Old 26th August 2010, 19:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

The hybrid Etios is a good idea,provided they dont charge a huge premium for it like the Civic hybrid.This would only be possible if they source the assemble the Hybrid here itself with the electrical components locally.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:46   #176
BHPian

"When asked about exports, Sonoda said the company will evaluate overseas market after consolidating its position with 'Etios' in India" - well that is BS - if they have any plans of exporting, they should have said that by now. Or does Toyota think we Indian's are stupid?
Old 26th August 2010, 20:07   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
"When asked about exports, Sonoda said the company will evaluate overseas market after consolidating its position with 'Etios' in India" - well that is BS - if they have any plans of exporting, they should have said that by now. Or does Toyota think we Indian's are stupid?
That is a typical response from a Toyota management person, they never come out with their plans too far in advance.

This is simply because of the detail to which they would have forecasted the sales in Indian market and their production capacity ramp up , they might even mention the monthly production targets.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:17   #178
BHPian

IMO the hatch looks quiet hot and will sell in decent numbers if it comes with the right pricing and engine, Toyata's name will really help there to a large extent. But the sedan has a cut throat competition. Except for the logan which looks as bland as etios sedan, the other players in the segment are well streamlined. I doubt if it would set the charts on fire - specially with the well designed vento coming in.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:24   #179
Team-BHP Support

I now keep seeing almost daily Etios-teaser ads by Toyota in Bangalore Mirror. I dont think the launch can be too far off.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:52   #180
BHPian

Toyota to start trial production of Etios in Sept says ET here-

Toyota to start trial production of Etios in Sept - Automobiles - Auto - News By Industry - News - The Economic Times

Does this indicate that the launch is very near? How long does it take normally from trial production to actual one?
Closed Thread