Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th September 2010, 12:04   #196
Senior - BHPian

IMO its not ugly - its just plain jane.
Price this one correctly Toyota - and you have got yourselves a winner.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:04   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ I find the Sedan version as bad looking and dated as the Mahindra Logan. From rear and certain angles it looks strikingly similar to the Logan.

The sedan looks like Logan & Hatch like ZEN
Old 8th September 2010, 12:09   #198
BHPian

I'll be able to understand the logic behind launching this vehicle only after it hits the road. Is this going to be a Mass Taxi fleet offering by Toyota for the Metros or are they seriously targeting the private buyers ?

I'd much rather have seen Toyota bring in the Yaris if there was any plans of exploring the sub 10lac bracket.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:13   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
The sedan looks like Logan & Hatch like ZEN
And Both of them look dated. The sad thing is, at a time when we have the latest hatchbacks available to us like the Micra, i20, Ritz and the upcoming new Swift, Toyota is planning to launch cars which look a decade old even before the launch.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:17   #200
BHPian

The design totally lacks any imagination in Etios. My prediction is this car is going to be a bigger failure than even Logan and may only survive thanks to the taxi segment buyers. Toyota seems to have totally under-estimated the Indian market this time, wonder what feedback they got while doing all the pre-market surveys all this while. Imagine the way these cars look without those good looking alloy wheels and that is what is going to be the end product. For the record, even Indica Vista looked good with glamorous alloys when launched but here even they can't hide the ugly design.

There are many factors for the success of Qualis, prime one being lack of quality competition. Its rivals were the equally age old Sumo and Bolero with more ancient mechanicals which Qualis could easily surpass. Same is not the case with Etios, all the cars in its segment are modern, look reasonably good and offer lots of quality and reliability. This decision of Toyota to launch Etios could do more harm to them than good in India because they have earned a good image thanks mainly due to good dealership support and offering current global products like Corolla, Altis and Innova along with the miraculous success of Qualis thanks mainly due to under-developed segment.

P.S.: I don't like to be seen in these cars unless they are city taxis.

Last edited by v.anand : 8th September 2010 at 12:28.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
IMO its not ugly - its just plain jane.
Price this one correctly Toyota - and you have got yourselves a winner.
You must be a diehard fan of Toyota to call it "not ugly" and a "winner".
Old 8th September 2010, 13:50   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
My prediction is this car is going to be a bigger failure than even Logan and may only survive thanks to the taxi segment buyers.
I don't think there is any comparison between Renault and Toyota. Toyota is a established brand and carries a lot of trust in the eyes of the consumer. This will make sure it doesn't flop. Whether it will lead the sales chart is a different question altogether considering how crowded the market is. I have my doubts on that myself.
IMO if a brand like Toyota had luanched the Logan it wouldn't have failed in the first place considering that fact that it was a good car except for it's looks. People do not go by looks if the brands are trust worthy (ask Maruti or Hyundai )
Besides if we consider the 1.4L diesel engine that is doing duty in the Corolla Altis in a smaller car we are looking at a very competitive hatch and a entry level sedan. It only boils down to pricing now.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 8th September 2010 at 13:54.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:52   #203
evo
BHPian

Ug(h)ly. The design looks as immature as a PAL design or like the old Tata Prima sedan. However, people bought the Qualis. Not just bought it, but also did maha pujan to make Toyota keep churning it out. So !
Old 8th September 2010, 13:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You must be a diehard fan of Toyota to call it "not ugly" and a "winner".
Well - not a diehard fan - but take a look at the qualis and the way it had sold.
Tell me - if you get this entry level toyota sedan with all features and price of a manza, which one would you pick up? (Thus the winner term - just a hope though!)
Old 8th September 2010, 13:58   #205
BHPian

Quote:
The sad thing is, at a time when we have the latest hatchbacks available to us like the Micra, i20, Ritz and the upcoming new Swift, Toyota is planning to launch cars which look a decade old even before the launch.
I doubt it, considering the looks of Ford Figo (looks quite out of the movies 90s) it is selling in good volumes compared to other best lookers (say a Beat, Ritz, Punto, etc.)

With the "Toyota promise", I do believe that the car will definitely click some good sales numbers. What will be interesting to see is how the local competition reacts to it, say Maruti, TATA, Mahindra (when they launch their small car / micro SUV).

Toyota has been in among the top three in any category they have launched a vehicle in India. So, it shows the brand perception among the indian public for the company. This image will only be enhanced by a product that is more affordable.

Ford figo is a good example of what an VFM car could do to a brand as a whole.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:21   #206
BHPian

I guess looks do not matter too much, as long as the car isn't repulsively ugly.

VFM will work for Toyota. Priced right, the Etios will fly out of showrooms. And there is the brand value and reliability aspect.

My parents love Toyota's and are putting off a Hatch buying decision till Etios comes out.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:29   #207
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... now i know why toyota is not displaying these cars in the Q promise ad campaign.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:50   #208
BHPian

Toyota is banking too much on their brand image. They have tried to keep it as ordinary they can possibly keep. It has resulted in huge cost savings for them which I can testify - They have not hired any designers for the Etios project!
Old 8th September 2010, 14:59   #209
BHPian

Quote:
And Both of them look dated. The sad thing is, at a time when we have the latest hatchbacks available to us like the Micra, i20, Ritz and the upcoming new Swift, Toyota is planning to launch cars which look a decade old even before the launch.
Even Micra, Ritz and to a certain extent i20 have their weaknesses in terms of overall design, not to mention the Figo and the Vista.

For me the its the front which looks dated, especially the rectangular/trapezoidal shape of the lamps, otherwise my guess is that the design brief was to make the hatchback with a Swift profile, but cost aspects led to the front look like it does.

What would matter more is the engineering beneath and the interiors (from the concept pics, the interiors are quite nice with grey and red pattern, large door pockets on all doors, flat floor in the rear )

Last edited by indivic : 8th September 2010 at 15:01.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Default Etios India site

I got an SMS with this link http://etios.co.in/ where you can register for the Etios
Closed Thread