Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Which one has the upper hand as far as overall appeal is concerned ?
BMW 530D (f10) 98 65.77%
MERCEDES E350 CDI (w212) 51 34.23%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 11:36   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

& a couple more :P ( call me crazy )
Attached Images
  
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 17:18   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,455
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Notice the similarity in the tail-light effect.
Attached Images
 
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 16:25   #48
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

I have to say that both of them have overworked on their design and messed up a little. To begin with, I like the merc's front but they have clearly messed up with the back. What could have been a clean and classy design is now a german-korean hybrid! Many potential customers must have been lost due to the flawed rear end. Maybe they can now hire chris bangle as bmw has gone back to basic so! That would make one interesting merc!

And coming to the Beemer, I think from some angles it looks great and from some not good enough. I have seen it in flesh and can say that it looks amazing from side profile. Muscular like the 7 series. But somehow the front of the bangle'd version looked more better. It had a flamboyant character and that sex appeal which somehow F10 lacks. The front kidney grills somehow reminds me of hitler with his short moustache. Lol. I know its weird but it just looks a little like that. The legendary kidney grills which was always BMW's sex appeal has somehow worked against it this time. It just doesn't look sharp enough. Its missing the bangle'd 5 series sexy look as well as the superb sharp look which the model prior to that had (sorry don't know the code names) the bonnet looks good though. This is much like a grown up 5 series which wears business suits. That youthful look is somehow lost. If they wanted to go back being classy then they should have done something like the one before the bangle design. That model had classy and sharp style. I personally loved it maybe more so than the bangle'd version.

So now I just hope audi gets it right with the new A6. But for now my vote goes for the merc only because it is just more practical on indian roads. Dosent matter if its a second or so slower than beemer as the traffic will rarely allow its full potential. So when you are spending half a crore, you need to have a great ride quality. as you can't always be self driving such a big car. It should be great for being chauffeured around in also. If its always gonna be self driven than might as well get the 3 series. It should good for both.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 16:38   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I have to say that both of them have overworked on their design and messed up a little. To begin with, I like the merc's front but they have clearly messed up with the back. What could have been a clean and classy design is now a german-korean hybrid! Many potential customers must have been lost due to the flawed rear end. Maybe they can now hire chris bangle as bmw has gone back to basic so! That would make one interesting merc!

And coming to the Beemer, I think from some angles it looks great and from some not good enough. I have seen it in flesh and can say that it looks amazing from side profile. Muscular like the 7 series. But somehow the front of the bangle'd version looked more better. It had a flamboyant character and that sex appeal which somehow F10 lacks. The front kidney grills somehow reminds me of hitler with his short moustache. Lol. I know its weird but it just looks a little like that. The legendary kidney grills which was always BMW's sex appeal has somehow worked against it this time. It just doesn't look sharp enough. Its missing the bangle'd 5 series sexy look as well as the superb sharp look which the model prior to that had (sorry don't know the code names) the bonnet looks good though. This is much like a grown up 5 series which wears business suits. That youthful look is somehow lost. If they wanted to go back being classy then they should have done something like the one before the bangle design. That model had classy and sharp style. I personally loved it maybe more so than the bangle'd version.

So now I just hope audi gets it right with the new A6. But for now my vote goes for the merc only because it is just more practical on indian roads. Dosent matter if its a second or so slower than beemer as the traffic will rarely allow its full potential. So when you are spending half a crore, you need to have a great ride quality. as you can't always be self driving such a big car. It should be great for being chauffeured around in also. If its always gonna be self driven than might as well get the 3 series. It should good for both.
To begin with i must say, this post comes after Feb 2010 ! WOW ..that was fast ! lol.
Went through your post and agree with most of the things. Something that went over the top for me was - ' But for now my vote goes for the merc only because it is just more practical on indian roads.'
Are you only saying this because of ride quality and RFT issues or is there more to it ?
& yes i too sincerely hope Audi comes out with a stonker in the form of an A6 and not something that looks like a bigger A4. I hope it has its distinct identity.
& thanks for reviving this thread. Had completely forgotten about it !
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 01:33   #50
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
To begin with i must say, this post comes after Feb 2010 ! WOW ..that was fast ! lol.
Went through your post and agree with most of the things. Something that went over the top for me was - ' But for now my vote goes for the merc only because it is just more practical on indian roads.'
Are you only saying this because of ride quality and RFT issues or is there more to it ?
& yes i too sincerely hope Audi comes out with a stonker in the form of an A6 and not something that looks like a bigger A4. I hope it has its distinct identity.
& thanks for reviving this thread. Had completely forgotten about it !
Well I know it was a bit late to post on this thread but I found it interesting so couldn't help but share my views. And by merc being more practical on indian roads I meant because of the more comfortable ride quality it is so famous for it would suit more on our indian roads. Hope audi will not mess up a6 the way they have a little with the new a8 which looks a lot like the a4 with a lot of bling on the grill! The last gen a8 had a better front end. Clean and classy.

Last edited by magikrider : 10th October 2010 at 01:42.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 16:23   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Well I know it was a bit late to post on this thread but I found it interesting so couldn't help but share my views. And by merc being more practical on indian roads I meant because of the more comfortable ride quality it is so famous for it would suit more on our indian roads. Hope audi will not mess up a6 the way they have a little with the new a8 which looks a lot like the a4 with a lot of bling on the grill! The last gen a8 had a better front end. Clean and classy.

I am not completely with you on this one. Yes the last gen A8 did look good no doubt but the next gen A8 will surely have a HUGE presence and boy will people look when it approaches with those LEDs and the chrome grille lining, both at full glow !
No denying that they are unable to get out of the A4ish module. But who knows, perhaps they think it works for them. The A4's looks are loved by one & all, and it along with the Qs, is the best selling Audi in the country. So why not ? The previous generation A8 was more than a disaster (in India) and they might feel this A8 with these looks would change their fortune.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 10th October 2010 at 16:24.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 20:40   #52
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I am not completely with you on this one. Yes the last gen A8 did look good no doubt but the next gen A8 will surely have a HUGE presence and boy will people look when it approaches with those LEDs and the chrome grille lining, both at full glow !
No denying that they are unable to get out of the A4ish module. But who knows, perhaps they think it works for them. The A4's looks are loved by one & all, and it along with the Qs, is the best selling Audi in the country. So why not ? The previous generation A8 was more than a disaster (in India) and they might feel this A8 with these looks would change their fortune.
The previous gen A8 did not do well in india because buyers in that segment in india cannot look beyond the S class. Even the 7 series was not sold as much as the S-class (can see many more S class compared to much less 7 series so..). And the A8 did not have that wow factor and much less snob value but nevertheless a great car. It had understated looks which did not attract much attention like the S class or the 7 series. More corporate kinda look. I loved it. And maybe I am wrong with the new gen A8 looks. I am sure it will look killer in flesh. And I am happy they are trying something more flamboyant and being more creative. Because technologically wise it already has what it takes to make it to the top. somehow lately, after the new A4, audi has become more attractive compared to the Beemer and the Merc. Absolutely love the A4, which is one of the most good looking car along with the Jaguar XF and the BMW 7 series.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 01:18   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
The previous gen A8 did not do well in india because buyers in that segment in india cannot look beyond the S class. Even the 7 series was not sold as much as the S-class (can see many more S class compared to much less 7 series so..). And the A8 did not have that wow factor and much less snob value but nevertheless a great car. It had understated looks which did not attract much attention like the S class or the 7 series. More corporate kinda look. I loved it. And maybe I am wrong with the new gen A8 looks. I am sure it will look killer in flesh. And I am happy they are trying something more flamboyant and being more creative. Because technologically wise it already has what it takes to make it to the top. somehow lately, after the new A4, audi has become more attractive compared to the Beemer and the Merc. Absolutely love the A4, which is one of the most good looking car along with the Jaguar XF and the BMW 7 series.

My sentiments exact...which probably explains why i went ahead with it
Am in love with my car...EVERY SINGLE DAY
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 20:07   #54
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Well I am seeing many new 5'ers these days.. And they have kind of grown on me.. Now in comparison the merc looks.. How do I say it.. Boring and an old mans car! The beemer is more classy where as the merc trying to be flashy! So I would like to change my vote! Beemer all the way! (Ducking for cover..lol)
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 22:26   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 308
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Having driven the E60 530d extensively, owning a E90 325i, and having been driven in the W211 E240 my mind had two areas as simple as black and white.

Driven - Mercedes
Self Driven - BMW

Now with the F10 and the W212... both cars have tried to ape each other considerably, thereby losing their respective fortes.

The BMW now drives like a Mercedes, fast in a straight line, with the steering feel like a Honda Accord, but still has that distinct RWD feel to it albeit watered down. (Boo !!) However, while she is pretty, i miss the distinctive lines of the E60. Looks are highly subjective. Think Anne Hathaway (f10) vis a vis Megan Fox (e60). Both smashing in their own way. Ride though improved, its still no Merc. And handling though fun is still no E60. Classic dictionary definition of conundrum.

+ /// -
Gadgets /// No identity, be it looks or character
Torquey modern diesel engine/// Back seat for the price is an apology
Service backup/// RFT in this segment is a no no
Looks (subjective)/// If a 7 rear ended a 3, the mishmash is a 5
Cabin materials & design/// F10 not as solid feeling as E60. (build)
VFM/// Cabin not tomb silent a la merc

While the Merc, still feels like a Merc at the helm, loses the FLAWLESS backseat ride of its predecessor, mainly due to the backseat itself not being as ergonomically fault free as the W211. The under thigh support as well as the squab are not as good as the W211, and those upgrading will immediately feel so. Looks again are subjective, but in my opinion the W211 looked like a mercedes with a distinct "family" look, which was classy, organic and timeless. This looks like an upstart, and going with merc's new design philosophy, the CLS looks odd too. Enough has been said about the rear. The way she wafts is still uniquely Merc, and cabin noise suppression is still top notch. Build quality is leagues ahead of its predecessor. Better equipped too.

+ /// -
Build quality inside & out/// Looks, dated cabin design.
Refinement/// COMAND is a failure compare to iDrive
Ride quality/// Performance for the price below par
Cabin ambience (the hush ) ///

I have driven both the cars, and these are my opinions. I vote for none and go with the Jaaag. Grace, space and pace. I'll have mine in diesel thank you very much.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 26th October 2010 at 22:28.
Ash_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 22:59   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Having driven the E60 530d extensively, owning a E90 325i, and having been driven in the W211 E240 my mind had two areas as simple as black and white.

Driven - Mercedes
Self Driven - BMW

Now with the F10 and the W212... both cars have tried to ape each other considerably, thereby losing their respective fortes.

The BMW now drives like a Mercedes, fast in a straight line, with the steering feel like a Honda Accord, but still has that distinct RWD feel to it albeit watered down. (Boo !!) However, while she is pretty, i miss the distinctive lines of the E60. Looks are highly subjective. Think Anne Hathaway (f10) vis a vis Megan Fox (e60). Both smashing in their own way. Ride though improved, its still no Merc. And handling though fun is still no E60. Classic dictionary definition of conundrum.

+ /// -
Gadgets /// No identity, be it looks or character
Torquey modern diesel engine/// Back seat for the price is an apology
Service backup/// RFT in this segment is a no no
Looks (subjective)/// If a 7 rear ended a 3, the mishmash is a 5
Cabin materials & design/// F10 not as solid feeling as E60. (build)
VFM/// Cabin not tomb silent a la merc

While the Merc, still feels like a Merc at the helm, loses the FLAWLESS backseat ride of its predecessor, mainly due to the backseat itself not being as ergonomically fault free as the W211. The under thigh support as well as the squab are not as good as the W211, and those upgrading will immediately feel so. Looks again are subjective, but in my opinion the W211 looked like a mercedes with a distinct "family" look, which was classy, organic and timeless. This looks like an upstart, and going with merc's new design philosophy, the CLS looks odd too. Enough has been said about the rear. The way she wafts is still uniquely Merc, and cabin noise suppression is still top notch. Build quality is leagues ahead of its predecessor. Better equipped too.

+ /// -
Build quality inside & out/// Looks, dated cabin design.
Refinement/// COMAND is a failure compare to iDrive
Ride quality/// Performance for the price below par
Cabin ambience (the hush ) ///

I have driven both the cars, and these are my opinions. I vote for none and go with the Jaaag. Grace, space and pace. I'll have mine in diesel thank you very much.
+1 to the post !
Adding to your final line about the Jag.. i voted for the Beemer as soon as i set up the thread and though i like it, today even i wouldnt have voted for anyone as my faith and love lies with Audi today ! In whatever little time i have owned her now, performance, reliability , response timings and snob value too have been right there at the top ! Its like falling in love over and over again every day !!
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 23:14   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 308
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

I agree to a certain extent, but i answered keeping in view the segment at hand. I love the new A4 and the A8. But the A6 somehow doesn't cut it, thought dynamically it is brilliant. M sure its successor will be a game changer.

The only flaw in Audi is that, they take the family look too seriously. Anyone after a drink or two will have a hard time distinguishing the siblings parked next to each other, save for the R8 & TT.

PS - as you can guess by my avatar, i would do shameful things for an R8 just to look at it all day long.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 26th October 2010 at 23:15.
Ash_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 23:36   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

I voted for the MERCEDES

There was this journo commenting on an Auto Show

MERCEDES cars are becoming more fun to drive like the BMW and BMW are becoming more comfortable and solid to ride in like the MERCEDES
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 01:45   #59
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

The Jaguar is still new and very expensive compared to the germans so its not even considered usually.. But having faith in Tata.. They will one day start producing Jags in india.. And there by making it truly an indian brand! Then I am sure the real fight will start!

P.S. - I will revive this thread once again for the third time then! Lol
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 08:16   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
I agree to a certain extent, but i answered keeping in view the segment at hand. I love the new A4 and the A8. But the A6 somehow doesn't cut it, thought dynamically it is brilliant. M sure its successor will be a game changer.

The only flaw in Audi is that, they take the family look too seriously. Anyone after a drink or two will have a hard time distinguishing the siblings parked next to each other, save for the R8 & TT.

PS - as you can guess by my avatar, i would do shameful things for an R8 just to look at it all day long.
Yes i agree the A6 looks way too subtle and well.....uninspiring ! That will surely change with the upcoming A6. The LED DRLs pioneered by Audi ,the trademark that they already are for the company, would be shining in full glow even on the new A6 but this time around they would actually look good on it,unlike the present version. Also i agree with what you said about the models looking similar but i figure Audi wouldnt panic too much about it as long as they continue to sell
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes Benz C200 Avantgarde: 2 year ownership review Khushrav Long-Term Ownership Reviews 27 21st December 2015 15:11
Water leakage in Mercedes E350 (W212) sidharthg Technical Stuff 4 8th March 2015 10:56
Mercedes-Benz to launch C 230 avantgarde tomorrow. sidindica The Indian Car Scene 17 11th January 2012 12:09
W212 Mercedes E350 CGI in Pune EDIT : Launch on 5th October sidindica The Indian Car Scene 106 25th September 2009 09:45
Secondhand Prices Mercedes Benz E270 CDI & E220 CDi 03 to 05 canonball The Indian Car Scene 0 12th October 2007 17:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks