Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th February 2010, 23:53   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think the discussion is veering towards 10L + wish list for a Hatch instead of discussion on buying a hatch for 10L

To be frank its not a straight forward answer, in a place like Mumbai it may make lot of sense because space is at premium but not if you are in a not so crowded city(which is most of India).

Then again some would buy it purely because either they want to flaunt it or they need a hatch with all the bells & whistles & budget is not a constraint.
Absolutely agree with you here!

moreover, I might have voted in favor 4-5 months back but now when I bought my first sedan, I am able to realize the worth of space and luxury/features. I voted No!
kanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 00:06   #47
BHPian

yes ! i would buy if someone offers a no-compromise performance hatch for the price (think subaru impreza wrx )
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 00:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
  • World class features(available only on high end sedans etc.)
  • Attractive body design(like the Hyundai i20) or Chevy Aveo RS concept
  • Nice big rims(16-17") with fatter tyres
  • LED lighting
  • A nice 7" touchscreen HU with integrated vehicle management system, GPS + full vehicle adjust-ability(Chassis, car height etc)
  • Integrated smart passenger management(sensing and seatbelt warnings etc.)
  • Smart anti theft alarm and locking/unlocking system
+a 200 bhp engine
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 00:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

would prefer to buy a 3 box for that price
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 01:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

i voted for 'yes'.

the reason being, the Fiat 500. it costs around 13 lakhs & it's a great hatch, i love it. i would stretch my budget the bit and go for it.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 01:28   #51
BHPian

Asking this question itself indicates dangerous trends in Indian automobile industry.

Today if we have Rs.10L, lets evaluate two possibilities of utilizing the money.

Option 1 - Buy a hatchback for 10L

On road price of the new car - 10L

Value of the car after 5 years (after depreciation) - Rs.4.25L

Total Asset Value after 5 years - Rs.4.25L

Option 2 - Buy a hatchback @ 4L and rest invested in bank

On road price of the new car - 4L

Value of the car after 5 years (after depreciation) - Rs.1.70L

Amount invested in Bank - 6L (interest @ 8%)

Amount in Bank after 5 years - Rs.8.82L

Total asset value after 5 years = 1.7 + 8.82 = Rs.10.5L

You all are intelligent people.....You decide, whether to buy a hatchback @ 10L or buy a 4L car, having most of the features of a 10L car and invest the rest of the money wisely (bank, shares, property) . Interestingly, by the end of 5th year,your investments may have grown up automatically to buy your next hatchback!

Source : Depreciation Calculator

Last edited by sunil8089 : 10th February 2010 at 01:38.
sunil8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 01:37   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sadly, enthusiasts would account for a mere 50 - 100 monthly sales at a national level. Such a car would fail miserably in our VFM & FE obsessed market.
My response is a No bacause of the fact rightly pointed out by GTO and also in my opinion, more often then not, a Sedan offers better safety, space, comfort and versatlity as compared to a hatch. They are engineered to deliver more as compared to a hatch since by virtue of its design
The J! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 02:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Completely fully loaded, powerful hot hatch instead of a bare bones/dull sedan? Hell yea
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 03:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

YES, provided it the fully loaded Bravo with the 150 Hp, 206Nm torque @2000rpm T jet or the New Lancer in its 5 door avatar with at least the 2.0 L MIVEC if not the 2.4 L.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 03:26   #55
BHPian

I wouldn't mind an Indian made hatch with great drool factor, by which i mean
crazy engine, loads of equipment, comfortable space, front and back, to die for looks and an interior that makes you feel like a million bucks, loaded to the brim. I mean i too really like hatches in city driving conditions, it feels so much more convenient.
Hyundai i20 success is a clear indication of the changing mindset on Indians, hopefully we'll see a great 10l hatch in the near future
ishaanranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 04:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post

You all are intelligent people.....You decide, whether to buy a hatchback @ 10L or buy a 4L car, having most of the features of a 10L car and invest the rest of the money wisely (bank, shares, property) . Interestingly, by the end of 5th year,your investments may have grown up automatically to buy your next hatchback!

Source : Depreciation Calculator
So, no intelligent person should buy a hatchback at more than 4L and no one should buy a sedan at more than, say, 5L (I will make the same assumption as you. A 5 Lakh sedan has most of the features of a 11 lakh sedan)?
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 04:11   #57
BHPian

No. Sedans and coupes are just cool. I'd love to lay my hands on Chevy Cruze or Nissan's 11L sedan, can't recall it's name, but they offer loads of features for the price. Somehow, I can't just justify spending 10L for a something that isn't long, svelte and swanky.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 06:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default why not?

i would certainly consider a premium hatchback if it has the following and is priced at around 10 lacs.

station wagon type hatch back with a high ground clearance, alloy wheels, fat tyres, full size spare etc.
lots of luggage space at the rear - luggage restraining nets, split 60:40 foliding seats to increase load bay.
diesel driven with a top class common rail engine and makes about 150 -170 bhp.
4 wheel drive, 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, hill descent control and all the other functional bells and whistles.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

I think what we need to ask ourselves is this. Given a hatch and a sedan with the same engine, ride and handling, features, space (except maybe boot space), would you pay approximately the same amount for both, if that amount was near 10L? From what I see, some of the expectations of a 10L hatch are quite optimistic
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post

You all are intelligent people.....You decide, whether to buy a hatchback @ 10L or buy a 4L car, having most of the features of a 10L car and invest the rest of the money wisely (bank, shares, property) . Interestingly, by the end of 5th year,your investments may have grown up automatically to buy your next hatchback!..
Hmm, you can also buy a Nano and save even more money putting the rest in the bank. Even better, you can go by public transport and invest all 10 lacs in shares/property etc and make huge profits.

Nobody buys cars as investment. It is for a purpose, like any white goods. If I have a big family and has needs to carry more stuff and requires some good features inside to keep them comfortable, then I would spend more money.

Coming back to the topic, I would certainly buy a hatch at 10 lac or above if I have a need for the same. Of course I expect a 10 lac hatch to be more equipped than a 4 lac one.

Last edited by vasoo : 10th February 2010 at 10:20.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote