Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 12:52   #16
BHPian
 
rg_chn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: K.S.A
Posts: 343
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
The TSI is a new petrol engine only. The TDI is a turbo engine only (diesel)
See below
Volkswagen Launches Petrol Revolution With TSI Technology
The TSI is a turbocharged engine my friend. More details here

Skoda Laura :: Technical Specifications ::

Read and you'll know.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 12:52   #17
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
TSI is indeed a turbo charged engine and TSI stands for "Turbo Stratified Injection".

The information regarding VW TSI engine can found at Volkswagen | TSI Petrol Engines

Cheers,
Please read the link you yourself have posted. Why jump the gun. The TSI engine uses a supercharger on top of a turbo charger. The combination is called TSI and is newer than the FSI. I humbly suggest some serious reading instead of trying to correct a fellow bhpian who you presume is ignorant.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

My late (cousin) brother's son has recently bought a Laura. He has great contacts with Giriraj in Gurgaon and so is perhaps assured of some service and perhaps genuine spare parts.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th February 2010 at 13:13.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:11   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Please read the link you yourself have posted. Why jump the gun. The TSI engine uses a supercharger on top of a turbo charger. The combination is called TSI and is newer than the FSI. I humbly suggest some serious reading instead of trying to correct a fellow bhpian who you presume is ignorant.
The link seems to indicate that some, not all TSi engines are twinchargers (ie with a supercharger). Is the 1.8 mill in the Laura a twincharger TSi or a 'standard' TSi?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:19   #20
BHPian
 
rg_chn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: K.S.A
Posts: 343
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

^ I am guessing it's a standard TSi, as the link i posted mentions only turbocharged. If it was the twincharger, they would've definitely mentioned it on their site.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:21   #21
BHPian
 
Ardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 613
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

An excerpt from VW website on TSI:

"Petrol direct injection plus charging
Pioneering technology is used in the TSI engines, combining direct petrol injection with a turbocharger or charge compression with a turbo and a supercharger, enabling them to deliver impressive performance figures and torque and to provide the driver with the full spectrum of driving pleasure despite the smaller engine. The combustion of the petrol is particularly efficient, with the result that the power output of the TSI engines is considerably higher than is the case with conventional, naturally aspirated engines."

AFAIK, the 1.8 TSI in Laura is only turbocharged. IIRC, at one point of time, Skoda was contemplating 1.4 twincharged for Laura.

Hope it clears the air.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:23   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
The TSI is a new petrol engine only. The TDI is a turbo engine only (diesel)
See below
Volkswagen Launches Petrol Revolution With TSI Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
What do you mean by "not available in any color" ? Are they not delivering anything then ? Just booking ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Correction, the Laura is turbocharged, not supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
TSI is indeed a turbo charged engine and TSI stands for "Turbo Stratified Injection".

The information regarding VW TSI engine can found at Volkswagen | TSI Petrol Engines

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
The TSI is a turbocharged engine my friend. More details here

Skoda Laura :: Technical Specifications ::

Read and you'll know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Please read the link you yourself have posted. Why jump the gun. The TSI engine uses a supercharger on top of a turbo charger. The combination is called TSI and is newer than the FSI. I humbly suggest some serious reading instead of trying to correct a fellow bhpian who you presume is ignorant.
@rpmx100: I think it you who is jumping the gun here. Also the link that you have posted is nothing but a total copy of the VW site or their press release.

Anyways coming to the question on hand, the TSI comes in two formats - Normal TSI and TSI Twincharger (Volkswagen South Africa – TSI (Turbo Stratified Injection)) depending upon the size of the engine. 1.0-1.4 L TSI engines till now are twincharged. 1.8 engine available in the Laura is only Turbo charged.

Also supercharger is not on top of turbocharger but they are arranged in series, with the supercharger being first and then the turbocharger. The reason for the supercharger is to eliminate the turbo lag that is characteristic of a turbo charger as it is exhaust gas driven and need a minimum impeller RPM to produce the required boost.

I hope this clarifies all the queries here.

Another extract from the VW Site
Quote:
What is Turbo Stratified Injection?

Turbo Stratified Injection (TSI) marries direct injection with both a supercharger and a turbocharger (in the case of the smaller engines) or just a turbocharger (in the case of the larger engines) to further increase the performance of these engines. This means that you enjoy economical fuel consumption without compromising on engine performance. Volkswagen has a range of 1.4 TSI engines (which use one or both types of charging) and a range of 2.0 TSI engines that are turbocharged.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th February 2010 at 13:26.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:26   #23
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
^ I am guessing it's a standard TSi, as the link i posted mentions only turbocharged. If it was the twincharger, they would've definitely mentioned it on their site.
Fine. Its an obvious reason as the twin-charger technology is probably too costly to sell at an Indian price. Then you have yet another an obvious reason for lack of low-end grunt (the point I originally intended to convey).Now I don't want to get into the FGT-VGT stuff. There are some VGTs that also suffer from low-end turbo lag. Example i20 diesel.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:39   #24
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@rpmx100: I think it you who is jumping the gun here. Also the link that you have posted is nothing but a total copy of the VW site or their press release.

Anyways coming to the question on hand, the TSI comes in two formats - Normal TSI and TSI Twincharger (Volkswagen South Africa – TSI (Turbo Stratified Injection)) depending upon the size of the engine. 1.0-1.4 L TSI engines till now are twincharged. 1.8 engine available in the Laura is only Turbo charged.

Also supercharger is not on top of turbocharger but they are arranged in series, with the supercharger being first and then the turbocharger. The reason for the supercharger is to eliminate the turbo lag that is characteristic of a turbo charger as it is exhaust gas driven and need a minimum impeller RPM to produce the required boost.

I hope this clarifies all the queries here.

Another extract from the VW Site
Dear MileCruncher , I was only trying to attribute a reason for the engine stalling/lack of low end grunt in the TSI. When I say "supercharger on top of a turbocharger" it means a combination of the two and not one sitting on top of the other.What the TSI is ,is secondary to the post. Somehow I had the impression that the TSI had a supercharger too. So it turns out it is only the turbocharger. I stand corrected.But that is not what I read from the way the replies come out.
So I try to find out for myself and this is what I get.
Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance Review | Auto Express
Before somebody pounces, I don't want to get drawn into another debate about the Octavia. Indian's Laura is a later version Octavia in the UK and elswhere in Europe.
And in general, If (generic)you don't agree with a post, please PM rather than subvert the topic. It will remain in everyone's interest to maintain the topic relevant in the thread.
Thanks.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 10th February 2010 at 13:41. Reason: Readability
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:41   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,964 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Fine. Its an obvious reason as the twin-charger technology is probably too costly to sell at an Indian price. Then you have yet another an obvious reason for lack of low-end grunt (the point I originally intended to convey).Now I don't want to get into the FGT-VGT stuff. There are some VGTs that also suffer from low-end turbo lag. Example i20 diesel.
Why only i20, i think even Verna suffers with a turbo lag to some extent. Come to think of it, any diesel car south of 15L will certain carry this " feature"

Well, 160bhp with a minor turbo lag for Laura TSI still does not seem like bad value for money compared to Civic being priced at same level.

Laura Diesels have been a hit right from the begining and i reckon Skoda is going out of this way with this offer by trying to push their petrol engines as well. I am not going by the numbers but its definetly a fact just going by the sheer number of new Lauras that get rolled out in Hyderabad is phenomenal. I can go a step forward and say Hyderabad is a Laura crazy city.

At that price, for a Altis/Civic buyer, this car is a terrific and better alternative. But, i am more of a diesel head so probably wait for PD Laura to come for this price ( I may have to wait for an eternity)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:49   #26
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
At that price, for a Altis/Civic buyer, this car is a terrific and better alternative. But, i am more of a diesel head so probably wait for PD Laura to come for this price ( I may have to wait for an eternity)
Totally agree.To add to your point, that's the reason why the vRS was so popular among people who knew how to appreciate it. I remember reading something in BSM where there was a comparison between the vRS and the Laura 1.8 TSI.The reviewer felt the vRS was the winner of the comparison.
The PD though competent, is probably a lame performer when you compare the Cruze at the same price point.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:09   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
And in general, If (generic)you don't agree with a post, please PM rather than subvert the topic. It will remain in everyone's interest to maintain the topic relevant in the thread.
Thanks.
Dear RPMX1000, I'm not subverting the topic neither do I intend to PM you. My post was a general post about TSI and trying to clear the confusion about Supercharged, Turbocharged and Twincharged.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
When I say "supercharger on top of a turbocharger" it means a combination of the two and not one sitting on top of the other.What the TSI is ,is secondary to the post.
I'm also aware that one cannot literally have "Supercharger on top of turbocharger" . What that means technologically is a parallel circuit to which I have already written that it is a sequential or in series circuit.

And what TSI is absolutely integral to this thread as the OP wants to know which version is it thats priced at 11.99L

E & OE

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:15   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,964 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Totally agree.To add to your point, that's the reason why the vRS was so popular among people who knew how to appreciate it. I remember reading something in BSM where there was a comparison between the vRS and the Laura 1.8 TSI.The reviewer felt the vRS was the winner of the comparison.
The PD though competent, is probably a lame performer when you compare the Cruze at the same price point.
If you bring Cruze into this equation, then it looks cheap in comparison considering the amount of gadgets it sports. But, however someone quoted a price of 10.99 for base model LT that could be probably in Delhi where you get cars the cheapest but we in Hyderabad and Bangalore have to pay through our nose for the same, the same model will be easily 60K +.

Anyways, there are too many features missing in LT so noone in their right mind would buy that over an LTZ unless they are on a money saving trip.

I just wish they spruce up the interiors of Cruze a bit and offer their 3 years fixed amount service and i could just be there customer within 12 months.

Till then i will continue to dream for PD Laura to drop this price point.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:25   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,599 Times
Default

So what is the answer finally?
Is it worth buying the TSI at this price or go for an equivalent Honda/Toyota?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:27   #30
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Dear RPMX1000, I'm not subverting the topic neither do I intend to PM you.
E & OE

Cheers
That reply was not intended for you. I never said _you_ were subverting the topic. To clear myself, (generic) you means 'one'. Replace word for word to understand.Maybe it would be good to have a separate thread for TSI. Too short for time.Can we please bury this here.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda ordered to pay 7.9 lakhs to Laura owner Agarwaka The Indian Car Scene 24 20th March 2014 20:13
My "pre-worshipped" Skoda Laura 1.9 PD Ambiente for 7.6 lakhs raichoudhury Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 11th January 2014 17:47
New Skoda Rapid or Used Skoda Laura coolboy007 Sedans 19 15th July 2012 11:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Skoda Laura Ambiente-cheaper Laura deuce-deuce The Indian Car Scene 94 11th July 2008 06:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks