Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2005, 20:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 'great' Japanese company Honda-when it had the opportunity to win over zillion customers for life-decided to rip them off!
BRAVO!! Finally someone has had the guts to call a spade a spade.

Quote:
For this one thing and for nothing else-I will never buy a Honda car. The overall attitude is one of callousness.
This is what I wanted to hear on this thread for a long time. Unfortunately, if it was a Ford, GM, Fiat , HM,TATA etc. we would have had many more posts saying that.

Quote:
Legal niceties aside-as end consumers we deserve to get the best treatment and service a company can give.

Lets also not forget the air of superiority that Honda dealers and salespeople have when you go to look at Honda cars. Their attitude is on the lines of "we are giving you a oppurtunity to own a Honda. How lucky you are"
Old 23rd November 2005, 15:52   #32
BHPian

This is what I wanted to hear on this thread for a long time. Unfortunately, if it was a Ford, GM, Fiat , HM,TATA etc. we would have had many more posts saying that.

I agree with you. We would have had a looooong thread.

I can't understand why nobody thinks of taking the Insurance Companies to the court. Afterall ,when one has paid a premium for risk covered under Flood & Earth Quake, why don't they just pay for the car.

If the Engine of the vehicle has stalled due to water logging, that means the level of water is quite high to damage other parts of the car too, but maybe not immediately.

Apart from the depreciation, the insured should be paid the full insured value or the Market value, whichever is less, provided the Insured does not want to have his car repaired and is willing to pay difference of amount. Else the Insurers should declare it as TOTAL LOSS and just pay back the value of the car.

The choice of repairing should rest with the Insured. I would most definitely ask for a Total Loss , if the vehicle was about a year old.
The damaged that could be caused due to flood will only show over a long duration of time. Even the corrosion in the engine block could wear away vital microns of metal, which could affect the performance of the car as the time passes.
Old 23rd November 2005, 16:04   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can't understand why nobody thinks of taking the Insurance Companies to the court.
I am seriously considering this and have already spoken to some people whose views I am still waiting for.
Old 23rd November 2005, 22:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy

Apart from the depreciation, the insured should be paid the full insured value or the Market value, whichever is less, provided the Insured does not want to have his car repaired and is willing to pay difference of amount. Else the Insurers should declare it as TOTAL LOSS and just pay back the value of the car.

The choice of repairing should rest with the Insured. I would most definitely ask for a Total Loss
I TOTALLY AGREE !! Even I wanted a TOTAL LOSS,specially since the car was only a month old when it got water logged,and have in writing from Ichibaan Honda that "They can't restore any water-logged car back to it's original pristine condition"..I have posted their email stating that in this thread..
Even though I got back my warranty after 3 months of harassment/emails/telephone calls/faxes,I would never buy a new Honda vehicle EVER in my life.
Infact,even when we bought this vehicle,my dad who has ALWAYS only owned Toyota vehicles in States,told me to buy Toyota Corolla,but I told him I would prefer Honda City for India..then I regretted it once all this happened..
No doubt,Honda makes good quality vehicles,but all this happening during after sales service has affected thousands of customers trust in their brand.
Atleast others like Toyota/Maruti/Opel/Chevrolet/Hyundai didn't EVER mention to their customers about warranty cancellation for flooded vehicles.
In States,All flooded vehicles are declared as TOTAL LOSS by insurance providers,since they have this "Lemon Law" or something in effect there.
www.lemonlawamerica.com
I even told my Insurance provider - Tata AIG that they should give a total loss,but they said their policy provides total loss ONLY if car repair estimate is above 75% of Insured Declared Value(IDV) of the vehicle.I even mentioned to my insurance provider - "I have in written proof that Honda cannot restore my car to it's original pristine condition,so,the car should be a total loss"..but still,they stuck to their "more than 75% estimate - total loss"..
Apart from Warranty Issues,Honda haven't even given a single rupee off on their spare parts..many other providers immediately declared certain percentage off on spare parts for all flooded vehicle repairs,along with labour discounts..but nothing from Honda..TOTALLY SUCKS.
As someone rightly said on this thread - they had a chance to impress people,but decided to rip off people..
Just for everyones information - there are 230+ flooded vehicles lying "UNTOUCHED" at Ichibaan Honda,Kalina service center itself..so,naturally,everyday atleast 5-10 customers go there and give the staff a piece of their mind..and the staff only have their ridiculous excuses each and everytime the customers shout..
These 230+ vehicles will be done only by Feb end/March 2006 according to a few people at the service facility..which totally totally sucks.
I would also like to share something about Ichibaan Honda -
A customer relations executive mentioned to me 2 months back that they are running into losses because of flooded vehicles,and the space which they have to rent to keep the flooded cars..!!..and other issues because of flooded vehicles - like paying extra for overtime by technicians/staff,larger electricity bills,telephone bills,
And after the floods -
1. Ichibaan Honda have opened a NEW showroom/Service Facility at Worli,which is atleast 5X larger than the old Worli showroom...where did the crores come from if they are running into losses??
2. They have renovated their showroom/service facility/customer lounges at Worli as well as Kalina..don't know about Chembur,since haven't been there..they've fitted in plasma screens at their showrooms replacing the old conventional 21 inch TVs.
Sorry for being off topic mods for a few points which I've mentioned above,but I just thought that it'll be nice if Team BHPians know what is going on..

As for the warranty issues,and Insurance issues,would have loved to go to court,but the thing is - a final year medical student,who lives and manages everything at home,along with putting in time for studies,and parents living abroad,can't get the time to go for the court hassles/lawyer payments and other issues pertaining to taking on people legally..but I'm sure if my dad would have been living in Mumbai - he would certainly have taken Honda/AIG to court.

sr

Last edited by srasania : 23rd November 2005 at 22:42.
Old 24th November 2005, 01:43   #35
Max
BHPian

hi, i own new honda city but it was not at all effected in floods because it was standing in my building which is way above water levels. Has my warranty cancelled on my new car (16 month old)?
Old 24th November 2005, 20:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Even I wanted a TOTAL LOSS,specially since the car was only a month old when it got water logged,and have in writing from Ichibaan Honda that "They can't restore any water-logged car back to it's original pristine condition"..
Insurance Companies don't have the brains to understand the contents of this letter. You should have insisted that they put the entire contents of the vehicle like , Chasis, Body Shell, Engine, Transmission assy., Gear Box, Seats, carpets etc., etc......... . The estimate should have read something like the cost of the car. Only then can you substantiate your claim, that unless these are replaced the car will not perform as good as the new car. The letter would have helped you here.

If you are willing to pay the depreciation, in your case 5%, since the car is less than 6 months old & 50% on all battery, tyres, rubber, fabric parts. then the insurers cannot force you to repair these parts.

Quote:
Apart from Warranty Issues,Honda haven't even given a single rupee off on their spare parts..many other providers immediately declared certain percentage off on spare parts for all flooded vehicle repairs,along with labour discounts..but nothing from Honda..TOTALLY SUCK

All spare parts replaced under flood damage should have been borne by the Insurers. What other parts did you have to change?

Quote:
As for the warranty issues,and Insurance issues,would have loved to go to court,but the thing is - a final year medical student,who lives and manages everything at home, along with putting in time for studies
I totally agree with you. Let this incident not distract you from your actual GOAL. You will have many many more wonderful cars once you have reached there. Our good wishes are with you.

Each one of us is so preoccupied with some problem or the other that the Manufacturers & Insurers take advantage of our helplessness, knowing fully well that one would rarely choose such an option.

Last edited by varunroy : 24th November 2005 at 20:38. Reason: To highlight quote
Old 24th November 2005, 20:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Then Varun, take 'em to court, having exhausted all other options,instead of venting frustration elsewhere,
Old 24th November 2005, 21:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Then Varun, take 'em to court, having exhausted all other options,instead of venting frustration elsewhere,

Take whom to court ? The relevant thread is closed and I do not wish to discuss that problem here. Beside, I am taking your advice.

so long,

Last edited by varunroy : 24th November 2005 at 21:31. Reason: spellings
Old 28th December 2005, 21:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
As per the information that I know,HSCI have validated all Flooded Vehicle warranties...not only to ones who threaten them.

sr
Ok guys,I spoke too soon,as per current status,HSCI are validating warranties only "SELECTIVELY" on case to case basis !!!..and not for all flooded vehicles..
really really pathetic..it's sad to see such a huge company stoop to such low levels.
You can checkout these sites -

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/floodedcarsmumbai/

mumbaifloodedcars.blogspot.com

So,plain and simple - Honda SUCKS..atleast HSCI.
They had a chance to win millions of hearts,but decided to go the other way round.

As per my current warranty status,it's hopefully been validated..but I still don't have anything in writing right now,just verbal from HSCI customer relations dept.
I will have to give them a call tomorrow !

-sr

Last edited by srasania : 28th December 2005 at 21:24.
Old 28th December 2005, 23:00   #40
Team-BHP Support

Please understand flood damaged cars are truly rogered so why should a manufacturer compensate for an act of god!!!
Two ways of approaching flood damaged cars

1: Keep quiet and suddenly reject a claim due to the flood damage
2: Be upfront and state that warranty claims will not or partially be honoured
Old 29th December 2005, 19:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Please understand flood damaged cars are truly rogered so why should a manufacturer compensate for an act of god!!!
Two ways of approaching flood damaged cars

1: Keep quiet and suddenly reject a claim due to the flood damage
2: Be upfront and state that warranty claims will not or partially be honoured
Sir,
1.if other companies still keep their warranties valid,because of Act of God,why only Honda is harassing their customers?

2.This means that Honda Siel Cars India don't trust their dealers for repair jobs,and so,cancel warranties.Also,there is no information in the Warranty Booklet/Extended Warranty booklets that future warranty stands void once the car is in floods..

3.NO discounts/offers on flooded vehicle repair work..we've paid a huge premium for the repair,which only we know..

4.Cars are delivered back with new scratches,because they can't take care of the vehicle for months at their rented spaces to keep flooded cars.You can check the yahoo group and the blog sites I've posted in my earlier post as proof..

5. My drivers side door mirror was stolen while the car was kept at their rented premises for flooded vehicles,and they charged me for a new replacement..totally pathetic.

6.Even on the day of delivery,8 problems were found out by me on my way from the service facility to my home,and had to take the car back to their service facility very next day..

7. ajmat sir,what if you had a similar experience with Honda,I'm sure you'd post something different..I know what I've gone through,and know I'm right in posting my issues on this site for the information of team bhpians,and hope all this is also read by Honda people.

8.One thing for sure now,this was my first and last Honda in life,and even for many other Honda owners who've had similar experience..

9. For everyones information,the car is currently at Arya Honda Service Facility for gear box water problems,and just imagine guys - I've paid more than Rs32,000 for a new CVT gear box to Ichibaan Honda.(The car is running fine,the gear box water problem was diagnosed by Arya Honda facility on routine general check up of the vehicle..)

10.I know the car can't get back to it's original pristine condition even after repairs,but atleast the car warranty shouldn't stand void,which is the main concern of this thread.

11.Customer is GOD,as we earn from them-M.Gandhi - Hope HSCI realize this..I would love to file a legal case against them in consumer court,but my actual goal in life - working hard and studying to be a good dr. shouldn't be hampered by such stupid companies eating up my time now and them.

12.One last point - out of my 5 months of ownership of the vehicle till date,the car has been at the service facility for almost 3 1/2 months,and 1 1/2 months I've got to drive it.

13.I'm gonna get rid of it by Jan 2007,since I'll be completing my medical graduation here..

I'm so sorry mods for posting a few things OT,but I'm sure team bhpians would love to read Honda treatment to customers after they sell vehicles.. I know protests from few hundreds/thousands flooded vehicle owners in Maharashtra won't dampen the overall Honda image worldwide,but just trying my best to show/tell how many ever I can upto my individual ability,thus educating fellow members/Indians about Honda India Customer Care.
Honda Japan is truly a good car manufacturer,and wish them all the best in their business.

Best,
-sr

Last edited by srasania : 29th December 2005 at 19:39.
Old 29th December 2005, 22:27   #42

Thumbs down Not fair at all ..

Hi folks -

The response from Honda and its dealers have been absolutely disgusting to say the least. I am sure Honda customers in Mumbai will empathise with the following -

1. In fact, if anything they are responsible for the state of the cars. For more than two months the cars were just left to rust - even after repeatedly requesting them to have the carpets removed, they did not respond.

2. The insurance companies and the customers have borne the brunt of the calamity. Honda has gone ahead and replaced all parts depending on the level of water, without even ascertaining whether the replacement was really required. Having done this, atleast they should be confident that they have given the customers a trouble-free car.

3. Honda One2One and even their own executives did complete flip-flops on the warranty issues. Finally, they have conceded that warranties for some customers have been restored as 'special goodwill gestures'. If that is not discriminatory, what is? Does that mean that the cancellation of warranty is an 'ill-will' gesture

4. Stop for a moment and think - if you have to drive through 2-3 feet of water, would you accept the withdrawal of warranty? My car was in running condition even after the calamity but I was advised to wait for the car to be 'restored'.

5. Correct me if I am wrong, but no other automobile company has withdrawn its warranty. In fact, most other companies have gone out of the way to help their customers. We have compiled a list of all the effort put in by the other automobile companies at http://mumbaifloodedcars.blogspot.com/

6. If we take their premise that the car cannot be restored - the car has to be simply written-off. That is the international policy on flooded cars. Honda should NOT have repaired the cars. It is the responsibility of the insurance company to ensure that the car is fully restored or replace it with an equivalent car. They cannot cancel the warranty in hind-sight, because it cannot be restored to its 'pristine' condition.

7. The clause they are referring to says that damage due to natural calamities, accidents, etc. is not covered under warranty. Which is fair, thats what insurance is for. That does not mean that all future problems with the car can be attributed to this one calamity. Buyers' beware - what that means is that even after an accident the warranty can be withdrawn, since the car cannot be restored to its 'pristine' condition.

8. They have not communicated to their customers that the warranty is withdrawn. In fact, the dealerships say they have 'no information' on warranty and that the question be directed to Honda Siel. Its only when you prod and push do they confirm that the warranty is withdrawn. The whole issue has been dealt with absolutely clandestinely and only now after four months, have they come out with the clarifications.

The whole issue reeks of absolute high-handedness and scarce respect for customer relations. It is for us customers to ensure that we are not taken for granted and that they cannot silence the customer by selective 'goodwill' gestures.

Ciao,
Sunil
Old 29th December 2005, 23:26   #43
Team-BHP Support

Consumer court!

am not a guru, but sounds very unfair !

I have an insurance cover with flood included, and if my manufacturer comes back and say my warranty is withdrawn, i sure will object...

ok i dont have an extended warranty on my car for that matter its 5 year ol, but people who shelve out those extra thousands dont think should take it lying down..

consumer court, sue them!

OT: on a lighter note, after the OHC and Vtecness.. Tbhp is also mean on HONDA > he he he he..
Old 30th December 2005, 12:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Selective warrantee, that too not on condition of car but as "good-will" gesture? If true, that sucks big time. Many people shell out few extra lacs for Honda tag to ensure piece of mind and they surely don't deserve this service.
Old 31st December 2005, 15:51   #45

Hi -

There were recent floods in Gujarat (before 26th July) and also in other cities down South, post 26th July.

Can we confirm from our Members in these places too if their Warranties have been similarly declared void.

Regards,
Sunil
Closed Thread