Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th February 2010, 14:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Would you still say no to the Genesis if it came with a 375HP V8, took you from 0-60 in 5.7 seconds & looked like this (see attachment).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GENESIS 5.pdf (781.5 KB, 327 views)
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 15:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Would you still say no to the Genesis if it came with a 375HP V8, took you from 0-60 in 5.7 seconds & looked like this (see attachment).
Dude,that's the Genesis sedan which competes with,or rather tries to compete with the German/American luxo-barges,and this thread is about the Genesis coupe!
The sedan,if bought here,is sure to bomb in the Indian market for obvious reasons!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 15:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

That is the idea, to expand the field of discussion to include the complete Genesis range.
Old 14th February 2010, 16:01   #34
BANNED

Hyundai in its genesis sedan blatantly / cunningly copies Merc grille and styling. Most importantly No slanted "H" badge too on the grille.

Hyundai's Luxury segment car styling = Perceived Corporate deception by Hyundai

Look how Hyundai deceptively compares its genesis Sedan with BMW 750, Audi A8, Lexus etc but cunningly keeps mum on comparing with a Merc. Hyundai does All ONLY Just for its Genesis sedan to be presumed as a Merc sedan. Hyundai lose respect No matter how smartly powerful its V8 all aluminum engine can be.

Hyundai gave yet another valid reason to HATE them . In India The V8 sedan segment Hyundai can target is mainly comprised of influencial, successful big wigs.

Hyundai's Copy cat styling and cunning PR, ads cannot convince this target in India.

Hyundai has disgraced itself by making Sangyang sound better

The Sangyang's Limo Chairman comes with near identical Merc's grille as they use Merc Engine to power it up.

Last edited by harimakesh : 14th February 2010 at 16:17.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 17:49   #35
BHPian

I cannot understand why some people cannot just accept the fact that a good car can come from the Hyundai stable. Remember, the Genesis won the North American Car of the Year award. And I don't think they can do it just by copying a design from X, Y or Z manufacturer.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 18:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well said A350XWB.

After all it was our ancestors who coined the following
" Nakkal key liye bhi Akkal Chahiye" = "One needs brains even to copy properly" and not without meaning.

With those words I attach a view of the rear and you guys can guess where that gets its inspiration from.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GENESIS rear.pdf (970.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 14th February 2010, 18:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I love it, but Hyundai can't sell a Sonata here. No point looking further.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 18:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

It is only in India, where due to lack of information regarding good cars like the SX4 (including 2l & 4X4 version) & Kizashi, Genesis (sportster & luxury sedan), etc, the market for the above mentioned cars from Suzuki & Hyundai, respectively, does not exist. Though in US these are rated better over Accords, Camrys & Altimas, & at par with BMW, Audi, etc.
Are you serious SX4, Kizashi are rated over Accord, Camry. I would have to completely disagree with you. In my 2+ years of stay here, i have not seen one sx4 on road here. And monthly sales say the same thing. Won't comment about kizashi as its not on roads yet, but even the car magazines are quite ok with it compared to other cars in its segment. I expect it to be just an ordinary car too (in US).

Accords and camrys are the best buy here for family movers. Only genesis have been able to compete with other luxo brands and have tried to challenge them. I really appreciate their effort - both the coupe and sedan.

I drove genesis coupe and trust me, its one hell of a car. For $25k its sweet deal. Its another thing that i prefer a camaro for that much amount. but that's me.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 00:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I love it, but Hyundai can't sell a Sonata here. No point looking further.
Yea exactly, as its been discussed plenty of times before, the small car image just wont go away. This is the reason why Honda continues to sell thousands of ANHC's where the SX4/Verna dont even sell half as much even though they undercut the ANHC's price by a lakh and a half. IMHO the only way Maruti and Hyundai can hope to sell big cars in higher numbers is to introduce a luxury/premium brand in india, like Toyota,Honda and Nissan have done abroad with Lexus,Acura and Infiniti
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 02:29   #40
BANNED

Why would you buy a Hyundai if it costed 30Laks!!! I mean, you would be the stupidest person in existance!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 02:39   #41
BHPian

Cyrus43, i doubt you would say that if you sat in the Genesis sedan. Even after all the horror stories of Skoda, people still say the new Superb is VFM. Same with the Genesis, it's an amazing VFM car at that price, which one will realize only after sitting in it.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up My apology for inclusion of SX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Are you serious SX4, Kizashi are rated over Accord, Camry. I would have to completely disagree with you. In my 2+ years of stay here, i have not seen one sx4 on road here. And monthly sales say the same thing. Won't comment about kizashi as its not on roads yet, but even the car magazines are quite ok with it compared to other cars in its segment. I expect it to be just an ordinary car too (in US).

Accords and camrys are the best buy here for family movers. Only genesis have been able to compete with other luxo brands and have tried to challenge them. I really appreciate their effort - both the coupe and sedan.

I drove genesis coupe and trust me, its one hell of a car. For $25k its sweet deal. Its another thing that i prefer a camaro for that much amount. but that's me.
Hi Chevelle

I am sorry for including SX4 in my comparison with Audis, BMWs, MBs, etc.
I wanted to emphasise that both Suzuki & Hyundai have come up with competent cars off-late - Kizashi & Genesis, both if which have been appreciated by the Auto Experts in North America for their ability to stand up against the European competitors. I hope now I have put my point in a better manner.

By the way, I would also prefer the Camaro over Genesis coupe for its mascular looks over the sleek lines of the Genesis.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:32   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Cyrus43, i doubt you would say that if you sat in the Genesis sedan. Even after all the horror stories of Skoda, people still say the new Superb is VFM. Same with the Genesis, it's an amazing VFM car at that price, which one will realize only after sitting in it.
Im sorry. Nothing would change. The car looks Butt Ugly!! PERIOD!! If It was my own money, there is no way I would spend that much on a car made in Korea.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2010 at 09:33. Reason: Post Edited. Cyrus, please watch what you say. Attempted humour is crossing into racist comments.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi Chevelle

I am sorry for including SX4 in my comparison with Audis, BMWs, MBs, etc.
I wanted to emphasise that both Suzuki & Hyundai have come up with competent cars off-late - Kizashi & Genesis, both if which have been appreciated by the Auto Experts in North America for their ability to stand up against the European competitors. I hope now I have put my point in a better manner.

By the way, I would also prefer the Camaro over Genesis coupe for its mascular looks over the sleek lines of the Genesis.
I did get your drift, but i would still say, they are not at par with Germans. Just a notch below than them. They are at par with Japanese and Yankees without doubt.

I would pick Genesis coupe if i am going to track regularly and was on a budget. Its excellent track toy for <$25k.

I don't like the engine options and interiors of Kizashi. So i doubt it will create any impact on other cars sale. Its a.s.s is also a big worry here. The roles reverses in India though.

I would love to see both these car get launched in India even though it may be in a niche car segment.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 01:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im sorry. Nothing would change. The car looks Butt Ugly!! PERIOD!! If It was my own money, there is no way I would spend that much on a car made in Korea.
Agreed, it looks ugly. Here, the car's priced alongside the fully loaded Accord. Feature wise, it puts the Accord to shame. And neither the Accord nor the Camry are lookers.

OT-I liked the previous Accord (2005)

Last edited by v12 : 16th February 2010 at 12:00. Reason: Quotes edited.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote