Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th February 2010, 10:47   #31
BHPian

Default Style - Price.. there is no real heirarchy of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
From many observations, its clear that in Indian context, style is the second most important factor, next to price..., in the buying process.

Style differentiates cars one another. Take the case of Nano. Why most people refer a Nano to Maruti 800?

Any cars styled properly can be a success in India.

No not necessarily. While it is not logical to compare cars between segments , there are several examples where style (And im including interior quality in my definition of style.) has won over price.

1. The Hyundai i10 sells better than the Xing.
2. The A-Star does better than the Zen Estilo.
3. The city sells better than the Verna, Fiesta, Optra, and Linea (Style is one of the factors in that decision)
4. The Swift sells better than the Indica & Vista
5. The Alto does way better than the 800
6. Endeavour sells better than Safari
7. Xylo sells better than Grande

Similarly, there are poorly styled cars that have failed miserably despite being excellent value

Ofcourse, there are several overlapping factors in the examples citied above, but i still dare to mention them.
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:10   #32
BHPian

Wow that 1.3 lit in 1986 developed 105 bhp. It must have been a rocket.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:33   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Lightbulb Its all about matching personalities

This is a brilliant topic. There was a thread in the past discussing the "image" of various car-brands and I kept on wishing that if there could be a thread at a more granular level talking about individual models rather than broad car-maker brands.

Each car has a personality and a potential buyer is looking for one that matches his persoanlity.

Although priced in similar range, a Civic is way more stylish and sportier than Altis and Laura. So a senior executive is his mid 40's would find the Civic "too stylish" whereas an "young turk" would easily opt for it.

Rather than what they actually like, people worry a lot about how they would be perceived by others. Continuing with the above example, the senior executive might not like to be perceived as "flambouyant" and would rather choose an understated Altis.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 18:07   #34
E63
BANNED

Default How do you like your car design: Edgy or Curvy

How do you like your car design: Curvy or Edgy?

Edgy: Chevy Beat, Honda Accord, Aventador

Curvy: Linea, Punto, Beetle
E63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 18:47   #35
BHPian

Default Re: How do you like your car design: Edgy or Curvy

I'll go with Edgy. While looks may be subjective. I like my car to be sleek, elegant and understated. Just like the Germans do it. I find the Koreans overdone, especially Hyundai (Elantra, Sonata, Verna etc.). The Japanese are quirky (Brio, City, Innova) and Indian designs are wacky and odd (XUV-500, Indica). The Germans know how to design a car that appeals to everybody.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 18:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Indian designs are wacky and odd (XUV-500, Indica). The Germans know how to design a car that appeals to everybody.
Do you really think that indian designs are wacky and odd? I think 1st generation indica is the most beautiful indian hathback till date.
Even indigo cs and nano. Both are cute looking vehicles. And safari looks matcho too. Look at the bolt. It is stunner in red and orange.
tushky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 19:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

"Italian" should be a separate design category, and not mixed up with "curvy" designs.

Good Edgy (blocky, straight lines) designs generally age well. They look good even after 5 or 10 years.

Good curvy (including fluidic & kinetic) designs look good initially, but don't age very well.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 20:20   #38
E63
BANNED

I myself went with Edgy.
I dont know why, but Curvy designs look old, even when they are in the showroom.

Show any kind a pic of a Lambo and a Ferrari, and he'd say Lambo.

PS: I love the way Lambos are designed, but still, I'd get a Ferrari, because they're better around a track. Butt nevertheless, we're talking designs here, so Lambo gets the vote.
E63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 20:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I find the Koreans overdone, especially Hyundai (Elantra, Sonata, Verna etc.). The Japanese are quirky (Brio, City, Innova) and Indian designs are wacky and odd (XUV-500, Indica). The Germans know how to design a car that appeals to everybody.

+ 1 to this, I have the exact same feeling, especially on Indian Designs. I am not able to understand what leads engineers to design the new Alto 800, new Wagon R, Mahindra Xylo (front), Tata Indica (all generations, hope to see better design in flesh and blood with Bolt).. Also the quirky chinese designs in Chevrolet Sail and Enjoy.

In many cases, some designs are supposed to be flamboyant but in reality they appear out of place and ugly (alto's front, for example) and the manufacturer has to rework on the design again.. And with Wagon R, I am really not sure if they ever get picked for its outer design.

Some other quirky designs from other European countries, look at the huge wheel arches of Duster.. It doesn't fit Indian city driving conditions. When one drives in thick traffic and would have to constantly negotiate and pick spaces in between cars and move ahead Or while driving in small lanes (with vehicles parked on sides), with the bulky wheel arches, the driver has to be aware not to squeeze through and get a scratch or dent.
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 22:33   #40
BHPian

For a little while, I thought hard on what I would have liked.
For now, my heart is on the Mini. So its curvy I guess
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 22:56   #41
BHPian

Curvy or Edgy doesn't make a car beautiful or ugly.
The WagonR isn't a looker though it is edgy but an edgy Polo looks very elegant.
The Eon or Beat is curvy and that too overdone. A curvy swift looks sporty and has just the right amount of curves.
Further it is nor a great topic to discuss as looks are subjective and being edgy or curvy alone does not define a car's character or looks.
100kmph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 23:59   #42
BHPian

Is The Punto curvy?? Then its curvy to me. But hey wait, there's this edgy polo too which makes my heart skip every time I see it and then the I20 whose over done curves I am not a fan of also the edgy Wagon R which for all its virtues doesn't have the design going for it.

I believe its all about how well a designer uses the edges or the curves which defines how good a design is rather than the edges or the curves themselves.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 00:17   #43
BHPian

I will vote for both.

If it is an SUV or any practical vehicle I want it edgy. I would say Masculine looking vehicles are edgy.
For other fancy stuff like sports car I want them curvy. For they look voluptuous and desirable if done right like some early european designs eg Delahaye type 175

Last edited by DWind : 26th May 2014 at 00:21.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 00:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I like curvy designs which look as if made of a single sheet of metal. Also, no offence meant, but I feel that the examples of curvy cars given in the opening post are not adequate. They do not cover the gamut well.
However, though I voted for curvy, but then I love how the Accord looks, but then Logan is also edgy and I can never digest its looks, which means that just being edgy or curvy may not hold relevance. The jelly bean Zen is curvy, but one of the best looking hatchbacks sold in India. What say?
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote