Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 17:44   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Go back into history and look at the American Muscle cars - they often drew flack for providing the masses with an affordable yet powerful car (usually without safety features and with bad handling characteristics). They are a perfect parallel to the kind of criticism that the verna diesel is drawing here.

How many of us can honestly say that we wouldn't want to own one?
CrackedHead is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 17:58   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
In a given car for a particular running speed (say60 Kmph) the gear ratio remain same so the engine RPM drive the wheels(driven) at fix RPM
Now if RPM is same but due to bigger circum car travel more distance.
Actually that is wrong. Larger circumference also means additional torque acting against the engine and hence, engine has to pump in more fuel. It is not necessary that quantity of fuel consumed by engine at any given RPM has to same in all conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Anyways, i agree to a point, that it all depends on driver. All these cars in bad hands can turn out to be a widow maker for sure.
While it is possible to crash safest car in this world, what matters is how forgiving the car is for driver's errors. Some cars do better job at that due to better handling/braking/road grip etc, while other cars aren't as good.

Just because any car can be crashed, you don't make poor handling cars. Whether Verna fits the bill or not, is open for debate.
RX135 is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 18:18   #93
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 706
Thanked: 752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
How many of us can honestly say that we wouldn't want to own one?
I don't want to own one. Ever!

Performance and safety need not be mutually exclusive. There are numerous cars out there that perform as good as the Verna, and is much more safer. Heck, cheaper too.

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th February 2010 at 18:20.
civic-sense is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 18:33   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Is the 100-0 figure not high?

I havent driven a Verna either to comment on it! But there are a few owners who have written about losing confidence on speeds above 120! Looks to be a genuine glitch that needs to be addressed, by Hyundai.

Giving a car that can do 0-100 in under 10 secs is just not enough, the 100-0 matters more than the 0-100 for the driver to be there to see this world.

Braking distance - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)


0-100-0 MPH - Total elapsed times (sec)
PORSCHE 911 TURBO 9.4s 4.3s 13.7s
DODGE VIPER GTS 8.8s 5.1s 13.9s
FERRARI F355 10.9s 4.5s 15.4s
CHEVROLET CORVETTE 11.1s 4.6s 15.7s
ACURA NSX-T 11.8s 4.5s 16.3s
TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO 12.3s 4.5s 16.8s
MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4 13.4s 4.5s 17.9s

Read more: 0-100-0 MPH - Motor Trend Magazine

0-100-0 Autocar test - NSX Prime

SRT performance:
60-0 mph in approximately 110 feet


100-0
CCXR - 104.98ft

80-0kmph
Verna VGT - 104.3ft - 2.72secs
Verna 1.6 -114.5ft - 3.08secs

100-0
Verna VGT - 167.65ft - 3.88secs
Verna 1.6 -167.97ft - 3.76secs

100-0 kph
E34 M5 -75.459ft

112-0 kph
E39 M5 -156 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Bravo! Well said.

~ A living uncrashed Verna CRDi owner. Me.


I disagree. I have seen no crashed Indicas in the Hyundai workshop. You should go to the Tata workshop to take pictures and write about the Indica.

Last edited by jkdas : 16th February 2010 at 18:41.
jkdas is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 18:33   #95
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 446
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

^^^^ Civic-sense:

Me too. I wouldn't buy one, nor will i encourage people to do so. Powerful cars SHOULD have enough safety features and should have good driving dynamics. Only then can you put all the power to good use. I have made a couple of my friends buy Fiesta and Linea instead of Verna. Reason: They handle better.

Verna is a good car in the hands of an excellent driver. Not a good upgrade from an M800 if you are not used to acceptably powerful cars.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 16th February 2010 at 18:36.
DieselAddikt is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 19:13   #96
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsasi View Post
cars don't cause accidents. people cause accidents
cars don't kill people. people kill people

as long as the market is price sensitive car makers will continue to do such mistakes. we don't really have any good laws on safety otherwise the Omni would not have been around.

+1

I totally Agree.

Its the one who drives and not what he/she drives.
maglev is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 19:38   #97
BHPian
 
amitverma123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I don't want to own one. Ever!

Performance and safety need not be mutually exclusive. There are numerous cars out there that perform as good as the Verna, and is much more safer. Heck, cheaper too.


The Fiesta 1.6S for one...might be petrol but still super quick and completely planted till even 150.
amitverma123 is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 19:42   #98
BHPian
 
KITE RUNNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I am sure Hyundai is aware of this drawback of Verna, they are giving much importance to safety & handling in their newer cars like i20.

I am sure, all companies are constantly trying to improve their products and that is what we customers want.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th February 2010 at 19:47. Reason: Deleted the off topic post, and hence your reference to it. Thanks
KITE RUNNER is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 19:51   #99
BHPian
 
NOS Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 388
Thanked: 55 Times
Talking

@sidindica

If all those accidents are (assuming your theory) due to the Verna's power/torque then why aren't similar stories cropping up from other parts of India or the world (wherever its sold) for that matter. So that means if we had to assume something similarly weird then Delhi/Noida drivers (guys no offence to any one in particular, just a weird example to match the thread) are not ready for the power of the Verna.

Gosh i never new 110 bhp and 24 kgm was too much for an avg. indian driver to handle, and we dream of 500bhp .

Its just about control. There is a famous saying "With great power comes great responsibility". I don't think its right to condemn the capabilities of the Verna just because few people could not (due to circumstances of their own) control it.
NOS Power is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 20:02   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,375
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
While it is possible to crash safest car in this world, what matters is how forgiving the car is for driver's errors. Some cars do better job at that due to better handling/braking/road grip etc, while other cars aren't as good.
Nail..head..bang! This is exactly the debate. Is the Verna too unforgiving such that misjudgements by drivers inevitably result in an accident? The car's handling and brakes determine how forgiving it is. I have never driven a Verna but those who have will be able to tell you exactly what the answer is.
McLaren Rulez is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 20:16   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post

While it is possible to crash safest car in this world, what matters is how forgiving the car is for driver's errors. Some cars do better job at that due to better handling/braking/road grip etc, while other cars aren't as good.

Just because any car can be crashed, you don't make poor handling cars. Whether Verna fits the bill or not, is open for debate.
+1. And mistake is not always mine. How ever good driver you are, you can still land up in an accident because of somebody else.

I have driven Verna. The power really feels good, but I will never buy one.
cuttingcrew is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 20:35   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

+1 Mclaren Rulez

I have not driven a Verna long enough to comment.

However, I have come across quite a few posts here and in other Tbhp threads saying it is not confidence inspiring beyond 120 kmph.

Question - If a company decides to plonk a powerful engine in a car, should'nt it also ensure that the other dynamics (Chassis, handling, braking, etc.) of the car can cope with it so an average/ normal driver can drive/ enjoy it?

I see people mention accidents of Indica, Omni, Ambassador's ..all of these are no way close to the amount a consumer spends on Verna. If we need a comparison, could it be with cars in the same segment atleast?
visweshkalambur is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 20:36   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
I am sure Hyundai is aware of this drawback of Verna, they are giving much importance to safety & handling in their newer cars like i20.

I am sure, all companies are constantly trying to improve their products and that is what we customers want.
Importance for Safety ? - Yes, aplenty in i120

But Handling is as miserable as a .......ok, say any other Hyundai in Indian market

..Peace..
Mi10 is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 20:37   #104
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Hilarious thread.
I'm not Hyundai fan. Its really absurd taking a couple or more pictures of banged up cars and "stating" that the car is bad and "dangerous".

Just for sake of clarity I've not driven the Verna.

Personally I don't think 110bhp is a "huge" risk in a car.
If you gave a bad driver BMW tuned to produce the power of a TVS Luna he is gonna crash the thing.

Perspectives and perceptions can be different. That cannot be used a "evidence" can it ?
Personal choice yeah... I can call even a Ferrari Enzo as "dud". Will that make it a fact ?

If the car really was that dangerous I'd expect to see a banged up car on every turn on every highway. Do I ? No...!
So its really stupid to pin-up some pics and say the car is bad without giving any "relevant" data.

From the data jkdas, shan2nu has shared it does't look the car is a total "disaster" waiting to happen.

I still remember the first fatal accident I've heard about the Verna.
It was around the time this car was launched.

A guy lost control on the highway, skidded off it crossed a vacant plot (around 100mts) hit a pedestrian and 3-4 chaps in a tea shop. If I recall correctly there were 4 fatalities. The point he lost control is right in front of a hospital and 200 mts before a busy junction. So can we blame the car here too ? Well that is exactly what people did. Later it was found this chap was "testing" the car to see how fast it'll go.

So come on folks post couple more pics of say what cracked up Beemer's and Mercs this time and we can make illogical statements and "validate" those cars are dangerous too. Say what ?

Anyway continue the Hyundai bashing, since I don't like the brand (for no reason whatsoever) I'm loving it.
yzfrj is offline  
Old 16th February 2010, 21:04   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Action seems to have cooled down here a bit. Does that mean Hyundai lovers/bashers have now settled for an "unsafe" tag from the previous "deathtrap" tag? So now, at what threshold value "unsafety" will transform into a "deathtrap"?
sanjayc is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hackers could make your car unsafe and expose to dangers Racer_X Technical Stuff 31 14th September 2011 10:50
Verna Crdi Vs GetZ Crdi. EDIT : Finalising on Getz! aks_karthik Hatchbacks 74 17th May 2009 10:22
Help : Viva crdi or Verna crdi nitindangoria Sedans 15 10th March 2009 22:50
Verna CRDi or i30 CRDi ? Gangsta Sedans 16 12th July 2008 20:41
Swift DDiS vs. Getz CRDi or Verna CRDi??? Help!!!! roadwarrior Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 12th February 2008 23:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks