Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 10:20   #1
BHPian
 
pk_del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Article on Honda's research (for their new small car)

Honda's 'small' move
pk_del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:16   #2
BHPian
 
mail.jaiswal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

About time they realized the disaster of Jazz. India could possibly accommodate another small car with Honda's finesse as long as they price it right.

Just hope its not too much Jazz'ed up this time
mail.jaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 17:00   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,710
Thanked: 89,168 Times
Default

Super article, typical Honda product research.

However, on the pricing & strategy planning, I'm sure the Jazz' market performance taught them more than all the research they'd have spent months on. Sure, focus groups, statistics, planners, excel sheet projections etc. count. But at the end of the day, it's all about common sense.

Quote:
Honda has decided to price it below Rs 500,000. “This will be the cheapest Honda anywhere in the world,” says Honda Director (marketing) Tatsuya Natsume.
Important public statement.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 17:04   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default

Quote:
Sen admits that the conversion ratio (purchases divided by enquiries) for the Jazz is 12.5 per cent, which is way below the industry average of 25 per cent. But the sales have met the target, says he. Though it was built on the City platform and shares 70 per cent of its components, the price of the Jazz was high because of the reinforced hatch, which caused the rest of the body also to be beefed up. As Honda has decided against selling any car at a loss, it could not price it lower. “However, it has given us a foothold in the hatchback market. People now know that we too can make hatchbacks,” adds Sen.
They will never admit that the Jazz is a flop. Sales have met their target it seems..!
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 17:58   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
They will never admit that the Jazz is a flop. Sales have met their target it seems..!
aim low and you'll always exceed your expectations
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 18:00   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 335
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Very interesting to see the attention to details from Honda. An easier option will be to replicate what Suzuki and Hyundai have done . I hope the final product doesn't look like the one displayed at Auto Expo!
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 18:49   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,174
Thanked: 953 Times
Default

I get tickled when companies come out with really dumb press releases like saris for Indian woman friendly design, send sardars to Japan for more punjabi friendly design etc..etc...
The point is Honda had announced their small car plans way before Toyota but come the New Delhi expo all they had was a amateurish mock up while Toyota had production ready concepts in place.
High time that Honda realises that its strategy to milking a brand name and overpricing its products wont always work, sooner or later the customers are going to catch the bluff.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 19:06   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I get tickled when companies come out with really dumb press releases like saris for Indian woman friendly design, send sardars to Japan for more punjabi friendly design etc..etc...
The point is Honda had announced their small car plans way before Toyota but come the New Delhi expo all they had was a amateurish mock up while Toyota had production ready concepts in place.
High time that Honda realises that its strategy to milking a brand name and overpricing its products wont always work, sooner or later the customers are going to catch the bluff.
ditto... couldnt have put it better. By the way saree thing is indeed hilarious and hardly believeable. The article reads like a paid advertisement.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 19:07   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Super article, typical Honda product research.
Yes, but I still love the way Japanese approach.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 19:15   #10
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Exclamation

This article is the perfect answer to my "honda life" thread
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 22:25   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
An easier option will be to replicate what Suzuki and Hyundai have done .
It would take a monumental effort to replicate what Suzuki and Hyundai have done. IMO, Honda is some years away from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
High time that Honda realises that its strategy to milking a brand name and overpricing its products wont always work, sooner or later the customers are going to catch the bluff.
I read in another thread that some Bangalore Honda dealers are charging a non-refundable deposit of INR 50,000 for a test drive of CRV. One needs to pay up this amount upfront, it seems, to get a CRV test drive.

Honda took Indian buyer for granted, and reaping the price for that. All it would take is some serious competition in the C segment for Honda's market share to go down. Right now, it is their City all the way in that segment. An Octavia repositioning or Toyota sedan would change the story.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 23:48   #12
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
IAn Octavia repositioning or Toyota sedan would change the story.
Small correction..The Etios does not certainly look like it's going to dislodge the ANHC. It's not even close. It's an even bigger con than Honda's alleged take-indian-customer-for-a-ride, as some posts on this thread seem to suggest. Our bhpians have called it similar to a logan and I partly agree.Not too much to show for all those so-called years of research. See the Toyota Auto expo threads.

Octavia within reach of honda city - maybe yes.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 23:57   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I read in another thread that some Bangalore Honda dealers are charging a non-refundable deposit of INR 50,000 for a test drive of CRV. One needs to pay up this amount upfront, it seems, to get a CRV test drive.
WhAT??

Thats propostorous... Non refundable deposit for a TD?? What if i TD the car and dont like it!?? Is that even legal??

If any dealer would have said that to me, I would have simply laughed uncontrollably and walked off while showing then obsene gestures (Sorry ... I am still a child)!!
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 10:54   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

So, if you indeed go ahead and book a CRV after the test drive, would they give you a 50,000 Rs discount on it? (That also saves you some tax ;-) )
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 11:10   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
WhAT??

Thats propostorous... Non refundable deposit for a TD?? What if i TD the car and dont like it!?? Is that even legal??

If any dealer would have said that to me, I would have simply laughed uncontrollably and walked off while showing then obsene gestures (Sorry ... I am still a child)!!
I read this in another thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1678217 (Petra to Laura - I will never learn!!)
Quote:
I didn't consider Civic just because of Dealer attitude as I was also interested in considering Honda CRV. They had insisted to pay booking amount of 50K prior to test drive, only after paying the amount they will allow test drive of CRV and the amount is not refundable if decided not to buy after the test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Small correction..The Etios does not certainly look like it's going to dislodge the ANHC. It's not even close. It's an even bigger con than Honda's alleged take-indian-customer-for-a-ride, as some posts on this thread seem to suggest. Our bhpians have called it similar to a logan and I partly agree.Not too much to show for all those so-called years of research. See the Toyota Auto expo threads.

Octavia within reach of honda city - maybe yes.
I did not mean/say Toyota Etios. A Toyota sedan (and others as well) competing seriously with Honda City would change the story. That is all.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Bijoy & BSM gave me room for a Schumi article in their Anniversary Issue! deetjohn Int'l Motorsport 21 11th September 2013 17:57
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59
Audi, BMW & Merc In India - What They Are Up To & Their Strategies (ET Article) smartcat The Indian Car Scene 2 26th March 2012 18:15
Why should Honda bring their new small car earlier? OHC VTEC The Indian Car Scene 10 25th July 2010 12:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks