Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th September 2011, 08:30   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Mercedes can blame the X1 as much as it wants but here are some of the reasons why they are not #1, I have not put them in order of what is more important just posted randomly.
Thanks S350L-E240 for providing this excellent write-up. Very well summarised indeed!
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Mercedes can blame the X1 as much as it wants but here are some of the reasons why they are not #1, I have not put them in order of what is more important just posted randomly.

|
|
|

Good night,
Nice reasoning. Probably as they were first here to lead the luxury segment, their lethargic attitude since then is hurting them now.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th September 2011 at 11:24. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability for our mobile users.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 11:35   #78
Senior - BHPian

I have heard more problems with MB engines seizing &/or developing cracks due to rain water stranded on roads entering the engine bay, particularly with the E-Class. In fact, my boss has been instructed by the dealer not to take out his car in rains, de to which he has to travel by one of his Corollas. In comparison, another AVP in my office travels by 5-Series (previous gen one), & need not care care for rains, or as a matter of fact for any season.

Add to this, I have heard on infotainment programmes in CNBC, that MB is not willing to help people on this issue, & in fact blame people for driving the cars in rain, rather than ensuring that their cars work well whether it rains or not.

Further, MB can always blame for BMW for discounting (read corporate versions) to gain customers, but, ins't this what they could have done to avoid losing market to rivals.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 5th September 2011 at 11:37.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

If I could find a way to find my extremely old threads which were related to E240 and an S350 and their multiple failures people will understand why Mercedes die hard fans like me stay away from them, there were people who still work with MBIL and without naming them they are people I would stay a mile away from.

Even Debashis Mitra as nice a person he is, he knows little about Mercedes and it's products and really a wrong person I believe who loves to point fingers only because the others did better what they should have done long back, but then now we have Mr. Peter Honegg lets hope he gets it up, and fire some of the after sales staff who only work there to be able to go to Shimla and other places in their test cars.

Is there any way I can get my old threads? They lacked detail as at that time I was only an angry teen, but will give you an idea of Mercedes and its support?

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 08:30   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this cracker of an ad in FB. Copyright - rightful owners.

Name:  bmw.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  45.3 KB
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 10:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Found this cracker of an ad in FB. Copyright - rightful owners.

Attachment 843344

Posted in this very same thread and another thread(link to that in the 2nd page of this thread, I think)
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 12:20   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I still don't understand why none of the 3 have launched manual transmissions, at least in C/3/A4. Many cars in this segment are chauffeur-driven, and the owners will not care about the transmission.
Also, the manual transmissions will bring down the production cost by some 1.5 lakhs, considering that they offer quite advanced automatic technologies (except with CDI perhaps).
My question is: how would it negatively affect these brands if they launch manual transmissions?
I completely agree with you.

In fact, many people who buy the 3 series, are driving enthusiasts who, might actually prefer a manual transmission.

Audi's DSG system is brilliant, but the auto in the BMW is exceptionally sluggish. I, for one, would love to have the option of a manual in that segment.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 13:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Posted in this very same thread and another thread(link to that in the 2nd page of this thread, I think)
Could not find the same pic on this thread. Had navigated completely thru the pages before posting. Anyhow there is a similar pic to this.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 13:12   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

Audi's DSG system is brilliant, but the auto in the BMW is exceptionally sluggish. I, for one, would love to have the option of a manual in that segment.
If you are talking about the A4 then the 1.8, 2.0 t/tdi don't have the DSG. They have CVTs.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 13:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you are talking about the A4 then the 1.8, 2.0 t/tdi don't have the DSG. They have CVTs.
Are you serious!!!

But the Skoda Laura's and VW Jetta's offer the same engine with DSG, at a much lower price point.

Shame on Audi

And all the more reason that the German 3 should offer manual transmission in their entry segment cars.
I remember Mercedes used to offer manual in the old C-Class, don't know if they still do with the new model.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 15:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

I can guess why they don't offer manual transmission. For Euro markets, tall gearing suits best (I believe all these cars come with tall gears). It won't work here. It would cost them too much to design an India specific gearbox.

Also, their diesel engines produce much more power than similar capacity engines of other manufacturers. Along with better electronics, I am sure these have bigger turbochargers. So the turbolag will actually work against the popularity of the product.

Note: I have only been in a manual 320d in South Africa, never driven it. That drive gave me these thoughts.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 15:36   #87
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

While a PR war has been on between BMW and Mercedese,

Audi has been trying to reach affluent places where BMW and Mercedese don't know what exactly they do, but I for example see that Vadodara is flooded with Audi's (at times I think more than in even Mumbai and in comparision BMW is a distant second and mercedese just non existant.)

At some point the companies do also have to think about their nationwide presence.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:47   #88
BHPian

Rolex to watches is what Merc is to cars. Known, valued and cherished in every nook and corner of the world.

Show someone who is not into watches, a Patek Phillipe or a Dewitt, he is simply going to say: it's not a Rolex though

I'm enjoying these PR wars and given the maturity model of these companies, I believe the competition is going to only yield QUALITY products at great value, which as GTO's opening post says, "is good for us customers". I hope the day (or year) is not too far when I can own one of these quality cars.

OT: luxury product market in India rocks and is booming. When it comes to watches, I'm seeing advertisements "stamp size in a corner" for Omega, routine quarter pages for Longines and Tag Heuer and once even for Ulysse Nardin.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 18th November 2011 at 13:01.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 23:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Came across this video on FB.

DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 23:41   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Came across this video on FB.
Quite an old one Adi. We have a dedicated thread on this ad-war.

Jaguar's hilarious response to Merc's "magic body control" ad
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote