Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 14:37   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
hanmust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calicut
Posts: 2,480
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
So what happens to the W140 limo?It used to look beautiful in black with that V12 badge.
Say what you want but the sense of power that the W140 used to exude cannot be matched by this s-gaurd.
Rashtrapathi Bhavan also have W220 Pullmann, but W140 is seen more, that shows its personality!



Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
+1 to that
Can't deny that each s class looks it's part.
But the w126 and w140 are the best looking s classes for me so far.
w126 for that businessman feeling and w140- can't describe.The car just oooozzes a kinda of what???
"BIG BAD YAKUZA!!!" or "the Prez has just arrived folks" or "Get outta ma way!!"
Timeless at the same time the w116 reminds me of a dictator.
But the present s class is not that bad.Barring the headlights it's got the aura of a s class.
hanmust special you say??
I mean the s500,can't wait to see it in your show.
But you waiting for s65 AMG , S600 pullman or what?. certainly would have an impact on the viewers(non-Tbhpians) if you brought along the pullman for the show.
; all S-class has its own prestigeous idendity, only W220 to be kept a little apart! But the majestic 'move away from my way' look is most for the W140, thats why its one of my favorites, espcially V12, Speedy u lucky guy!

But W221 is also a better car, has the build like tank feel in flesh. I expect the upcoming W222 to have more W140 ish build & presense!
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 22:27   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 607 Times
Default

Yep!!! Going by the F700 and F800 concepts,the next gen s class is out to regain the old glory,except the rear of both the concepts look cheapish
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 15:52   #33
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,938
Thanked: 1,924 Times
Default Re: Mercedes Benz launches the S Guard in India

Our President will now travel in a S600L Pullman.

President's limo gets a 6 crore upgrade - The Times of India
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 15:14   #34
BHPian
 
veyron_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Mercedes Benz launches the S Guard in India

Found this on Rediff.com, Pranab Mukherjee will get to ride in his S600L pullman as the President of India: PHOTOS: President Pranab Mukherjee's swanky Mercedes - Rediff.com News

Last edited by veyron_head : 24th July 2012 at 15:19.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 11:05   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Aamir Khan if you go by this news item:- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...w/28901675.cms
HAHA, you got it right. Unfortunately i was told by the manufacturers not to reveal the name, when they came to sell us the Guard. Its pretty darn expensive registered in Mumbai. If i believe right, Hritik has just bought the new S500 and not a guard, cause the Merc guys would have rattled his name as well.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 12:26   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 320
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
HAHA, you got it right. Unfortunately i was told by the manufacturers not to reveal the name, when they came to sell us the Guard. Its pretty darn expensive registered in Mumbai. If i believe right, Hritik has just bought the new S500 and not a guard, cause the Merc guys would have rattled his name as well.
Has the W222 been released in Guard?
Or maybe they are getting good deals on existing stock!
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 12:37   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Has the W222 been released in Guard?
Or maybe they are getting good deals on existing stock!
Its a W222 Guard as per the Mercedes person and comes to Rs.11 crores registered in Bombay. We were told about the W222 Guard in our discussion with them and they do not have any previous generation Gaurds in stock. Its on order basis only.

Last edited by speedy : 19th February 2014 at 12:43.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 13:18   #38
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,938
Thanked: 1,924 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
HAHA, you got it right. Unfortunately i was told by the manufacturers not to reveal the name, when they came to sell us the Guard.
Nothing can be kept a secret when an Actor's PR machinery is hard at work!

Quote:
Its a W222 Guard as per the Mercedes person and comes to Rs.11 crores registered in Bombay.
11cr price tag is not surprising, it costed half of that back in 2010 when the S Guard was officially launched.
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 13:43   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Nothing can be kept a secret when an Actor's PR machinery is hard at work!

11cr price tag is not surprising, it costed half of that back in 2010 when the S Guard was officially launched.
Yes i did not realise that part..

Its still in the 5 cr ex showroom bracket and then registration and all, so ends up at 11 cr. I would get a Lamborghini (ideally a ferrari, but don't want to deal with the Brand dealer) and a S500 instead of the Guard.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes i did not realise that part..

Its still in the 5 cr ex showroom bracket and then registration and all, so ends up at 11 cr. I would get a Lamborghini (ideally a ferrari, but don't want to deal with the Brand dealer) and a S500 instead of the Guard.
You can't really compare the Guard S500 to any of these cars as the reasons for buying it are totally different. The Guard does not feature in a list of options to ponder over when you have a multi-crore budget for a car. It only comes into the picture when you unfortunately have threats and the price you pay is for security and peace of mind which can't be valued in monetary terms.

Although I did believe the film industry is today in a much cleaner environment, away from the underworld threats of the 90s. However seems this is yet on going since these celebs are opting for bulletproof cars.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:56   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You can't really compare the Guard S500 to any of these cars as the reasons for buying it are totally different. The Guard does not feature in a list of options to ponder over when you have a multi-crore budget for a car. It only comes into the picture when you unfortunately have threats and the price you pay is for security and peace of mind which can't be valued in monetary terms.

Although I did believe the film industry is today in a much cleaner environment, away from the underworld threats of the 90s. However seems this is yet on going since these celebs are opting for bulletproof cars.
I in no ways was comparing, i just mentioned what i would prefer getting in the price tag.

I can understand if Hritik has got the Guard for his father as he has had incidents in the past. I really don't understand why Aamir needs one, but i guess he is taking his precautions and setting in the trend for Celebs too.

No denying that monetary terms are not looked into by the ones who can afford it, its the question of ones safety and security.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 15:14   #42
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

@speedy

a whooping 11 Cr!?!? are you sure? i mean considering it is a 5Cr car to start with - how do the taxes add up to another 6Cr?
and isn't the basic s for about 1.5ish nowadays? I assume that the car (the exshowroom car) would be loaded with all the safety features one would want (bullet proofing, moving office, heck even run flat tyres) and if not - what do they have to offer to justify the initial 5Cr price tag?

and why a 120% tax over and above the exshowroom price?
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 15:33   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 320
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I in no ways was comparing, i just mentioned what i would prefer getting in the price tag.

I can understand if Hritik has got the Guard for his father as he has had incidents in the past. I really don't understand why Aamir needs one, but i guess he is taking his precautions and setting in the trend for Celebs too.
Maybe just as a status symbol of a bulletproof car. It is common in our country for people having no threats to their lives to demand and use X,Y,Z, Z+ security. Many people also take gun licenses for the same reason.

I believe the Guard will only come with a V12 S600( with undisclosed enhanced power over a regular one) while 1.5 Cr is the ex showroom for the S500.

I have read that the Merc guard specs are a top secret w.r.t. protection levels and certain other features. 11 Crs would make sense since all duties and taxes will be applicable on the landed price in India (cost of armoring isn't separate)

Armored cars have horrible resale values though.

Slightly OT: People walked out after a rocket grenade attack on a guard w140, 11 Crs is nothing
Sources:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/monitoring/55205.stm
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...de-attack.html
http://www.economist.com/node/113611
Attached Images
   

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 19th February 2014 at 15:47.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:55   #44
BHPian
 
doctorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 552
Thanked: 369 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@speedy

a whooping 11 Cr!?!? are you sure? i mean considering it is a 5Cr car to start with - how do the taxes add up to another 6Cr?
and isn't the basic s for about 1.5ish nowadays? I assume that the car (the exshowroom car) would be loaded with all the safety features one would want (bullet proofing, moving office, heck even run flat tyres) and if not - what do they have to offer to justify the initial 5Cr price tag?

and why a 120% tax over and above the exshowroom price?
Samyak, the import duty now stays at an approximate 170% plus about 27% for octroi, registration and insurance. Your math now.

I remember the previous generation S guard which went to the mighty business house was hovering around 9.5cr on the road mumbai. So a 1.5cr premium for the new generation S guard sounds right to me. However absurd.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:03   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@speedy

a whooping 11 Cr!?!? are you sure? i mean considering it is a 5Cr car to start with - how do the taxes add up to another 6Cr?
and isn't the basic s for about 1.5ish nowadays? I assume that the car (the exshowroom car) would be loaded with all the safety features one would want (bullet proofing, moving office, heck even run flat tyres) and if not - what do they have to offer to justify the initial 5Cr price tag?

and why a 120% tax over and above the exshowroom price?
Thats what the Mercedes people mentioned, 11 cr. The duty is now at 170 or 180% and is said to go up in the budget by another 10 to 15 %.

The normal S500 comes to 1.3 and the launch edition is 1.5 ish. The Gaurds are the S600's v12's and not the V8's as per my knowledge, so the price difference is there and also factor in production costs (panels,glass) which would be different than a normal s class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Maybe just as a status symbol of a bulletproof car. It is common in our country for people having no threats to their lives to demand and use X,Y,Z, Z+ security. Many people also take gun licenses for the same reason.

I believe the Guard will only come with a V12 S600( with undisclosed enhanced power over a regular one) while 1.5 Cr is the ex showroom for the S500.

I have read that the Merc guard specs are a top secret w.r.t. protection levels and certain other features. 11 Crs would make sense since all duties and taxes will be applicable on the landed price in India (cost of armoring isn't separate)


The Guard is a V12

The Cost of 11 crores is the registered cost of the car in Bombay. This includes, duties, registration, insurance and any other cost as per my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Samyak, the import duty now stays at an approximate 170% plus about 27% for octroi, registration and insurance. Your math now.

I remember the previous generation S guard which went to the mighty business house was hovering around 9.5cr on the road mumbai. So a 1.5cr premium for the new generation S guard sounds right to me. However absurd.
Oh these would attract octroi as well.

I had heard 8.5 or 9 cr as the cost to the person.

Last edited by speedy : 20th February 2014 at 15:11.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz to launch S-Guard in India on May 21, 2015 Aditya The Indian Car Scene 6 21st June 2015 15:31
Sump guard and Petrol tank guard for Palio S10 Seasoned Player The Indian Car Scene 2 29th June 2011 12:46
Chamber Guard / fuel tank Guard krazydriver84 Modifications & Accessories 14 3rd December 2008 16:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks