Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th February 2010, 13:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Here in AP, the road tax needs to be paid before (read as for) getting the Temporary registration from the RTO concerned.

Regards,
Kalyan
If you tell your Dealer that you'll do the registration in some other state, they will just pay the normal Temp reg fee at 2-3k and not pay the life time tax.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 13:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
If you tell your Dealer that you'll do the registration in some other state, they will just pay the normal Temp reg fee at 2-3k and not pay the life time tax.
Thanks for replying. So, such a process exists.

My dealer made me believe that he had to pay road tax online in order to be able to generate the TR number/ invoice for my car.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:20   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. I want to buy it in Bangalore because I will keep visiting Bangalore for couple of weeks and will have more time in Bangalore than going to some other city in AP. I enquired with few dealers here(Bangalore) and they say that I can do it. I need to pay only temporary registration charge which will be max 2-3k. Later I can pay the normal registration charges in AP. I will be going back to AP tomorrow and will enquire about the later part in AP. I will be using the vehicle mostly in AP infact my parents and in-laws will be using the vehicle. So I would like to buy the vehicle and use it as long as I am in India(till end of March).
Again thanks a lot for all your suggestions and update you later.
shivapsreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 15:30   #19

Default Re: Can I buy a new car in Bangalore and register in AP?

Hi Guys,

I need some advice: I'm looking to buy a BMW X1, but I'm very specific about not wanting beige interiors, but instead want black interiors. The only dealer in Hyd says he does not have any stock other than beige interiors, while one dealer in Bombay has stock of cars with black interiors. I work in Hyd, and will primarily be using this car in Hyd, but have the option of buying from Bombay as this is my permanent address.

Couple of questions:
1. Can I buy and register, pay road tax in MH and then use the car in Hyd without any problems (so MH number plate in AP)?
2. The dealer has given me the alternate option of buying the car here and then registering and paying the road tax in AP, but I'm wondering what kind of time and effort will that take on my part....will the Hyd RTO create problems for me etc. (expecting bribe or other problems for just delaying the procedure for me etc etc)? I do not know any agent or do not have any contacts who can "simplify" the registration process for me in Hyd.

Thanks in advance!
Hashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 16:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashed View Post
Hi Guys,

I need some advice: I'm looking to buy a BMW X1, but I'm very specific about not wanting beige interiors, but instead want black interiors. The only dealer in Hyd says he does not have any stock other than beige interiors, while one dealer in Bombay has stock of cars with black interiors. I work in Hyd, and will primarily be using this car in Hyd, but have the option of buying from Bombay as this is my permanent address.

Couple of questions:
1. Can I buy and register, pay road tax in MH and then use the car in Hyd without any problems (so MH number plate in AP)?
2. The dealer has given me the alternate option of buying the car here and then registering and paying the road tax in AP, but I'm wondering what kind of time and effort will that take on my part....will the Hyd RTO create problems for me etc. (expecting bribe or other problems for just delaying the procedure for me etc etc)? I do not know any agent or do not have any contacts who can "simplify" the registration process for me in Hyd.

Thanks in advance!
The better option is to register the car in AP as you will have the car here. The best route will be to go thru the agent as that will ease up things for you. Am sure some of the bhpians can help. Or else youmight haveto go to RTO office & check with someone. Ideally I don't find a reason for trouble, then a lot of our government staffs think of trying to make quick bucks always.

Is the dealer same in both the places? If so you could try getting it done thru them in Hyderabad. Also I suggest you keep the car in Mumbai till you get the number & then drive it to Hyderabad than running on temp registration.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th December 2012 at 16:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 17:47   #21
BHPian

you can buy a car in a different state and register it in another.
you have to transport your car to the other state, in your case AP, by getting a proper temporary number from the dealer.
when the car enters the other state you have to pay some tax like octroi which is calculated from the ex showroom price of the car. however I'm not too sure about the rules in AP.

member karan561 bought his 328i in a similar way. you can check out his thread.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 17:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

BHP-ian karan561 recently bought his BMW 328i from Kerala and registered it in his home state. You could contact him for his experience/tips.

I think it's better to register the car at your normal place of residence - it's probably less hassle that way. Or if you have planned to go back to Mumbai in the next 2-3 years, then you could register the car in Mumbai and use it at Hyderabad.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 17:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashed View Post

Couple of questions:

Thanks in advance!
Avoid option 1. You can drive an MH regn car in Hyderabad for a maximum of 1 month without paying road tax. RTA in Hyderabad is very prompt in catching vehicles who are plying in Hyd without paying the AP road tax. When I took my KL regn car to Hyd, they caught me within in a week.

Even if you pay the tax, you are likely to be flagged down every now and then by the RTA folks for checking (also by traffic constables when there is a festival approaching!), meaning you have to always anticipate an additional 15 mins on road if you need to reach your destination on time.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 18:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

You may buy the car from anywhere.

Suppose you wish to buy the Car from Bangalore & want it to be registered @ AP.

You have to pay the Car's price, insurance and along with TP/Garage no. you have to obtain (kind of NOC) from the dealer in favor of (suppose) Hyderabad RTO.

Then, VAT shall be subtracted from Car's price & entry tax of 8% be levied along with the prevailing road tax (For EG. 7% @ Bihar, 13.5% @ Bangalore).

If the Car costs 10,00,000, you would be spending Rs. 80,000 as sheer waste. Buy the Car where your base is & you would be operating the Car IMO.

You may register the Car @ Karnataka if you have property/electricity bill or bank A/C @ the place you wish to register.

As of now Rs. 335 (@ Bihar) is added for HSRP (High Security Registration Plates)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 23:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The better option is to register the car in AP as you will have the car here. The best route will be to go thru the agent as that will ease up things for you. Am sure some of the bhpians can help. Or else youmight haveto go to RTO office & check with someone. Ideally I don't find a reason for trouble, then a lot of our government staffs think of trying to make quick bucks always.

Is the dealer same in both the places? If so you could try getting it done thru them in Hyderabad. Also I suggest you keep the car in Mumbai till you get the number & then drive it to Hyderabad than running on temp registration.
It would be great if some BHPian could throw some light on where I could find exact rules for AP if I want to buy it outside and then register it in AP. I agree, not worth the hassle and need peace of mind when commuting everyday. Unfortunately these are different dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
member karan561 bought his 328i in a similar way. you can check out his thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
BHP-ian karan561 recently bought his BMW 328i from Kerala and registered it in his home state. You could contact him for his experience/tips.

I think it's better to register the car at your normal place of residence - it's probably less hassle that way. Or if you have planned to go back to Mumbai in the next 2-3 years, then you could register the car in Mumbai and use it at Hyderabad.
Hope karan561 can throw some light here - as I'm a Newbie I cannot PM - I have read his thread as well (what a car!!). I actually may have to move to another city due to job transfer in 2-3 years, looks like I will have to go through the hassle at least once during the X1 ownership experience (i.e if I don't give up on it completely - I am very particular about not getting the beige interiors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Avoid option 1. You can drive an MH regn car in Hyderabad for a maximum of 1 month without paying road tax. RTA in Hyderabad is very prompt in catching vehicles who are plying in Hyd without paying the AP road tax. When I took my KL regn car to Hyd, they caught me within in a week.
Thanks, this info is enough for me to change my mind about registering in MH and driving in AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You may buy the car from anywhere.

Suppose you wish to buy the Car from Bangalore & want it to be registered @ AP.

You have to pay the Car's price, insurance and along with TP/Garage no. you have to obtain (kind of NOC) from the dealer in favor of (suppose) Hyderabad RTO.

Then, VAT shall be subtracted from Car's price & entry tax of 8% be levied along with the prevailing road tax (For EG. 7% @ Bihar, 13.5% @ Bangalore).

If the Car costs 10,00,000, you would be spending Rs. 80,000 as sheer waste. Buy the Car where your base is & you would be operating the Car IMO.

You may register the Car @ Karnataka if you have property/electricity bill or bank A/C @ the place you wish to register.

As of now Rs. 335 (@ Bihar) is added for HSRP (High Security Registration Plates)
This entry tax is shockingly high! I wonder when our archaic rules will change, at the end of the day most people are honest and not trying to cheat the government of road tax (what about folks who get transferred due to job?). In fact, in my case MH tax is higher (with octroi). They should have a rule that if the new state you are going to has higher road tax then one should simply pay the difference and not the entire amount again! I know they have a facility of reimbursement from previous state but I guess one would see that amount along with LIC maturity only.
Hashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 15:34   #26

My first post on tBHP after being a keen follower for long

I had a similar query, hence deemed it fit to post in this thread. I wondered whether it would be possible to purchase a new vehicle in a place where it has a lower ex-showroom price and get it registered in Bangalore, thereby saving few precious grands on the tax.

For example, lets consider the new Skoda Octavia. Is it possible to buy the car in Pune (where the ex-showroom price is around 7 grands lesser), get a TR done there and drive it down to Bangalore for registration? Will it be hassle free considering that there is no entry tax levied in karnataka (vide this article)?

On paper it looks like all savings for me. If this were legally possible, one could be able to save anywhere between 2-2.5 lakhs (including transport expenditures), hence seems lucrative . Could any Punekar fellow BHPian throw some light on this and let me know whether it is permitted in MH?
srikanth.hv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:58   #27
BHPian

Shrikanth,

There is no real savings unless of course the dealer in Pune is giving you substantial discount on the ex-showroom price.

Whatever discount you may get is immaterial to the RTO guys. They will still calculate the road tax on the ex-showroom BLR price and not the discounted value.

I have bought a car last year from Gurgaon and registered in Blr RTO. No amount of logic or argument helped.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Shrikanth,

There is no real savings unless of course the dealer in Pune is giving you substantial discount on the ex-showroom price.

Whatever discount you may get is immaterial to the RTO guys. They will still calculate the road tax on the ex-showroom BLR price and not the discounted value.

I have bought a car last year from Gurgaon and registered in Blr RTO. No amount of logic or argument helped.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply Paresh. But isn't RTO supposed to calculate the Road Tax on the invoice value of your purchase (the actual amount on your bill) irrespective of the ex-showroom price in Bangalore? Or am I missing something here?

Since you have the first hand experience, it makes me conclude that there is no way one can escape the high ex-showroom prices and sky-high road taxes in Bangalore
srikanth.hv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:48   #29
BHPian

Sorry Srikanth, it does not work that way!

Have checked with a friend who is in the RTO. He says that the simple method adopted by the RTO is to get the copy of the ex-showroom prices from the respected manufacturers when the particular model is launched and this is used as a reference.

Example given by him - If one wins a car in a lucky draw, he still has to pay the Road tax for the same. In such a case the invoice value to the winner reflects as a zero but, the winner cannot get away with the road tax.

Cheers

Last edited by pareshraheja : 23rd October 2013 at 12:50. Reason: Grammatical error
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

I believe you can still benefit from the difference in Sales Tax (GST) Rates prevalent in different states, but not the road tax.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote