Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st April 2010, 14:51   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Somebody I know intends to buy a car in this price range pretty shortly.

So here is his question.

Consider that the Honda Accord now costs 23 lacs (this is a corporate registration) and has everything in it, including AT. And a VERY comfortable rear seat.

Now consider that this person can buy a VW Passat for 23L too. On road corporate reg.
BUT the VW has no AT, only MT.

What would you buy and why?

P.S. The Superb is not an option.

Sam,

I personally prefer MT, having said that, here are my other reasons to buy the Passat.

1) It is much better built
2) High Speed stability is much better
3) One can expect better economy figures
4) Black interiors are just simply statuesque ! BUT the Beige Passat Interiors are better than the Beige Accord Interiors.
5) Better ergonomics with the Passat
6) I find no issues with the rear seating in the Passat (but, I have not done a detailed comparison with the Accord)
7) A very subjective opinion, The German looks much better than the Japanese.
8) I also prefer German ride quality to Japanese ride quality.

I have the Petrol Laura, have driven the Petrol Superb, and at some point will drive the Petrol Passat. There is no other Petrol Engine this side of 35 lacs that offers better driving pleasure :-) The Accord V6 might be equivalent, but the chasis and body are screaming for major improvements to derive the most out of the engine, and even then, in real world conditions the 1.8 TSI will give it a major run for its money.

Cheers!
imp!

Last edited by imp! : 1st April 2010 at 14:53.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 15:22   #137
BHPian

Default Official – VW adds new TSI to Passat and TDI to Jetta

The new VW Passat’s 1.8 L TSI makes 160PS and 250Nm, and is coupled to a 6-speed manual transmission. The Passat is priced at Rs 19.20 lakhs, ex showroom New Delhi.

The Jetta’s 2.0 L diesel Comfortline is priced at Rs. 15.92 lakhs, ex showroom, New Delhi. It uses a 2.0-liter common rail diesel engine that makes 110PS and 250Nm of torque. The engine is coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission.

Press Release

Volkswagen introduces the Passat TSI in India
Also brings in the 2.0 L Jetta Common Rail Diesel Engine

New Delhi, March 31, 2010: Volkswagen, Europe’s largest car maker announced the launch of the Passat TSI and Jetta common rail diesel engine today.

The Passat 1.8 L TSI is priced at Rs 19.20 lakhs, ex showroom New Delhi. The Jetta 2.0 L diesel Comfortline is priced at Rs. 15.92 lakhs. ex showroom, New Delhi.

The Passat will now come with the world renowned TSI Petrol Engine. This engine from Volkswagen is known for Maximum power with minimum fuel consumption. It’s a pioneering technology for Petrol engines.TSI engines are compact, high-powered and use less fuel thereby offering an enjoyable and involving drive, while cutting fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Commenting on the launch of Passat & Jetta, Mr. Neeraj Garg, Member of Board and Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India Pvt. Ltd said “At Volkswagen we are always striving to provide our customers with superior driving experience while maintaining our responsibility towards the environment. The Passat TSI and the Jetta common rail diesel engines are so well refined that not only will they provide superior driving experience but also decrease fuel consumption and lower emissions.”

Passat 1.8 L TSI

Passat 1.8L TSI MT

Engine type

4-Cylinder TSI Petrol engine

Max. Power output

118 kW (160 PS) @ 4500- 6500 rpm

Max. Torque

250 Nm @ 1500- 4500 rpm

Transmission

6- Speed manual gearbox

Standard Features:

Exterior

•16-inch “Milwaukee” alloy wheels with 215/55 R16 tyres • Colour-keyed door mirror housings and door handles • Door mirrors with integral turn signals • Bi-Xenon headlamps with cornering lights • Headlight washer system • Chrome plated radiator grille • Colour-keyed bumpers • Heat insulated tinted glass

Interior

• Deluxe sports seats at front • “Nappa” leather seat upholstery • Leather covered steering wheel and gear knob • Bottle holders on all doors • Cup holders at front and rear • Multi-function display “Plus” • “Burr walnut” decorative insert • Center armrest with storage • Illuminated vanity mirrors with cover

Safety and Security

• 8 airbags • ABS with ESP • Safety- optimized head restraints • Engine immobilizer • Front & rear fog lights • Wheels locks • All disc brakes • Alarm with interior protection • Electro-mechanical parking break with Auto-Hold function • With “ISOFIX” attachment

Comfort

• Cruise control • “Climatronic” auto air conditioner with 2-zone temperature control • AC vents at rear • 12 way power adjustments in front seats • Driver seat with memory • Electrically operated sunshades on rear window • Remote unlocking for luggage compartment • Comfort start function “Press and Drive” • Electric windows with comfort operation and anti-pinch • Central locking with radio remote control • Power assisted steering • Rake & reach adjustable steering column • Electrically adjustable door mirrors • Rear reading lights • RCD510 touch screen audio system with MP3 player, 6 CD changer, 8 Loudspeakers & built-in SD card • With “Coming home” & “Leaving home” function • Rain sensor • Auto sensing headlights • Electrically adjustable & foldable outer rear view mirror • Electric sunroof • Park distance control front & rear • Multi-function steering wheel •

Colours Available

• Candy white • Deep black pearl effect • Mocha anthracite • Reflex silver, metallic • Silver leaf, metallic • Iron grey

Fuel Efficiency: 12.69 km/litre

Jetta 2.0 L Diesel

Jetta TDI 2.0 Trendline & Comfortline M/T

Engine type

4-Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine

Max. Power output

81KW (110PS) @ 4200rpm

Max. Torque

250 Nm @1500-2500 rpm

Transmission

5-speed manual gearbox

Standard Features

Exterior

•16-inch “Toronto” alloy wheels with 205/55 R 16 tyres •Colour-keyed door mirror housings and door handles •Door mirrors with integral turn signals •Halogen main headlings and turn signals under one clear glass cover •Galvanised body •Radiator grille and frame in chrome •Tail lights with LED technology •Colour-keyed bumpers and rubbing strips •Green-tinted, heat-insulating windows •Chrome trim on side windows.

Interior

• “Vienna” leather seat upholstery •AC vents at rear •Storage compartents with lid on headlining •“Anthracite” Metallic inserts for instruments panel, centre console and door panel trim •Driver’s seat height adjustments •Lockable, illuminated glove compartment with cooling facility •Asymmetrically split-folding backrest Front center armrest with storage compartment • •Deluxe sports seats at front •Electrically adjustable lumbar support for front seats. •Rear center armrest.

Safety

• 8 Airbags • Safety- optimized front head restraints • Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) • Electronic stabilization programmed (ESP) •Electronic immobilizer •Fog lights • “Plus” anti-theft warning system. •Traction control system (ASR)

Comfort

• “Climatronic” air conditioner with 2-zone temperature control •Multi-function display • Electric windows at front and rear •Central locking with radio remote control •Electro-mechanical power assisted steering •2 reading lights at front •Electrically adjustable, retractable and heated door mirrors •Luggage compartments lid with automatic opening mechanism •Steering column with height and rake adjustments. •Cruise control • RCD510 touch screen audio system with MP3 player, 6 CD changer, 10 Loudspeakers & built-in SD card •Leather-covered multi-function steering wheel with operating facility for display and audio system •Light and sight package: automatic driving light control with “coming home” and “leaving home” function, automatically dimming rear view mirror, 2 light in front footwell, • Rain sensor • “Plus” multi-function display.

Colours Available

•Candy White •Blue Graphite Pearl •Reflex Sliver Metallic •Heaven Blue Metallic •Deep Black Pearl •Shadow Blue Metallic

Fuel efficiency: 19.53 Km/litre

Number of Volkswagen dealerships: 43 dealerships across 36 cities

The new engines make both the VWs eligible for chief Indian metros
Attached Images

OHC VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 15:52   #138
BHPian

^^ I second imp!'s opinion.

Unless 'AT' becomes the big deciding factor (which it does in many cases, in this price bracket), Passat makes so much more sense.

It is a far better car, with a far better engine (as compared to the Accord's).

The Petrol FE of the TSi Passat would be atleast 150 % (if not more) of the Accord's.

One can argue on 'parts' and 'maintenance', but for a new car it should not be a bother.

Not to forget the Accord loses its 'used car value' like no one's business.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 16:19   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Somebody I know intends to buy a car in this price range pretty shortly.

So here is his question.

Consider that the Honda Accord now costs 23 lacs (this is a corporate registration) and has everything in it, including AT. And a VERY comfortable rear seat.

Now consider that this person can buy a VW Passat for 23L too. On road corporate reg.
BUT the VW has no AT, only MT.

What would you buy and why?

P.S. The Superb is not an option.
not that i have done a complete detailed comparison but here is my say.

1. VW Passat is truly, unbelievably, astonishing on the inside. the interiors are of the very best quality, once inside-the feel is unforgettable.

2. 1.8 TSI motor, well as everyone has said, its a Gem.

3. The rear seat comfort should not be an issue in this car.

4. The car has niche value to it, its still rare, and will certainly get some heads turning.

5. I believe the car comes with 6 speed manual transmission, A/T DSG would've been certainly out of the world, but take my word VW gears are truly delightful and a true enthusiast will certainly appreciate it.

6. Add to it loads of extra features like xenon projector lamps, 8 airbags and on and on, there is absolutely no going back to HONDA.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 1st April 2010 at 16:21.
aviral2122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 16:19   #140
Team-BHP Support

Folks my question still remains un-answered.
Where is the Jetta Petrol?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 18:10   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks my question still remains un-answered.
Where is the Jetta Petrol?
My question is that if the the difference between the Petrol and Diesel Passat is 5 lakhs, then should the petrol Jetta be costing around 9 lakhs. If that is true or if VW positions it that way it can kill the city, corrolla, cruze and the civic
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 19:04   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
My question is that if the the difference between the Petrol and Diesel Passat is 5 lakhs, then should the petrol Jetta be costing around 9 lakhs. If that is true or if VW positions it that way it can kill the city, corrolla, cruze and the civic
If not 9, we should expect it some where around 12. There may be two options then:

- Either dont bring the Petrol Jetta itself (which may not happen)
- Or bring it to a price below Laura TSI. This remains to be seen, if they would be willing to do this.

Else it becomes only a TSI crowd in the same price range.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:54   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

With this launch, have VW discontinued the Passat 2.0 CRDI DSG, and Jetta 1.6 Petrol? And the notion that VW has slashed the price for Passat is slightly misleading. They've launched a MT petrol version, which is around 5L cheaper than the DSG 2.0L diesel. I am not sure if that can be considered as a price cut.

I reckon VW is spot on with the pricing this time - offering a MT 1.8L Passat around the same range of Superb 1.8L DSG. With this they managed to cleverly build a gap -similar to how they market the two brands in other markets. I consider this as a brilliant move by the VW thinktank!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:27   #144
BHPian

The funny thing is that with the Superb Manual transmission being offered as well, there is a lot of competition within the group; BUT, given the same engine, the VW's better build quality will always lure me to them, even at a slight premium.
I really hope that Audi decides to start offering MT A4's. This will really throw the entire luxury market wide open. If I had that kind of money for a car, I'd be willing to wait 6 months for a manual transmission 2.0TFSI or the 3.2VFSI
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
This is the height of wishful thinking. Remember that VW only recently discontinued a 1.6 petrol Jetta that cost more than the 1.8 petrol Civic or Altis. Now if they're going to introduce a 1.8 petrol Jetta, with a turbocharger, there's no chance of undercutting the Civic and Altis. I'd expect it to be priced very similarly to the Laura TSI. In fact, that may be the reason the Jetta TSI wont happen, as it would eat into the sales of the Laura TSI. However, I think there could be a niche for a Jetta TSI with DSG for about 15L~17L (depending on trim levels).
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:11   #146
Senior - BHPian

Now will the Passat become more reliable as it doesnt have the DSG anymore?
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:20   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

I am quite surprised with amount negative publicity gathered by the DSG box. It is one of the most raved technologies worldwide. With all the sentiments around manual transmission, I guess it’s a step backward by the VW group – especially in this segment. I am sure there will be a lot out there who will appreciate the VW DSG box and paddle shifts.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:28   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am quite surprised with amount negative publicity gathered by the DSG box. It is one of the most raved technologies worldwide. With all the sentiments around manual transmission, I guess it’s a step backward by the VW group – especially in this segment. I am sure there will be a lot out there who will appreciate the VW DSG box and paddle shifts.
I do agree about what you mention, but to that in a positive spirit, you get a continuous spectrum of offerings in the 10-20L range, which many folks can now aspire. Add to it the Jetta and the Yeti, and the stage is complete.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am quite surprised with amount negative publicity gathered by the DSG box.
I think it is precisely this reason that VW has taken it out. They would want to avoid any reliability issues, and end up being compared with Skoda.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:59   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I do agree about what you mention, but to that in a positive spirit, you get a continuous spectrum of offerings in the 10-20L range, which many folks can now aspire. Add to it the Jetta and the Yeti, and the stage is complete.
Agree with that. But I hope they bring the AT options at a later stage, and complete the spectrum of offerings.
And the wishful thinking is that soon they offer the 1.8 TSI in Jetta Comfortline!