Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 173 33.86%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 338 66.14%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th March 2010, 15:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

For those who still think about spare parts costs. Enquire the price of a diesel filter on the DDis. Compare that with the same on the TDCi.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 16:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Filter costs :

1) Fiesta TDCI : Rs 913 /-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1483167

2) Swift VDi : Rs 1046 /-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1605051 (Finally Got My Dream Diesel (Swift Vdi).)

Prices of other components are also comparable - see for example the oil filter.

I voted for the Figo given it's VFM proposition.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th March 2010 at 16:12.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 17:06   #63
BHPian

Just got back after a test drive of the Figo. For people who can think out of the box, Figo it is. Decent performance + braking + handling. Space wise both are almost the same. But Titanium at 5.8L On Road is amazing VFM.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 20:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Filter costs :

1) Fiesta TDCI : Rs 913 /-

2) Swift VDi : Rs 1046 /-
While i was trying to buy a Ritz Ldi i spoke to the service manager and he told me Rs.1800 for the diesel filter. He said that since it was that costly some owners change it only at 20K where as his recommendation was that i should try to change it every 10K. I'm not sure who is right. Cant belive there would be that much difference in cost between Swift and Ritz since the engine is the same.

All said and done. THe biggest Challenge for Ford is to get out of this "Costly to maintain" image. I'm not sure how they can do it. But the time they take to figure a way and succeed will be the time competition gets to juice their customers a little more.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 21:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas
i spoke to the service manager and he told me Rs.1800 for the diesel filter.
Don't know about Tvm, but in Chennai, most MASS' have the price of major parts (incl. filter) of their cars listed on a board in the reception area. Easy & dependable reference than quoting hearsay or depending on sites like carwale.com
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 21:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Who'd wait 6 months for a Swift when you can have a Figo so soon.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 14:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) How can one conclude that ? Figo is nothing but old Fiesta, and its crash rating are similar to what Swift has scored.
And Figo is yet to prove itself here.
The fit and finish might be better in Figo, but I dont think that as far as safety goes, Swift has major disadvantage.
Look at the Swift D wheels - way thinner. that's a major disadvantage to me
Quote:
Above that, the Figo is based on older platform, not the latest.
The car is all new.Platform does not matter (Swift is old too!) so long as it delivers what an Indian customer wants. This argument is one of the best example of hyperbole I have recently come across.

Quote:
2) This is Ford's own engine, where as the diesel in Swift if from Fiat. Suzuki did pay a lot of money for license. 1.4 has less turbo lag, but is not better IMO. The overall performance and driving pleasure just because of engine would be more in Swift.
From the figures we have, IMO, Swift is better performer with equal or better FE and equal safety.
Drive the cars and decide for yourself. Ford's own engine is better than Suzuki's for which they have paid money because they could'nt develop it themselves . I still remember my TD experience of driving the Fiesta diesel. I went for a petrol because I was restricted by budget.

Quote:
3) We are not aware of the spare parts price of Figo.
Ten years down the line, you will.And most Figos will have nice ownership threads on Team-bhp.There is a determined initiative inside Ford to lower the cost of ownership in India. Ford is a very old and experienced campaigner. Once they make up their mind to get their act together, they will. They stand a high chance of succeeding because the Fiesta diesel has wowed many with the balanced performance and mileage. The Swift does not come close on the driving experience to any Ford produced so far in India.There is no exclusivity associated with owning one. It has become so common, you just end up buying part of a herd. Enough about Maruti's overkilled A.S.S. That is such a boring topic on team-bhp. Can't you put forth an argument with fresh perspective?
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 15:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well not sure if my opinion would make any change in the mindset.. Just now back from a china trip. One thing I noticed was they do not have small cars at all as I came to know from my friend that they only buy huge cars in China. but the only small car one could find was the Global Fiesta..
Addtionally, all the taxis that was used in China was either SX4 or if not few Swift that was the only place on could see the Suzuki cars..

For all those who support Suzuki's was wondering if people see the cars being driven only as taxis make any change in the mindset.. Not to mention, when I had been to bangkok all the taxis there are Toyota Corrolla...

The reason I mentioned this was when you go to these places and mention that you own a SX4 or for that matter any Suzuki car one would only see as you have brought a taxi brand, just like how the perception of people buying Indica is here.

Last edited by xingamazon : 15th March 2010 at 15:02.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 16:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well not sure if my opinion would make any change in the mindset.. Just now back from a china trip. One thing I noticed was they do not have small cars at all as I came to know from my friend that they only buy huge cars in China. but the only small car one could find was the Global Fiesta..
Addtionally, all the taxis that was used in China was either SX4 or if not few Swift that was the only place on could see the Suzuki cars..
That is surprising. I have been to China several times across multiple provinces (Beijing, Shanghai, Gaungdong, Jinan and Nanjing). I have hardly seen SX4s. The only SX4s I have seen are the hatch backs. Swifts are there but again not in great numbers. In shanghai almost all Taxis are VW (Santana). In Beijing most of them are Hyundais (Sonata and Elantra) and VWs. Could you please tell me in which province you were where you found SX4s as taxis?
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 22:37   #70

Default Taxis in Shanghai are all VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
That is surprising. I have been to China several times across multiple provinces (Beijing, Shanghai, Gaungdong, Jinan and Nanjing). I have hardly seen SX4s. The only SX4s I have seen are the hatch backs. Swifts are there but again not in great numbers. In shanghai almost all Taxis are VW (Santana). In Beijing most of them are Hyundais (Sonata and Elantra) and VWs. Could you please tell me in which province you were where you found SX4s as taxis?
+1. I am in Shanghai right now and I can tell you all Taxis (well atleast 99%) are VW.
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 09:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

I could see lot of advertisement given by Ford in Figo. Seems to be they are really serious abt their car.

Hate the Red color dash. This seems to be signature dash for Ford.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

if one were to hesitate to buy a car on account of "taxi image" - then one would probably even hesitate to buy a beemer or merc because in Germany, Belgium, Italy and other Western European countries there are an appreciable number of these cars being used as taxis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
For all those who support Suzuki's was wondering if people see the cars being driven only as taxis make any change in the mindset.. Not to mention, when I had been to bangkok all the taxis there are Toyota Corrolla...

The reason I mentioned this was when you go to these places and mention that you own a SX4 or for that matter any Suzuki car one would only see as you have brought a taxi brand, just like how the perception of people buying Indica is here.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 11:07   #73
BHPian

I test drove the FIGO on Friday.
Dont know about old or new platform, but Swift's interior to me are much more refined and well put together than FIGO's. Figo is definitely bigger and rear seat was very very comfortable with enormous leg room.You feel very "roomy" and "airy" inside FIGO unlike Swift. Boot space is excellant in FIGO.

Vehicle I tried was a TDCI one, and it was good. It was not as refined as Swift diesel or petrol but good enough for the price. And yes I too did not find any turbo lag though on higher RPMs you feel that engine is much more comfortable pulling the vehicle than lower RPMs.

FIGO is tight handler. It is very responsive at corner and refuse to bend a bit. Also it has very predictable handling as good as Swift. But, All said, Swift still remains more fun to handle at corner because of the its gliding effect. I thought FIGO is plain tight handler and Swift has that swing/gliding (jhol in hindi) at the corner that makes it much more fun to drive.

Anyway IMO, FIGO is much more practicle car than Swift. But to me Swift is more refined and more fun to drive.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 19:15   #74
BHPian

The Swift was a car which turned the hatchback market upside down by gaining a near monopoly. It was the car which set the standards, and the benchmark. This was more than 5 years ago. The Ford Figo (which to me looks like a dead frog upfront) is a new entrant and as logic prevails, they will obviously try to better the competition. So without doubt, the Figo will be the better of the two when features are considered. I have not driven the Figo so will jump to the conclusion that Swift is the better simply because its got more power and torque. But I have driven a Swift, and the smile I get while cruising down the highway gets wider and wider. In fact the smile never ends till I reach my destination. The Swift diesel is a true cracker and mile cruncher to the core!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 12:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have voted for Figo, for better space, rattle-free interiors, better ride & linear power delivery of the TDCI engine. Further, these days, I drive on the highways @ ~ 90 kmph. Hence do not need a Swift VDI.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote