Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 173 33.86%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 338 66.14%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th March 2010, 14:18   #76
BHPian

SWIFT - After driving 5k kms i haven't had any rattles.
Swift with better wheels (probably with 185 or 190), will defenilety handle better. Engine is very peppy excellent for long drives.
More over any one looking for some good ICE will eventually upgrade from stocks. So according to me VDI ABS makes terrific sense over the ford figo.
raghavanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 18:56   #77
BHPian

Voted for Figo. I know the value of the 1.4 TDCi. It is way way better than anything in the market right now. That said, the Swift is a good car. It's just that the Figo is a better overall package for the majority. Remember the majority is not an enthusiast. And even for the enthusiast, the Figo has plenty to offer with the gearbox and the handling. It is not all about bhp and top speed. That's why it _should_ be a winner. Whether it _will_ be is not something I can tell. Ford have done what they could and priced it fairly right. It is the only car,save the Vista that can compete on price and space and other things with the Swift. The Indian buyer's mentality is always the biggest hurdle. Only divine grace can help a car succeed against it !!
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 19:05   #78
BHPian

I have voted for Figo, rattle-free interiors, good space, class leading boot, excellent ride & handling, super suspension setup and excellent throttle response at low rpm.

Overall a value for money product , this combination will be a sure hit, lets wait for a quarter to validate the customer acceptance of this car.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:14   #79
BHPian

after reading all the reviews and being an Swift VDI owner for 15 months i have noticed few points.

Space -
FIGO has more rear seat space and amazing Boot space, well i DRIVE the car and i hardly felt the need of large boot space. Had to drop my idea of sub woofer

Value -
FIGO is a beautiful package for money. I just loved the features of TITANIUM segment. Bad resale and maintainable value gets her down

Engine -
DDiS has proved its performance even after 80,000 kms. FIGO, not sure.
DDiS is very much REFINED, and less VIBRATIONS that FIGO. i am not a TDCI fan definitely.

FE -
Swift DDiS for sure. i get not less than 17 kmpl in city and 21 on highways with AC and sporty driving. Highest mileage i have recorded is 26

Driving Experience -
Swift again. FIGO has predicable response like Swift, it cheats us in cornering.
Swift reminds its Turbo-lag inside city everyday, but doesnt matter in a bumper to bumper traffic. i love to have FIGO to drive inside bangalore city SWIFT is a rocket on highways anyDAY. its a pleasure.

Comfort -
SWIFT has few rattling issues, though it can be fixed easily, it looses its hands down

Safety features-
Long live FIGO within 6L

Style -
FIGO !!!!!? NO WAYS It doesnt look like a modern car

Did i miss out any important feature? well, my wife was asking to change the car if she gets the car lease policy. SO, if not SWIFT VDI, what else? well, again a SWIFT VDI

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th April 2010 at 19:25.
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 19:18   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So, just got off the phone with my cousin brother (same dude who organises the Blind Man Car Rallies). Sharing it, since this is the typical perception of Ford and to illustrate the gravity of the situation.

He wants to buy a sub 6 lakh rupee diesel car (for the wife) and asked for my recommendation. I recommended the Figo diesel, to which he replied "Swift or Ritz?". Between the two, I told him the Ritz is better (he's big on practicality), yet I asked him why he was unwilling to consider the Figo. His response:

NOTE : He is an existing Ford Ikon 1.6 owner
- Their parts are too expensive
- I'm not happy with the Ikon's reliability
- The after-sales SUCKS!

On the other hand, he also has a WagonR duo and is extremely happy with the Maruti ownership experience. His garage includes a Hyundai (Santro), Tata (Indigo), Toyota (Innova) and some commercial vehicles, so he does know what he's talking about.

"Can't go wrong with a Maruti" is what he says.

Well, really can't argue with that, can we? Is Ford listening? The way you messed up with the Ikons & Mondeos, you better make up now.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 21:18   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

"Can't go wrong with a Maruti" is what he says.

Well, really can't argue with that, can we? Is Ford listening? The way you messed up with the Ikons & Mondeos, you better make up now.
very well say ,GTO . In my opinion , after sale service is very important aspect while considering any car. Your car ,Unlike other gadget or appliance , is a long term relationship with your dealer and maruti *** is superb in this . Due to this ,despite some shortcoming in their products , Maruti is leading vehicle maker in India.
sanman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 15:21   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
very well say ,GTO . In my opinion , after sale service is very important aspect while considering any car. Your car ,Unlike other gadget or appliance , is a long term relationship with your dealer and maruti *** is superb in this . Due to this ,despite some shortcoming in their products , Maruti is leading vehicle maker in India.
Truly. I mean, hats off to Maruti to sell the MOST cars in India, yet keep their customers the HAPPIEST. It's an uphill task to please 20X the customers as say, a Skoda who can't even manage to keep a fraction happy.

My cousin has owned several brands; yet, when its time to upgrade, he compares different cars within the same Maruti showroom. Says a whole lot.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 14:53   #83
BHPian

I'm sure this time Ford is very serious with Figo and its A$$, but its a daunting task to reach the highest of Maruti.

Hyundai had achieved good reputation within short span for what Maruti had taken 25y grueling years.
Its good to see Hyundai being recognized by Honda as well.
Praveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:14   #84
BHPian

agreed !! the choices which your brother had in mind were the best of hash diesels available today within 6 lakh. other than rattling problems with Swift and Ritz, they are charm. Rattling can be fixed in no time yaar, The quality of plastics used in figo interiors are not d best as well.

I already read few issues with FIGO people encountered. Rattling one among them.
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

But Figo seems to be most accepted car looking at the number of cars I find on the road in Coimbatore and even in Palakkad (where there is no Ford showroom/service centre), compared to Punto, Polo or even Beat.

But beating Maruti should be a totally different ball game
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:36   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
Hyundai had achieved good reputation within short span for what Maruti had taken 25y grueling years.
Absolute nonsense! Do you think Maruti achieved their reputation today only? They earned it years back - from the day one, I can say. What, if they started functioning here 25 years back?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 12:55   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Absolute nonsense! Do you think Maruti achieved their reputation today only? They earned it years back - from the day one, I can say. What, if they started functioning here 25 years back?
Your statement is contradicting. I mean the same.
But remember 25y back only Premimer & Ambassdor were the only major players. But now, its completely different.
Praveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 00:14   #88
BHPian

Default My take

Interiors: Figo

Steering: Figo

Space: Figo

Handling: Figo (talking only about stock wheels & tyres, because the average buyer cannot spend 30k on upgrading to alloys and 185/195 tyres)

Ride: Figo

Brakes: Figo

Pedals position: Figo

Visibility: Figo

Fun to drive feel: Figo

Passenger comfort: Figo

City driving: Figo

Highway driving: Swift

Driving position: Swift

Driver comfort: Swift

AC: Swift

Looks and colors: Swift

Image: Swift

Fuel Efficiency: Swift

A.S.S: Swift

Reliability: Swift

Resale value: Swift

To me, Swift is the winner because the last four factors are very important as they affect the wallet.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 10:55   #89
BHPian

Both swift and figo will sell well. With the numbers of new figo seen in kerala roads i think eventhough it wont beat the swift, it ll surely affect the i20 diesel, the vw polo and punto. But the swift diesel numbers will fall.

Saw a white figo on the highway with wide tyres, black alloys and blacked out headlamps. Looked cool. Looks like a swift killer.Almost!!
sandygordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 11:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
AC: Swift
Huh? While I haven't been in a Figo yet, just about every review I have seen (both on TBHP and in the car magazines) has praised the Figo's AC as best in class. Unless you mean the Figo's AC is too cold!
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote