Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th May 2010, 00:48   #76
BHPian

Ugly cars sell perfectly fine in India, the Hyundai Santro being a prime example.
Car Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 01:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
First opinion, something tells me the price is not gonna be as challenging or shocking as the Figo / Beat pricing.
Secondly, have an opinion its a car produced mainly with the exports in mind, dont think they will be bothered much about the internal demand.
Thirdly, come on they spend $ 1 billion, I would expect Carlos Ghosn to come for the opening. What else are the CEOs for than such press takings.
This just the start of commercial production.Expect Ghosn to be there for the pan-india launch.What is the break up of exports and domestic sales going to be like?I am sure they are concentrating more on domestic sales.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:07   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Figo/Swift watch out.

50k for booking? Isn't that too much? The diesel option looks great.

Car_Fan: ugly but should be practical, built quality, some basic accessories and VFM with a diesel engine.

Last edited by jkdas : 25th May 2010 at 09:10.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:24   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

For some, the car may look ugly, but to me the freshness appeals a lot !

I dont mind seeing some new designs even if it looks bad or ugly !

The nissan website is not yet updated. The vehicles portfolio shows only 3 of their products, Teana, X-Trail and 370Z !

Nissan - Vehicles

And a search in google for "Nissan india website" didnt even pull up the website ! Nissan, watch out!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 10:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The other important aspect of the new Nissan Micra is that from the very beginning, more than 85% of its parts are procured through local vendors (96 in total) and 50% of them are located within Chennai.
I somehow feel this localization is catching up as a trend with new entrants forced to declare they have more localization just to make sure the public is interested in thier car.

With players like Ford and Fiat who have been entrants taking this long to achive around 80% localization, dont think Nissan would be able to do the same right from day one, I seriously doubt this message of thiers. 85% part localization is only 96 supplier, meaning they only have 112 suppliers all together for making a car?? Something to be thought upon.

I am sure they will adopt the next gimmick once they start selling (one which have been used by all manufacturers)
On the first month they will declare the booking has shot up and waiting period is 4 months now..

Looks like for any new entrant in the market these have become a standard mantra.
1, much amount of localization
2, waiting period of 4 month, 5 , 6 month..

Come on give me a break... Think of some other strategies.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 10:19   #81
BHPian

Ugly or not ( to some), this car will sell, and I'm willing to bet that it will sell in spades.
At least Nissan has the cojones to bring a localised car in WITH most of the kit you get in international versions from the early looks of it. Start/ Stop button alone is something brag-worthy for this segment.
Add Japanese engineering and quality, and it will give the Hyundais a run for their money.
The over-hyped Germans wont even be in the equation, but the value proposition of the Nissan's other Chennai-mate (Ford) will keep it in the reckoning. A quick peruse of the "test drives and initial ownership" thread shows more Figos than anything else.

Last edited by crackingride : 25th May 2010 at 10:21.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:10   #82
BHPian

Looks are indeed subjective but I like the design. Its refreshing. Although from the back it looks a bit like the alto IMO.
I don't think Micra will do huge numbers. Mainly because of the consumer's apprehension about the A.S.S and poor dealer network. You need time for the co-ordination between dealers and the manufacturers to fall in place, without which even a brilliant product might be quite a pain.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:28   #83
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The looks are more girly. Looks like "Why should boys have the fun" version for the cars.

But seriously, IMHO, if the engine is good, peppy and most importantly if it could stretch a litre (i read in some other thread earlier that could do 25 kms to a litre of petrol) + if a decent diesel (Hammerhead saw a dCi), even a slight premium over the i10 would still be fine.

EDIT: I spotted the "dCi" in post #20.

Last edited by MAS : 25th May 2010 at 13:32.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:56   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

No updates guys? No pics?

Nissan Micra

The site also says Micra Coming Soon!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For some, the car may look ugly, but to me the freshness appeals a lot !

I dont mind seeing some new designs even if it looks bad or ugly !
OT : you are telling as if , " I was to see new ladies (new designs ) even though they are ugly ". .

Last edited by black12rr : 25th May 2010 at 14:42.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:42   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Ugly or not ( to some), this car will sell, and I'm willing to bet that it will sell in spades.
At least Nissan has the cojones to bring a localised car in WITH most of the kit you get in international versions from the early looks of it. Start/ Stop button alone is something brag-worthy for this segment.
Add Japanese engineering and quality, and it will give the Hyundais a run for their money.
The over-hyped Germans wont even be in the equation, but the value proposition of the Nissan's other Chennai-mate (Ford) will keep it in the reckoning. A quick peruse of the "test drives and initial ownership" thread shows more Figos than anything else.
Brother, Germans are playing smart.

Renault, Nissan Motor and Daimler unveiled a strategic partnership to share small-car technology and power trains, in a move that comes as automakers are rapidly joining forces to cut costs.
Source: The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:52   #87
BHPian

High localisation of new cars coming in is definitely not a gimmick. Its just that they dont have any choice but to localise as VFM is the need of the hour. And with a high level of foreign content in cars they just cannot expect to keep the car priced at competitive levels.
But of course everyone has a different perspective on VFM depending on the segment you are targeting. However for 80% of indians VFM low price--high features indicates a good VFM which can only be achieved with high localisation and good design.

Regarding the Micra itself i will reserve my opinion till the car gets launched. Its very difficult to guess from the pics if its a Alto-Spark-i10 sized car or a Figo-Punto-i20 sized car.
coldice4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 00:40   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Regarding the Micra itself i will reserve my opinion till the car gets launched. Its very difficult to guess from the pics if its a Alto-Spark-i10 sized car or a Figo-Punto-i20 sized car.
Micra is almost all equal in size with Swift. PFB the comparision of dimensions between Micra and Swift.
Attached Images

vikram.vns is offline   Reply With Quote