Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th April 2010, 13:10   #241
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking overall upgrade of the family car... much better than existing version. WagonR embossed on the chrome strip at the back also looks good. In my opinion it will be good buy for those in Rs.3.5-4.5 range.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:43   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Definitely better than current WagonR. Thanks sidindica for sharing the pictures. I had been told by couple of WagonR owners that vehicle is not stable when it is above 100 kmph. Is this issue taken care in the new vehicle or will it be same in the new one as well?

The other weired thing I heard is Alto is better than WagonR in handling at high speeds (the person who told this is an amateur).

Please through some light on both the queries.
The new WagonR comes with an all new monocoque. The engine and suspension are now mounted on a separate sub-frame. The suspension is itself completely different - It features L-shaped lower arms as opposed to the normal I beams on the present model. This is the same car doing duty in Japan. So if its good enough for them, then its handling should be good enough for us but Maruti will make it softer to take on our roads. The end result will definitely be a million times better but for the exact result, wait for T-BHP's review.

@romeomidhun - It bears some resemblance to the Skoda yeti but overall, looks much better than the outgoing model.

Last edited by designersf : 14th April 2010 at 14:46.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:49   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
The new WagonR comes with an all new monocoque. The engine and suspension are now mounted on a separate sub-frame. The suspension is itself completely different - It features L-shaped lower arms as opposed to the normal I beams on the present model. This is the same car doing duty in Japan. So if its good enough for them, then its handling should be good enough for us but Maruti will make it softer to take on our roads. The end result will definitely be a million times better but for the exact result, wait for T-BHP's review.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I am eagerly waiting for the T-BHP's review.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:54   #244
BHPian

This is a very nice upgrade. Actually, it looks very fresh, at the same time, has the character of the older model Surely it is gonna sell like hot cakes! I read the width is going to be the same old 1495mm( i guess so). Is it? so the rear seat will be able to accomodate strictly 2 persons i guess! :-(
Old 14th April 2010, 17:04   #245
Senior - BHPian

Guys ... Find more details on

2010 Wagon R details revealed! - Motoroids.com

As i said earlier it is coming with 1.0 K series engine. Interesting to see what price Maruti offers seeing the huge response for Ford Figo. I guess it will be between 3-4 lacs for base to top end models.

Looks better than existing Wagon R IMO
Old 14th April 2010, 17:10   #246
Senior - BHPian

The pics taken from close angle are actually zoomed in my camera and then taken. I was at a bit of a distance. The car definitely looked taller and wider, but I hate that front end. Looks too much like the new estilo.

Now coming to the engine part-Now wouldn't it be foolish to compare it with the 13 year old design of the santro's motor?

The quoted torque of 90nm and at a high rpm (cannot recall how much), made worse by a 3 cylinder motor (on paper at least), wouldn't it mean frequent downshifts in city and already the K10M is infamous for low rpm jerks.
When the person directed his cam towards my santro, my car was a slow speed and I didn't notice that it was in 3rd. The car pulled up cleanly and just in time before he notices me taking another shot of the front end, I just ran away in seconds.
Just my opinion, I would still rate the santro motor as the best in the 1.0-1.1 L engines. It produces inadvertent wheelspins and has tremendous powerband throughout its rev range.

lets see how the new wagon delivers in this crucial front.
The car was photographed at aravalli hills IIRC, between Mehrauli-Gurgaon golf course road, I was driving pretty fast and thankfully, there was minimal traffic behind and I had to screech the car to the halt. I zoomed my cam to click the side and rear pic, and I had gone pretty far off.
Moments later, i had to reverse and get a front angle shot, while this crew in their indica takes out another shooting camera and the man, already placing his camera on the road, tries to shoot my car and I give him a thumbs up and just run away. I think that it was just a matter of luck that I took an earlier left turn than the planned one which comes later.

Last edited by sidindica : 14th April 2010 at 17:17.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:24   #247
BHPian

Somehow I am Not convinced this is a Good approach Maruti Suzuki is adopting here... When Every manufacturer is coming up better stylized products, doing a major Engineering change doesn't really add-on to the brand of Maruti. If it wanted to bring a chnage in the product, it should have brought on all new Model-B which is present in their international market. Looking at what Hyundais, Tatas, Fords & GMs are doing, this seems inadequate effort from Maruti.

All said and done it seems like its earlier avataar even this is going to be a major Hit for Maruti but it wont stop Maruti from gradually sliding lower in the consumer's mindspace.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:39   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The car definitely looked taller and wider, but I hate that front end. Looks too much like the new estilo.
I totally agree with you, Sid. Now we have not one, but two Estilo s!!
What would be the fate of the Estilo once the new Wagon -R Duo is launched? First, the Estilo would already have lost its USP about looks, what with the new Wagon -R sporting similar looks.Secondly, no dual fuel option, meaning losing lot of customers.IMO the Estilo's sale would be affected.
Old 15th April 2010, 10:15   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
I totally agree with you, Sid. Now we have not one, but two Estilo s!!
What would be the fate of the Estilo once the new Wagon -R Duo is launched? First, the Estilo would already have lost its USP about looks, what with the new Wagon -R sporting similar looks.Secondly, no dual fuel option, meaning losing lot of customers.IMO the Estilo's sale would be affected.
Estilo has a USP of good, funky interiors. I always liked the interiors of Estilo than any other Maruti. Looks quite good & sporty
Old 15th April 2010, 10:19   #250
SCH
BHPian

Default What would be the fate of the Estilo once the new Wagon -R Duo is launched?

For sure the Estilo's sales would take a dip once the new Wagon R is launched in the market. As thay both would sport the same engine. and Wagon R is more spacious than the Estilo. Although it would also depend on the price difference between both the Cars.

Though I am sure Wagon R would be priced higher then Estilo......
Old 15th April 2010, 10:40   #251
BHPian

As part of the evolution in market, even Maruti is forced to do some facial changes to their existing cars, agreed !

But here the only difference what I felt is the dash and the steering wheel, else all the parts are looking somewhat similar to the older ones.

What our guys will think, if Maruti will stop estillo and will launch the old zen again?

See Marginal changes if done only to compete with the new market.

But as per my recommendation and my view, Maruti needs to come up with some new good models with unbeatable features.

Anyway if the price factor will not change. WagonR will still hold the roads in counts.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:09   #252
Senior - BHPian

Today is April 15, and the official website is still the same.

I have not gone through all the comments, but am I the only one to think that the boot space has been chopped off??

One of the advantages of the wagR was its huge boot space - I recently carried four commercial LPG cylinders (for a family function, with all the required precautions and the rear seat folded down to provide for more crumple space) and about 400 KG of provisions, WITHOUT the rear seat folded down.

Which other hatch can do this?
Old 15th April 2010, 11:21   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Though I am sure Wagon R would be priced higher then Estilo......
Exactly. IMO , the Wagon-R , with its generous interior space , superior K- series engine , the suspension modifications plus the safety and comfort features , would be pitched against the likes of the i10 and the Beat. The Estilo might be positioned a notch below.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:02   #254
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
More details:

"Powered by the new generation K-series (K-10B) engine,
and superior colling due to the new HVAC design."
Anybody has any experience that whether in city drive any strain or lag is felt on the KB10 engine when AC is switched on. I mean is there a loss in power. (As there is no lossof power in the Santro.) As the same engine is prevalent in the A-Star and Estilo. Also how would cooling be superior with the new HVAC design.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:26   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Today is April 15, and the official website is still the same.

I have not gone through all the comments, but am I the only one to think that the boot space has been chopped off??

One of the advantages of the wagR was its huge boot space - I recently carried four commercial LPG cylinders (for a family function, with all the required precautions and the rear seat folded down to provide for more crumple space) and about 400 KG of provisions, WITHOUT the rear seat folded down.

Which other hatch can do this?
It is a common perception that the reduction in the width of the C-pillar/absence of the rear quarter glass equates to lesser boot space. Here, Maruti have increased the length of the rear window and the overall length is more as well. So definitely, the boot in this is bigger. The present WagonRs boot is 228L while the new would definitely have a similar sized boot if not bigger
Closed Thread