Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th January 2006, 04:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indigo LWB look like the next Govt car to replace the Amby. The ministers had their hopes up to high for the Skoda but I guess they will be better off in this with ample more leg room. And best part is..It's Made in INDIA!

Last edited by Sahil : 24th January 2006 at 04:47.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 06:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
i saw the LWB indigo in feb issue of ACI and was surpeised to see the legroom which is in league of s-class rather than any of small cars,.....................AMAZING...........isnt it
legroom is important only upto a certain lever after which is becomes just empty space
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

TATA should first sort out its niggling problems and quality issues before movin on to other rarefied segments!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
legroom is important only upto a certain lever after which is becomes just empty space
Legroom is one thing, comfort is another. Did you know that the Sonata has more legroom then an Optra but Optra is the most comfortable car in the country. (Check OD, All Indian Cars evaluated)

Quote:
2006 the indigo LWB will be equipped with a common rail head.
Thats more important right now then DVD player, etc.

Secondly the LWB is only longer with a bigger wheelbase but same tyres and same width??

Quote:
Whoa...Watch out Accent, esteem,ikon. If only they upped the quality of parts..
Its going to priced at Rs. 8Lacs and at that price it will be competing with Optra/City which are miles ahead in quality. Lancer has rear AC.

Accent price means either the CRDi or the Tornado, and not the GLE

Isint the INDI Turbo faster due to its weight??

Quote:
The Indigo LWB look like the next Govt car to replace the Amby.
Our ministers are way to choosy at Rs. 8 Lacs they would prefer to but something more stylish rather then spacious. Thats why they prefer Skoda
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 01:11   #20

The newest Indigo XL will have a wheel base of 2650 mm which is an extra of 200 mm from what is currently rolled out. TATA has also displayed Indica Silhouette, a 3.5 litre concept car modelled on the formula lines, which is rumoured to be capable of doling out 330 PS. When it comes to having an eye for the future, few people can rival Ratan Tata's vision.
haljosgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 04:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be an excellent choice for private taxis operators where the customer can stretch out in the back while the operator enjoys low running costs.
I dont see a lot of private buyers going for this.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 11:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

umm, isnt this too speculative. Longer wheelbase yes. What else, we dunno. It always did seem a little disproportionate on the outside to me - esp the way the boot was 'stuck on'. Mebbe that was the main motivator.
The larger Marina could also be a pltform for a small on-road SUV!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 12:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Ref to the posts by Stratos and Steeroid that the LWB Indigo would be an overkill. One of the things that I have noticed in many cars in India is the depth of the seat. I have had an Indica, and have a Marina, and I have felt the need for more under-thigh support for the seats. I am not very tall, but I think this does make sitting a little more comfortable. More leg space itself doesnt mean much.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 14:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well, the least they can do is drop that DOHC petrol in the current Indigo/Marina. The current 8valve unit is simply reluctant to rev. It feels like its being held down by something heavy, when its pushed.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 18:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Ref to the posts by Stratos and Steeroid that the LWB Indigo would be an overkill. One of the things that I have noticed in many cars in India is the depth of the seat. I have had an Indica, and have a Marina, and I have felt the need for more under-thigh support for the seats. I am not very tall, but I think this does make sitting a little more comfortable. More leg space itself doesnt mean much.
Your observation is quite correct. The Indica rear seats are small, lacking thigh support. Hence long rides on rear seats are not comfortable at all. When I have to sit in an Indica cab on a long journey, I purposefully sit on the co-driver's seat. Probably, they wanted to create an "effect" of spaciousness. Bigger seats would make the leg space look smaller.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 19:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Well, the least they can do is drop that DOHC petrol in the current Indigo/Marina. The current 8valve unit is simply reluctant to rev. It feels like its being held down by something heavy, when its pushed.
DOHC in the current petrol Indigo and Marina?

It hasn't come out yet. The DOHC version is claimed to develop 100 odd horses.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 19:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

All they need to do with the Indigo is uprate the diesel (maybe DICOR it), sort out the gearbox, and spend a little more money on quality. No one wants a long wheelsbase Indigo now.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 19:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Your observation is quite correct. The Indica rear seats are small, lacking thigh support. Hence long rides on rear seats are not comfortable at all...
I think even the co-driver seat looks & feels small, though the co-driver seat is better than the rear bench.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 21:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
DOHC in the current petrol Indigo and Marina?

It hasn't come out yet. The DOHC version is claimed to develop 100 odd horses.
I know that it hasnt come out yet. The LWB was said to have that engine, hence I said that as they had already developed it, they might as well hurry up and offer it in the SWB Indigo.
Say, Tata hasnt given the Indigo a serious facelift as of yet, and I think one is seriously needed, along with revamped interiors and...err..a lot of other improvements. A complete reskin wouldnt be bad either.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 21:13   #30
sjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
All they need to do with the Indigo is uprate the diesel (maybe DICOR it), sort out the gearbox, and spend a little more money on quality.
Sorry my friend. I think its not as simple as 'spending a little more money on quality' that will help Tatas. Its getting them to think that quality matters a lot more and that making vehicles better than the Ambassadors or padminis or the Tata Estate (RIP) is not the new standard of quality to be flaunted before the Indian consumer.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote