Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th June 2006, 21:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs
Sorry my friend. I think its not as simple as 'spending a little more money on quality' that will help Tatas. Its getting them to think that quality matters a lot more and that making vehicles better than the Ambassadors or padminis or the Tata Estate (RIP) is not the new standard of quality to be flaunted before the Indian consumer.

Exactly. When they think quality matters more, they will spned more money on it. Which is exactly what I was saying in the first place.

The Tata Estate is a 15 year-old relic which is neither relevant nor worth discussing in this thread.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 22:20   #32
sjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Exactly. When they think quality matters more, they will spned more money on it. Which is exactly what I was saying in the first place.

The Tata Estate is a 15 year-old relic which is neither relevant nor worth discussing in this thread.
You are right. It is a relic. But for me it is alongwith the Ambassador and the Padmini a reminder of the ‘chalta hai’ attitude of Indian car manufacturers.

With Hindustan Motors and PAL we were left with no recourse since here were two companies fully exploiting the restrictive economic policies of the state that prevented fresh enterprise and allowed monopolies to milk the consumer with rotten products. But the Tatas made the monstrosity when the Govt finally allowed competition and many years after they Tatas) had displayed a Merc like Tatamobile at a spectacular show in Delhi. Tatas really let down the consumer and anything they have done since then (unless you want to exclude the Italian design of the Indica exteriors) has not made one change ones opinion.

The Tata Estate was Tata Motors statement on what they thought about quality and they stuck to their 'philosophy'.

Last edited by sjs : 16th June 2006 at 22:25.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 18:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I know that it hasnt come out yet. The LWB was said to have that engine, hence I said that as they had already developed it, they might as well hurry up and offer it in the SWB Indigo.
Say, Tata hasnt given the Indigo a serious facelift as of yet, and I think one is seriously needed, along with revamped interiors and...err..a lot of other improvements. A complete reskin wouldnt be bad either.
Complete reskin of the Indica/Indigo/Marina is on the way, as per published reports. Expected to be introduced in 2007. Of course all dealers will deny any such report for fear of losing sales of the current models.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote