Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th March 2010, 22:18   #286
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
I think there is compromise on quality in Nano in order to keep its price low. It is true that Nano is a small car, but I was always wondered how a price tag of about 1,22,000 was possible for a 'CAR.' Apart from the fire incidents, Nano also is too small and too light a car to survive accidents.
Still surprised to know that there still are people who do not consider it a Proper Car. Kill your prejudice and drive it for once ( if you haven't yet) and you will realize its capabilities. I am not saying that it can survive all accidents but then there is no car which has done so.

Come fire or anything, I stand my my NANO ( my Vikram).
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 06:36   #287
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of a incident happened in the past. One of my friends got a brand new car was driving home from the dealership. After couple of kms, some passers by told him about smoke coming from the back tires. He stopped the vehicle and his back tires were smoking. The dealer send the mechanic team to the spot and found that his handbrake was on. This was his first car and while delivering the vehicle the sales person, put the hand brake on, and my friend drove the car with handbrake on. These kind of mistakes happen especially if it is their first vehicle (graduating from a bike) and also dont have much driving experience.
Dont mistaken me, i am not saying that is the reason here, but rememered this incident while reading this news.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:01   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
This reminds me of a incident happened in the past. One of my friends got a brand new car was driving home from the dealership. After couple of kms, some passers by told him about smoke coming from the back tires. He stopped the vehicle and his back tires were smoking. The dealer send the mechanic team to the spot and found that his handbrake was on. This was his first car and while delivering the vehicle the sales person, put the hand brake on, and my friend drove the car with handbrake on. These kind of mistakes happen especially if it is their first vehicle (graduating from a bike) and also dont have much driving experience.
Dont mistaken me, i am not saying that is the reason here, but rememered this incident while reading this news.

Nice tidbit of information. Thanks for sharing the story.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 13:49   #289
BHPian

And, gentlemen, while we are discussing about the fire/reliability/safety of the Nano, an adventure (sort of) ride of driving the Nano from Amritsar to London is about to flagoff. I read about it here:

[NEWS INDIA]: Nano Challenge - From Taj Mahal, India to Traflagar Square, London - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
MotoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:34   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
And, gentlemen, while we are discussing about the fire/reliability/safety of the Nano, an adventure (sort of) ride of driving the Nano from Amritsar to London is about to flagoff. I read about it here:

When people can go around the world on bicycles, why not the Nano. NO BIG DEAL

The former would probably be a lot safer too.(NO KIDDING)

So long.....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 21:18   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post

So long.....
Well, I understand where this is coming from, but I don't think that we need to take it to this extreme.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:33   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So long.....
If you consider fatalities bicycles are a lot safer then latest Cars with 6 Airbags and ABS as well so the point is ?

amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 01:57   #293
BHPian

Quote:

So long.....
Sorry to go

Heh, if you are looking for a safer journey around the world, a short story from Thiruvilaiyadal (Hindu mythology) comes to mind.

When Lord Muruga and Ganesh were competing to go around the world, Lord Ganesh went around his parents and won the competition. You neither need a nano nor a bicycle.

Here is a link for those interested - Palani Murugan Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coming back to the topic, I'll take my chances with 4 wheels and a roof in comparison to 2 wheels. And for that matter definitely a NANO, thankyou over many other cars
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 02:26   #294
BHPian

I guess The Yeti Drive from Bombay to Delhi in the Nano is proof enough for me.

Fiat Uno when launched in India in , IIRC 1996 had 3 lac + bookings, but there was only the Marutis at that time, and someone saw their market share going down, and it had the help of very many interested parties and managed to dent the Uno so bad, that fiat has still not been able to stand up since.

Sam did your nano go up in flames?
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 04:14   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Sam did your nano go up in flames?
The bling'ed up Nano might have shot up like a rocket because of all the RMS it's music system pumps out

Quote:
Fiat Uno when launched in India in , IIRC 1996 had 3 lac + bookings, but there was only the Marutis at that time, and someone saw their market share going down, and it had the help of very many interested parties and managed to dent the Uno so bad, that fiat has still not been able to stand up since.
Do you have anything to substantiate, or even strike considerable doubt that Maruti were indeed behind the Uno's failure? IIRC the reasons were pretty different.

Back to topic:
IMHO, we are making a big deal out of this whole incident - primarily because of all the hype the car has generated and its capabilities in spite of being the cheapest car. And I guess it comes within us to degrade anything that's successful even before 'O' of 'O'pportunity is spelt!

Of course, if I buy a car and it decides to go up in flames on the way home from the dealership, I would be flabbergasted. But would I blame the maker / dealer / model unscrupulously? I need to at least know what caused the fire (that is, if I survived it!!). Anything from a manufacturing fault to a faulty add-on (music system / remote locking?) to a lit cigarette being sucked in to the ventilation vents could have caused the fire, no?

Being the second most populated country, we definitely one of the most congested roads - and how many cars have seen that have gone up in flames? And is there any one manufacturer's car that has not lit up out of the blue ever? World over? Lets reign in ourselves and hold back until we know the cause before we fire salvos at the Nano, or at each other please!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 30th March 2010 at 04:20.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 08:14   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The bling'ed up Nano might have shot up like a rocket because of all the RMS it's music system pumps out

Do you have anything to substantiate, or even strike considerable doubt that Maruti were indeed behind the Uno's failure? IIRC the reasons were pretty different.

Back to topic:
IMHO, we are making a big deal out of this whole incident - primarily because of all the hype the car has generated and its capabilities in spite of being the cheapest car. And I guess it comes within us to degrade anything that's successful even before 'O' of 'O'pportunity is spelt!

Of course, if I buy a car and it decides to go up in flames on the way home from the dealership, I would be flabbergasted. But would I blame the maker / dealer / model unscrupulously? I need to at least know what caused the fire (that is, if I survived it!!). Anything from a manufacturing fault to a faulty add-on (music system / remote locking?) to a lit cigarette being sucked in to the ventilation vents could have caused the fire, no?

Being the second most populated country, we definitely one of the most congested roads - and how many cars have seen that have gone up in flames? And is there any one manufacturer's car that has not lit up out of the blue ever? World over? Lets reign in ourselves and hold back until we know the cause before we fire salvos at the Nano, or at each other please!

Very articulate and delightful post. Enjoyed it.

Rest assured though, your post won't cool down the debate (however much we wish it too), it's against the pulse of the board.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:06   #297

Quote:
This is the easiest way to kill a good product. Kill its creditability. Can we have more info on the cause of the fire, and then make an informed decision. There are more than enough people / companies wanting this product from Tata motors to fail.
Lets judge, once all facts are clear in the open. There is way too much at stake on this little car.

I am a fan of Mr. Ratan Tata and believe he will fix these problems just like singur.
Err thats pretty pretentious. The reason is given in the second paragraph! There've been 4 or 5 separate incidents and still no response from the company? And the incidents date back to september-october. It is a pride for India yes..Tata is a new entrant and it will learn yes.. fan of Ratan Tata yes, but none of that is reason enough to go soft on safety of customers, or look at the incidents lightly.
eternalmonotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 13:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalmonotony View Post
Err thats pretty pretentious. The reason is given in the second paragraph! There've been 4 or 5 separate incidents and still no response from the company? And the incidents date back to september-october. It is a pride for India yes..Tata is a new entrant and it will learn yes.. fan of Ratan Tata yes, but none of that is reason enough to go soft on safety of customers, or look at the incidents lightly.
First two-three incidents and this is entirely different issues.

We just have one major incident and no one knows what exactly happened. Whether it is a mistake of manufacturer or the customer/dealer/local installer. I do not think there is any serious design issue here, if that was the case how about thousands of Nanos that are already on Indian roads?
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:29   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
I think there is compromise on quality in Nano in order to keep its price low. It is true that Nano is a small car, but I was always wondered how a price tag of about 1,22,000 was possible for a 'CAR.' Apart from the fire incidents, Nano also is too small and too light a car to survive accidents.
I see a lot of people passing comments like this. I live in a market where hatchbacks are not considered as car. I ask all these people passing this comments, did you go through the owner ship reports by nano owners. Answer for the most will be a No. IF yes, why is that no one feels the same way as you did. These Nano owners(from the ownership reports) are proud of their baby the same way as a BMW or a Audi owner. Why?

A person driving a Vista or a Swift may not feel Nano is a complete car. Manza owners may feel the same about Vista or Swift. Like City or Altis about Manza. Audi or BMW about City. Ferrari about BMW or Audi. Every one wants to drive a Ferrari but they cannot afford it. For me it makes perfect sense if a Ferrai or a BMW owner says Nano is not complete car. But some of the persons passing that statement happen to own a 800 or a Alto. What makes you think the extra 2 inches makes you feel your car is big or Safe?

In a market where majority of sales come from hatchbacks(majority with out airbags) I don't understand what makes poeple pass that comment.

There are so many cars in Indian which are not safer or not much bigger than Nano. But we only complain about Nano.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:49   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

I have something to say here.

As most of you know (i see my name cropped up) - I have had extensive experience with a Nano. My company owns one and I was privileged to drive it along with my friend and fellow TBHPian Normally_crazy almost non-stop from Bombay to Delhi.

The car is most certainly not of a low quality. In fact it hardly ever betrayed its price tag. If you happened to see the videos you would realise that nowhere did we ever mention that the car is poorly built and we stand by that.

That said, here is my unbiased opinion on the electricals of the car.

They are poor.

The battery is placed, naked and unprotected under the driver's seat. The fuse box is made of cheap plastic and the cables are gauged to minimum specs.

Does it make it dangerous to the passenger. No, I think it does not.

However, in all cars, the source of the fire is almost always the power source - in this case the battery. Instead of being placed in the engine compartment, in this case the source of the fire would be under your precious uhh.. posterior.

I understand why TATA chose to do it. One look at the car's construction and you realise that this was the only place available for the battery in the TATA Nano.

Also, IMO the battery under the driver's seat is more susceptible to human interference and possible shorting. A simple metallic tool placed under your seat can cause a fire.

I don't know if I have added fuel to the fire for the Nano Haters. I personally love the Nano and think it is a great car.

I'm just presenting an honest educated opinion.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th March 2010 at 20:51.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote