Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th April 2010, 23:20   #331
BHPian

Read this on economic times.
Quote:
ANAND: A brand new Tata Nano car which was on its way to be delivered in Vadodara, caught fire near Boriyavi village of the district here today,
police said.

The incident took place on National Highway 8, when a fleet of eleven Tata Nano cars was being driven to a dealer in Ahmadabad to be delivered in Vadodara, they said.

This is second such instance in recent days. Last month, in Mumbai, a brand new Nano was reduced to ashes while being driven to home from showroom.

According to police, one of the Nano cars, which was in the middle the fleet, caught fire in its rear portion.

The driver of the car was safe, they said.
Source: Another brand new Tata Nano car catches fire in Anand district -Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 00:13   #332
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
Folks who are talking for TATA in this thread need to take notice of this fire incedent. So many cases already reported, but what is preventing TATAs from recalling the car and fixing the problem? Its either because they have no clue what the problem is or they are just trying to avoid the responsibility.

Now this is what differentiates Honda/Toyota and Tata. Honda/Toyota accepted their problem and did a honest recall of the affected models. But if TATAs who are supposedly known for their honesty in conducting business is not accepting their mistake, I don't know what to say. If they are so honest, why do they need any rule or law to recall a defective car? Defects can be there in any car of any brand. But finally matters is how they respond when they detect that defect.

When Suzuki announced that they would not venture in to making a car in the same segment as Nano because they cannot provide adequate safety at that price, some body in one of the forums here commented that "Its not that Suzuki wont do it, but can't do it". Well I think that was a very very premature conclusion. I would wait till Nano proves itself and then give any judgment whether it is good or bad.
You are forgetting a few things here and make some statements that seem to be very tragic.

If the todays fire can be verified it is just 5 cars in total in incidents. No one has died and the causes have been estblished in three cases, which have no relation to the one confirmed fire and the claimed fire.

Tata rectified the other fault appearing on the 3 cars.

Mr Toyoda was adament that his cars are safe up to the day he stood in front of the American public and in front of Seantors, where he had to make a public apology. The only reason why he did this is to face lesser consequences.

The other manufacturers you named had not acted in honesty as you calim. They were forced by foreign authorities and withdrew even in India under the public pressure loosing revenue. They couldn't care less if money wasn't at stake.

Suzuki announcing that they wouldn't produce the Nano competitor was a timely announcement to cash in on the misfortune Tata has due to public exaggeration. This way it looks good in the public's eye than rather to acknowledge that they would not amange.

I have been sitting through meetings as a consultant, where I had to listen to such policies and know what the real thinking is about. By announcing it they can withdraw from plans that they can't realise and draw customers to the more expensive alternative of Suzuki on bad advertising on Tata's misfortune. This is the reality of things. We have passed a long time where honourable behaviour as the done thing in business.

We live in a time of smarta***s that have only one thing in mind: How can we make more turnover and the best profit on top.

Welcome to the American thinking of business.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 01:01   #333
BHPian

Quote:
How would a steering fault cause a fire in the rear engine compartment?
Quote:

The fire could well have started because of a faulty front tyre.

Now this is what differentiates Honda/Toyota and Tata. Honda/Toyota accepted their problem and did a honest recall of the affected models.
This thread continues to be a place for some irresponsible and incorrect posts. Anyone who read the thread completely would not have posted like above. Anyone having complete knowledge of the Toyota recall issue would not term them honest.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 08:41   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
If you call a sum of around Rs80000-100000/- not much after all, then yes a nano is not a better value than a Alto.
But remember for most of the people the nano would be their first and the only car and for them this differnce is HUGE. Add ot it the additional interst charges of finance and the EMIs.And for some people like me the Nano is any day better than a Alto only because it has its own charm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
+1

I would say the Nano is exceptional value for what you get.

If you have to buy a car on finance in Europe and you can afford to pay Rs2000 for lets say for a car costing you lets say Rs100000 you will have to pay back for 50 months plus interest rate, which is x months on top.

If you can afford the same Rs2000 and pay double the money for tghe car you back for 100months + 2x months interest rate+ y months on the interest of the interest. And y months will not be nothing.

I would prefer the cheaper option alone from looking at being free of repayments at much less than half the time.

Even if you have the money, your cash flow situation is hampered with the more expensive car, which is hardly better.

Another point, which is overlooked by roy_libran is the depreciation. The Alto will loose more than the Nano when someone will up grade or buy a newer Nano. Also the spare part situation will be in the favour of the Nano.

When you look at the points that are at least as important than the buying price, you will find that the Nano is a winner.
1. I am well aware that 80K is a sizeable difference in the lowest end of the car market spectrum. It can make the difference between owning a car and not owning one.
2. The car that you are getting from Tata, is devoid of refinement, safety, reliability, and a lot of other things. The resale value of the car is still unknown, but given the typical reputation of Tata Vehicles, I would not expect this to be reasonably high. Hence, it is too early to do a comparative study of depreciation.
3. Maruti Alto, on the other hand, is a better car, proven in it's technology, and backed by a fantastic service network. It also enjoys a fantastic resale value, due to low depreciation (FACT!).
4. I know the comparison is not an Apple to an Apple. However, if you holistically compare the two products, you will find that ALTO is better value for money than NANO will ever be. It still does not make the ALTO reachable for a large percentage of the population because of the price difference, but that same populace may be better of buying a Used ALTO or SPARK, than buying the NANO.
5. The comment about SPARE PART availability vis-a-vis a NANO, is pure Conjecture from CPH.
I have driven all three cars mentioned above (a lot!) and have thus formed my opinions so.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:26   #335
CPH
BHPian

@ roy_libran - You might want to read this a quote from The Telegraph:

The Nano's closest competitor in India is the desperately aged and spectacularly basic Maruti/Suzuki 800 model. The CVT automatic Nano's performance is described by a Tata executive as "similar" to the Maruti's, so expect a top speed of about 82mph and 0-60mph acceleration in 25 seconds. The Nano's twin-cylinder, 624cc, 32.5bhp engine is far more advanced than the Maruti's old Suzuki unit, however, and at a claimed 57mpg offers better overall fuel consumption than the Maruti's 42mpg.
The rear-engined configuration is interesting, as it maximises interior space and minimises weight; the 10ft 2in (3,100mm) Nano is eight per cent shorter than the Maruti 800, but is claimed to have 21 per cent more interior room. So short is the Nano that one wonders how it will sit in Tata showrooms beside vastly more ostentatious Jaguar and Land Rover models should India's largest car maker be successful in buying those two British marques from Ford in the coming weeks - in the boot of a Discovery 3 perhaps?
What's more, the only car shorter than this to have successfully passed the Euro NCAP crash test is Mercedes-Benz's wildly expensive-to-build 8ft 2in (2,489mm) Smart car, which sells at 6,900. Former Ford chief engineer Richard Parry Jones once suggested that the 11ft 10.5in (3,620mm) Ford Ka was about the shortest car he could imagine having sufficient front-end crash safety for the European market.
That is not to scoff at the Tata Nano though. It isn't designed for the developed world. What's more, rival car makers also compromise absolute crash safety in emerging markets, although not always to the same extent.
"There is no way we could get into this price arena," said Tadashi Arashima, president and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe this week. "We are looking at a low-cost family car for between $8,000 and $10,000 (4,000-5,000), but there are certain areas where we cannot compromise, such as quality." The Nano's influence will be enormous, however. It puts India and Tata on the world car-making map and takes a definite and confident side in a circular and fairly pointless debate about whether emerging markets want stripped-out versions of large family saloons or small, purpose-built new cars - actually they want both. General Motors and Renault-Nissan are on the other side of this argument, although Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said recently, "We cannot afford to let Tata get a lead on low-cost production or sales." Indeed, besides a joint deal with Mahindra to produce the low-cost Logan car in India, Ghosn has also signed a deal with Indian motorcycle maker Bajaj to make an even cheaper car.
Toyota president, Katsuaki Watanabe admits the Nano will force his company to create "a revolution in car making", with production processes that take days rather than weeks, that his engineers are studying right now. The Tata's two-cylinder engine is also in the vanguard, with Fiat, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi and GM all working on similar power units fitted with balance shafts to meet new fuel consumption and carbon dioxide requirements.
The Nano also reopens a long cherished idea of the completely recyclable, throwaway car as an attainable reality. Using battery or hybrid power, cars such as this could become a shared resource, available to hire for hours or even minutes on urban streets. Current thinking is that they would have a two-year life before being brought back into the factory for refurbishment or recycling.
And whatever you think of the idea of millions more cars on the road and the resulting greenhouse gases and pollution, the motor industry is deadly serious about these low-cost vehicles. GM is already thinking about production sites in Africa where countries might be able to use the handle of mass car production as a step up into economic growth, in much the same way as Henry Ford helped generate prosperity with his original Model T by paying his workers enough to buy a car of their own.
Perhaps the idea of the car industry succeeding in bringing peace and prosperity to parts of the developing world where countless governments and other institutions have failed is just too fanciful, but if it ever happens, just remember that it all started with the little Indian.

Video: Tata Nano Passes European Crash Test - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

This is not written by the idiot CPH!

This is statements from CEOs of the largest companies in the world as well as automotive experts.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:44   #336
Senior - BHPian

Oh no not again! My Nano has not yet arrived. There seems to be a delay. It was just little before the Nano fire incident that my dealership called and told me that my Nano would arrive shortly. Yesterday, they called and told Nano has reached their yard and arrive to the show room withn 2-7 days and I can expect delivery any time during this period. Now, another Nano fire?

The first fire itself caused lots of doubts in my family members and somehow convinced them it was a one off incident. This incident has caused more doubts and confusion. I dont know what to do now.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:47   #337
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Oh no not again! My Nano has not yet arrived. There seems to be a delay. It was just little before the Nano fire incident that my dealership called and told me that my Nano would arrive shortly. Yesterday, they called and told Nano has reached their yard and arrive to the show room withn 2-7 days and I can expect delivery any time during this period. Now, another Nano fire?

The first fire itself caused lots of doubts in my family members and somehow convinced them it was a one off incident. This incident has caused more doubts and confusion. I dont know what to do now.
Stop panicking for goodness sake.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:52   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
This is not written by the idiot CPH!
Hilarious, CPH. Rest assured, there are people who will refuse to eat humble pie, be it the CEO of Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki owners (I am also one), while others (rest of the CEOs wholeheartedly admit that Tata laid one on them) and go on with their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hi Karthik,
Relax and don't let (mis)information (mis)lead you. All you have heard is just that. To make sure, you don't have issues, just go through the overall arrangement and like people mentioned, go in for an after market battery cover. Check fuel lines for any issues like spillage.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:04   #339
Team-BHP Support

The tata nano which caught fire yesterday was not being driven by a customer, but was being delivered to the showroom.
Now thats really really a first. There is no customer involved here, only the manufacturer!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:21   #340
Senior - BHPian

^^ - Duh!! count keeps increasing.

1 question here,since when did cars are driven in a convoy to a showroom? Arent they taken aboard a truck?

Guys from Guj/Ahmdbad - what does your local papers say. Should say more than the 5 lines in ET/TOI...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:26   #341
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The tata nano which caught fire yesterday was not being driven by a customer, but was being delivered to the showroom.
Now thats really really a first. There is no customer involved here, only the manufacturer!
And both were not driven by customers.

And the one reported about yesterday was a pre PDI one.

Looks to me that someone didn't do its job properly.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:36   #342
BHPian

There is anews of a Nano catching fire. No indica, No vista, No Safari or the Sumo. Either there is a serious defect because it is a cheap product or the competetion is bribing prople to burn the cars. I am not sure if it wise to analyse the situation on face value.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:39   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Hi Karthik,
Relax and don't let (mis)information (mis)lead you. All you have heard is just that. To make sure, you don't have issues, just go through the overall arrangement and like people mentioned, go in for an after market battery cover. Check fuel lines for any issues like spillage.
I am an optimistic guy. Family and friends, how would you convince them? That too for 2nd time. They wouldnt know anything about automobiles or freak incidents. They judge by what they see and what they hear from media. I am sure media would already hyped and made huge deal out of this. Nano would still come home anyways.

Last edited by funkykar : 8th April 2010 at 11:40.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:39   #344
BHPian

I think Tata's need to wake up and see the quality issues seriously. There are low budgets vehicle coming into the market like Mahindra Gio, Atul auto's, etc. But these are not having quality issues like this.

The fire has not injured people but people will need a reassurance, else customers will feel they are sitting in a time bomb which may trigger any time.

This will impact on sales and long term relations with Tata Motors.

I feel Tata's should improve the quality further and increase the price nominally rather than putting cheap and getiing into trouble.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:58   #345
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano seems to have some problem with fuel supply leakages (I assume), which causes the fuel to leak onto the hot engine bay causing fire (in the latest two cases).

As far as I know, & have collected information from my friends/ relatives who are in auto industry, in India how many good fuel pump supplier exist, very few. Add to this the fools handling QC in Tata. This could be the cause of fire in the engine bays of the two Nanos. I have firm belief that this the reason for the incidents.

God forbid, if there is any fault in the designing of the engine of the Nano, then those who are in the waiting list have two options - either wait longer for the rectified Nano or wait to be roasted in the rolling oven.

However, by no standards Nano is badly built. There have been couple of front on accidents as reported in forum & it was also reported that the passenger compartment was totally safe, including the steering assembly, because the cars were actually driven to the service centres after the accidents. So please be assured that Nanos are as safe as Alto or 800, but for the fires.

In a nutshell, Tata need to investigate the fire in Nano before it spreads to other models (spread by us... of course).

PS : Please analyse my post/ points & the situation CRITICALLY before getting back to me with all your bells & whistles, as I have both defended as well as criticised Tatas + Nanos, i.e. not taken any sides like few of my friends in the posts earlier.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote