Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th April 2010, 10:00   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I saw in news analysis, that fire is mostly happening since its an back engine car and so it don't get sufficient cooling, The engine over heats and car catches fire. This looks pretty accurate analysis. What is your say guys?
My dear friend, think logically. How about other 25000+ cars on the road? If there was an issue with engine cooling more cars would have affected by this time.

I am not defending TATA here. I did not watch TV news analysis, please let us know who is that expert "analysis".

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th April 2010 at 10:02.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 10:20   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In India somehow Honda and Toyota deliver better quality then Thailand , USA and Europe and never have to recall
All the cars from toyota/honda sold in India are either made in USA/Europe/Japan with same parts. How does the quality differ? Does cars adapt to our great indian road conditions? Even if the sudden accelaration issue happens in India does the govt or the auto maker maintain any database. If not how can we say they do not have problems in india.

Just reading the global recall thread. Only three pages. One thing common across all MNC's: India not affected. Not surprisingly our beloved members like soccer, vnk77 are missing on thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ls-thread.html (The Global *Recalls* Thread)

Last edited by airbender : 9th April 2010 at 10:34.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:16   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
so why rest of 25000 Nanos do not catch fire , It will be good if you go through some of the posts here.

yes CPH you are ride Toyota case is different , They were knowing of the problem all along but managed to jail an ex-Nissan engineer who raised the issue of sudden acceleration in Japan for first time citing him a dangerous blackmailer but such tactics do not work elsewhere.

In India somehow Honda and Toyota deliver better quality then Thailand , USA and Europe and never have to recall
Haha.. This was good. Seems to come back to the point that we (Indian's) still have a "foreign" (vilayat) fetish. "Imported Saar". Doesn't matter whether it came from China, "imported hai saar".
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:27   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
All the cars from toyota/honda sold in India are either made in USA/Europe/Japan with same parts. How does the quality differ? Does cars adapt to our great indian road conditions? Even if the sudden accelaration issue happens in India does the govt or the auto maker maintain any database. If not how can we say they do not have problems in india.
l (The Global *Recalls* Thread)
No not made in USA/Europe/Japan actually In India Toyota / Honda sell cars build in India using components from India / Thailand and Japan but still quality is so bulletproof that the recall never affects Indian customers
also they do not want to provide same bulletproof excellent quality made in India which never requires to be recalled to European and USA customers so they do not export Cars out of India to these destinations despite low labor costs and cheap component vendors available in India
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:29   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My dear friend, think logically. How about other 25000+ cars on the road? If there was an issue with engine cooling more cars would have affected by this time.

I am not defending TATA here. I did not watch TV news analysis, please let us know who is that expert "analysis".
When TATA motors itself have told they will look into the issue, i don't know here why so many people are blasting people who tell there might be some problem. If there is some problem lets accept it, let tata motors analyze and come with fix, the argument that Japanese are also wrong so we should also be wrong is not right argument. 2 wrongs wont make it right.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:54   #396
Senior - BHPian

As much as I'm a tata basher, I'm really beginning to wonder if there is some foul play involved here. There are a lot of people who stand to gain by scuttling the nano's reputation.
This is whole fire issue is way too consistent (something which tata cars are not )

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th April 2010 at 13:55.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 14:01   #397
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
When TATA motors itself have told they will look into the issue, i don't know here why so many people are blasting people who tell there might be some problem. If there is some problem lets accept it, let tata motors analyze and come with fix, the argument that Japanese are also wrong so we should also be wrong is not right argument. 2 wrongs wont make it right.
You are right and even more so on the point in bold.

However quite a few people were praising Toyota and claimed the 2 Nano fires sealed the dooms day of India. Soccer even went so far to be defamatory and when pointed out with the consequences it would be lawyer. Plainly he is fueling lies bringing him in line with liers (certainly not anything god blesses!).

______

To add on to airbender's post:

These incidents obviously shouldn't happen. But the reality is that they do. Why such incidents happen always needs to be looke on a case by case basis.

The Tata bus fires and the 2 different Nano incidents are in no way related.

Unlike other manufacturers in India (not to mention foreign manufacturers) Tata seems to be in the limelight in the public.

London transport started to buy bendy buses from Mercedes, which had a high rate of fires because of a major design fault. It was mentioned a couple of times in the London news and nobody seemed to bother.

I have had a conversation about the Nano last night at the Italian night in London. One of the guys, whose father lives in Mumbai can't wait to get one. Nobody over here is talking negatively of the Nano. I would buy one (only in yellow of course). But we are aware of the fire incidents.

A lot of people blow the whole thing out of proportion.

Just to give an idea how big the re-call problem is have a look at these sites:

Car Recalls : - The AA

VOSA - Vehicle Recalls

Auto Recalls - View the Latest Car Recalls Online

Download this and scroll through. You will be shocked:

FLAT_INV.zip (if it doesn't work you can download it from this page: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), ... Downloads)

And this is only the cars available in the USA!

And just for the people who thinks that Toyota acted so honorably look at the statement from the 5th of April (Home | National Highway Traffic Safety ... sportation, which is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the USA):

April 5: Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced that NHTSA is seeking the maximum civil penalty of $16.375 million against Toyota Motor Corporation for failing to notify the auto safety agency of the dangerous “sticky pedal” defect for at least four months, despite knowing of the potential risk to consumers. Approximately 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. were recalled in late January for the sticky pedal defect. The penalty being sought against Toyota would be the largest civil penalty ever assessed against an auto manufacturer by NHTSA.

______

@ airbender - I think amik26 was sarcastic (I like it ).

@ amartya - I must be a masochist. I begin to wonder.

@ shamanth - News analysis is entertainment and not factual. And don't forget the massive white page when you look at a tiny black spot on a sheet of paper.

@ amitk26 and Latheesh - I like the way you word your posts and am glad that you can with some others think out of the box.

@ Amartya - The foreign thing puzzles me. What is the problem with people?
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 14:50   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
As much as I'm a tata basher, I'm really beginning to wonder if there is some foul play involved here. There are a lot of people who stand to gain by scuttling the nano's reputation.
I feel it would be some minor technical snag which has been overlooked while assembling at factory. And hence Tata's also may be trying hard where the problem actually happened.

Since people's life's are more precious, we need to accept the fact that it just cant be ignored.

Here I think the Industry should come together to find out why the problem is happening, Many compaies have scheduled small car launch in next couple of years, hence for them also it is very important to know. Else people's trust on small car would go down and it would hamper sales very badly.

There are chances of vehicle getting damaged during transit. I have seen some cars getting unloading from trucks which are very scary too see. The people who are handling them are not qualified and there would be no supervisors nearby.

Gaining from Foul play is actually a big question? Nano is not directly competing with other models and Tata as a company is know for its value's. People like Ratan Tata are respected the most. Hence the impact for Tata as a company will be low.

Who will gain by foul play, everyone in the industry will loosing due to this.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:24   #399
BHPian

Quite possible, a minor snag blown out of proportions. But still catching fire is something dangerous.
vnk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:20   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Who will gain by foul play, everyone in the industry will loosing due to this.
Any company that has a cheap hatch to sell, to autorikshaw & scooter companies :P. The nano is relevant to a whole bunch of customers from many segments
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:44   #401
BHPian

The delivery of the Nano that was booked by my 70+ father is scheduled in November. What is the effect of the odd fires on him? He is now expecting his Nano a couple of months earlier and is happy about it! I see no negative thoughts at all in his mind. I, on the other hand, have made a devious plan of keeping the Nano with myself for a month after delivery on the pretext of precautionary measures.

There are reports of the odd fires but there also was that great expedition by Normally_Crazy and Sam Kapasi on a Nano. I certainly do not think that the Bombay to Delhi drive was a fluke.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:00   #402
Senior - BHPian

I do not know anyone from Tata reading this thread. If so I am ready to join the team for checking the vehicle (visual inspection) in Bangalore. I am not an expert in the field but have done so many field failure analysis in the past.
Or
1) Any Tata Nano owners share engine compartement pic from different angles.
2) How it is seperated from rear seats.
3) Is there good heat shielding provided.
4) How about packing/wrapping materials used near engine area - Remember both the car cought fire are brand new. So we cannot rule out this.
5) Air vent design
6) Fuel lines
7) Battery mounting layout, battery cap type, their vent design -
8) Wire harness near engine bay and their protection done from high heat/short circuit

I have no idea about inside details of NANO. But very interested to know/check.

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th April 2010 at 17:03.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 18:14   #403
BHPian

A second one so soon, happening a little too fast for a new car to roll out of the factory. The least that this incident does is somewhat remove the needle of suspicion implicitly laid on the owner of the Nano in the previous incident.
Going by the fact that automaking business has some crookedness involved in recalling faulty vehicles (to save money/face), I'd say Tata would also be in the same boat. And Tata continues to keep curiously silent. Considering the history of recalls the world over, is anything else to be expected?
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 22:16   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Haha.. This was good. Seems to come back to the point that we (Indian's) still have a "foreign" (vilayat) fetish. "Imported Saar". Doesn't matter whether it came from China, "imported hai saar".
Foreign Fetish: Cheer girls in IPL one good example for this.

I strongly believe indians suffer from foreign fetish.

Doesn't matter whether it came from China(or even pakistan)
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 22:25   #405
Senior - BHPian

Well IMO there is nothing wrong with the NANO in general but its the Notorious Tata QC at play here.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote