Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd March 2010, 14:30   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Phew! wonder how many such incidents are hidden. T
I guess our two decade old FIATs will run better!
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

When Nano was launched one year ago there were apprehensions about roads of cities like Bangalore getting clogged with enormous amounts of Nanos. More than one year later what is the scenario. I travel every day 32km through the Old Airport road which can be called an artery of Bangalore and would have spotted this car at the max once in a month or so. So when is the so called mass production going to happen?
Mind you even a low end 1 lac nano may cost a bomb now in Bangalore

Last edited by poloman : 22nd March 2010 at 14:31.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was the root cause analysis of that fire?

May be ICE manufactures will note your point and start manufacturing safety water sprinkler for NANO, both inside and outside the car. It could turn out to be a best seller
Do not remember the cause of those incidents.
Nano buyers will then have to ICFP their car together with ICE

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd March 2010 at 14:37.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:37   #34
BHPian

It was sad reading the newsreport. The same language is used in Mid-day too making it look as if AC and powersteerings were add-ons after purchase. So it cannot be a typo but the verbatim reproduction of what Mr. Sawant stated. But definitely it looks as if TASS released the vehicle after modifications if any as they sent a driver along.

The most sad was viewing the picture of the Nano burning with the garland still intact on its bonnet.
See picture here :
http://www.mid-day.com/imagedata/2010/mar/nanofire.jpg
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...HappyWheels: I am still optimistic about Nano being a very good car. I would get to the dealership and extend my warranty. I would anyways get the car ...
Funkykar,

I am all for the Nano. I was just poking at references of external accessories even though it was mentioned that the vehicle was driven off from the showroom.

And, here is my advance wishes on your new buy.

As for the extended warranty, I am sure the regular warranty will suffice for the initial days. Let it run for few months and they check if the EW is a requirement. Do note EW does not give your extended cover against more incidents, just the regular warranty for a slightly longer period (minus few covers offered by regular warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
He is taking delivery of a nano within a week! His confusion is quite genuine. ..
Talk about bad timing of this incident! I am sure there are many who might be having similar concerns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...EDIT: Speaking of insurance, what will Satish Sawant get in this case? I think he should be given more than just the IDV.
Good question. How much will he get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
...Could you please elaborate more on the Santro incident?...
People slept off in Santro with a/c on and windows all rolled up. They died of CO2 poisoning.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It was so long ago! If I remember right the Cielo incidents were attributed to faulty wiring harness. I am trying to remember about the Santro ones. There were a few incidents of asphyxiation when the cars were parked due to invisibility but the engine + AC were running - Co poisoning I think.

There were incidents of Omni going up in flames but almost all of them were fitted with after market LPG kits, especially the ones that used LPG cylinders.
Have you read about this?

maruti suzuki swiftzxi. Complaints - running swift caught fire.

There are many more if you simply 'Google'. Well, that's not the whole point for this thread! There is nothing proven by Maruti and the LPG incidents are clearly labeled and could easily be identified by looking at the burnt remains of a car.

The Santro incident can occur with any car if the car is parked under closed premises with the A/C ON (Due to CO emission)
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

1600Kms, 1 long 700Km road trip, 3 weeks, 1st free service later - THIS happens. Yet, I am going on another 700Km road trip 2 days from now. Just hope not to come back fried!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
People slept off in Santro with a/c on and windows all rolled up. They died of CO2 poisoning.
Well, not exactly.

These guys parked their car on the roadside where flood was almost knee high. They tuned on A/c and waited for the traffic jam to ease (may be) and since water was almost touching the under body of the car, the exhaust gases got trapped between water and the under body, and it was sucked in by the a/c. The cabin began to get filled with CO, (not CO2) and soon these guys felt tired and slept off. They died in their sleep. That's how CO kills.

Parking the car in open air, with A/c turned on won't cause CO poisoning.

And, this is not caused by the car's design flaw or anything. The guys should have rolled down the windows at the very instance they smelt exhaust gas inside. CO will make you tired first, so naturally one will fall asleep. Then nothing can save.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd March 2010 at 15:08.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

@anachronix

The Santros in question were parked on the sides of open roads, one was even on the shoulder of a highway. Not inside closed garages!

I know about the Omni incidents because when I worked at Bangalore, our company had a LPG division. Many Omni taxis had these cylinders fitted and when there were frequent accidents, a probe was done about this. Almost all cars that burnt had cylinders fitted, though not always ours!

I agree with you almost any car will have some incident associated with it. Nano issues get highlighted because of the number of incidents vis a vis the number of cars on the road!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
It was sad reading the newsreport. The same language is used in Mid-day too making it look as if AC and powersteerings were add-ons after purchase. So it cannot be a typo but the verbatim reproduction of what Mr. Sawant stated.
I don't think Power steering is available or rather needed for a Nano as an add-on.

It must be a typo as the same news is released in multiple newspapers because the agency that supplied the news will be the same. E.g PTI, UNP, etc. The newspapers just would have done a Cut and paste job.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Guys,

1600Kms, 1 long 700Km road trip, 3 weeks, 1st free service later - THIS happens. Yet, I am going on another 700Km road trip 2 days from now. Just hope not to come back fried!!
fire emanating from the combination switch area may be due to the supply wire connected to starting/ignition circuits shorting with the steering column, please get it checked when you visit A.S.S. next time, do ensure that the wiring harness is well protected with insulation sleeves.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Guys,

I hope you wish not to come back roasted (pun intended).
I know that you are a happy Nano owner, & have no reason to complain till now. Please accept my best wishes for carefree mile munching.

I hope Mr. Savant (owner of the burned Nano) was is not related to Rakhi Savant . How could he claim that the car had power steering or he retrofitted it at the dealership.

Regarding the Nano in Flames (Mumbai) incident, I believe that it could be because of the faulty workmanship at the dealership itself.

Or there could be something covering the exhaust or engine, say some sticker or other thing that might have got stuck there & caused the overheating (please observe the pictures again & you would see that fire has caused damage to the rear only).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
@anachronix
The Santros in question were parked on the sides of open roads, one was even on the shoulder of a highway. Not inside closed garages!
I'm posting the news reports of both the Santro cases and also the discussion here in teambhp regarding the incidents.

The Hindu : Front Page : Three die of suffocation in stranded car
Car turns into gas chamber, kills 4
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...onoxide-2.html (Does leakage of AC-gas lead to death? (2nd time 3 dead in Santro(Carbon Monoxide)))

It can happen with any car. In both the cases, the exhaust was choked letting CO to enter the cabin through the running AirCon. It just did not become a gas chamber. Unfortunately, in both cases, it was Santros which were involved and in my opinion, it was sheer coincidence.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Damn. That's a bummer. This is definitely not good news for new NANO buyers.
I am sure Mr. Sawant would be very scared to sit inside a nano again.
Chances are he will never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Do not remember the cause of those incidents.
Nano buyers will then have to ICFP their car together with ICE
What is ICFP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Funkykar,

I am all for the Nano. I was just poking at references of external accessories even though it was mentioned that the vehicle was driven off from the showroom.

And, here is my advance wishes on your new buy.

As for the extended warranty, I am sure the regular warranty will suffice for the initial days. Let it run for few months and they check if the EW is a requirement. Do note EW does not give your extended cover against more incidents, just the regular warranty for a slightly longer period (minus few covers offered by regular warranty).

Talk about bad timing of this incident! I am sure there are many who might be having similar concerns!
I understand. Thank you. I am sure there would be 100's of people like me and they dont even know that there were a few other incidents prior to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
fire emanating from the combination switch area may be due to the supply wire connected to starting/ignition circuits shorting with the steering column, please get it checked when you visit A.S.S. next time, do ensure that the wiring harness is well protected with insulation sleeves.

Spike
Are they dangerously close in the NANO?
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@anachronix

I know about the Omni incidents because when I worked at Bangalore, our company had a LPG division. Many Omni taxis had these cylinders fitted and when there were frequent accidents, a probe was done about this. Almost all cars that burnt had cylinders fitted, though not always ours!

I agree with you almost any car will have some incident associated with it. Nano issues get highlighted because of the number of incidents vis a vis the number of cars on the road!
Hi Gansan

Back here in Delhi there are more of Marutis (Wagon-R, Omnis), Matiz's & a couple of Ford Ikons catching fire. But, no Hyundai has caught fire. Yes there have been incidents of Santro & also City passengers dying due to suffocation in adverse weather & closed windows of the cars.

Being a Maruti fanboy is explainable in your case, but, this does not means that all other manufacturers are sleeping.

Suzuki has been in passenger cars business for decades, as compared to Tata who are there for not more than 2 decades. I am sure tat Tata will improve a lot in the next decade.
Please, atleast for once, ride a Tata car & feel the difference in the ride comfort over your car. I had the same feelings as you till I actually commuted in an Indica.

BTW I own a Santro Xing presently & considering a number of cars (essentially big cars including Honda City, Maruti SX4, Tata Manza to Indian SUVs) as my next car, which should sort out any confusion that I am any fanboy sort of.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote