Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th April 2010, 08:37   #466
Senior - BHPian

My four cents:
- I agree with amitk26's definition of quality
- At every price point in the spectrum, you would perhaps have to compromise for something or the other w.r.t the next higher segment
- Compromises can be w.r.t the features, accessories, service quality, maintenance, FE and so on and so forth
- Compromise can never be "SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION". It is simple unacceptable, especially so, if the vehicle is brand new
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:04   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
Why is Tata no 2 or 3 in a market with all international players? Why do 30000 odd people buy tata vehicles every month when the quality is so bad. Answer: Tata quality is not that bad after all.
That was funny. Just because they churn out crude rattlers and fume-emitting people-movers like the Sumo, Indica in the thousands which are lapped up by the taxi-segment, does it make them good at quality ? Sort of like saying that just because cheap chinese toys sell a lot, they are great in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee
They should be ready to compromise on quality.
Hmm. Interesting. You pay 10L for a Safari and should compromise on quality. Going by your point, Tata can then print this out in the manual - "This Safari that you purchased has only the quality for the price you paid. Expect issues in the vehicle or go buy a CRV/Endy/GV."

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee
"Catching fire" is a different thing, but low quality plastic and such should be acceptable...
I don't think tsk was moaning about plastic quality issues in his Safari - check out the thread, the issues he faced are more serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
Look at the BS4 Alto. A new version but the cabin feels cheaper than nano.
Maybe. But atleast the Alto-user need not worry about his car 'n cabin catching fire. And guess what ? The Alto is 30-year old technology, but still reliable and safer than what is supposedly cutting-edge.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:15   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That was funny. Just because they churn out crude rattlers and fume-emitting people-movers like the Sumo, Indica in the thousands which are lapped up by the taxi-segment, does it make them good at quality ? Sort of like saying that just because cheap chinese toys sell a lot, they are great in quality.

I have travelled thousands of KM in Sumo, Mobile and even in TATA estate. Only problem faced was once in ESTATE A/C stopped working at 1 in the hot afternoon. But when I travelled in Toyota qualis twise to Goa engine refused to start and were unable to get it fixed by local mechanics. Other qualis was pathetic and we were cursing throughout our journey. Does it mean that Qualis is bad comparing to other three mentioned above. No, its all about how they maintained the vehicles. Mobile and Sumo had clocked 100K KM in their odo and maintenance were done on time. Same was not the case with Qualis. Hope you understand the message.

Just give a Maruti to a cab driver and check it after 1 year to see the result.

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th April 2010 at 15:17.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:34   #469
BHPian

^^

Very true. Have driven a 1.6 lakh Zen used as taxi. I could not find anything tangibly better than a 1.6 lakh Indica. Actually I slowed down after a while because I got the feeling that the body was flexing a little too much. Does that mean all Zens are bad?

Also, I am impressed by the technical acumen of some of my friends here who can investigate and judge on the fire in a Nano by remembering their experiences in some Taxi Sumo somewhere else! Very logical!
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 17:24   #470
Senior - BHPian

actually i was driven around in a zen taxi running on petrol, and it was a lot quieter then my indica ( in terms of rattles). Struck up a convo with the driver who turned out to own an indica DLS turbo as well , and he said he preferred the zen . I can imagine why.

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th April 2010 at 17:25.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 20:57   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
Hope you understand the message.
Nope. Because there was none to understand. I was responding to airbender's claim that quantity translates to quality, while you are quoting your Sumo vs Qualis experiences. Selling more vehicles does not mean that that brand is of the best quality.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 22:19   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmm. Interesting. Tata can then print this out in the manual - "This Safari that you purchased has only the quality for the price you paid. Expect issues in the vehicle or go buy a CRV/Endy/GV."
It is obvious for most people, so no need to print..
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 22:41   #473
rkg
Senior - BHPian

One of the collegues in my apartments bought Spark. with in one month it stopped all of a sudden on the road. he was with his boss, it has to be towed. Alternator failed and had to be replaced.
almost all car manufacturers have problems. But only TATA problems are highlighted.

In 2006-07 i have come across three reports of Mercedes diesel cars catching fire and burnt fully. one in tirupati, one in chennai and i for got the place for the third. Nano is petrol car . two out of 30000 odd cars caught fire. How many mercedes are sold in year. 3 out of them is what percentage? Further is a diesel and costs a min of 30 Lakhs. NO fuss. only a small column in news papers.

Does it mean costlier cars can burn and cheap cars should not?

It does not mean Nano can cacth fire. Let the company find out what is the cause. At least they paid back the customer full amount, unlike Ford where customer has to fight it out in court ( check 3-4 year back Indian express for the story, it happened in chennai)

Same is case with TATA buses in DTDC. If TATA bus catches fire all the channels make it big issue. but when three Ashok layland buses caught fire the same channels did not even mention the makers name.

Three days back one telugu channel was broad casting a story " many nano's are catching fire and customers are cancelling orders and blah blah......

Last edited by rkg : 16th April 2010 at 22:43.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 23:35   #474
Senior - BHPian

I finally took delivery of my NANO today. It was a safe drive till home.

A teaser pic. I will start a ownership thread tomorrow.
Attached Images

funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 23:46   #475
Senior - BHPian

^^Now that is a Red Hot Nano! Straight out of the fire?

Congratulations on the most talked about car!
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 02:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I finally took delivery of my NANO today. It was a safe drive till home.

A teaser pic. I will start a ownership thread tomorrow.
Congratulations and I loved the way you cropped the picture, it looks exactly like a face with the eyes and the nose visible. The Tata logo makes for the nostrils.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 09:38   #477
BHPian

@rkg

You nailed it.

Thats the only point which many are trying to make from the last 30 odd pages.

We need the same scale for Tata and Mercedes. If someone has some grudge against Tata companies over some other matters, the Nano fire issue is not the right forum to express it.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 10:00   #478
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default I10 catches fire

Recently I10 started catching fire. we have thread in team bhp about it.

did hyundai replaced the car?

it asked the customer to pay for repairs.

Hyundai tried to escape stating it is due to rat bite.

if it is due to rat bite why did company made some adjustments (like protective sheet to fule pipe) to other i10's.

it is indeed appears to be design defect where fuel pipe is exposed. nano also might have been a similar case.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 10:40   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Totally agree with you. Some people try to use quality as a silver bullet to bash Tata's. Question to all of them: Why is Tata no 2 or 3 in a market with all international players? Why do 30000 odd people buy tata vehicles every month when the quality is so bad. Answer: Tata quality is not that bad after all.
Maruti sells the maximum number of cars in the market, so does it mean that Maruti is ultimate in quality ? Alto sells a lot, so can we say its the best buy ?

IMHO, number are not perfect indicators of quality. Never, and this ( nos. is not equal to quality concept ) is applicable to all manufacturers.

Also remember that most of cars in Tata are bought as Taxi. Tata then stopped passing of Vista as taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
See another, this time Lexus
UPDATE 5-Toyota halts Lexus SUV sales after safety warning | Reuters

So let's not jump in to conclusion without a detailed analysis on Nano issue.
There is another thread for the same topic, but as you have brought it here, I request you to go through the following posts and the links provided in the posts :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1788539-post214.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1801968-post218.html
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 11:10   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
It is obvious for most people, so no need to print..
So you are basically saying that if a 10L vehicle has breakdowns and part failures its perfectly okay because its not possible to build a reliable SUV for as little as 10L?
So tomorrow if your buy an indica and it needs to go to workshop every month for some repair or other, you will be a happy customer, because the car is VFM and has so much space for so less money, and according to you its perfectly okay for a low priced car to break down every month, right?
And do not try to change your statement, where you suddenly decided that you meant cheaper plastics etc., If this thread was about nano plastic quality your statement would have had relevance, but this thread is about nano catching fire, which can be called a "breakdown", and also why the benefit of doubt does not lie with Tata.
BTW, I would still say tata is the best VFM in any segment, but being best VFM does not give any company the right to cut corners on critical parts(remember, I am not talking about plastics).

As I said earlier, I am very glad other customers are not like you. If they were manufacturers will offer 1 week warranty on all VFM cars, and get away with it.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote