Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 21:17   #481
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

The thing is, the NANO is huge. Its the world's cheapest car, everyone's eyes are on it, it simply should not fail, because if that happens, it shatters many many dreams. Hence all the hue and cry about the NANO catching fire.

Nobody knows the future, lets wait and see how this pot-boiler pans out
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 08:56   #482
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg
One of the collegues in my apartments bought Spark. with in one month it stopped all of a sudden on the road. Alternator failed and had to be replaced.
Hope you would agree that an alternator failing is not as serious as the car catching fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg
In 2006-07 i have come across three reports of Mercedes diesel cars catching fire and burnt fully.
Were these brand-new cars like the Nanos in question ? As far as old cars catching fire is concerned, we have had lots of reports about Cielo, Omni, Ikon, Indica etc. And yes, these are given same priority in the newspapers irrespective of the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg
Recently I10 started catching fire. we have thread in team bhp about it.
Is this 1 car or a trend of i10s catching fire ? I do know of an i10 that caught fire in Chennai in the 1st year of ownership - it was parked at home and caught fire. Nano or i10 or Alto, it ain't a good thing for cars to catch fire.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 15:23   #483
BHPian
 
Delta Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 228
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

This thread seems to render itself to personal wars on 'knowledge, experience, fires all over the world, unreliability in other cars, people bashing Tata-against-those bashing the people bashing Tata and people bashing other companies'. Does ANYONE know where the investigations in the burnt Nano cases have reached? If not, is there any point in tearing each other apart? Why is Tata still curiously silent?
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 19:39   #484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: miami. fl
Posts: 435
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Not just Nano but Maruti 800 and Wagon R also caught fire. The difference, people lost life in both the incidents mentioned below. This incident happened on 24th of April and for some reason media is not very interested. No one on t-bhp cared to open a thread. What does that mean?

Two cars catch fire, drivers locked in, die

Last edited by airbender : 27th April 2010 at 19:41.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 20:23   #485
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Nothing much, really.

The brother of the deceased in 1 of the reported cases alleges his brother was murdered (not a simple "car caught fire" case). The other guy was taking his car to be repaired, as per his family. What repair ? Anything serious enough to have caused the fire ? No idea.

In any case, IMO the reason these do not invoke interest in media/tbhp is because they are not new cars. So there could be a long string of reasons for the fire - improper LPG/CNG kit fitment, faulty wiring for accessories, etc etc
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 20:45   #486
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Surat/Mumbai
Posts: 201
Thanked: Once
Default

After reading about so many Nanos catching fire, the only line that came to my mind is:

Nano ki mat suniyo re, Naina thag lenge

Naina=plural form of Nanos. lolz. a PJ may be. But couldn't stop myself.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 21:46   #487
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Not just Nano but Maruti 800 and Wagon R also caught fire. The difference, people lost life in both the incidents mentioned below. This incident happened on 24th of April and for some reason media is not very interested. No one on t-bhp cared to open a thread. What does that mean?

Two cars catch fire, drivers locked in, die
Can you point where does the article say that the cars were brand new being driven out of the showroom?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 21:50   #488
BHPian
 
kadri007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I can see a lot of Nano's in Bangalore roads going smoothly with ease in busy traffic.

Good to see at least the owners are enjoying some pleasant the ride.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 22:58   #489
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Were these brand-new cars like the Nanos in question ? As far as old cars catching fire is concerned, we have had lots of reports about Cielo, Omni, Ikon, Indica etc. And yes, these are given same priority in the newspapers irrespective of the brand.
one of the Mercedes (tirupati one) was brand new. others i do not remember
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 23:59   #490
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
IMO the reason these do not invoke interest in media
Also it is not sensational. Nano is hot news around the world and media will follow them..
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 14:06   #491
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Nano First Drive by Nano

Tata Nano | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Attached is the link for first drive of the Indian cutey by stiff-lipped British counterparts, & they are all praises about the car. They even seem to have ignored the barbecue on wheels incident (s).

It makes our cribbing about the various issues related to Nano look like a child who has tantrums at the dining table .
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 17:35   #492
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,174
Thanked: 957 Times
Default

No other car holds interest of individuals/media both nationally and globally like the Nano. There are people looking forward to the success of the car and unfortunately some praying for its faliure. Therefore each time the smallest bit of news comes out it will invoke interest.
So no matter how many Marutis or whatever catches fire it obviously will be ignored 9 times out of 10. Until and unless an RR...maybe
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:13   #493
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

An interesting article about the practicability of the Nano.

Parsi Khabargame-changer-the-tata-nano-story/

http://parsikhabar.net/game-changer-...arsi+Khabar%29

Last edited by dr.faramroze : 4th May 2010 at 14:15. Reason: Could copy/paste the link properly
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 05:33   #494
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: miami. fl
Posts: 435
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That was funny. Just because they churn out crude rattlers and fume-emitting people-movers like the Sumo, Indica in the thousands which are lapped up by the taxi-segment, does it make them good at quality ? Sort of like saying that just because cheap chinese toys sell a lot, they are great in quality.
Comparing Tata vehicles and chinese toys is like comparing apples and oranges. Chinese toys sells for a fraction of the competitors cost. That cannot be said about Tata vehicles. Toy is a very low cost buy. Car is the second most expensive buying desicion for a indian customer. Why would people buy one lakh plus indicas every year if their quality is not acceptable. Indica's being preffered car for taxis is itself a certificate for that vehicle. If you read my post carefully I have never said tata's quality is good. My question is why would people buy a manza or vista over a swift or a dzire if the quality is so bad as you say.

This is some thing GTO has said in an another thread:

That said, it would be foolish to generalise all Tata cars based on a handful of examples. If 90% + of the Indicas on the road were not reliable, you would not see sales figures of a lac plus every year. Remember...word of mouth in India works wonders, and I know of plentiful Tata Indica / Indigo customers who were extremely happy customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Maruti sells the maximum number of cars in the market, so does it mean that Maruti is ultimate in quality ? Alto sells a lot, so can we say its the best buy ?

IMHO, number are not perfect indicators of quality. Never, and this ( nos. is not equal to quality concept ) is applicable to all manufacturers.

Also remember that most of cars in Tata are bought as Taxi. Tata then stopped passing of Vista as taxi.
Never did I say numbers are perfect indicators of quality. But I say numbers indicate vehicles have acceptable quality if they are sold approximately at the same price as the competition. My question is why would people buy a manza or vista over a swift or a dzire if the quality is so bad as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Maybe. But atleast the Alto-user need not worry about his car 'n cabin catching fire. And guess what ? The Alto is 30-year old technology, but still reliable and safer than what is supposedly cutting-edge.
I only posted the above sentence in responce to your post saying nothing great about Nano's price. Nano is still a lot cheaper than it's nearest competitor. You are the one to go OT first and I respond to it you get back to the original topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nothing much, really.

The brother of the deceased in 1 of the reported cases alleges his brother was murdered (not a simple "car caught fire" case). The other guy was taking his car to be repaired, as per his family. What repair ? Anything serious enough to have caused the fire ? No idea.

In any case, IMO the reason these do not invoke interest in media/tbhp is because they are not new cars. So there could be a long string of reasons for the fire - improper LPG/CNG kit fitment, faulty wiring for accessories, etc etc
Not surprisingly your posts are based on imaginations. When it comes to Nano your imaginations are always negative and when it comes maruti always positive. I donot think that is co-incidence. First let me analyze two of your posts I pasted above. When I talked about alto's cheap interiors you say atleast alto doesnot catch fire. When I post a link about 800 and wagonR catching fire you say atleast they are not brand new. When other members write about brand new cars catching fire you won't care to respond. This is one good example of how you try to manipulate the post to suit your needs. One good example of how you read what you what to. One good example of what lenth you go to malign a brand. THe police say WagonR one is an accident, ruled out foul play in the second(M800) but you don't want to believe that. The car(wagon R) was not even driven when it caught fire. In both the accidents, drivers cannot open the doors, but you dont see anyting wrong there. Two people died in both the accidents but that's OK for you as the cars are not brand new. Fortunetly not many members share your school of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can you point where does the article say that the cars were brand new being driven out of the showroom?
RKG pointed about a brand new Merc catching fire. One member posted a link to a swift catching fire while being test driven. What do you say about that?

On an other note, does cars not being brand new give car makers imunity from prosecution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
An interesting article about the practicability of the Nano.

Parsi Khabargame-changer-the-tata-nano-story/

Game Changer: The TATA Nano Story | Parsi Khabar
THe best part of the article is:

"Next time Ratan Tata has an idea, don’t tell him it can’t be done"

Last edited by airbender : 6th May 2010 at 05:42.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:20   #495
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

@airbender, looks like after returning from vacation, you have loads of time on your hands. Anyway, I don't see any value in replying point-wise to your posts. Let's just say that be it a Nano or a Maruti or a Merc, a new car catching fire is not acceptable. That sums up my stand.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported vasoo Street Experiences 1156 17th August 2016 14:02
Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9 carzone Super-Cars & Imports in India 138 31st March 2015 13:28
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
Owner asks for Mercedes after parked Nano catches fire. EDIT : One more on page 5! lambuhere1 Street Experiences 87 28th February 2013 18:08
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks