Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th May 2010, 17:17   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@airbender, looks like after returning from vacation, you have loads of time on your hands. Anyway, I don't see any value in replying point-wise to your posts. Let's just say that be it a Nano or a Maruti or a Merc, a new car catching fire is not acceptable. That sums up my stand.
You have the freedom to respond or not. Saying I have loads of time is offending. I never post to pass time. I only post to make my opinion clear. If I were you I won't start anything if I cannot continue or end it.

Last edited by airbender : 6th May 2010 at 17:18.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 18:31   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
You have the freedom to respond or not. Saying I have loads of time is offending. I never post to pass time. I only post to make my opinion clear. If I were you I won't start anything if I cannot continue or end it.
That was not meant as offensive - you mentioned somewhere on this thread in a lighter vein about going on vacation, which was why I said that. Anyway...

About ending what I started, I think my last post has a response to all your individual sub-posts. A new car on fire is a no-no - be it a Maruti or Tata. I thought that clarified my position without going elaborate.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 12:19   #498
BHPian

Did any one read this? They do tend to throw some interesting questions.

Wheels of fire: The burning issue in Tata Motors - Forbes India -

An excerpt from the article:

"We also contacted an automobile expert-cum-rally driver who modifies his own cars and who prefers to remain anonymous. This man is rated very highly for knowledge on Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home , an online site that caters to automobile enthusiasts."

Any guesses?

nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 19:35   #499
BHPian

One instance of chevy beat catching fire when on test drive.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1881910
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 11:16   #500
Senior - BHPian

I have read in newspapers that Tata have called in experts from Jaguar to look into any design faults that have caused the fire, & suggest remedy thereof.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 13:25   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I have read in newspapers that Tata have called in experts from Jaguar to look into any design faults that have caused the fire, & suggest remedy thereof.
BTW, Nano has bagged another award, this time in US. Please refer the link-

Tata Nano bags gold prize trophy | Autocar India
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:28   #502
BHPian

the title is very disturbing. Everytime i log on its like a new nano is on fire. I understand that its a grave concern and completely unnacceptable for a brand new vehicle to be on fire but may be we should add the number of vehicles on the title. So incase more incidents come to light we can keep it updated.
chittybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 14:03   #503
Senior - BHPian

There is New Honda City burnt up in mysterious fire in which driver died , It could have been power window switch issue but surprisingly no one is up in arms.

I wrote sarcastically about Japanese quality in India which needs no recall and is absolutely bulletproof while in developed market they find fatal issues.

Nano burning makes good news while a Honda of Chevy burning is yet another car
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:35   #504
BHPian

Well I can't really comment on the NANO fires and wait for the outcome of the but investigation report by TATA Motors.

But one intersting observation about TATA DTC bus fires was that all the fire insidents happened in a span of one month, that too in winter season. There were no fires in the past two years and not one has been reported in the past 4-5 months, but as a result of these fires we are seening more new Ashok Leyland buses than TATA.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 21:11   #505
BHPian

Well, TATA have completed the investigation on the NANO fires. They have concluded that there is no design or manufacturing issue. They have concluded that the March 2010 fire accident was due to a foreign object in the exhaust.

Here is the content from Rediff.com: - Tatas complete probe into 'Nano' fire: Rediff.com Business

Quote:
Tata Motors on Friday claimed that its people's car was "absolutely safe", saying a probe into fires that gutted a couple of brand new 'Nanos' by an expert team found 'no manufacturing defects'.
"We have concluded a comprehensive investigation into the incidents of fire in two Tata Nano [ Images ]s. The investigation, conducted by a 20-member Tata Motors [ Get Quote ] Group team and an independent forensic expert, has reaffirmed that the Tata Nano is a safe car... "The investigations have also revealed that the incidents were not related," a Tata Motors' official said.
At the same time, the company offered to conduct pre-emptive checks on all 'Nanos' on the road, starting May 24, but clarified that this was not a recall.
Recalling the incidents, the company said that the fire in March 2010, shortly after a customer took delivery of the car, may have been caused by a foreign object in the exhaust system that its expert team found.
In the other case that happened in April, it was concluded that the car that was being driven to the dealership caught fire possibly due to a ruptured fuel line.
Citing these findings, the official emphatically ruled out allusions that there were any manufacturing defects.
The probe team drew experts from across Tata Motors group, including the Nano project team, passenger and commercial vehicles businesses, the Engineering Research Centre, the Tata Motors European Technical Centre, and Jaguar Land Rover [ Images ]. Besides, an independent forensic expert from the UK was part of the investigation, a company spokesperson said.
"It is important for us to reassure our customer base which is why we are planning to conduct a pre-emptive diagnostic check on all the cars with customers," he said, emphasising that these inspections do not constitute a recall.
Delivery of Nanos began in July 2009 and since then, more than 30,000 cars have been sold in the country.
The first composite plant for manufacturing Nano at Sanand in Gujarat is expected to be commissioned next month.
"The Tata Nano has undergone all the necessary validations before delivering to customers this includes more than 300 prototypes which together covered more than 2 million km of safe operation in all conditions," the company official said.
According to the spokesperson, "Each customer will be contacted personally for the check and we will be providing service free of cost, including additional protection, wherever required." Tata Motors is planning to roll out the initiative from May 24

Last edited by gshanky : 21st May 2010 at 21:12. Reason: removing the html tags
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 23:00   #506
Senior - BHPian

^^ Interesting.

However, I would have loved to see some more detail. What exactly is the foreign object in the exhaust? How did it cause a fire?

I hope Tata can share the exact findings, mainly because I have held the belief that these were one (or two ) off events, and that the Nano is a safe car.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:46   #507
BHPian

Post Tata Nano Fires: Root cause analysis complete. Cause for fire has been identified.

Tata Motors to inspect all Nanos :livemint.com

Tests were conducted by a 20-member internal team and an independent forensic expert to seek the causes of the fires

Shally Seth
Quote:
Mumbai: India’s largest auto maker by revenue,Tata Motors Ltd, on Friday said it will inspect all Nanos following two incidents in which the cars caught fire.

“Beginning 24 May, each owner will be individually contacted over the next few weeks to fix appointments for such inspections,” the company said in a release “These inspections would be provided free of cost to the customers.”

The company will, “where necessary, add additional protection to ensure the car’s safety”, it said without elaborating.

Tests were conducted by a 20-member internal team and an independent forensic expert to seek the causes of the fires. One of the incidents was attributable to the “remnants of a foreign object on the hot exhaust system”, while the second incident was because of a ruptured fuel line, Tata Motors said.

The inspections do not constitute a recall of the world’s cheapest car.

“Tata Motors assures all customers that the Tata Nano is a safe car, with a robust design and state-of-the-art components,” the company said. “The investigation reveals that the incidents in these two cars, which were being transported to or from dealers, were isolated instances and the reasons are unrelated. This further establishes the conclusion that the Tata Nano’s design is robust.”
Tata Motors to inspect all Nanos - Corporate News - livemint.com
anmol2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 06:53   #508
Team-BHP Support

Now that they have identified the cause of fire they should officially recall all the cars for checkup instead of trying to contact each and every customer.

Tata has already suffered huge reputation loss after all these Fire incidents. Even earlier they had a reputation of making unreliable cars but brand new cars catching fire has given them too much of negative publicity.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:08   #509
BHPian

Good to know they have identified the cause of fire, hope there are no more incidents.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:27   #510
Senior - BHPian

Good that the causes were identified. I am sure systems will be put in place to ensure that the incidents do not repeat.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2010 at 15:24. Reason: Merged. Thanks.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote