Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th June 2010, 23:57   #526
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the explaination from TATA has a commercial and financial impact bias to it. But hey I'm not a pessimist. A foreign object might have got in the exhaust and overheated and ... I leave it to your imagination. As far as I know, the vehicle will stop if it has a clogged or choked exhaust. But, yeah like someone pointed out, out of 30K nanos a few here and there does not make it a norm. Good post that.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 13:40   #527
BHPian

Nano superdrive has finished successfully. Kudos to Tatas.

'Tata Nano superdrive' ends in Mumbai - dnaindia.com

Quote:
Mumbai: Tata Motors' 'Nano Superdrive', which covered 15,000 kilometres in 26 days across India, concluded its journey here today.

The Superdrive, comprising nine 'Nanos', started from Sanand in Gujarat on June 2 to celebrate the inauguration of the plant that is manufacturing the world's cheapest car.
The cars, each festooned with a theme, travelled across 36 cities on three routes. The company organised a celebration ceremony for Nano owners in every city.
During their journey, prospective customers were given opportunity to drive the cars and were also informed about its features.

The Nanos were flagged in by Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata in the presence of Tata Motors Managing Director PM Telanga, Vice-Chairman Ravi Kant and other senior company officials.

Tata released a book, Tata Nano, on the occasion.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:34   #528
BHPian

Another nano catches fire.

Another Tata Nano catches fire in Delhi - Videos - Auto - IBNLive
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:36   #529
BHPian

Default 6th nano on fire

It's says 6th NANO on fire

Another Tata Nano catches fire in Delhi - Videos - Auto - IBNLive
alexrabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:44   #530
Senior - BHPian

Another report here. Wonder what this owner will ask. A Jag XJ maybe. The previous two asked for a Mercedes and a Linea. I thought Tata had done a recall to fix some issue near the engine.

Nano car catches fire in Delhi: India : India Today

Quote:
A Tata Nano car caught fire in south Delhi on Friday. Nobody was hurt in the incident as the fire was spotted in time.

According to eyewitnesses, the car standing in front of MCD office at Aurobindo Marg in Green Park went up in flames soon after the driver reported a spark from the rear side of the car as he tried to switch on the ignition.

Soon the spark turned into a fire and within minutes it was completely destroyed. Fire tenders were rushed to the spot but by the time they reached the car was badly damaged.

There have been several instances of fire in the Tata Motors' ambitious low-price car raising concerns about the passengers' safety.

However, Tata Motors has always assured its customers that Nano is perfectly safe. The company has carried out extensive investigation by a 20-member internal team and an autonomous forensic expert in the light of these incidents.

Last edited by Gilead : 27th August 2010 at 17:47.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:54   #531
BHPian

Dang! I have a Nano and I am scared looking at the video.

Time to get myself a fire extinguisher I guess :(
Monaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 19:52   #532
BHPian

Oh.These fire incidents do make me tensed! As Monaro said in the previous post, time to get myself a fire extinguisher! Sad. But the report given by FORBES (the link of which is there back 2 pages) seems pretty reasonable. But it does not not conclude on any particular solution or anything. Hope tata motors takes enough precautions here after so as to retain the company's reputation.
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 07:31   #533
Senior - BHPian

The fire should not start, in the first place. Having started, it should not spread so fast and engulf the whole car, as shown in the video. It leads to a feeling that the engine firewalling may not be adequate ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 12:14   #534
BHPian

Could it be sabotage or a ruptured fuel line?

The video though not very clear (because of the title blocking the view) shows some fuel underneath the car and what could be dripping of fuel. Not sure though.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 13:50   #535
Team-BHP Support

^^ The driver of the car says the fire started after he saw smoke coming out from the bonnet. Is there anything under the bonnet in Nano which has high risk of catching fire? Where is the battery ocated in Nano?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 13:54   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The driver of the car says the fire started after he saw smoke coming out from the bonnet. Is there anything under the bonnet in Nano which has high risk of catching fire? Where is the battery ocated in Nano?
Exactly, I have a sneaky feeling about a conspiracy. Anyway, the battery is under the driver's seat.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 13:57   #537
BHPian

There is actually nothing under the bonnet except for a spare tire, re-fueling tube and windscreen washer tube. Battery is located underneath the driver's seat.

I think it's a little premature to comment on the cause but an extinguisher is a must anyways!
Monaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 14:15   #538
Senior - BHPian

Its really strange how quickly the news channel was able to get video coverage as soon as the fire started and how isolated the car sits ensuring nothing else is in contact. If the news channel was able to get to the spot so quickly why not the fire authorities, rather than have a complete footage of the car burning. How can the driver see a spark on the rear side of the car when he starts it. There is something fishy about the whole video.

Even the headlines 'Cheap car, Cheap safety' and the language used by the presenters, you get the feeling there is some kind of agenda here!!

Last edited by shortbread : 28th August 2010 at 14:17.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 14:49   #539
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Its really strange how quickly the news channel was able to get video coverage as soon as the fire started and how isolated the car sits ensuring nothing else is in contact. If the news channel was able to get to the spot so quickly why not the fire authorities, rather than have a complete footage of the car burning. How can the driver see a spark on the rear side of the car when he starts it. There is something fishy about the whole video.

Even the headlines 'Cheap car, Cheap safety' and the language used by the presenters, you get the feeling there is some kind of agenda here!!
May be possible. Because these news channels never reach the place where cars from other companies catch fire

Last edited by rkg : 28th August 2010 at 14:57.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 15:28   #540
BHPian

Conspiracy? I don't think so. Even if it is a case of ruptured fuel line, as was claimed in a previous instance, why should it happen on a brand new vehicle?

The regularity with which the Nanos are catching fire is the one that is alarming. Other cars did catch fire . Agreed. But that is no solace to the existing NANO owners. Particularly when you hear such news once in a quarter.

I can empathise with the existing and prospective owners.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote