Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th August 2010, 15:22   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Sabotage by competitors resulting in Nanos going up in flames !!!
Hmm. Interesting... Quite some imagination at work there. And darn pretty wild one at that.

Given that everyone from Maruti, Bajaj, Naxals, the west, commies, Mamata etc etc figure in the list of possible-sabotagers, why leave out the pet hate of Indian politicians - ISI/Pakistan ? Actually, could be ISI+Taliban too - so that they can hit Indian economy/innovation. LOL.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th August 2010 at 15:28.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:11   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Sabotage by competitors resulting in Nanos going up in flames !!!
Hmm. Interesting... Quite some imagination at work there. And darn pretty wild one at that.

Given that everyone from Maruti, Bajaj, Naxals, the west, commies, Mamata etc etc figure in the list of possible-sabotagers, why leave out the pet hate of Indian politicians - ISI/Pakistan ? Actually, could be ISI+Taliban too - so that they can hit Indian economy/innovation. LOL.
-Osama whatshisname Suzuki made extremely dismissive and derogatory remarks about Tata and the Nano
-Sunita Narain and Pankaj Pachauri went on frenzied spree of nano-bashing, even before it was released.
-Bajaj has made anti-nano noises, and Ratan Tata also hinted at competitors involved in obstructing the nano factory project
-Violent protests took place in Singur, and majority of the 'protesters' were drawn from outside including Naxal type organizations.
-The whole idea of Nano met with racist contempt from most western auto journos and bloggers, till some of them actually took a test drive and found that it wasn't made of plastic and glued together, and wasn't a golf cart.

All the above are stuff that actually happened, not imagination.

Doesn't mean that any of those folks were burning Nanos, just that there could be vested interests (including mundane things like disappointed buyers trying to win insurance payouts) coupled with TV channel sensationalism that could be blowing these incidents out of proportion.

ISI/Pakistan involvement of course, sounds like imagination, and you were the one doing the imagining.

Last edited by chncar : 30th August 2010 at 16:14.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:12   #558
Senior - BHPian

@SB-
You cannot rule out competitors involvement. There are companies who do these in India to their competitors, I know few. :-). One of them is a market leader
who enjoys 80%+ market share in India.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:27   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

@chncar, every new idea will have those that appreciate it and those that abhor it. But to say that anyone who voices an "against" opinion is a saboteur is stretching things a bit too far.

BTW, Ms.Narain was also up in arms against Coca-Cola. So if a Coke-unit happens to go up in flames, would she be the suspect ?

Heck, if you can suggest that a Cabinet minister of India is out burning Nanos, what is so imaginative about the ISI doing it ? You forget that you started the imagination.

@Latheesh, not sure which domain you are referring to and I am sure you know what you are talking about. But I doubt reputed manufacturers like Bajaj/MSIL would resort to such tactics. Mr.Suzuki did put his foot down his throat by saying that the Nano is not feasible, but saying that he or MSIL would try to burn Nanos is well...

We have repeat instances of a particular car burning and then we have excuses like it is the supplier to blame, its a sabotage, it is not the manufaturers fault etc. I mean, there are hundreds of parts that go into a car made by different suppliers, but in what name does the car go out as ? Does it go as a Tata / Ford / Maruti or as a Lucas / Girling / Fenner car ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th August 2010 at 16:35.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:57   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Latheesh, not sure which domain you are referring to and I am sure you know what you are talking about. But I doubt reputed manufacturers like Bajaj/MSIL would resort to such tactics. Mr.Suzuki did put his foot down his throat by saying that the Nano is not feasible, but saying that he or MSIL would try to burn Nanos is well...

We have repeat instances of a particular car burning and then we have excuses like it is the supplier to blame, its a sabotage, it is not the manufaturers fault etc. I mean, there are hundreds of parts that go into a car made by different suppliers, but in what name does the car go out as ? Does it go as a Tata / Ford / Maruti or as a Lucas / Girling / Fenner car ?
Well I think Latheesh is referring to FMCG space it is an open secret.

By the way few pages back I posted a new-york times link on what Toyota did to an activist and and ex-automobile engineer who found faults with the gas pedal in Japan years before it was noticed in U.S.A , So I don't think there are saints sitting at top management of reputed automobile manufacturers either.

About fires in mass produced cars in India this thread has fire incidence in Honda in India which killed one person. While in other countries they acknowledged that there is issue with power window. In India they did not recall.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 17:25   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
About fires in mass produced cars in India this thread has fire incidence in Honda in India which killed one person. While in other countries they acknowledged that there is issue with power window. In India they did not recall.
I can vouch for this. My landlord's Honda was recalled for this issue with the power window (he owns a Fit aka the Jazz) design. I actually opened the "recall notice".
This design was common to other Honda cars, and they recalled these cars in North America.

However, there is nothing to be gained by pointing fingers at the competition's mistakes, the need of the hour is an investigation and a report as soon as possible (I understand that with a burnt car, this is going to be hard). There is a reason why I think these fire related incidents don't add up. I happen to know the amount of testing that has been done (atleast a good estimate) on the Nano, and any design issue was bound to crop up during the extensive testing. Note, I say "design issue" specifically.

Like SupremeBaleno said, there is always a chance that the odd supplier goofed up on a part.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 17:26   #562
BHPian

All mass produced cars have incidents of fire in the past and not just in India but across the globe. They just haven't been as publicized as Nano fire.

Here are few photographs that I got off Google. Just type in 'Car Fire'and see for yourself that Cars catching fire isn't a Tata or Nano problem alone.

Name:  BMW car fire 1.JPG
Views: 3134
Size:  73.6 KB
BMW

Tata Nano Fire Incidents. EDIT: Tata's analysis on page 34-prius_a123.jpg
The safe and reliable Toyota Prius!

Name:  ldh1.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  25.4 KB
Maruti Esteem, Ludhiana - June 22, 2007 (The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - LUDHIANA)

Name:  Maruti 800 car.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  57.5 KB
Maruti Again - this time people's car - 800
Maruti 800 car, Feature Photo, FIRE FURY: A Maruti 800 car ca...
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 17:51   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well I think Latheesh is referring to FMCG space it is an open secret.
Yes I was referring FMCG and other sectors not auto. Those companies are in the league of TATA/BAJAJ/MARUTI when it comes to reputation. If they can do such things, we cannot rule out competitors involvement in this case.

Last edited by Latheesh : 30th August 2010 at 17:53.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 18:15   #564
BHPian

Quote:
@chncar, every new idea will have those that appreciate it and those that abhor it. But to say that anyone who voices an "against" opinion is a saboteur is stretching things a bit too far.

BTW, Ms.Narain was also up in arms against Coca-Cola. So if a Coke-unit happens to go up in flames, would she be the suspect ?

Heck, if you can suggest that a Cabinet minister of India is out burning Nanos, what is so imaginative about the ISI doing it ? You forget that you started the imagination.
You are missing my point completely, and taking it literally. All I am saying is that there are powerful vested interests at work, and if not actually staging the fire, they are very well capable of buying adverse publicity especially since most of our so-called reputed media outlets can basically be rented by the highest bidder.

Again, I did not mention Mamta, my reference to Singur was in the context that there appeared to be a lot of 'professional agitators' employed and it is not inconceivable that they were funded by some corporate interests. But since you mention politicians and ministers, I am sure you are aware that there are a lot of MPs with criminal records, union minsters have been jailed for corruption, and most of the henious crimes done have political links or protection. So I don't really get your logic that being a politician/minister makes one beyond reproach, though at no point in time was I referring to Mamta or anybody in the current cabinet.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:48   #565
Senior - BHPian

A very useful link on what to do when a car catches fire, including advice on fire extinguisher use :

Vehicle fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the link says, the engine firewall is supposed to take protect the occupants in case of engine fires. As mentioned in my previous post, I do not understand how the fire could have engulfed the entire car so quickly, if there is a firewall

Last edited by mooza : 30th August 2010 at 18:51.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 19:25   #566
BANNED

I feel very sorry for Nano who is facing problems right from its development to birth and now after birth. The car which enjoyed star status until now is garnering attention for very wrong reasons. The people who were more interested in its mileage and driveability until now are now thanking their Gods for not being part of fiery Nanoes. IMHO the cause only lies in less than perfect R&D at Tata, who is famous for problems in its entire product range. So much for one lakh and the dream behind it and the people who were a part of the accidents. Is there nobody in India who can question them Yeh aag kab bujhegi?
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 19:42   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
-Osama whatshisname Suzuki made extremely dismissive and derogatory remarks about Tata and the Nano

Hey, you got that name all mixed up! Osamu Suzuki is the man you want, not Osama bin whatshisname!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 20:44   #568
BHPian

This thread is born again.

I have posted lot of links regarding cars catching fire on this thread. One among them, a chevy beat catching fire within two months of launch. Please care to answer these questions:
1. Why media never covered this: Leave about hyping up to the level it was done in nano's case, media never covered this. WHY?
2. Why did the so-called well-informed, expert, un-baised t-bhpians did not care to post on this. WHY?

@blue pulsar: 3 nanos out off 50K+ doesnot make it a design issue.

Nano catching fire is a problem but don't single out nano. So many other cars catch fire but media never overs them. Did anyone care to find out if the owner of this nano got his fuel pipie changed. If not, he has some blame to share.

Impact of this story: A layman thinks nano is the only car in the world to catch fire.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 22:57   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Hey, you got that name all mixed up! Osamu Suzuki is the man you want, not Osama bin whatshisname!

Saar, I was just showing him the same contempt that he had for the Nano/Tata.
Osamu Suzuki – Finding the Nano hard to swallow | Indian Autos blog
Print Article - Tata gives blame-game a miss at Nano launch
Old 30th August 2010, 23:49   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
All mass produced cars have incidents of fire in the past and not just in India but across the globe. They just haven't been as publicized as Nano fire.

Here are few photographs that I got off Google. Just type in 'Car Fire'and see for yourself that Cars catching fire isn't a Tata or Nano problem alone.

Attachment 415602
BMW

Attachment 415605
The safe and reliable Toyota Prius!

Attachment 415603
Maruti Esteem, Ludhiana - June 22, 2007 (The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - LUDHIANA)

Attachment 415604
Maruti Again - this time people's car - 800
Maruti 800 car, Feature Photo, FIRE FURY: A Maruti 800 car ca...
Very easy to copy paste Google Image search! Well, do you know how many of these had after market fitments? (ICE, LPG/CNG kit etc.)

All the burning Nanos were bone stock!
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote