Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st August 2010, 00:05   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
True, the fire doesn't care if it's Tata's fault or there is something else to blame. But then, why should Tata be held responsible?

I appreciate it if you could clarify this point, this seems like a contradiction to the point made above. If we do not have to blame Tata for a bad ICE installation leading to a fire, then why do we have to blame them if this is the handiwork of a competitor (or Naxals, Mamata Banerjee and so on)?
There's no contradiction here. If I get my ICE installation done from outside after I drive out the car from the showroom and the car catches fire due to faulty ICE installation, its not Tata's fault. And why are we assuming that its a handiwork of a competitor? Let someone prove it and I'll not blame Tata for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I am sorry, but you are talking nonsense here.

The first three incidents were not fires, but a faulty part. Tata went to a different supplier.

The fuel lines are not made by Tata. However, 3 cars on fire with 2 of them with a raptured fuel line is such a low percentage.
Oh common dude, its not me, its you who is talking non-sense here. Don't know how long you have been on t-bhp but personal attacks are not appreciated on this forum.

You should understand that you are buying the whole car from Tata. Its not like you're buying parts and assembling it into a car. Will Tata fit in any part that the manufacturers give them. What is QC doing? Now you want to tell me that its only the QC person's fault, not Ratan Tata's. Who cares?

Anyways, all the best to existing and prospective owners.

I'm all done with what I had to say. Don't want to argue more on this case.
blue_pulsar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:33   #572
BHPian

My thoughts:

1) I do believe that there is some element of doubt with regards to the fire incidents in nano and the coverage by the media outlets.
2) I am afraid that there is more to come if TATA does not attend to the source of these issues. If I were TATA I would hire a private investigating team to find out what is really going on if internal investigations did not reveal a quality / design concern.
3) If I were a customer, it is also not a bad idea to hire a separate PDI (pre-delivery inspector) to lookout for any potential "fire-causing" issues in a car. There is a business opportunity here
4) I wish this thread name is changed to something along the lines of "Automobile fire incidents in India" similar to the accidents thread so that even fire incidents from other cars are properly tracked and given the due crap.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 11:59   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R
Well, do you know how many of these had after market fitments? (ICE, LPG/CNG kit etc.) All the burning Nanos were bone stock!
Exactly. Posting some pics off the internet without knowing either the background of the burning car or its age does not mean much. In this thread we are discussing new and stock Nanos.

Also, when discussing a new car (in this case the Nano) catching fire straight from the dealers, it does not make the issue any less serious by saying that :
- There are 1000s of snaps on the net of cars-on-fire
- Competitors are responsible for the fires
- Toyotas were recalled in US for gas-pedal issue
- A Beat caught fire somewhere

What Tata needs to do is identify the cause and fix it. Period.

Also I find it funny when people say that the media is biased against Tata/Nanos and report only nano-fires, because :
1) without the lavish coverage from the same media from the concept/idea stage itself, the Nano would not have been so popular.
2) for the media, any car burning is the same - a news opportunity. If Altos or Figos start burning tomorrow, they would report it as they did the Nano-fires.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 12:25   #574
Senior - BHPian

I have just one question in the latest case. Whether the latest Burning Nano was a used one or driven from the showroom like the much publicised showroom?

I do not want the answer for myself, but need you to check the case in detail & then post any sort of opinion (good or bad/ favourable or against).

Even I am yet to investigate, but, what appears that the car was used to some extent (i.e. not a brand new one). It is quite possible that there could be any after market fitments in the cars installed at the option of the owner. These could have very well caused the fire.

Nonetheless, Delhiites have a tendency to show-off & status conscious, & with the owner being a lawyer (i.e. in a public dealing profession), it is quite possible that there ought to be some sub-standard after market fitments in the car.

Anyway lets check out the facts in this case, rather than being hypocritical for nothing.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 14:29   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
- A Beat caught fire somewhere
The beat was new and stock and also one new Honda which burnt near chennai in which one person was killed was new so the comparison of the media coverage on similar issues.
Honda recall in other countries for power window issue causing fire comes to mind due to above incidence.
Quote:

Also I find it funny when people say that the media is biased against Tata/Nanos and report only nano-fires, because :
1) without the lavish coverage from the same media from the concept/idea stage itself, the Nano would not have been so popular.
2) for the media, any car burning is the same - a news opportunity. If Altos or Figos start burning tomorrow, they would report it as they did the Nano-fires.
Not exactly other burning cars in India don't make same kind of news ( there are cases I think posted on same thread ). Honda burning or beat burning did not made the news.

It is the star status of 1 lakh car which gives eyeballs to the channels.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 15:16   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The beat was new and stock and also one new Honda which burnt near chennai in which one person was killed was new so the comparison of the media coverage on similar issues.
Honda recall in other countries for power window issue causing fire comes to mind due to above incidence.
Nope. The Honda was not new. It was a NHC which in all probability would atleast be 3 years old. And the Beat was a TD vehicle.

The guy who was killed in the Honda was a businessman and there is some conspiracy linked to how he was killed. Let's not get there.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 15:32   #577
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I had mentioned this earlier:
During the nineties, some half a dozen spanking new Daewoo Ceilo cars went up in smoke due to what was later determined as a faulty wiring harness, the occupants escaping death by the skin of their teeth. I don't remember seeing this much antagonism in the media then. And their numbers (production/sales) were nowhere near those of the nanos.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 15:44   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nope. The Honda was not new. It was a NHC which in all probability would atleast be 3 years old. And the Beat was a TD vehicle.

The guy who was killed in the Honda was a businessman and there is some conspiracy linked to how he was killed. Let's not get there.

3 year old vehicle does not mean that manufacturing defect can not cause fire and death. Honda decided to recall 3 year old model quite late in India on Jan 30 , 2010. By this time atleast few peope have charred to death in 2 incidences in India.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-hazard.html (Honda to recall '07 NHC in India (potential fire hazard))

There were many incidences on this same model including this one
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...onda-city.html (fire in a car in South Delhi...Honda City)

In any other developed market regulators and law enforcement agencies would have forced them to compensate the affected people and award punitive damages.Most propbably Chennai incidence is being brused aside as conspiracy untill someone pins them down.

Disclaimed by bringing this honda incidence I am not saying Tata should not fix things in nano ,but what I meant to say that being a cheap 1 lakh car it gets more media attention then a 10 lakh best selling model in market.

And that is why I picked Honda city model over other examples such as a Hyundai i10 burning or Getz burning and owners not being compensated.

Just compare reactions of BHPians on this thread and Honda recall and fire incidence threads. Why almost no discussion or outrage there.
It is obvious nano makes good news.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 16:10   #579
Senior - BHPian

I am not for one moment questioning that if the Nano has a defect which is causing fires then Tata is fully accountable for resolving them and providing compensation for the damage caused.

But the issue I have is the legitimacy of the reports. The driver seeing sparks in the back of the car when he started it, how is that even possible. As soon as a fire broke out there was a news camera crew ready to tape the whole incident and they waited patiently for the fire to go about its business and made sure everyone sees the full car is gutted. Even the whole report does not imply on any possibilities but rather confirm that all Nanos will catch fire.

And Yes, Honda's had their share of fire hazards as well, in the Jazz no less, there were casualties followed by a recall of 646k cars.
BBC News - Honda recalls cars in fire danger
Now Honda faces recall crisis - Scotsman.com News
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 18:00   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't remember seeing this much antagonism in the media then.
Talk about technological advancements like the Internet!
Old 31st August 2010, 20:12   #581
BHPian

When I took my nano for the second service at 5000 kms, the service centre has replaced the fuel line under warranty. The car was not having any problem. When asked, the service centre told that there were some complaints reported on the rupture of the fuel line in a few cars and hence they are replacing the same of all cars with a heavy duty one. So, I think tata is taking action to prevent any such incidents.

As a Nano customer, I expect Tata to explain the customer about the action being taken by Tata to prevent further incidents. For example, in my case, rather than tata service centre 'silently' doing it, they could have informed me that they are replacing the fuel line with a heavy-duty one to rule out any rare chance of fire hazard.

I think, TATA'S ATTEMPT TO DO THE CORRECTIVE MEASURES WITHOUT COMMUNICATING PROPERLY TO THE CUSTOMERS IS DOING MUCH MORE HARM TO TATA. My question to tata is that how such a well-managed company trying to do a wrong way of doing things ?
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 20:40   #582
BHPian

Question to DRIV3R, supremeBaleno, bluepulsar: There are other car fire threads on this forum. How many did you care to post. Please enlighten us.

Quote:
In this thread we are discussing new and stock Nanos.
The third incident is not of a new nano. Somewhere it was mentioned it has 3400 km on odo.

Quote:
Exactly. Posting some pics off the internet without knowing either the background of the burning car or its age does not mean much.
The media posted the pics and people like you start blasting. Does anyone of you know the background of the burning car.

Quote:
What Tata needs to do is identify the cause and fix it. Period.
Everyone is saying the same. But the only difference is we say all auto makers and you say tata.

Quote:
for the media, any car burning is the same - a news opportunity. If Altos or Figos start burning tomorrow, they would report it as they did the Nano-fires.
I posted a beat catching fire months back. Other t-bhpians talked about other cars catching fire on this thread. So some reason media didnot cover them. In the case of beat I also posted a picture. Care to explain why media missed those.

Do anyone know if the owner got the fuel pipe in the third nano replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
And why are we assuming that its a handiwork of a competitor? Let someone prove it and I'll not blame Tata for it.
In a country where even the bhopal tragedy cannot be proven for 3 decades, you expect this to be proven. keep day dreaming. On the other note, do you think singur incident was a conspiracy or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Talk about technological advancements like the Internet!
Incidents like the one gansan mentioned happened in the age of internet also. But never attached to hype and sensationalism associated with nano.

Last edited by airbender : 31st August 2010 at 20:46.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 21:35   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
A very useful link on what to do when a car catches fire, including advice on fire extinguisher use :

Vehicle fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the link says, the engine firewall is supposed to take protect the occupants in case of engine fires. As mentioned in my previous post, I do not understand how the fire could have engulfed the entire car so quickly, if there is a firewall
Very useful link. Kindly notice the statement :
"On average, there is a vehicle fire every 96 seconds in the United States."
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 21:43   #584
Senior - BHPian

Ah, there you are! Any TATA thread and you are all over

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Question to DRIV3R, supremeBaleno, bluepulsar: There are other car fire threads on this forum. How many did you care to post. Please enlighten us.
We might not have cared to post because those cars
  • were not brand new
  • were not stock/with stock wiring
  • are from a reputed international brand which, are said to have better manufacturing expertise and product quality
  • didn't undergo any massive cost cutting measures
  • didn't create that much of a hype (+ve) before their launch, so as to pay attention later when such a hyped product didn't live up to it's expectations

Quote:
I posted a beat catching fire months back. Other t-bhpians talked about other cars catching fire on this thread. So some reason media didnot cover them. In the case of beat I also posted a picture.
U didn't. GTO did, in the Accidents thread! I had posted there even. May you please take a look after wiping out TATA from your eyes?

Quote:
Care to explain why media missed those.
Explained already. No other car created such a hype worldwide even before launch. A car that is hyped so much better be clean.

Quote:
Do anyone know if the owner got the fuel pipe in the third nano replaced?
Why should we? It's the manufacturer's sole responsibility to save it's @$$ by making frantic recalls and ensuring that all's fine.

Quote:
Incidents like the one gansan mentioned happened in the age of internet also. But never attached to hype and sensationalism associated with nano.
Internet was there but not as popular as it is now. Now a days, even Grannies Google.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 31st August 2010 at 21:57. Reason: Spell check!
Old 1st September 2010, 02:04   #585
BHPian

Hyundai Genesis with less than 800 miles on odometer in flames :-

Following is a site dedicated to some 500 incidents of fires in Ford vehicles, remember some of these fires led to death of occupants. :-

Ford Fire Recall: Update on Ford Fire Recall

Following is 911 call of a family driving a Toyota which was accelerating out of control, all these people died.

Few months back GM recalled millions of its vehicles, following text is from a story reporting on that recall :-

Quote:
GM said that a total of five fire incidents have been reported so far that also include those that occurred when the car was left unattended. However the company isn’t aware of any injuries or crashes.
GM Recalls 1.5 Million Vehicles over Fire Risk

So how many of TeamBHPians have stopped using Hyundai, Ford, GM and Toyota vehicles ?

Keep in mind that most of these companies have had lot more incidents than Tata had till now with 3 incidents of fires.

Sweeping these incidents under the carpet won't help, but hyping it up is sending a poor message globally about Indian products, engineering capability.....

For some perspective I haven't come across a single article on brand new genesis fire incident, but remember reading hundreds of article when Mr Sawant's Nano caught fire which was first such incident.

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 1st September 2010 at 02:10.
anmol2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote