Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st September 2010, 09:04   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Talk about technological advancements like the Internet!
Nothing is there to talk about either internet or technology.

But there is a lot to talk about paid bloggers and paid news
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 10:01   #587
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Question to DRIV3R, supremeBaleno, bluepulsar: There are other car fire threads on this forum. How many did you care to post. Please enlighten us.

The third incident is not of a new nano. Somewhere it was mentioned it has 3400 km on odo.

The media posted the pics and people like you start blasting. Does anyone of you know the background of the burning car.

Everyone is saying the same. But the only difference is we say all auto makers and you say tata.

I posted a beat catching fire months back. Other t-bhpians talked about other cars catching fire on this thread. So some reason media didnot cover them. In the case of beat I also posted a picture. Care to explain why media missed those.

Incidents like the one gansan mentioned happened in the age of internet also. But never attached to hype and sensationalism associated with nano.
Exactly my points as well. Well articulated.

I have even at this moment got a quotation from an internet blogging agency for boosting a Brand name to more visibility on the internet.
So why would this not be possible in the -ve sense for a competitor to manage for comptitive or political gains.

TATA is not a brand that takes things lightly, have suddenly seen the TATA sumo issue thread being bumped up as soon as there is news that TATA has been recognised as the second most trusted brand in India just behind Suzuki. Why was that thread silent for the last 6 months and is active only today? Is that not a form of -ve blogging?

Yes these are very pointed remarks, but these are my personal views. Just as those posting -ve remarks on the other threads post their comments as personal comments not with the disclaimer - not meant to offend other sensibilities. I too have faced lots of issues with my TATA Safari over the last 10 years- design issues - but that does not imply that one should just go about defacing the brand, out here one gets what one pays for in general unless one is buying a CBU. TATA offeres VFM features, decent looks and a class higher space promise and holds true to that.

If TATA did not bother about safety or wished to compromise on it to save money, why would it even bother to make the expenses on NCAP Safety tests for all it's vehicles from the Safari to the Aria. Why should they be launching the Aria crossover with 4 disk brakes while the even the 20L Toyota fortuner comes with disks only the front. Why plan for 6 airbags in the Aria - again a first in class feature or for that matter ABS, ESP, TC, etc.

The Safari came with Airbags and ABS, long before any other SUV costing less than 15L had one.

In short yes 50% of the buyers of the country today are Maurti owners - a company that also holds true to it's promise of lowest cost of ownership for petrol vehicles, and highest kmpl. And the buyers would be loyal to that brand in general and this is fine, TATA has been in no mans land and has been trying to make in roads for mindshare of buyers of budget vechiles as well as premium (read larger) vechicles, it is a hard battle to fight across the board especially if as a company you are not prepared to bribe the politicians and what to just use your name to get work done.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 10:01   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talk about technological advancements like the Internet!
The www very much existed in the late nineties. But I am talking about the prtint media and TV.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 10:03   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
But there is a lot to talk about paid bloggers and paid news
Go ahead. We are waiting.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 10:59   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I have even at this moment got a quotation from an internet blogging agency for boosting a Brand name to more visibility on the internet.
So why would this not be possible in the -ve sense for a competitor to manage for comptitive or political gains.
One question to all staunch TATA fanboys out there. Should I take names just like airbender did? Not necessary i guess.

You question us as to why we did not post in other car fire threads, while some of us actually did. Now pray tell me, why didn't you guys think of all the possibilities of sabotage or conspiracy or negative marketing in those instances? First of all, did you all bother to post in those threads?

Quote:
I too have faced lots of issues with my TATA Safari over the last 10 years- design issues - but that does not imply that one should just go about defacing the brand, out here one gets what one pays for in general unless one is buying a CBU.
Like I already said, TATA needs more of loyalists like you.

Quote:
If TATA did not bother about safety or wished to compromise on it to save money, why would it even bother to make the expenses on NCAP Safety tests for all it's vehicles from the Safari to the Aria.
Dude, crash test safety is different from cars catching fire mysteriously. You ask why, maybe for marketing? Ever seen the rear windscreen of an i20?

Quote:
Why should they be launching the Aria crossover with 4 disk brakes while the even the 20L Toyota fortuner comes with disks only the front.
Hold on mate. Let it launch first. Even an i20 has rear discs, what do you say about that. Move on.

Quote:
The Safari came with Airbags and ABS, long before any other SUV costing less than 15L had one.
And so, TATA Nanos can catch fire. Case closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The www very much existed in the late nineties. But I am talking about the prtint media and TV.
Why do you guys keep ignoring the worldwide hype created even before launch of the Nano? All eyes were set on the Nano, and yes, if such a hyped car catches fire, there would be this much of hoopla.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:01   #591
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We might not have cared to post because those cars
  • were not brand new
  • were not stock/with stock wiring
  • are from a reputed international brand which, are said to have better manufacturing expertise and product quality
  • didn't undergo any massive cost cutting measures
  • didn't create that much of a hype (+ve) before their launch, so as to pay attention later when such a hyped product didn't live up to it's expectations
Thumb rule

Reputed international brands does not always guarantee quality product ( more so in INDIA where there is literally no effective consumer protection)

Do you mean to say Toyota/Honda etc are producing better quality cars in India than in USA?
(USA has very effective consumer protection by means of TORTS and Class action suits compared to INDIA)

Then why no recalls in INDIA when millions of their cars are being recalled in USA?

If Toyota is ultimate in quality , then why millions of their cars ( not one or two) are having problems continuously for the last 5-6 years.

what happened to famed Toyota QC?

Or we have to take it as standard that Millions of a product can be defective but not 6 in 30,000

See today's news papers where High court rapped Pepsi for using expired ingredients in its foods division.( Pototo chips) PEPSI is also an reputed international brand in its field. Can pepsi imagine doing it USA or UK. The company has no calms in using expired products in human foods in INDIA.

This much for the so called reputed international brands and their quality control
HC raps Pepsico over use of stale ingredients: Rediff.com Business

"Pepsico lawyer, senior counsel Janak Dwarkadas argued that even under the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, a food item does not become 'adulterated' merely because it is past 'best before' date"

we can only imagine how much media would have hyped the issue if the company were to be TATA TEA

Last edited by rkg : 1st September 2010 at 11:04.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 11:35   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
Just compare reactions of BHPians on this thread and Honda recall and fire incidence threads. Why almost no discussion or outrage there.
You mentioned 2 Honda fire incidences, which are on the NHC, which IIRC sold around 3.5K monthly for what 4-5 years. That is like 2lakh cars of which 2 caught fire. Compare that to the Nano fire incidents in just 30K cars sold. Maybe that could be why so much discussion on Nano as opposed to honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
Question to DRIV3R, supremeBaleno, bluepulsar: There are other car fire threads on this forum. How many did you care to post. Please enlighten us.
Saar, there are thousands of threads on the forum. If I have to read and respond to each of them, I won't have time for anything else. Like everyone else, I choose my threads based on what interests me, which is mostly small cars or sedans upto 10lakhs. I am not interested in what usually are luxury marquees or performance brands. Hope this enlightens your curiousity.

Quote:
The third incident is not of a new nano. Somewhere it was mentioned it has 3400 km on odo.
Hmm. 3.4K kms is just out of running-in period, boss. What do you think it should be called ? An old car ?

Quote:
Everyone is saying the same. But the only difference is we say all auto makers and you say tata.
Well, this thread is about burning Nanos & AFAIK Tata makes the Nano and so I don't see any reason why other car-makers should rectify problems with the Nano.

Quote:
In the case of beat I also posted a picture. Care to explain why media missed those.
This is real funny. Asking us why the media missed some news. Who knows, man ? You should check with the media.

Quote:
On the other note, do you think singur incident was a conspiracy or not.
What you think of as a conspiracy has another angle to it in the view of other people - that of fertile land being taken over for industry. In that case, I would be inclined to support the eviction of industry from such land, be it of Tata or MSIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
TATA sumo issue thread being bumped up as soon as there is news that TATA has been recognised as the second most trusted brand in India just behind Suzuki. Why was that thread silent for the last 6 months and is active only today? Is that not a form of -ve blogging?
Not sure how you see a strong connect between a thread being active with Tata being ranked 2nd, which is in all probability mere coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
Its a good thing to have safety features. And something others could emulate. But the main issue with Tata vehicles is not about lack of features, but the niggles and issues seen in new vehicles. Given that you mentioned issues with your Safari, I dont see a reason to point you to the other threads about Safari issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
it is a hard battle to fight across the board especially if as a company you are not prepared to bribe the politicians and what to just use your name to get work done.
Maybe they could start off with making reliable vehicles and the buyers would follow. Simpler than blaming bribing, buyers, market etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 12:49   #593
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets look at a different approach.

Yes the media has covered 3 Nano's catching fire (under not so clean circumstances) - Alleged Deaths due to it = 0
Yes the media has covered Toyota's having a braking issue. Deaths reported / implied = any guesses - 37 alleged deaths. Do check out the link below

2009?2010 Toyota vehicle recalls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So does the global giant have a bigger fault case?

It's easy to call some one an XYZ fanboy but then there are others who are XYZ critics, who blindly (or rather with the first available excuse) blame specific brands.

I guess if end results matter than Toyota was forced to go for a recall and was indicted by US courts for putting cars with defects on to the road while being aware of safety shortfalls.

TATA on it's own conducted an enquiry and has gone about replacing all fuel lines, rather than waiting for a court verdict.

And yet will reiterate that while the there are smaller lower cost cars with disks all around the Aria would be the first SUV below 20L to have it.

NCAP testing can be marketing hoopla, but have we observed too many advts about the Safari talking about safety and stressing on the Airbags. It's just a section in the brouchures - leading one to conclude that this is not an attempt at marketing but a serious concern for safety.

A lot of americans buy GM /Ford vechicles rather than Toyota or Honda just because they are american brands, I do see nothing wrong in that, and in TATA having a similar fan following for similar reasons.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:21   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not too much into the Toyota-US episode, but as I read it, it was about the A-pedal getting stuck, leading to cars crashing. Not a good situation to be in, I agree.

But again look at Toyota-India where they sell a range of cars - did we see this incident happening here ? We have many Toyota-users on the forum - did anyone have this (or any such serious) problem with their car ? None that I remember reading about. Given that tbhp is more about the Indian automotive scene, would we bother about the quality of Toyota in India or about the US ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
TATA on it's own conducted an enquiry and has gone about replacing all fuel lines, rather than waiting for a court verdict.
With all the -ve hoopla about the Nano-fires, I would think Tata did not need a court verdict to contain the damage asap. And talking of court verdicts, there are atleast 2 court cases on the forum involving Tata vehicles, where clearly the product quality was suspect, yet needed judicial intervention for Tata to address the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
A lot of americans buy GM /Ford vechicles rather than Toyota or Honda just because they are american brands, I do see nothing wrong in that, and in TATA having a similar fan following for similar reasons.
No issues about Tata fan following. I have an American colleague in the states who will buy only American cars. And again there is my American ex-manager who has a Lexus and complains about its quality. As per him, "The damn thing is 5 years old and does not give me even a single problem which I could use as an excuse to trade it in for a newer car".

I would rather buy a product for its quality than due to it being made by a company from my country.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:06   #595
BHPian

Quote:
We might not have cared to post because those cars
  • were not brand new
  • are from a reputed international brand which, are said to have better manufacturing expertise and product quality
The beat I talked about is brand new(LESS THAN TWO MONTHS OLD). So what if it's a internationaly reputed brand. Does that mean it's Ok for those people to get burned in a honda. Toyota being investigated in US. Mazda whose executives got jail and pepsi(rkg's post) are reputed international brands. Add these banks which failed in the credit crisis. Even bhopal tragedy happened under a international brand. Look at the nuclear liability act just passed in the parlament. THe suppliers do not want any liability for supplying the equipment to the plants. They even lobbied the UPA government to write the act in their favour. And those suppliers are reputed international brands also.

Quote:
U didn't. GTO did, in the Accidents thread! I had posted there even. May you please take a look after wiping out TATA from your eyes?
GTO posted it on the accidents thread and I talked about it on this thread. Well, it's not important who posted it. The issue hear is did you hear the media talk about it at all. Also, many of t-bhpians talked about some new cars catching fire. Why did the media not talk about them.

Quote:
Explained already. No other car created such a hype worldwide even before launch. A car that is hyped so much better be clean.
Strange argument. I thought we live in a democracy where everything is equal.

Quote:
Why should we? It's the manufacturer's sole responsibility to save it's @$$ by making frantic recalls and ensuring that all's fine.
What if the dealer made the call and the owner did not respond.

Quote:
Internet was there but not as popular as it is now. Now a days, even Grannies Google.
The Beat thing happened some months back when even grannies google.

Quote:
Ah, there you are! Any TATA thread and you are all over
It would make sense if you stop making silly comments like this and talk something sensible. If you read your above posts you can see it yourself not answering to the my posts but talking irrelavent. Is it really important if it's GTO or me who posted about the beat fire incident. THe point I wanted to convey is why media missed it. Same with the fuel pipe replacement. I asked if the owner got it replaced and you say it;s manufacturers responcibility. Manufacturers responcibility is to change it for free but it's the owners responcibility to take the car to the dealer and get it changed. Clearly you are only interested in bashing the maker. Use some logic in your posts.

As long as people like you keep posting negatively about only one maker expect to see people like me to cleanup the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Saar, there are thousands of threads on the forum. If I have to read and respond to each of them, I won't have time for anything else. Like everyone else, I choose my threads based on what interests me, which is mostly small cars or sedans upto 10lakhs. I am not interested in what usually are luxury marquees or performance brands. Hope this enlightens your curiousity.
Beats, I-10s catching fire are small cars too. There are several threads or posts covering those small cars or sedans upto 10 lakhs but you are clearly missing on those threads. But only thing catching your attention is nano. Everytime we talk about this you always come with an excuse.

Quote:
Hmm. 3.4K kms is just out of running-in period, boss. What do you think it should be called ? An old car ?
Not to say 3.4k or 34k car can catch fire. Even beat is only two month old car. WHy does that not bother you?

Quote:
Well, this thread is about burning Nanos & AFAIK Tata makes the Nano and so I don't see any reason why other car-makers should rectify problems with the Nano.
You are missing the point here. Just as you expect Tata to fix nano we expect every maker to fix other cars catching fire.

Quote:
This is real funny. Asking us why the media missed some news. Who knows, man ? You should check with the media.
This is what you posted.

for the media, any car burning is the same - a news opportunity. If Altos or Figos start burning tomorrow, they would report it as they did the Nano-fires.

Here you clearly say media will cover it and when I point a case where media is missing it you escape saying you should check with the media. What a self contradiction sarji?

Quote:
What you think of as a conspiracy has another angle to it in the view of other people - that of fertile land being taken over for industry. In that case, I would be inclined to support the eviction of industry from such land, be it of Tata or MSIL.
There is a procedure to take back that land. Or lets have a policy not to give fertile land to industry. In Tenali, AP my uncle's agri land was taken away for not industry but for building houses for the poor. He did not get thousands of people to re-acquire it. He went to court. Thousands of people protested around the plant in singur for almost a month. Food was free, makeshift accomedation was also provided. It's costs crores to do that. Who was funding that. Not mamata for sure. And why did these protests start when the plant was about to go live. Using fertile land for industry has been happening for years. Even I don't like using fertile land for industry. But there should be a law/procedure to do that not man handling the workers.

Last edited by airbender : 1st September 2010 at 21:11.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 21:28   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
The beat I talked about is brand new(LESS THAN TWO MONTHS OLD).
How do you know that? And I never can accept any car burning, be it the Beat or the Nano. Do you know if that Beat had any after market fitments?
And I even commented on that burning Beat and warned my friend too who had booked a Beat.

Quote:
GTO posted it on the accidents thread and I talked about it on this thread. Well, it's not important who posted it. The issue hear is did you hear the media talk about it at all. Also, many of t-bhpians talked about some new cars catching fire. Why did the media not talk about them.
Why ask us? Go and ask the media.

You were happy when the mass media went ga-ga over the Nano during it's launch? Why curse the same media now?

Quote:
What if the dealer made the call and the owner did not respond.
I have no problems of the car burning then.

Quote:
The Beat thing happened some months back when even grannies google.
But that was just ONE Beat. Not 6 (3) TATA Nanos.

Quote:
It would make sense if you stop making silly comments like this and talk something sensible.
It's for everyone to see. Show us ONE 'TATA' thread where you have not made your mark and I would be surprised. If facts are silly, so are my comments!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 1st September 2010 at 21:31.
Old 1st September 2010, 22:28   #597
BHPian

Quote:
I have no problems of the car burning then.
Well, my posts are having an impact. Sometimes it's possible that if you agree with me only you can be wrong.

Any wise person be it media or t-bhpian would have found that out first before starting to bash the Tata's first. But that did not happen. All three incidents reported are similar in nature. We have seen cars of almost every auto maker catching fire in india. How many made a statement like Tata did and how many recalled/replaced the part?

Quote:
How do you know that? And I never can accept any car burning, be it the Beat or the Nano. Do you know if that Beat had any after market fitments?
This incident happened less than two months after launch. If not for GTO's friend we would not have known this happened. It is a TD car(you know this too), so I assume it must have been well maintained.

Quote:
Why ask us? Go and ask the media.
One senior member said media will cover every fire incident just as they covered nano's. I only used this as an example to say it's not the case.

Quote:
But that was just ONE Beat. Not 6 (3) TATA Nanos.
Excuse after excuse. First you said not in the age of grannies using internet. Now you say one beat. Can you compare how many beats are on the roads to how many nano's.

Quote:
It's for everyone to see. Show us ONE 'TATA' thread where you have not made your mark and I would be surprised. If facts are silly, so are my comments!
We better concentrate on things which matter. Some members are common to tata threads, the only difference being they are on the opposite sides of the fence. Instead of talking to me talk to my posts. It doesnot matter if it comes from airbender or some XYZ. What matters is what they want to convey. Also, you ignored the important part of my post. I am retyping it here. Can you please answer. Also, you said nano was not properly tested. How do you know this.

Is it really important if it's GTO or me who posted about the beat fire incident. THe point I wanted to convey is why media missed it. Same with the fuel pipe replacement. I asked if the owner got it replaced and you say it;s manufacturers responcibility. Manufacturers responcibility is to change it for free but it's the owners responcibility to take the car to the dealer and get it changed. Clearly you are only interested in bashing the maker. Use some logic in your posts.

Last edited by airbender : 1st September 2010 at 22:29.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:54   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As long as people like you keep posting negatively about only one maker expect to see people like me to cleanup the thread
Ha, playing mod, are we? If someone were to post negatively (without basis), do you think the mods would let that pass ?

Quote:
Look at the nuclear liability act just passed in the parlament. THe suppliers do not want any liability for supplying the equipment to the plants.
Boss, now that you are playing mod, the least you can do is stick to the topic. On every thread related to Tata, why do you have to bring in Mamta, Singur, land-grabbing etc, as if all these are the cause of Nanos burning ? Now you go on to failed banks and nuclear bill. Please post what is relevant - because otherwise, we won't get anywhere discussing chips and nuclear fuel, neither of which are the reason for Nano going up in flames.

Quote:
Beats, I-10s catching fire are small cars too. There are several threads or posts covering those small cars or sedans upto 10 lakhs but you are clearly missing on those threads.
The difference between Nano and a Beat is that while the latter was a single incident, the former seems to be a pattern, which explains why so much interest in this. i10 sells like 10K or more per month for last many years - how many caught fire ? Another difference between Tata and the other manufacturers (Honda, Hyundai, Chevy) etc is the known difference in quality of their products. There is a senior member of this forum who literally drove his flaming Indica to the TASS. So it does not really surprise me when the same manufacturer's built-to-price car catches fire.

Quote:
Not to say 3.4k or 34k car can catch fire. Even beat is only two month old car. WHy does that not bother you?
What is there to bother me ? I don't own a Beat. Also if instead of just 1 Beat catching fire, it were to become a repeat affair, then people would be wary.

Quote:
You are missing the point here. Just as you expect Tata to fix nano we expect every maker to fix other cars catching fire.
The point you are missing here is other manufacturer's cars are not going up in flames like the Nano. So no reason for them to fix something that is not broken.

Quote:
This is what you posted.
for the media, any car burning is the same - a news opportunity. If Altos or Figos start burning tomorrow, they would report it as they did the Nano-fires.Here you clearly say media will cover it and when I point a case where media is missing it you escape saying you should check with the media. What a self contradiction sarji?
What contradiction ? I am in the s/w industry - not media. If the media covers 1 incident and misses another one, do you expect me to know why? As an outsider to the media domain, I expect them to find the same interest in a burning car. But if they don't, that is something for them to answer, not me. So, the next time you have such doubts, go to the media instead of asking us.

Quote:
Thousands of people protested around the plant in singur for almost a month. Food was free, makeshift accomedation was also provided. It's costs crores to do that. Who was funding that. Not mamata for sure.
If the land in question was fertile, IMO all these measures were valid and have my support, be it Tata or Mazda. And this is also OT here - so, please leave this here, instead of dragging this.
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:29   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mentioned 2 Honda fire incidences, which are on the NHC, which IIRC sold around 3.5K monthly for what 4-5 years. That is like 2lakh cars of which 2 caught fire. Compare that to the Nano fire incidents in just 30K cars sold. Maybe that could be why so much discussion on Nano as opposed to honda.

Not sure how you see a strong connect between a thread being active with Tata being ranked 2nd, which is in all probability mere coincidence.
A perfect example of selective reading, I mentioned two HONDA incidences in India in which PEOPLE WERE KILLED they are not the only 2 incidences of fire in NHC or equivalent models ever.

If you collate the world wide such incidences the pattern in criminal. They recalled the product elsewhere much earlier and only on Jan 30, 2010 in India.
So don't you think they are responsible for deaths knowingly and should be made to compensate the families of those who died ?

Still they routinely issue recalls multiple times in USA and EUROPE with a typical statement from HSCIL that issue does not affect in XYZ model being sold in India. What is the guarantee that they sell such a stellar quality in India ( better then US and EU actually ) given the proven fact and deaths above for NHC ?

Some how when it is in 10 Lakh rupees best selling model it does not bother people as much as a 1 lakh rupees car which changed the rules of the game.

So to rephrase and summerise

1. No two doubts that manufacturers including Tata should make cars which are free from fire and compensate adequately to owners who are victims and issue recalls to non-owners.

2. Is a 1 lakh ruppe car the only one which can have fire hazard, Definitely no as it is proven beyond doubt that 10 lakh and 6 lakh price point cars can be equally hazardous. In one case manufacturer payed no compensation to owners and years later silently recalled. In other case manufacturer refused to acknowledge the problem.

In my opinion if fuel like raptures and catch fire due to any issue including rodent bite manufacturer is responsible because manufacturer decided to put unprotected fuel line to cut costs knowing fully that it can cause fire in case case of rodent bite. While TML acknowledged and compensated owners and fixed issue in other cars. Hyundai is yet to compensate owners while it silently puts a metal mesh sleeve now in i10s ( as per owner reports).
And how exactly you know it was only i10 ever which caught fire. Not even a significant minority of i10 owners are there on T-BHP ( sales being in multiple thousands and owners here are few dozen)

3. Should BHPians be equally concerned in all fire cases , Definitely yes.

Quote:
Its a good thing to have safety features. And something others could emulate. But the main issue with Tata vehicles is not about lack of features, but the niggles and issues seen in new vehicles. Given that you mentioned issues with your Safari, I dont see a reason to point you to the other threads about Safari issues.

Maybe they could start off with making reliable vehicles and the buyers would follow. Simpler than blaming bribing, buyers, market etc.
Aah Safari , Somehow I see always Safari owners are cool about the niggles it while it concerns more to non owners.

Read the Safari 2.2 thread what is cited there as niggle is perfectly acceptable quality in Swift from Maruti stable .
Just that perception is different due to difference in price point.

Just look at Swift problem solution thread and do a comparison on issues.
Found exactly same niggles on both (most common niggles)

1. Turbo hose coming off
2. Clutch being hard issues
3. gear shift and reverse gear slotting problems
4. Injector chocking issues
5. Rattles.
6. Suspension bush going kaput.

But why bring in Safari here in this thread don't see any Fire in 12 years of existence of Safari, It's not that Diesel vehicles can not catch fire there are 3 other brand hot selling SUV which caught fire in quick succession about 2 years back.

About safety features read a thread titled "Dicor totelled" by Godfather all occupants came out unscratched due to crumple zones and safety features.
Read another similar thread where a Safari skidded on wet road on sharp turn above 90Km and occupants came out without any injury.

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd September 2010 at 09:36.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:39   #600
Senior - BHPian

Well, well, apart from the Nanos, this thread has certainly caught fire

As per this PTI release, the Tata Group has acknowledged the incident, but again reminded that thousands of Nanos are running safely, and assuring that each customer would be personally contacted for checks, and provide additional protection where required :

Tata Motors to investigate Nano fire incident - NDTV Profit

Interesting to see if any of the TBHP Nano owners have already been contacted so far, now that the press release is nearly a week old ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote