Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:02   #616
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Toyota's famed QC and reliability

Not only brakes even Air bags are not opening in case accidents in fortuner.
Toyota Fortuner Complaints - brake problem

Clutch plates collapse in 7 month fortuner, resulting in customer stranded on the road ( there is a thread in this forum about a safari starnded which was more than few pages length with all kinds of posts)
Toyota Fortuner Complaints - clutch plates diffect

Toyota Fortuner Complaints - brake problem

Toyota Fortuner Complaints - Breaks not working
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:30   #617
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Not only brakes even Air bags are not opening in case accidents in fortuner.
Toyota Fortuner Complaints - brake problem

Clutch plates collapse in 7 month fortuner, resulting in customer stranded on the road ( there is a thread in this forum about a safari starnded which was more than few pages length with all kinds of posts)
Toyota Fortuner Complaints - clutch plates diffect

Toyota Fortuner Complaints - brake problem

Toyota Fortuner Complaints - Breaks not working

Dear TATA patron, Toyota has already upgraded the brakes on the Fortuner. Weak brakes can be tolerated, but not unexpected fire.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:33   #618
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: miami. fl
Posts: 435
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Compare this with Hyundai India attitude ( reputed MNC with quality cars)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...gnition-5.html (Hyundai i10 catches fire during ignition!)
Well, change the title. Replace Hyundai i10 with tata nano and thread will run into 50 pages instead of 5 pages.

This is a pattern if you carefully observe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Weak brakes can be tolerated
Well, Do not want to start all over again

Last edited by airbender : 3rd September 2010 at 21:40.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:51   #619
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default

Quote:
Well, Do not want to start all over again
Ahem. I mean, say I am driving an M 800, i know that it has got bloody weak brakes and hence i keep a tab on my speed limits. Hope you get the analogy now. If not, try reading again.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:02   #620
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: miami. fl
Posts: 435
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Ahem. I mean, say I am driving an M 800, i know that it has got bloody weak brakes and hence i keep a tab on my speed limits. Hope you get the analogy now. If not, try reading again.
Firstofall, You using the words like Tata patron or wipe tata off your eyes doesnot go well with me. Just because you don't like someone's opinion does not mean you can say those words at him.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:01   #621
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Dear TATA patron, Toyota has already upgraded the brakes on the Fortuner. Weak brakes can be tolerated, but not unexpected fire.
Facts are always bitter and posting them(facts) does not make one TATA fan.

kindly open the eyes and go through the links once gain and then say it is brakes alone.

The links pertain to issues other than brakes also

1. Failure of air bags to open in fortuner in case of accident ( i think you can live with it, because it toyota)

2. Dropping of clutch in 7 month old fortuner

Last edited by rkg : 4th September 2010 at 10:07.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:39   #622
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Nice posts from ACM and CPH. It's no fun in filling pages posting point to point. I hope this stops here and we take nano fire as it happened to any other brand car.

@Amartya: Initially when I read your posts I didnot like it but later had a re-think and yes you are indeed making a nice point here. I am a reader but not a typer. If not for some of those posts, i would never have been a member of t-bhp.
Thanks for that, appreciate it, and glad to have you on the forum as a 'typer'. Like you, I too had been a 'reader' (without Kate Winslet though ) on this forum for close to 2.5-3 years before jumping in. The reasons were similar, I just didn't agree with a lot of stuff being said, and thought I could contribute or present a different point of view.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:53   #623
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,019 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
The links pertain to issues other than brakes also

1. Failure of air bags to open in fortuner in case of accident ( i think you can live with it, because it toyota)

2. Dropping of clutch in 7 month old fortuner
  1. The Airbags deploy only if required. If the car rolls over, is side hit or it hits a pole where the impact is limited just a single point the Airbags do not deploy. The Fortuner owner's manual clearly explains this.
  2. Leave alone 7 months, a misused clutch may not last 1 hour. Clutch plate's life depends on the usage.

These apply to all cars. Let's get back to Nano discussion.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 20:36   #624
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
Surely it does , I survived the accident due to build quality of Logan. Surely same can not be said about any of those tin boxes whose B and C pilliors collepse and manufacturers cut costs.
I sincerely hope you dont have to undergo other accidents in your quest to prove vehicle-build. I have had an accident (frontal) in one of the cheapest tin-boxes you referred and since I am still typing this here, they must be of super build-quality, going by your reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
So !!! What suspension bush issue or TSK1979's issue with RPM surge due to faulty sensor in Fuel pump has to do with fire incidences ?
Nothing. Who said they had anything to do with fires ? The talk was about niggles and there were more than enough to keep track off in a new 1-million Tata SUV, to have the thread-title keep changing on a daily-basis to reflect the daily-niggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
And before you bring in these two samples do us a favor search for big issues such as break and clutch related in flagship model of your favorite manufacturer on T-BHP.
I guess you are referring to the Swift. If so, since I own one for the last 3 years, do I need a search to know the shortcomings of a car I drive ? And on the threads discussing those issues on tbhp, I am sure that no one comes saying, "Hey, its a Made in India car, so let us not run it down ourselves, to avoid being racist to ourselves" or "Hey, let us restrict the -ve comments to those that own Swifts. Why should non-owners post here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
But not being an owner of one I definately avoid -ve comments about the vechicle, which obviously has +ve that suit others and hence many do go for it.
All vehicles have +ves and -ves - there is no perfect vehicle. But if pointing out -ves of a vehicle is sacrilege, then we dont need a forum and tbhp would not have a rationale for existing. By your theory, since ajmat does not own an A*, he should not be pointing out -ve comments about it in his review. Same about other reviews and user-reviews on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
But some how don't undertand the fettish to keep going -vely gaga about brands that one has actually never experienced (self or close friend) just based on hearsay.
Please don't assume stuff about people whom you dont even know. I have not owned Tata yet (no plans to do in near future either), but that does not mean I don't have user-experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
A large number of post about the TATA Nano Fires seem to fall in one of the above categories. No am not pointing a finger at anyone, am only suggesting introspection.
I suggest you spend time looking inwards yourself instead of making illogical and unfound insinuations that people who post a -ve about Tata are being paid for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
The fuel lines if actually the culpit are being replaced I guess. Yes TATA is responsible for the poor quality of the fuel lines not the supplier, but I dont believe that TATA has compromised safety for price in this issue
I don't think anyone here said anything other than what you did (in Bold). I don't think Tata or any manufacturer intentionally compromises safety in their vehicles. But they are responsible for the quality and need to rectify it. Blaming suppliers or competitors or naxalites etc is trying to evade responsibility.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th September 2010 at 09:09. Reason: Removing off topic content
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 22:01   #625
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Facts are always bitter and posting them(facts) does not make one TATA fan.

kindly open the eyes and go through the links once gain and then say it is brakes alone.

The links pertain to issues other than brakes also

1. Failure of air bags to open in fortuner in case of accident ( i think you can live with it, because it toyota)

2. Dropping of clutch in 7 month old fortuner
Dear TATA patron,

Lets get to facts as you say.

Are you aware how many TATA Nano related complaints are there in the same website (ConsumerComplaints.in)? Just for the record, there are roughly 80 to 100. Why not post them too? Oh, too bad, you might run out of space.

As for the clutch failure complaint, I doubt if that person really drives a Fortuner as he has problems with spelling 'defect'. And yes, get me any TATA and i would give you back the car with it's clutch fried in flat 2 minutes. I swear. (Point made to make people understand that clutch wear n tear is more prone to the driving style, and a one-off case like this, which might be the outcome of bad driving cannot be generalized to all Toyotas.) Heck, how did Toyota come into the picture? And I thought we are discussing Nanos and fire.

Next, coming to your Airbag BS. This is the content from the complaint.

Quote:
brake problem
i request you all to forward the complaints to our law firm. we are in the process of initiating a legal process against the TOYOTA KIRILOSKAR MOTORS for the defect in braking system and a second major defect in the SRS airbags which don't open in case of a head on collision...

and you would be surprised after knowing that our firm has already provided an unexpected relief to one of our client who was suffering from the toyota brake problem.

so if u are facing any problem regarding toyota fortuner plz contact us on

XLNC (LEGAL SERVICES)
E-155 PHASE 7
INDUSTRIAL AREA
MOHALI
This is not even a proper complaint providing factual details and posted by an agency, funnily enough you even quote this here, on T Bhp. Great going.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 4th September 2010 at 22:04.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 13:35   #626
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Dear TATA patron,

Lets get to facts as you say.

Are you aware how many TATA Nano related complaints are there in the same website (ConsumerComplaints.in)? Just for the record, there are roughly 80 to 100. Why not post them too? Oh, too bad, you might run out of space.

As for the clutch failure complaint, I doubt if that person really drives a Fortuner as he has problems with spelling 'defect'.
Above statement reflects the mindset.

As per this if a person does not know how to type spelling properly, he/she should not be driving a fortuner.

I do not know what this kind of mindset is called.

TATA has defects , so do others. No one is sacred cow here. all here to make profits.

Now Lets calculate the complaint ratio in case of toyota fortuner and also TATA Nano

Fortuner : 220/6500 = 3.4% ( made by best QC and reputed company and costs minimum of 18-20 lakhs)

NANO :100/30000 = 0.33% ( made by a company which compromises quality for making cheap cars and costs min 1.5 and max 2 lakhs)

I hope the maths is clear.

Kindly do not say iam not entitled to post opinion if there is any spelling mistake, because iam not a professional typist

Any one who posts facts does not become TATA patron, just like your are not a TATA baiter.

Last edited by rkg : 5th September 2010 at 13:39.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 14:25   #627
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Above statement reflects the mindset.

As per this if a person does not know how to type spelling properly, he/she should not be driving a fortuner.

I do not know what this kind of mindset is called.

TATA has defects , so do others. No one is sacred cow here. all here to make profits.

Now Lets calculate the complaint ratio in case of toyota fortuner and also TATA Nano

Fortuner : 220/6500 = 3.4% ( made by best QC and reputed company and costs minimum of 18-20 lakhs)

NANO :100/30000 = 0.33% ( made by a company which compromises quality for making cheap cars and costs min 1.5 and max 2 lakhs)

I hope the maths is clear.

Kindly do not say iam not entitled to post opinion if there is any spelling mistake, because iam not a professional typist

Any one who posts facts does not become TATA patron, just like your are not a TATA baiter.
Toyota, Suzuki and others have laughed at the attempt to create such a car and even boasted to beat it. Where are the cars?

Six samples of the cheapest car in the world being mass produced had problems with smoke and fire. Nobody died and this is a national disaster!

All the other cars made and/or sold in India together are treated like it is normal.

I like the Nano. However I am neither in love with Tata nor any car manufacturer. And I never claimed the Nano is perfect. But unlike many here I use the same measure for everyone and everything.

From this I can safely say, if the Nano had a Toyota badge or a Mercedes badge it never would have been run down by the ones who indulged themselves in the frenzy.

Toyota is now at over 11 million to recall in less than a years time. They would have to have recalled even more if the law in India wouldn't be so consumer unfriendly.

0.33% of complaints is exceptionally low on any model. But it is lower than that anyway as by now 55,000 Nanos have been produced, which is under 0.19%.

If anyone can show me a manufacturer with any model ever on sale to beat this then I am willing to swing their way!

Last edited by Eddy : 7th September 2010 at 09:11. Reason: Removing off topic content
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 14:32   #628
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 644 Times
Default

Fire in Tata cars are nothing new. Some years back, an Indica inside a truck carrying new ones to the Kochi dealership (was Koyenco, if I'm correct) caught fire, ruining many in the same load. Then a brand new petrol Indigo went up in flames while running, on NH17 near Kochi. It was soon after the Indigo was launched. Apparently, electrical glitches plague the whole Tata set up. Anybody remember the problems we had with the electricals of those first- gen Mercedes W124's assembled within Tata premises- I know of one car which got its entire wiring system burnt.
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 14:41   #629
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

^^ When one tries to argue for superiority (moral or otherwise), it doesn't help if one indulges in a mud slinging war. While some of the posts on this thread were in poor taste, rebutting them in the same tone or language is detrimental to a fruitful discussion. On a public forum, passing judgment (which might or might not be correct) about someone elses future - no matter what the provocation - doesn't paint a bright picture of oneself.

If you read my earlier posts on the same thread, it'll be amply clear that I am a big supporter of the Nano. I'm also fine with a parallel discussion about the safety standards of different car manufacturers, but in my opinion, mocking someone by calling him a patron of a particular brand is just as bad as saying that he/she is a loser.

Guys, I suggest we get back to the discussion at hand, and if anyone has anything constructive to add to the debate, that's more than welcome.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 09:53   #630
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 652
Thanked: 378 Times
Default

From the anti-Tata outcry on this thread, you'd think that a Nano was catching fire every other day. Cars catch fire all the time, as shown in so many threads in team-bhp alone.

The reason it gets so much media attention and flak is because it is such a monumental car. If 4 people had died in an Alto crash, the newspaper wouldn't even bother to name the car. The headline would be, '4 people die in car accident'. You'd have to look at the picture and search for clues to find which car it is. But, if they had been driving in a Nano, the headline would mention that. It would say, '4 die in Nano accident'. The report would mention in detail how the car reacted to the crash. There would be comments from clueless bystanders who immediately become car experts and comment on how easily the car was crushed by the truck. Does anyone care to refute that?

The reason the Nano gets so much brickbats is simple. Because it's a superstar! If I hit someone with my car, it wouldn't make the papers. But what if Shah Rukh Khan had done it? Heck, what if Shah Rukh's escort car had hit someone? The Nano gets so much attention simply because the car itself is newsworthy, not the fire.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported vasoo Street Experiences 1156 17th August 2016 14:02
Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9 carzone Super-Cars & Imports in India 138 31st March 2015 13:28
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
Owner asks for Mercedes after parked Nano catches fire. EDIT : One more on page 5! lambuhere1 Street Experiences 87 28th February 2013 18:08
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks