Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:23   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post

Toyota insited up to the day Mr Toyoda was question in public on the highest political level that there was no casualties. Under the pressure of Senators he had to make a public televised apology. And Toyota before tried to hold other reaons responsble than the actaul ones.
I did not know this, but given how I have seen every corporation behave under stress, deploying PR and damage control strategies, this does not surprise me. A lot of the Toyota holier than thou PR is exposed to be just as shallow as anyone elses. It must be something about sheer size that encourages corporations to do evil.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:12   #77
BHPian
 
Ponmayilal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I booked a high end Nano when the bookings opened thinking once I get it, I shall jettison my Honda Activa. Some friends even suggested that I should book two to ensure better chances of allotment. I did not and also did not opt to retain my booking for later delivery. I got the full amount back. I am glad that I won't be riding a live bomb.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:21   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerala
Posts: 627
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

If I was from Tata, I would have investigated whether anything was pasted (stuffed, kept whatever) over the rear engine's cooling ducts. Reminds me of the Yamaha R15 which (three precisely) caught fire because people used to stuff waste clothes into the ducts in the fairing meant for cooling the engine. Apparently many of the initial riders did not know that those openings on the fairing was functional.

In one news it was mentioned that he had installed after market power steering.

http://www.ndtv.com/news/cities/bran...ames-18207.php

Last edited by Trapezio : 23rd March 2010 at 09:30.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:29   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Oh boy, this is already causing bad press on the other side of the globe. Tata Motors need to do some fire fighting real soon:

Tata Nano becomes CarBQ in Mumbai — Autoblog
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:44   #80
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default

I do not think a Tata workshop would install power steering on the Nano. Looks like a typo. The nano costs 2.4L so its likely to be a top end version with AC and Power windows not power steering
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:47   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

I wonder, many of us knows that there are several reports on Nano caught fire, still we buy it. Why we give less imortance to life than money?
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:55   #82
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Oh boy, this is already causing bad press on the other side of the globe. Tata Motors need to do some fire fighting real soon:

Tata Nano becomes CarBQ in Mumbai — Autoblog
+1 to that.
The flames are spreading faster. Following is another link
Tata Nano bursts into flames – again
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:01   #83
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default

When you have a car which shook the world, and made even developed nations stand up and take notice, negative publicity will also have the same kind of coverage the initial hype has.
Remember, everybody is watching the nano, and also watching how will Tata price it in Europe and the west, and what exactly will they get for that price,
Now if it spreads like wildfire(pun intended), that nano is a mini bomb, its going to hurt Tata and cause lots of negative publicity. Tata better stem this issue in the bud. In India 3-4 cars catching fire will mean tata needing to replace 3-4 nano's, but abroad even one car catching fire could mean lawsuits costing millions of dollars.
Hopefully, they will not be "Pinto's" and actually fix the issue, irrespective of the cost.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:22   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default

In all 4 nano caught fire , Though we can not predict reason for fire but
little overengineering using thicker gauge wiring and better insulation would have been a lot cheaper then negative publicity.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:55   #85
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In all 4 nano caught fire , Though we can not predict reason for fire but
little overengineering using thicker gauge wiring and better insulation would have been a lot cheaper then negative publicity.
This would have made the car much more expensive, which would have defeated te objective.

The aim to build the Nano would inevitably spark negative press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I wonder, many of us knows that there are several reports on Nano caught fire, still we buy it. Why we give less imortance to life than money?
Ask this the Mitsubishi CEO, who serves 9 life setences for knowingly comissioning a car that would result in fatal accidents, which unfortunately is the only conviction ever made on this level. Anyone else got away so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Oh boy, this is already causing bad press on the other side of the globe. Tata Motors need to do some fire fighting real soon:

Tata Nano becomes CarBQ in Mumbai — Autoblog
They are working on this, but it is not as easy as you think. Don't forget that the other fires had been reported to have started around the steering column and it was talk of a switch.

Honda had a similar problem and people buy them without hesitation.

Mercedes had the largest re-call ever before Toyota beat them to it. It was 658,000 for unsafe brake systems.Mercedes had so many reliability issues in 2007 alone that it was a daily guest on the German national news. Still people crave to own the highest paid piece of rubbish engineering in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
If I was from Tata, I would have investigated whether anything was pasted (stuffed, kept whatever) over the rear engine's cooling ducts. Reminds me of the Yamaha R15 which (three precisely) caught fire because people used to stuff waste clothes into the ducts in the fairing meant for cooling the engine. Apparently many of the initial riders did not know that those openings on the fairing was functional.

In one news it was mentioned that he had installed after market power steering.

Brand new Tata Nano bursts into flames
Wrong handling of a product is a big contributor for problems. Unfortunately this makes it for the investigating engineers even more difficult and for designers like wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I booked a high end Nano when the bookings opened thinking once I get it, I shall jettison my Honda Activa. Some friends even suggested that I should book two to ensure better chances of allotment. I did not and also did not opt to retain my booking for later delivery. I got the full amount back. I am glad that I won't be riding a live bomb.
There is more riding live bombs in India let alone the whole world. If you read the monthly re-call lists imposed by the governmental authorites all over the world, that have to be listed in specialist trade magazines, you possibly would stop driving and not even ride a bus.

Mercedes delivered bendy buses to London transport and within a couple of days 3 caught fire (engine bay). When Mercedes representatives claimed that this was an isolated incident the question was asked: "What were the over 20 other fires then about that happened in engine bays of bendy buses?" No answer to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I did not know this, but given how I have seen every corporation behave under stress, deploying PR and damage control strategies, this does not surprise me. A lot of the Toyota holier than thou PR is exposed to be just as shallow as anyone elses. It must be something about sheer size that encourages corporations to do evil.
Corporations design things that have flaws. To many people get involved in projects and communication is not adequate to make sure products are safe enough, whic is the reason why every year millions of cars have to be called back for safety reasons.

All I can say, being in the automotive industries for nearly 31 years that I would buy the Nano.

This is all blown out of proprtion. There is much worse cars than the Nano and people buy them.

Be fair, lock out te hype and look properly at the Nano. Give tata a fair chance and let the facts speak.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:08   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 188
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This is a befitting reply and really appreciate every word of it. People who are mocking nano, specially indians, let me tell you there is more probability of you getting hurt on indian roads than getting some burns in a nano, if you check the statistics.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:14   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default

This incident has definitely sparked a lot of confusion and fear among Nano users and people who are waiting to get their hands on it. Most of my family members and friends dont want me to buy the Nano. After a long discussion, and after I told them about the incidents of other car fire's, we stick to buying the Nano. I wonder how comfortable they would feel to get into the Nano.

Will they\co-passengers ever sleep in the Nano during a long over night drive?

Only time and Tata's investigation results can answer that golden question. Until then, it will be sleepless nights for the co-passengers and scary drives for drivers. I will keep my fingers crossed and await for Tata's report.

@ Rajdoll: I agree with you every bit. The fear instilled into a Nano user, no one can take it away very quickly. No matter what, every one will be conscious about their Nano's for some time. I wouldnt be surprised if some people literally stopped their Nano's every 3-4 KMS and check the rear to ensure there is no fire

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd March 2010 at 15:18.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:31   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 386
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata better stem this issue in the bud.
Thats Latin to Tata Motors. They just wouldn't know what you are talking about.


Quote:
In India 3-4 cars catching fire will mean tata needing to replace 3-4 nano's,
Replace the car Relace the spare part multiple times - possible. Replace the car - impossible. Trust me, nobody else can vouch for that.

Quote:
Hopefully, they will not be "Pinto's" and actually fix the issue, irrespective of the cost.
Totally agree. Hope, is the only commodity one gets with a Tata products.

So long.....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:42   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,375
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
This is a befitting reply and really appreciate every word of it. People who are mocking nano, specially indians, let me tell you there is more probability of you getting hurt on indian roads than getting some burns in a nano, if you check the statistics.
You're obviously missing the point. If it can be shown that the Nano clearly has a problem, and that does seem to be the case, I fully expect Tata to both acknowledge and fix it. Telling me that a truck is more likely to run me over is not an excuse.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:50   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 188
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

That is pretty much common sense, my point was for people who are jumping the gun and concluding without any evidence. Let the final analysis come out, and if it is a defect in the product it surely needs to be fixed no two thoughts about that. I don't think Tatas will be sitting on their laurels and will try to sweep it under the carpet. Myself being in the product development, I understand how difficult it is to dignose the issues if they are not easily reproducible. My only peeve is when people start belittling a company just because it is an indian and will blindfold pay their hard earned money for foriegn MNCs when the same MNCs are committing the same fatal mistakes and on top that they will come out and defend them too.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported vasoo Street Experiences 1156 17th August 2016 14:02
Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9 carzone Super-Cars & Imports in India 138 31st March 2015 13:28
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
Owner asks for Mercedes after parked Nano catches fire. EDIT : One more on page 5! lambuhere1 Street Experiences 87 28th February 2013 18:08
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks