Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th March 2010, 19:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

nice informative article, just noticed something interesting- Top 3 Companies offering the best standard warranties do not feature among the top 3 from extended warranties.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:13   #62
BHPian

Frankly, to my mind, there is no difference between standard warranty and extended warranty. Companies which offer long standard warranties have it well figured out in the premium pricing (Honda Jazz being a perfect example).

Companies which aggressively compete on price (entry level hatches of Hyundai and Maruti being good examples), do give a basic minimum 2 year warranty but give an option of buying additional 2 or 3 years warranty at extra price. This is just to make sure price-sensitive customers are not turned away by a large initial price point. Customers who care for warranty anyway buy extra warranty because they see value in it.

It probably does not reflect on the confidence Hyundai or Maruti has in their cars. Just that they are smarter in pricing.
puneet8796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 01:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Standard there are better, extended I agree

Read my comment on the turbo charger replacement, that was covered under standard warranty not BSI. I don't know of any other company that doesn't think twice about replacing a part that is that expensive(1.5L) even when there is no real need.

I still get nightmares about my C180's service, yes that car was jinxed and faulty but nonetheless MB service center chaps weren't half as understanding. Every time the C180 went in to the dealership I'd wait with my heart in my mouth to get the estimate by fax. Every time the 5 series goes in to the dealership I'm excited she'll come back with a new component !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 16:36   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
In my last 16 years of driving experience, I can confidently tell that warranties by and large depend more on one's relationship with the dealer. Yes, there are warranty clauses, ifs and buts, dos and donts, but at the end of the day if the dealer feels, he can still consider stuffs under warranty, not-to-mention subject to validity of the warranty period.
Absolutely agreed! That's why I insist, via other posts on this forum, that its important to maintain a good relationship with your service advisor. Attitude should be that of team work, and not necessarily competing with the "other side". Polite yet assertive works best.

Quote:
However, in another instance, the clutch plate, which almost worn out, was not considered under warranty from the same dealer even though it was under warranty period, reason being "its a wear and tear part". Irony is that i got it replaced from another dealer under warranty because of my personal relationship.
You are very lucky to have gotten a new clutch under warranty. I agree with the first dealership that its a wear & tear part, and one that's generally not covered.

Quote:
I would always advise to definitely go for an extended warranty, as these are machine parts. No matter how precision or how best engineered they are, you may still come across a failure, even the very day of buying your brand new car. And you will realize only that time the value of an EW. Did I say INSURANCE ?
Well put.

Quote:
And Yes, please don't forget to follow the rules:
1. Maintain your car as stock as possible.
The only part that Team-BHPians have trouble with

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet8796 View Post
Companies which offer long standard warranties have it well figured out in the premium pricing
Some yes, but not all. Why do Mercedes & Skoda not offer long standard warranties? Why is a Captiva sold with a shorter warranty than its siblings that cost a third?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Read my comment on the turbo charger replacement, that was covered under standard warranty not BSI.
I did. Kudos to them on replacing a defective part without second thoughts. But Maruti, Hyundai, Mercedes etc. have also shown equal competence & generosity in taking care of their customers.

In terms of actual warranty coverage, BMW's extended is top of the line, but standard is mid-pack.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 01:58   #65
BHPian

At the same time, i can barely get myself to look at a car that has "too good" a warranty plan. It basically conveys that the model or brand is not perceived as very good by the market
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 17:08   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
At the same time, i can barely get myself to look at a car that has "too good" a warranty plan.
Some of the most reputable brands offer the best standard warranties in India, including Toyota. I don't see a correlation between the duration of warranty, and how the car / brand is perceived by the market. Of course, Hyundai USA is / was famous for their 10 year warranties. But that was only a measure to build consumer confidence in the brand after the "Hyundai Excel" debacle.

Quote:
It basically conveys that the model or brand is not perceived as very good by the market
Mine and Vasudeva's monthly sales analysis reports will be a substantially more accurate indicator of that
Old 5th April 2010, 22:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea, wingsoffires. Dippy compiled that pricing excel sheet and I'll leave it up to him to explain. However, considering that salesmen can provide incorrect pricing data, I'm going to remove the excel sheet on $$$ until further notice.
GTO, can you put back the xls? Even if there are a few errors, it is fine, as we are looking at indicative prices and not necessarily accurate ones. Anyway you can put a disclaimer at the bottom. I wanted to find the extended warranty prices for Hyundai.
civic-sense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:44   #68
BHPian

for all the maruti.s i had which includes the zen lxi, baleno and swift i had taken an extended warranty for 2 more years, Infact i feel that suzuki warranty is pretty good , i did have a problem with my baleno when my AC Evaporator Coil had to be changed, There was a clause wherein it states that for certain components the mileage should n,t be more than 60,000 Km , to be honest i did not know about this , but somehow the dealer managed , i did not pay for the changed spare . and i never had any issue with the other cars and any spare that was covered was replaced promptly , and all my service is done at Popular , Ernakulam.
brijesh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:01   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
GTO, can you put back the xls? Even if there are a few errors, it is fine, as we are looking at indicative prices and not necessarily accurate ones. Anyway you can put a disclaimer at the bottom. I wanted to find the extended warranty prices for Hyundai.
Attached to this post.

*Disclaimer* : May have inaccuracies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh1977 View Post
i did have a problem with my baleno when my AC Evaporator Coil had to be changed
You should thank your lucky stars (or the extended warranty). Baleno spares are known to be frighteningly expensive!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Warranty.xls (52.0 KB, 292 views)
Old 6th April 2010, 16:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Attached to this post.

*Disclaimer* : May have inaccuracies.

You should thank your lucky stars (or the extended warranty). Baleno spares are known to be frighteningly expensive!
yes you are absolutely right , i love the car so much i don,t feel like selling it , but yest the spare costs are high , my car has done 85000 km but so far i haven,t had any serious issue and is 5 years old , But once i get my Cruze At , will have to sell
brijesh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

I would echo some of the Maruti experiences mentioned here. Rapport with the service advisor matters a lot. I've been happy with the warranty support. The Baleno is now not covered (4.5yrs almost).

What is the dealers' POV? How do Warranty claims affect their revenue? Is it any different from parts replacements that are paid for by the customer?

Last edited by shuvc : 7th April 2010 at 10:17.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:23   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
What is the dealers' POV? How do Warranty claims affect their revenue? Is it any different from parts replacements that are paid for by the customer?
Dealers get reimbursed by the manufacturer for the cost of parts & labour. Most brands don't allow dealers any profit margins on warranty replacements (work performed at cost).

On a related note, some brands take awfully long to reimburse dealers for warranty claims...it's a known headache within the industry and is dismissed as the cost of doing business.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Dealers get reimbursed by the manufacturer for the cost of parts & labour. Most brands don't allow dealers any profit margins on warranty replacements (work performed at cost).

On a related note, some brands take awfully long to reimburse dealers for warranty claims...it's a known headache within the industry and is dismissed as the cost of doing business.
In many cases, the dealers also have to ship the defective components back to the factory for inspection and study and often the cost is recovered from the parts supplier. And good companies always respect the opinions of good dealers for warranty replacement for even out-of-warranty items that are expensive, if the dealer genuiney believes there to be a manufacturing defect. That is why it is important to have a good relationship with your dealer.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th April 2010 at 10:52.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 19:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I would like to add that BMW is the only company in India that provides these warranties mentioned below

12 years on Body
3 years on Paint work and
2 years unlimited mileage on other parts as STANDARD across their range.

Source : BMW India website
>>>

VW offers the same for the Jetta too.

Twelve years is for anti-rust protection.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 22:10   #75
evo
BHPian

Fiat offers a 50 month warranty i.e. 2 months more than any other. This is ofcourse with the extended component.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote