Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd March 2010, 13:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
Any news on the Octavia? I read somewhere that they will be disconitnuing this car in Metros from April onwards because they don't meet the BSIV norms. Apparently the plan is to launch an 'ALL NEW' Octavia by the turn of the year.
Skoda has intentionally priced the cheaper variants of Laura pretty close to the Octavia thereby eating up its sales. The dated Octavia is not selling in good numbers anyways so i dont think Skoda will like to keep this in showrooms for long.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Any news on the Octavia? I read somewhere that they will be disconitnuing this car in Metros from April onwards because they don't meet the BSIV norms. Apparently the plan is to launch an 'ALL NEW' Octavia by the turn of the year.
A skoda salesman in Pune had informed that Octavia too will get a CRDI engine.
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

I hope they don't come up with some caveat for these new Common rail engines.
What about parts reliability issues?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had read in Autocar(not sure which edition) that the existing Octavia will be dis-continued in all metros w.e.f April 1, 2010 when the BS-IV norms are effective, and be made available only in the non-metros until the "New Octavia" is launched towards the end of 2010.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 13:06   #20
BHPian

I have my suspicion that something is up on the Laura 1.8 TSI front. My reasons:

1. Skoda knocked of almost Rs 1 lakh from the ex-showroom price of the car;

2. Dealers discourage one from booking the car by citing two reasons:

(a) Delivery period can be anything between 4 to 8 weeks;

(b) The price of the car will be the prevailing price at the time of the delivery. They don't say what the price will be.

I got this kind of replies from two Delhi dealers. Both of them seemed the least interested in booking the car.
ivar1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 13:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I have my suspicion that something is up on the Laura 1.8 TSI front. My reasons:

1. Skoda knocked of almost Rs 1 lakh from the ex-showroom price of the car;

2. Dealers discourage one from booking the car by citing two reasons:

(a) Delivery period can be anything between 4 to 8 weeks;

(b) The price of the car will be the prevailing price at the time of the delivery. They don't say what the price will be.

I got this kind of replies from two Delhi dealers. Both of them seemed the least interested in booking the car.
I think otherwise, If my daily usage was any less i would have grabbed a Laura TSi the day they came up with the offer. I think the long waiting period is due to the high popularity of TSi variant post discount. And the dealers are pushing for diesel variants as new diesel is coming and the exisiting PD stocks will be hard to clear later.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I think otherwise, If my daily usage was any less i would have grabbed a Laura TSi the day they came up with the offer. I think the long waiting period is due to the high popularity of TSi variant post discount. And the dealers are pushing for diesel variants as new diesel is coming and the exisiting PD stocks will be hard to clear later.
You may have a point. But why would dealers be hesitant to take a booking if a customer is willing to wait for 4 to 8 weeks for delivery? Also, what is the basis of the "high popularity of TSi variant post discount?" Kindly share. If the car was popular, why did Skoda knock off Rs 1 lakh from the price?
Old 24th March 2010, 13:49   #23
BHPian

The 1.8 TFSi is the same engine being used on the A4 - My car (2.0 Tfsi) is delayed 4 months (ETA Next week) - the reason being provided by Audi is that this engine went for the upcoming Euro certification hence, even though it met BSIV norms, they decided to keep everything in line with the Euro standards. Any new Audi is on a 4 MONTH delivery schedule - essentially only what the dealership orders in advance (forecast sales) is what they are getting!

I'm pretty sure it would be the same situation over at Skoda. So if you have a 'weird' color in mind, or are looking for a model which isn't well selling (2.0 Octavia- dont know if they still sell it), chances are, you may have to wait a while.

Also, a good dealership (Delhi-Fahrenheit?), with high sales would be a better bet at this point. They turn their inventory around faster hence would have more deliveries in the pipeline than others.

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 24th March 2010 at 13:53.
Speeding@160mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 13:50   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You may have a point. But why would dealers be hesitant to take a booking if a customer is willing to wait for 4 to 8 weeks for delivery?

Also, what is the basis of the "high popularity of TSi variant post discount?" Kindly share. If the car was popular, why did Skoda knock off Rs 1 lakh from the price?
I am not sure but AFAIK TSi engine is euro 4 and PD is not. So after April they wont be able to sell the PD cars they have in stock. Also they are convincing buyers for PD quoting long waiting period excuse and not refusing to accept TSi variant bookings.

Please note i said ' high popularity of TSi variant POST discount'

They cleared all the stocks after the discounts came, the discount was introduced to make a dent in Civic and Altis sales. Also Skoda like some manufacturers might have some policy where do not knock off prices but offer discounts or slot in a newer lower spec variant to retain the image.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:55   #25
BHPian

Default Octavia price slash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I had read in Autocar(not sure which edition) that the existing Octavia will be dis-continued in all metros w.e.f April 1, 2010 when the BS-IV norms are effective, and be made available only in the non-metros until the "New Octavia" is launched towards the end of 2010.
yeah I think this is where I read it too.

Guys do you think Skoda will slash the price of the Octavia then?
Pedal2Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 14:05   #26
BHPian

I have a gut feeling that the Laura 1.8 TSI will get the automatic transmission and will cost at least Rs 50,000 to Rs 75,000 more than its current price, i.e., without the discount.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The "new engine" is there already in the Passat You can check the details on the VW site. Its an excellent engine but the clatter is still there. Cars with the new engine will sell better now also because few were willing to buy vehicles which were going to see engine replacement.

My A4 has the same engine as well I wanted to ask if anyone drove the SKODA with that engine.

Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
What In your opinion would replace the 1.9 version? A 2.0? How is the engine capacity related to the BS IV norms? Thanks in advance for the answers.
I think the 1.9 will be discontinued. I don't think they are going to have two options on the diesel Laura as they do.

Cheers

@mods tried using the multiqoute, did not happen, pls excuse

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th March 2010 at 11:22.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
yeah I think this is where I read it too.

Guys do you think Skoda will slash the price of the Octavia then?
Well there is a good chance that Skoda will be releasing a new small sedan to compete with the City/SX4 or the Fiesta. Along with the Polo sedan, it is expected to have the 1.2 TSI engine. This may just be initial steps to start discontinuing the Octavia.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Autocar report indicates that the Skoda's will probably have the 2.0L PD engine, currently in the top end Laura.
The VWs would have the 2.0L CRDi mills.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote