Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 14:30   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Why would you say that? Aren't they equally refined and luxurious? Just curious.

Don't think so....though it seems that Audi shares the same view here in an old ad:

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th March 2010 at 14:35.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 14:43   #62
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Don't think so....though it seems that Audi shares the same view here in an old ad:
what an absolutely cracking ad...whoever thought it up needs to be blessed well rewarded!!!!

i tend to agree with gto here that there is a perceived value that brands such as mercedes and the beemers have here in our country....to that end, the audi brand is still not really up THERE with the guys who can afford cars in that price range...it's changing albeit slowly.

the volvo just doesn't seem to cut it though - they're known for being as safe as airforce 1, but that pretty much sums up their usp (for lack of a better word!)
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 17:51   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

in my opinion, I have never seen volvos as a luxury car brand and strongly feel they are overrated in India. I know they rank quite high on safety standards, but they suffer poor brand value and presence.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:03   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Volvos are family cars and I would say they fall in the Executive category, not luxury. Volvos are among the safest as well like what most have said. But, they were owned by Ford who gave them step-motherly treatment. That I believe is what killed the brand name. Now Volvo is being purchased by a Chinese company called Geely for a 'very low' amount. The reason why they may not be a luxury brand is because Volvo make most of their revenue by selling heavy equipment, like trucks, buses, tippers, cranes, etc. So since they make these, people may frown upon the cars coming from their stable. Seeing a Volvo bus carrying passengers puts off certain people from buying a car from the same manufacturer. That's my belief = People's perception about the brand.
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 21:07   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,847
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really; its also because the competition offers extremely accomplished cars. The Volvo S cannot touch the E Class on comfort, nor the 5 series on driving experience. The Audis already cover the median (between comfort + driving experience).

Consider this : We are a community of *informed* petrolheads. How come not one amongst us has bought a Volvo yet? Another way of looking at it : Why would one buy a Volvo over a Mercedes E Class or BMW 5 series? Any convincing reasons? A USP perhaps?
So what you are saying is that VOLVO has not worked hard enough to create a "brand value" - to that I agree, but I also feel that VOLVOS today are brilliant pieces of automotive engineering.

The reason for none of us buying a VOLVO ? I really have no answer to that, maybe resale value ?? But I know for a fact that I am looking at buying the XC60 when it is launched - provided of course that the price is right & the drive is worth the money.

Each to his own !!!


Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 21:17   #66
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,894
Thanked: 9,745 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
The reason why they may not be a luxury brand is because Volvo make most of their revenue by selling heavy equipment, like trucks, buses, tippers, cranes, etc. So since they make these, people may frown upon the cars coming from their stable. Seeing a Volvo bus carrying passengers puts off certain people from buying a car from the same manufacturer. That's my belief = People's perception about the brand.
Only volvo cars were sold to Ford. Volvo trucks and construction equipment are another entity. Volvo brand image is an issue over here since the trucks came first. But again, Mercedes make trucks too
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 22:04   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,255 Times
Default

Reason for not buying one? Market presence, as much as anything, I guess.

Notwithstanding the fact that I am at the Maruti end of the market, I could go straight to dealers for BMW, Mercedes, VW, Honda, Skoda without even looking up dealer addresses on the net. Volvo? Is there a Volvo car dealer in Chennai?

So, anyone who wants a Volvo here, right at the start, has to put some work into finding one!

Why they appeal to me personally: design factor... I like the way they look. I do not believe that they still are still outstanding in either safety or reliability these days. Cars at all levels of the market have come a long way since those days.

Afterthought: I can even visualise locations for bike, truck, mini-truck dealers: vehicles I would never be in the market for --- but not a Volco car dealer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th March 2010 at 22:06.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 08:01   #68
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 2 Times
Exclamation

Hi,
I never thought there are so many VOLVO lovers in India.

Since i have booked for a new S80
I am selling my 1996 volvo 960 petrol in great condition for 3L
If anyone is interested mail me.


Regards,
Avinash.
avinashimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:15   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,847
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
Hi,
I never thought there are so many VOLVO lovers in India.

Since i have booked for a new S80
I am selling my 1996 volvo 960 petrol in great condition for 3L
If anyone is interested mail me.


Regards,
Avinash.

Now right here on T-Bhp is a VOLVO owner. Not only buying the S80, but already owning a VOLVO sedan

Thanks Avinash for posting !!



Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:53   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I know they rank quite high on safety standards, but they suffer poor brand value and presence.
They are also viewed as a "senior citizen's car" (no offences there) at least in the EU and not associated with a youthful, risk-accepting fast-lane lifestyle image...

@avinashimpex, what prevents you from posting a writeup with some pictures of your 960, and a buying experience of the S80? Please consider...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 31st March 2010 at 11:59.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,255 Times
Default

Quote:
They are also viewed as a "senior citizen's car" (no offences there) at least in the EU and not associated with a youthful, risk-accepting fast-lane lifestyle image...
That suits me jut fine!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 19:21   #72
BHPian
 
Grafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
Hi,
I never thought there are so many VOLVO lovers in India.

Since i have booked for a new S80
I am selling my 1996 volvo 960 petrol in great condition for 3L
If anyone is interested mail me.


Regards,
Avinash.


Replacing one volvo with another?

RESPECT!
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 20:29   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

@avinash: Can you give us warranty details about the S80?
Like till when is the warranty applicable? Do they have any service packages to offer?
Engine choices?
I like the idea of a subtle comfortable and RELIABLE car. Would the Volvo fit these criterion? Is it more reliable than a E Class? Are spares easily available? Is it as comfortable as the auto mags make it out to be?
The volvo india site is very poorly organized with no information about prices and proper details.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 18:34   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
Hi,
I never thought there are so many VOLVO lovers in India.

Since i have booked for a new S80
I am selling my 1996 volvo 960 petrol in great condition for 3L
If anyone is interested mail me.
Whoa! so you are a die hard Volvo fan. Its weird because one of my relatives in Southeast Asia is a die hard fan of Saab, another Swedish car manufacturer. I know its off topic, but the point I am trying to make is that there are plenty of folks who swear by Swedish cars. Once they drive them, they prefer the replacements to be the same! That relative has been driving Saabs for the past decade! By the way, the 960 you mentioned here has to be import right? I mean I doubt if those cars were sold in India (correct me if worng). Nice to see a Swedish car fan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 22:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,255 Times
Default

I loved Saab too. The company is no more, I think? Sad!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
28th March Pune - Mumbai Meet @ Sunny Da Dhaba - FINAL program mentioned in post #226 yatinchoubal The Team-BHP Meet Section 465 7th December 2009 18:08
ET: Luxury cars at throwaway prices! article on pre-owned luxury car business aditya101 Super-Cars & Imports in India 51 17th June 2009 17:52
Turbocharged Bangy Baleno (tbhp-ians?) mentioned in AutoMania supremeBaleno Shifting gears 12 17th October 2006 10:41
The most fuel effecient car -- why not in India yet? Rayden The International Automotive Scene 12 3rd June 2006 09:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks