Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 02:15   #151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 36
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

my i20 is coming in a few days from now... called up mukesh hyundai.... they said 1 more month for the new one to come...


is the 6th gear a good thing to wait for?
ifly is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 10:16   #152
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
my i20 is coming in a few days from now... called up mukesh hyundai.... they said 1 more month for the new one to come...
is the 6th gear a good thing to wait for?
It is a first Hatch in India to have 6th gear and majority of us will agree that its definitely worth a wait
driving_smartly is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 10:46   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

I also saw the ad for the new i20 and was quite surprised and impresses to see the 6th gear addition.

The new car will have blue LEDs for the console illumination, whcih looks real good at night, 6 Speed CRDi, ORVM Turn Indicators and the image showed a sun roof, which I am not sure if they will provide.
thedreamcatcher is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 11:19   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default

^^ In addition to that ,

Quote:
The all new i20 is the first-in-the-segment to have technology innovations like manual transmission shift indicators (diesel variant) an innovative gear prompt for the driver to change gears, leading to maximum fuel economy.
and may be this also is a first in India.

Source
wildon is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 11:51   #155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,652 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
It is a first Hatch in India to have 6th gear and majority of us will agree that its definitely worth a wait
Specially, if you are a regular highway user!

Dont know how much of a difference it would make in city runs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
the image showed a sun roof, which I am not sure if they will provide.
Sunroof was always a standard on the i20 option pack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
^^ In addition to that , and may be this also is a first in India.
Gear change indicator? I guess VW Polo should get the claim for being the first to have that feature.

Hatch segment is changing fast, for the better!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 13:00   #156
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default

The 6 Speed Gearbox is a very good addition as the current 5 speed box's tall ratios affect the driveability adversely, Addition of one more gear will mean closely spaced ratios to help city driveabiity and the tall 6th gear will help the car on highways plus the FE will be even better on open roads.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 15:12   #157
BHPian
 
gvivek75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Yet to experience what a 6 gear car feels like to drive. What I do remember is that after using a series of 4 gear bikes, when I bought my 5 gear Pulsar I was able to manage different levels of acceleration/speed much better than I had ever done before.
gvivek75 is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 15:52   #158
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,207 Times
Default

Quote:
I was able to manage different levels of acceleration/speed
But, for the vast majority of my driving life, it is ease of driving that matters, not what the car might, if I was forever gear changing, achieve!

This is one of the reasons I like driving a diesel.

If I remember right, my parents' cars, when I was a child (50s/60s), cars had only three forward gears. I guess we'll get used to six!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 16:17   #159
BHPian
 
highsteem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 123
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

why! why! why! Hyundai, why should you discontinue 6 air bags in the top diesel model? I know probably you did not sell even a single model but things are bound to change, people will notice that you have 6 air bags in your top model and will come back ultimately. I am really sad for this. Or am I wrong, the top model did not have 6 air-bags in the first place? Sigh...
highsteem is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 16:22   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Where is the position of 6th gear. Will it create confusion during shifting?
poloman is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 17:02   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
why! why! why! Hyundai, why should you discontinue 6 air bags in the top diesel model? I know probably you did not sell even a single model but things are bound to change, people will notice that you have 6 air bags in your top model and will come back ultimately. I am really sad for this. Or am I wrong, the top model did not have 6 air-bags in the first place? Sigh...
Is that true?
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 17:47   #162
BHPian
 
gvivek75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But, for the vast majority of my driving life, it is ease of driving that matters, not what the car might, if I was forever gear changing, achieve!

This is one of the reasons I like driving a diesel.
I'm sorry but I don't buy the ease of driving argument in this case. Anyway there is automatic transmission for that. Come to think of it, there is a reason why most performance cars come with stick-shift and not auto.
gvivek75 is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 17:47   #163
BHPian
 
SpinWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 80
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

One more thing about this model which does not make sense to me is - Sportz variant in diesel(if any) will not have ABS as standard equipment, as per the website. sad :(
SpinWizard is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 17:56   #164
BHPian
 
car-dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 132
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Where is the position of 6th gear. Will it create confusion during shifting?
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 2331
Size:  176.0 KB
its below the 5th gear.
car-dent is offline  
Old 9th April 2010, 18:03   #165
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't buy the ease of driving argument in this case. Anyway there is automatic transmission for that. Come to think of it, there is a reason why most performance cars come with stick-shift and not auto.
Performance cars? What performance cars? Certainly not a i20, or anything else in its segment.

If I really wanted more umph I'd go for petrol, and do most of my driving in lower gears.

Of course, even trundling along in my diesel Swift, I do sometimes put my foot down and accelerate hard --- there is that choice. On the other hand, the diesel often still has headroom to spare in 3rd, or even 4th, when a petrol would be demanding a change down, and that is what I like.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th April 2010 at 18:04.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM applies for patent of its new 9 speed automatic transmission-full details sidindica The International Automotive Scene 7 30th September 2012 09:34
EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features . sidindica The Indian Car Scene 670 21st May 2011 03:51
Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18 FlyingSpur The Indian Car Scene 526 12th October 2010 00:51
Fiat Punto BS4-New petrol variants added-details and prices sidindica The Indian Car Scene 68 31st March 2010 15:20
New W212 Mercedes E Class and upcoming models from Mercedes India - Full details sidindica The Indian Car Scene 12 25th September 2009 15:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks