Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th March 2010, 11:55   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Hyundai to shift a part of i20 production to Turkey

from Hyundai to shift a part of i20 production to Turkey | Top News

India's largest exporter of passenger cars and the second largest player in the Indian automotive market, Hyundai Motors India has recently announced that company will be shifting a part of the i20 production to Turkey by the end of June 2010.
The move comes as the company is very close to exhaust its full capacity of 6 lakh units at its two Chennai units. Moreover, analysts believe the labour problems that the company has suffered over the past couple of years have also added fuel to think aggressively about this strategy.
While after shifting the production to Turkey, Hyundai is expected to take the waiting period over the i20 by over 2-3 weeks as its capacity will be more utilised for the Indian market the company has also shifted its export focus to markets like Australia and New Zealand from the European market.
It is normally the scenario that the production is split 50:50 into domestic sales and exports but the company is making a move as the sales are more tilting towards the domestic market. Notably, the company is also working to launch a car below the Santro i. e. an 800cc car which is expected to debut somewhere around 2012.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 18:36   #2

Hope this reduces the waiting period for i20 and allows Hyundai to concentrate more on the domestic market. Hope they do not use the extra capacity to target new markets.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 08:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is bad news for Indian economy and automotive industry.

I would have been happy if Hyundai started a second plant in India. Instead they chose to start the plant in another country. This is either because of labour problems or they wanted a plant near the European market.

Essentially this news means jobs that could have been created in India has moved to another country. Lesser exports from India too.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote