Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th March 2010, 18:56   #1
BHPian

Default Graduation of Driving Schools - Cars used - Santro/Wagon R

It seems driving schools have graduated from using M800 to Santro and Wagon-R for providing trainings.

At least in Pune, I see only Santro and Wagon-R used for trainings in and around where I stay. I don't even see Alto being used.

How is the scenario in other cities of India?
Simhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:19   #2
BHPian

I've seen Swifts, Estilos, and ritz here in Bangalore.
When you enroll for a driving lesson, you get to choose from M800, Alto(power steering/ normal), WagonR, Santro and swift, For learning a sedan you have our indian Merc, the Esteem
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:28   #3
BHPian

As mentioned above, Swift is being used more commonly now. The Maruti School uses Ritz and DZire as well here.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons for choosing WagonR and Santro for driving schools that they are easily available in CNG/LPG (both aftermarket and dealer fitted).

For their kind of running it makes a lot of sense, and without really compromising on the ease of driving these cars offer despite running on alternate fuels.

Besides, a potential Swift or i20 customer would rather like to learn on a comparatively more powerful car than the puny 800 so that adjusting driving style from driving school car to own car is not much difficult.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th March 2010 at 20:46.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:41   #5
BHPian

I have seen M800, Santro and Indica in Hyderabad. Never seen any premium hatchback as training car..
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 22:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well there is one Driving school here in Nagpur,with ISO certifications.They have got a state of the art simulator and cars ranging from a Nano to good Tata Safari's, Octy's too.There are over 80 vehicles owned by school.

Last edited by agspins : 25th March 2010 at 22:30.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata has M800, alto, santro, wagon R. Never seen anything else.
P.S - I learnt driving in a brand new civic and had options of mustang and camry (lucky me)

Last edited by blackasta : 25th March 2010 at 23:52.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 00:06   #8
BHPian

There is one driving school in Kagdaspura, Bangalore. They have cars like Accent, Swift Diesel, Santro, WagonR etc.

In Jan last week while I was driving to my friend's place in Kottarakkara, Kerala I saw a driving school's Nano waiting to take a U-turn on NH-47 somewhere near Haripad . I had a camera with me but unfortunately I could not click a picture since we were behind schedule and could not afford to lose time to take a U-turn.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 26th March 2010 at 00:09.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 16:40   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know, if driving schools really wanted to offer a "complete driving education", they have students progressing from one car to another. Example : Start with a Nano...great car to learn the basics. Light, cheap, good visibility and peppy enough. Then, move on to the Alto or Santro with some proper bumper-to-bumper driving thrown in. Next, a Swift or preferably an Indica. Final touch up on a Dzire or Indigo (with parallel parking, highway driving etc.). The cost of such a program will be substantially more expensive than the usual fare (rubbish?) that most driving schools churn out. But I do believe there is a market for a comprehensive training program. That is, from those students who actually want to become good drivers.

Personally, if anyone from my family wanted to learn driving, I'd be sure to throw in some lessons on the Jeep too. Once you master the Jeep, driving any other car is a breeze!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 17:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Once you master the Jeep, driving any other car is a breeze!
My dad says the same ! He learnt driving in old willy's jeep and old vw beetle.
Old 27th March 2010, 02:58   #11

@GTO I believe that sort of formal training for driving is given in most driving schools across U.S.A.
paraskhurana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 03:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know, if driving schools really wanted to offer a "complete driving education", they have students progressing from one car to another. Example : Start with a Nano...great car to learn the basics. Light, cheap, good visibility and peppy enough. Then, move on to the Alto or Santro with some proper bumper-to-bumper driving thrown in. Next, a Swift or preferably an Indica. Final touch up on a Dzire or Indigo (with parallel parking, highway driving etc.). The cost of such a program will be substantially more expensive than the usual fare (rubbish?) that most driving schools churn out. But I do believe there is a market for a comprehensive training program. That is, from those students who actually want to become good drivers.

Personally, if anyone from my family wanted to learn driving, I'd be sure to throw in some lessons on the Jeep too. Once you master the Jeep, driving any other car is a breeze!

This is a fantastic idea, there is a chance that this might just work!
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 10:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraskhurana View Post
@GTO I believe that sort of formal training for driving is given in most driving schools across U.S.A.
Nopes. Its just a question asked 'what car would you like to learn in?'
Old 27th March 2010, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Well, I learnt (at the driving school) on an Esteem. I absolutely love that car. And GTO is right. And if they (driving schools) cannot offer a progressive course, they should atleast have an option of a bigger (dzire/logan/indigo) car. For me, learning on a 'long' car helped a lot in developing my judgment in bumper to bumper traffic and tight parking spaces.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 22:05   #15
BHPian

I have seen mostly Santros, M800's and Altos. I learned driving (from the driving school that is) in a Tempo-Trax !!. At home practiced with an Ambassador.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote