Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2011, 22:18   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Does US norms require a ultra reinforced dog-bar, or just a dog-bar.

Actually, Aravind, India too gets the dog-bar, but then, seriously, does US have some norms over its stiffness?. If not why couldn't it be standard.

I for one, has gained a lot from the dog-bar in my car. I'm all for it.
I really don't know boss But I just think that the tougher to meet safety norms in the U.S. might have required it. As they need a car to have a ANCAP rating, airbags, ABS, ESP and things standard to be allowed to be sold there.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:26   #1157
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ AFAIK, the dog-bar does not increase the safety of the occupants, but protects some major (costly) parts like the radiator et al, in the even of a frontal collision with say a dog.

The bumpers will definitely be fragile, blame it on pedestrian safety norms and hence the dog bar will be of great assistance.
Old 6th May 2011, 07:34   #1158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
On the other hand, I would like the 1.6L, 90 PS diesel for the base versions and a VGT fitted version of the same 1.6L diesel mill producing around 120 PS for the top end versions maybe with the face lifted Fiesta at least. I know its miles away from reality, but just hope Ford provide a powerful Diesel to enjoy the entertaining handling 'economically'.
1.6 TDCi will come fitted with a VGT from start.

Quote:
Mustang, sorry if I'm too pushy, but, why would US want an extra heavy duty impact bars upfront?. Shouldn't it be the opposite, as in India we have lot of stray dogs running here and there?
The fiesta there requires this extra heavy bean owing to the american safety standards which are different from the rest of the world. I think it is due to the fact that almost all cars are bigger than the fiesta there and hence to deal with SUVs (America's Favorite) and other long sedans, this move has been done.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:42   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
The fiesta there requires this extra heavy bean owing to the american safety standards which are different from the rest of the world. I think it is due to the fact that almost all cars are bigger than the fiesta there and hence to deal with SUVs (America's Favorite) and other long sedans, this move has been done.
Mustang, you have given us invaluable information and I really appreciate your care in answering each and every quires.

Buttt... cmon man!!.. The impact bars seriously cannot be there for protection against SUV's. AFAIK, an impact bar behind the bumper does not make the occupants safer. What is does is just protect some of the costly components whist a minor frontal impact.

Pedestrian safety norms, and passenger safety norms are OK, but US norms for protecting the radiator?
Old 6th May 2011, 12:46   #1160
BANNED

Quote:
Mustang, you have given us invaluable information and I really appreciate your care in answering each and every quires.

Buttt... cmon man!!.. The impact bars seriously cannot be there for protection against SUV's. AFAIK, an impact bar behind the bumper does not make the occupants safer. What is does is just protect some of the costly components whist a minor frontal impact.

Pedestrian safety norms, and passenger safety norms are OK, but US norms for protecting the radiator?
1. I did not mean protecting the people inside the car (fiesta), I meant protecting the car itself from a bump which may result from a SUV or Sedan rolling into the fiesta, at a red light or at similar slow speeds.

2. Since the front end was completely redesigned for the US for pedestrian safety, The new structure could not accommodate the existing front impact bar and then this new bar was designed keeping point 1 in mind.

Probably I should have stated this more clearly in my previous post, I read it just now, it was not very clear.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:10   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Ah thats a good reason now. But why not offer them on the Fiestas of the rest of the world too? Its going to make an already safe car, an even safer car right?
Old 6th May 2011, 17:01   #1162
BANNED

Quote:
Ah thats a good reason now. But why not offer them on the Fiestas of the rest of the world too? Its going to make an already safe car, an even safer car right?
Restructured front US car = Restructured front bar

It won't fit in the European car as the European car is not a restructured version. Moreover, it adds on extra weight.

Plus restructuring the European (including Indian, Thai, Chinese etc.) versions will cost the company which would ultimately be passed on to the consumer and no one wants that.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:39   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Oh. So the additional weight at the front overhang means that the U.S. version might not handle as entertainingly as Fiestas from the other parts of the world too?
Old 7th May 2011, 18:18   #1164
BANNED

Quote:
Oh. So the additional weight at the front overhang means that the U.S. version might not handle as entertainingly as Fiestas from the other parts of the world too?
Its not that bad as there is additional weight in the extreme rear also. However the US version should a few 0.XX seconds slower than the european or indian version.

By the way here is how the voice controls for various functions work :

The last one has a better quality than the rest.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 7th May 2011 at 18:28.
Mustang.101 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 19:11   #1165
BHPian

@ Mustang, I heard from the service people today that the car would come with an extended warranty upto 8 years. Is that correct? According to the service people, they went for the training for the new fiesta and this info came from there. If that is going to be correct, it is going to be a revolutionary step.
Old 7th May 2011, 19:24   #1166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
@ Mustang, I heard from the service people today that the car would come with an extended warranty upto 8 years. Is that correct? According to the service people, they went for the training for the new fiesta and this info came from there. If that is going to be correct, it is going to be a revolutionary step.
I have no idea about this. But it most likely is not true.
Old 7th May 2011, 20:45   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Extended warranty covering four or five years is believable. But an 8 year warranty sounds a like stretching it a bit too much though.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:45   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
By the way here is how the voice controls for various functions work
Thats pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing these Mustang. And from the video clips, it looks like system does not have much issue recognising various accents.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:54   #1169
BHPian

This is super cool. It is so tempting to go for Fiesta just for this. I am absolutely in love with this.
Old 8th May 2011, 13:57   #1170
Senior - BHPian

I've had voice recognition in my mobiles, but mostly they dont recognise what I say. The system would mostly misunderstand and do something else and hence I never trusted such a system. But this is really cool now! Fiesta understands our accent too! Great job Ford !
Closed Thread