Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 18:01   #1231
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post


So the Fiesta S beat the Civic but lost out to CRV. That would mean that the heavier CRV (with higher CoG) is faster than the lighter Civic (with better power to weight ratio) around the track. I find that very very hard to believe.
AWD at work I guess. I will check if I can find the hard copy and share the scan here
anachronix is online now  
Old 16th May 2011, 18:25   #1232
BHPian
 
kadanaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 348
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel
BTW, I too do agree with the view that Ford is not using the full potential of its awesome handling Fiesta by putting lower powered engines. Then need to do justice to the car by putting in a more powerful engine. Think of it, a Fiesta which handles nearly (I say nearly as a different engine would most likely result in different weight distribution of the car) the same, but with more power (so faster acceleration out of corners and on the straight!) Wouldn't that be something
Exactly the point I'm trying to make.
The fiesta is a brilliant car, but with more power it would be even better.
It would be nice if the least had a 120+bhp diesel as an option.
kadanaJ is offline  
Old 16th May 2011, 18:53   #1233
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Ford does offer a 122 bhp petrol to exploit the Fiesta's limits fully guys! Nobody seems to be talking about this or even noticing this Rising fuel prices are to blame here, not Ford then
But I have to agree with you guys, a 120 bhp diesel would be really nice, sure. But none of us have driven the 1.6D yet, have we? Comparing the 105bhp Diesel Vento with the 128bhp Diesel Verna, the Verna hasn't shown a significant advantage over the Vento in accleration figures right? So lets wait before jumping into a conclusion guys.
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 16th May 2011, 19:11   #1234
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,599
Thanked: 8,587 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

I think the very fact that it handles so well is because the body dynamics of the car is hand in glove with the kind of acceleration which the engine provides.

If you in increase the power delivery, the dynamics would be totally different. Would it not?
Plus by reducing the delivery, Ford may also gain on FE.


Any thoughts on that?
ampere is offline  
Old 16th May 2011, 20:13   #1235
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the very fact that it handles so well is because the body dynamics of the car is hand in glove with the kind of acceleration which the engine provides.

If you in increase the power delivery, the dynamics would be totally different. Would it not?
Plus by reducing the delivery, Ford may also gain on FE.


Any thoughts on that?
I don't think so buddy. If then, the Diesel Fiesta should be a better handler than the Petrol sibling as the petrol has 32 more horses than the Diesel. Handling mainly depends upon the Chassis stifness, Suspension stiffness, Damper settings, C.O.G., Wheelbase, Track width and Tyre compound, width and profile too
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 16th May 2011, 20:16   #1236
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,599
Thanked: 8,587 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Good point. Then how different is the petrol Fiesta built compared to Diesel Fiesta?
Is it highly differentiating?
ampere is offline  
Old 16th May 2011, 21:02   #1237
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good point. Then how different is the petrol Fiesta built compared to Diesel Fiesta?
Is it highly differentiating?
As far as I know, everything that I had mentioned, to have an influence over the handlin, apart from their Engines and the weight of the engines should be the same.
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 16th May 2011, 21:09   #1238
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 525
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

IMO, Outright 'PS/bhp' doesn't makes that much reliable sense in Real-time driving conditions, like Ford Figo/Fiesta's 1st gen 1.4l, 68PS TDCi engine is much more driveable & faster(In in-gear acceleration) than 2nd gen 1.4l 90PS CRDi engine of i20.

I'm sure this 90PS 1.6l Ford Fiesta's engine will be a Real-Scorcher in real-time driving conditions. Expect its Spirited-ness to rival Vento's 1.6l TDi engine, rest Ford-Driving DNA advantage will be a Surprise in the package.
CRtorquefan is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 07:34   #1239
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
So If I am wrong then the launch may happen by the end of this month also.
Hope this turns out to be true...launch by this month end . This will add the real spice to the already heated up segment with inclusions of Vento and Verna.

Vento is praised for its "Drivers car" tag & Verna for loads of features...Fiesta is well known for its handling capabilities & hope it covers important features that Verna offers. Having best of both worlds with pricing structure falling at similar or one step lesser bracket in addition to no "waiting periods" will be a fun to watch

Please do keep us posted as and when you get any info on the possible launch dates
Surprise is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 12:54   #1240
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
IMO, Outright 'PS/bhp' doesn't makes that much reliable sense in Real-time driving conditions, like Ford Figo/Fiesta's 1st gen 1.4l, 68PS TDCi engine is much more driveable & faster(In in-gear acceleration) than 2nd gen 1.4l 90PS CRDi engine of i20.

I'm sure this 90PS 1.6l Ford Fiesta's engine will be a Real-Scorcher in real-time driving conditions. Expect its Spirited-ness to rival Vento's 1.6l TDi engine, rest Ford-Driving DNA advantage will be a Surprise in the package.
Definitely true. Unless when I am really in the mood to speed, I prefer not to change the gears and I just simply floor the pedal in the gear I am in. Most taxi guys do this too - getting to the Overdrive gear ASAP and then flooring the pedal to go fast. In such cases, the Fiesta would definitely be the more fun to drive car, with close to zero turbo-lag. Ford wants that too, which is why Ford never adds a bigger turbo, as a bigger turbo would increse peak power and torque output, but will add odles of turbo lag too. Usable power is what counts, Fiesta has it So it will not match the Verna when both cars are being driven spiritedly, changing gears close to the red line, otherwise Fiesta would be faster, when Verna's turbo wouldn't have spooled up yet.
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 17th May 2011, 14:24   #1241
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 170
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

I think the new fiesta will sell really good. The only thing that bothers me in this car is one cannot sit in the rear seats because there is hardly any space which can be classified as leg room and due to the coupe like roof I think 6 footers will have some good amount of problem in the rear.
sreejinair is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 18:32   #1242
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I think the new fiesta will sell really good. The only thing that bothers me in this car is one cannot sit in the rear seats because there is hardly any space which can be classified as leg room and due to the coupe like roof I think 6 footers will have some good amount of problem in the rear.
The new Fiesta has more space for the rear bench than the Fiesta Classic. So if the Fiesta Classic was able to sell, the new Fiesta, which betters the old model in almost all aspects should sell really well too. So no worries buddy !
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 17th May 2011, 19:13   #1243
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Mustang.101,

As per a sales executive of a Ford dealer, they had received information from their HQ that New Fiesta launch is on 1st June 2011. He is pretty sure about those dates & indicated they have taken 35 booking so far for the new fiesta. Added that there are no cancellation charges & 50k is booking amount. Any clue on this?

Will the prices announced on same day or it will be on a different date? Have to start counting days for the TBHP review on New Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So it will not match the Verna when both cars are being driven spiritedly, changing gears close to the red line, otherwise Fiesta would be faster, when Verna's turbo wouldn't have spooled up yet.
Can you explain it in layman's language...if its already explained in that language, please simplify it even more for the benefit for guys like me


Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The new Fiesta has more space for the rear bench than the Fiesta Classic. So if the Fiesta Classic was able to sell, the new Fiesta, which betters the old model in almost all aspects should sell really well too. So no worries buddy !
That is one important criteria, where both Verna and Vento has fared decently, which needs to be addressed. Good that it has got more space.

All the praises on old fiesta handling/performance + Vento delayed delivery, uncertainty over A.S.S, possibility of lifted version of Vento + ANHV not clicking to heart' are different reasons that pushed me to look into New Fiesta. Postponed the purchase decision to launch of Fiesta

Last edited by Surprise : 17th May 2011 at 19:15.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 19:49   #1244
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Can you explain it in layman's language...if its already explained in that language, please simplify it even more for the benefit for guys like me
In cars like the Verna, the engine produces a lot of power from a relatively small engine by use of a large turbo to boost the engine output. Hence these engines have more turbo lag. Hence when the engine speed is below a certain engine speed (typically around 2000 rpm) the engine struggles to pull. When the engine speed crosses 2000 rpm its a different story altogether. But Fiesta has a smaller turbo hence doesn't have much of a problem at low engine speeds.

Now lets assume both the Verna and Fiesta acheive 2000 rpm in 5th gear at a speed of 100. We slot both the cars into 5th gear at 60 kmph, say. Now we floor the accelerators at the same time. In this case, the Fiesta would reach 100 kmph much faster than the Verna would, imaginarily the Fiesta would be at 100kmph when the Verna would have got to only 85 kmph. But after 100kmph (2000rpm), a distinctive boost in power (nearly absent in the Fiesta) will pull the Verna forward at a faster rate than the Fiesta. Imaginarily, the Fiesta could've reached 115 kmph when the Verna gets to 100 kmph. But at 140 kmph or so, both the cars could have taken the same time, beyond which the Verna would be faster than the Fiesta

Last edited by aravind.anand : 17th May 2011 at 19:54. Reason: speed units weren't mentioned.
aravind.anand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 20:32   #1245
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
In cars like the Verna, the engine produces a lot of power from a relatively small engine by use of a large turbo to boost the engine output. Hence these engines have more turbo lag. Hence when the engine speed is below a certain engine speed (typically around 2000 rpm) the engine struggles to pull. When the engine speed crosses 2000 rpm its a different story altogether. But Fiesta has a smaller turbo hence doesn't have much of a problem at low engine speeds.

Now lets assume both the Verna and Fiesta acheive 2000 rpm in 5th gear at a speed of 100. We slot both the cars into 5th gear at 60 kmph, say. Now we floor the accelerators at the same time. In this case, the Fiesta would reach 100 kmph much faster than the Verna would, imaginarily the Fiesta would be at 100kmph when the Verna would have got to only 85 kmph. But after 100kmph (2000rpm), a distinctive boost in power (nearly absent in the Fiesta) will pull the Verna forward at a faster rate than the Fiesta. Imaginarily, the Fiesta could've reached 115 kmph when the Verna gets to 100 kmph. But at 140 kmph or so, both the cars could have taken the same time, beyond which the Verna would be faster than the Fiesta

debatable.
The verna has a variable geometry unit.
we'll have to see on the road.
And as it is, the verna has been acknowledged as a screamer on straights, compared to most others in this segment.
hurts me to say it, but what to do.
mayankk is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India parrys The Indian Car Scene 366 17th December 2013 00:02
Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai parrys The Indian Car Scene 201 10th September 2013 07:10
2012 Mahindra Rodeo RZ Unveiled - Ride Report & Pics parrys Motorbikes 18 9th June 2013 07:47
Pics & Report : Mercedes B-Class unveiled @ Buddh theMAG The Indian Car Scene 37 18th September 2012 14:35
Please help me decide: Fiesta S or Fiesta ZXi? EDIT: Booked Fiesta S! Pics on pg5. frankmehta Sedans 108 18th August 2009 13:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks