Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2010, 20:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Kia Picanto is one product that ll be a hit in india for sure, looks cute, proportionate, is as broad as a Swift and costs as much an A star with all the bell's and whistles.
Old 16th April 2010, 20:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Kia Picanto is one product that ll be a hit in india for sure, looks cute, proportionate, is as broad as a Swift and costs as much an A star with all the bell's and whistles.
Actually, KIA Picanto and Hyundai Santro are the same car, with different badge. Old Picanto versions looks exactly the same as old Santros.
Old 17th April 2010, 22:20   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't foresee Kia branded hatchbacks & sedans coming to India anytime soon. Internationally, Kia is positioned below Hyundai - a cheaper Hyundai if you wish. With the price of the Santro & Accent being where they are, there's simply no room for Kia in the fiercely competitive B & C segments. We can also forget about any 10+ lakh Kias. Hyundai themselves haven't been able to crack the million rupee code. It's hard to think of Indian buyers paying 15 lakh for a Kia over a Toyota, Honda, Skoda or VW.

What Hyundai could do, and its something they've probably thought about already, is bring in the Kia brand for MUVs. The Korean giant does have quite a few capable people movers, and some great diesels too. Kia MUV's would serve another crucial purpose : Maintain the Hyundai brand's purity as a personal owner car. Not everyone can do a Toyota (i.e. have the market accept a taxi Qualis & a 25 lakh Camry). I do think it makes amazing sense to bring in Kia MUVs. Would give Hyundai much needed volumes.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Actually, KIA Picanto and Hyundai Santro are the same car, with different badge. Old Picanto versions looks exactly the same as old Santros.

Yes similar headlight and tail light design but Picanto is way broader than a Santro. The broadness is almost Get'z/Swift Size. I took a test drive of a picanto some months back when I almost decided to buy one here in UK. Super impressed with the car for its price and engine.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Yes similar headlight and tail light design but Picanto is way broader than a Santro. The broadness is almost Get'z/Swift Size. I took a test drive of a picanto some months back when I almost decided to buy one here in UK. Super impressed with the car for its price and engine.
Picanto is based on a shortened getz platform.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:13   #36
BHPian

Default KIA looking out to roll their cars in India

Source:

Pictures - Pictures/Videos - News in Pictures | Economic Times

If it really happens, then we would have a better competition and better options to pick.

Speculated line-up of models from KIA looks impressive.

MODS: Didn't find related post, if one exists please merge it.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 22nd June 2010 at 16:15.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:54   #37
BHPian

Cool!!! Another Korean company in India. Acutally Hyundai has established its position well in India. Now we need to wait and see who will promote KIA. Karan Johar? or ? ;-)
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

KIA is another Hyundai subsidiary. Many of the designs shared between KIA and Hyundai.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good move for we will have more choice. But the models dont look that promising, but they can enjoy in terms of being the sibling of Hyundai.
I wonder if they would be sharing the manufacturing facility with Hyundai initially and later on spin off. That makes more sense.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:31   #40
BHPian

This is interesting. The logic of launching C-, D-segment sedans with the KIA marquee makes perfect sense as Hyundai doesn't have a presence in that segment. (Accent will soon be phased out, Embera isn't doing that well) What I am interested in is the big Indian hatchback market. It will be tricky to launch a KIA product and not cannibalize the Santro or the i10.
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Kia has a good number of small SUVs and crossovers.I think hyundai can launch those here with Kia brand.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:13   #42
BHPian

Default Small cars & sedans that Kia Motors may roll out in India

Kia Motors, South Korea’s second-largest carmaker, is set to drive into the fast-growing Indian car market and build a manufacturing facility here, a person with direct knowledge of the development said.

The company, partly owned by South Korea’s largest carmaker Hyundai Motors, will bring in compact cars, hatchbacks and entry-level sedans initially and will expand into compact sports utility vehicles later, said the person requesting anonymity.

Kia, known for its sleek but aggressively priced vehicles, is shifting its focus to Asia from its largest market Europe where demand is shrinking. “It is hunting for alternate markets after the 2008 financial meltdown,” the person said.

When contacted, a Kia spokesman said the company was in very early stages of conducting a feasibility study into the possible entry into India. “We are still a long way from making any decision,” he said.

The first person quoted, however, said Kia may launch its popular hatchbacks Picanto and Proceed, besides its top-selling sedans Forte and Rio.

The sedans will be pitted against the segment leader Honda City while the small cars could be competing with Maruti Ritz and Hyundai i10.

Kia will also roll out compact SUVs Soul and Sorento that would compete with the likes of Mahindra Scorpio and Maruti Suzuki’s Grand Vitara, said the person.

Indian car sales grew 25% to touch 15.26 lakh units for the year ended March. With the economy booming, the car market is expected to continue its impressive run.

Known as the small car ally of Hyundai, Kia has global sales of over 1.6 million vehicles a year produced across 14 manufacturing and assembly operations in major markets such as the US, Germany, Australia and China.

Kia had earlier attempted to enter India four years ago but eventually abandoned the plan due to sluggish growth in the Indian market during that period.

Now the company has engaged an international consultancy to conduct product clinics to test its cars for the Indian market besides a feasible study of a market launch.

The plan to re-look at India is also prompted by the success of Hyundai, whose twin-factories in Chennai makes it the largest Indian car exporter and the second largest carmaker in the country.

The move will also help Hyundai Kia Automotive Group to gain volumes in world’s second-fastest growing auto market. The group is the world’s fourth-largest carmaker behind Toyota, General Motors and Volkswagen.

Kia’s entry will also allow Hyundai to bridge the gap with market leader Maruti Suzuki in terms of combined sales volume.

Source: Small cars & sedans that Kia Motors may roll out in India| Economic Times

This could be yet another speculation from ET, or this time their source could be right. Your guess is as good as mine! But I have no doubt, having Kia in our market would do a world of good, especially in VFM terms, not sure about quality, though. Could be Hyundai's response to GM-SAIC?
Attached Images

Last edited by SunilM : 23rd June 2010 at 00:14.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:02   #43
BHPian

Kia has a good brand name, thanks to all the sports sponsorships they indulge in. Perhaps, their SUVs will sell better in India. As GTO said, Its highly unlikely that they would bring their smaller cars (B&C segment). I personally love the Sorento and Forte coupe. I guess the Carnival is a good choice for India, maybe?
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

One thing to note is how Hyundai and Kia have got their styling right (on the new cars). The designs might be "inspired" (maybe I should write copied) by multiple European and Japanese cars, but they are starting to look good.

While Kia is not an option in India (unless they can price it below the Hyundai's), they have come a long way. This actually gives me hope for our home grown manufacturers, namely Tata and Mahindra (not so much).
Old 9th July 2010, 09:18   #45
BHPian

Default Kia Soul

I doubt Kia would be coming to India, keeping in mind that Kai is basically sharing platforms with Hyundai.

Like Kia Morning / Hyundai Santro or Kia Cerato / Hyundai Elantra or Kia Rio / Hyundai Verna or Kia Ceed / Hyundai I20 or Kia Ceed Sw / Hyundai I30.

So its better of that Hyundai, sells these products rather than spending more money on creating a new Brand.

One product that can do extremely well in India would be the Kai Soul. Its also the most popular car from Kia across South east Asia.

If only Hyundai launch it.

Picture Source : Google
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Motors in India-kia-soul.jpg  

Closed Thread