Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th April 2010, 18:56   #1
BHPian

Default Ford replaces my faulty Endeavour

Hii all

This is my first thread on team bhp so please excuse me for any mistakes.

I was planning to buy to buy the new Ford Endeavour M/T in January 2010 so i visited both the ford dealerships in Chandigarh but both of them had a waiting of two to three months. So i called up my friends in other cities to esquire if the endy was available there, after a few days i got a call from Karnal Haryana that a 2009 December endeavour is available at the Karnal Dealership of ford but it was in Silver color, my preferred color was white. But the silver lining on the silver color was that the were offering giving away the insurance for free on it, so i thought that December 2009 hardly makes a difference and the discount thing made me think more positively for it (But the actual thing was that i wanted the endy ASAP ..... he he).

So i said yes and after a few days i was standing outside the karnal dealer's showroom and there it stood my silver steed all gleaming and shining. After all the paperwork was done the car was fitted with a few accessories and some fuel filled from a jerry can i was handed over the keys and lo behold the moment came for which i was waiting all along. I turned the key and the endy started with a resounding Roar. So the first stop after coming out of the dealership has to be the first fuel pump and so was it for me and after filling it up till the brims i paid obeisance at the first gurudwara i started for my 100km journey back home on the NH 1 but as soon as i reached NH 1 to my horror the Endy sputtered and just died on me, bang in the middle of the road. With my power gone i just steered (with a lot of effort, without the power steering) the endy to the side of the road.

I tried the ignition, nothing happened. I thought (to console my self) it must be the battery only , after all it’s a brand new 16lakh vehicle, what could happen to it. After trying myself for a few minutes I called up the service adviser at the ford dealership and told him about the situation and he promptly sent a mechanic to the spot. After battling with the engine for an hour or so and in the mean time trying jump starting the endy with the battery of my captive nothing happened.

By this time I had lost my patience ( I think I had to….) I blasted on the mechanic and the service adviser that you have to do something or else (beep beep beep beep). The dealership sent a recovery van and the endy My new endy, my silver streak my new baby, was loaded up on the van and taken to the dealership. By the time the endy reached the dealership it was 7PM and the workers started leaving the workshop, i parked my captive right in the middle of the gate blocking any movement. I told them that no body is leaving the workshop until my endeavour is started.

By now all the senior mechanics had converged on my endy and every body started guessing as to what might have gone wrong (and how to link it to my mistake). So they started saying that I had filled the endeavour with spurious diesel. I shouted back at them and said that their fuel might be wrong and full of kachraa. So the asked me to bring new fuel and the emptied the tank of my endy and cleaned the fuel pipes, filled in the new fuel, to my joy the car started, but died a few minutes later. Again L. By now it was 1AM the mechanics had tried everything they could think of. The computer was telling them nothing they even had some chief mechanic an fone from Chennai, he couldn’t suggest any thing either. Every body was tired but I was furious. I was nearing a heart attack (he he) but all the family members calmed me down and we decided to call it a day and come back the next day.

I couldn’t sleep for the remaining night and was ready by 8AM but the workshop opened at 10 so had to wait which seemed to be taking years. Finally we reached the dealership and as soon as we entered the workshop we were directed towards the office and the manager was all smiles and asked us to sit down offered us tea and other things and straight came to the point of the problem in my silver endy, he said that the could not locate any fault in the endy and they had informed the company about the same and the company has decided to change my vehicle with a new one (I thanked god for the good news but wondered how all this happened by 10:15 AM).

So the lorry with the 2010 model endeavours arrived after two hours outside the dealership got it down (Had to choose from three white color endeavours that had arrived, yes white color yippee) had the PDI done in front of my eyes and after all the formalities sped away from dealership. Rebuilding the confidence in the machine with every passing kilometer I reached Chandigarh, without any problems, he he touch wood. And after 10000 kilometers today my endy is flying without any hiccups or anything overcoming any thing on the road or off it.

Thanks Ford! I dint had to get into any big hassles to get my vehicle changed, even after all the paperwork had been done like the temp number the insurance the bills and everything

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th April 2010 at 19:04. Reason: Please take time to type in using proper punctuation and try using smaller sentences. Helps readability. Thanks
Gill22g is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:03   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase and looks like you got what you wanted.

You must be thankful to God you dint go for a Skoda.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:04   #3
BHPian

congratulations!
that's quite nice of ford,this is not something most other companies would do.
at team-bhp,we love pictures
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:07   #4
BHPian

Thanks grafin. You know what, i was looking at skoda laura too but in the end decided to go for endy.

Thanks sukrit. ill post pics as soon as i am eligible to do so.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th April 2010 at 19:13.
Gill22g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's quite an adventure. I think it was easier in your case to provide a replacement vehicle because it had not been registered yet. Congrats. You may want to move this to the review section and post a detailed report with pics.

EDIT: Post the VIN of the silver one in case you have it. The dealer may try to repair and sell it to some other unsuspecting soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Congrats on your purchase and looks like you got what you wanted.

You must be thankful to God you dint go for a Skoda.
Even Skoda has replaced a couple of faulty Superbs, but not fully free of cost like in this case.

Last edited by Gilead : 15th April 2010 at 19:27.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Man..congrats. This should inspire confidence in Ford to a great extent. Though Ford still has to fight against perception of high cost of service/spares etc, which is not factually true, for at least last couple of years, I havent come across a single thread here which suggests Ford has left them in lurch, unlike some other mfgrs.

After reading your thread, I am getting this sick feeling that the dealer tried to pass you a defective unit knowingly. Otherwise, an Endy, how come it was lying with them for months?
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:15   #7
BHPian

Congrats..!!

Endy will be my next vehicle (Provided they change the rear suspension setup)..!!

Cheers!!
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Tbhp and congrats on your new ride, looks like destiny played it's hand here, you wanted a white all along and finally you did get the white endeavour. That was pretty prompt of Ford to change your vehicle so quickly, wonder what was actually wrong with the Silver one.

Anyway, do enjoy your stay here and like Sukrit7 says above, please post some pictures.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

I must say that you are certainly lucky. I have never heard of a company replace a vehicle post registration unless directed by the court.
Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Congrats & cheers,

Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill22g View Post
....to my horror the Endy sputtered and just died on me, bang in the middle of the road. With my power gone i just steered (with a lot of effort, without the power steering) the endy to the side of the road.
Welcome Aboard! That was a miraculous escape you had, I must say.

I guess a meticulous test drive and a cursory look at the team-bhp's PDI check list could have saved you all the trouble.

Btw... guess there is something called a QC, which is mandatory for every vehicle to pass before it is delivered to the customer. Is that just an eye wash, then? or did that fuel in the jerry can play the trick???

The timeline of the entire incident makes me think that you escaped Ford's well devised foul game to pass you a lemon. The lucky you! Got a replacement in a jiffy.

Could you please elaborate more on the paperwork etc., Was the Original Endy registered? Did you drive home the replacement without being insured?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

That's really nice of ford.

It appears that only the temp registration was done, and not the permanent registration ?
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:41   #12
BHPian

Firstly let me congratulate you on your new 'white' Ford Endeavour!
This shows just how serious Ford is for the Indian market. Replacing a car post registration within 24 hours of delivery is unheard of here.
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and thank ford for their prompt response!!

I have the same question, was it temp registered? If not how did you solve the issue?
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:56   #14
BHPian

BIG discount + fresh replacement with your choice of color = luck wouldn't favour anyone more than that!!

Only thing in your post that was a little over the edge was :
By the time the endy reached the dealership it was 7PM and the workers started leaving the workshop, i parked my captive right in the middle of the gate blocking any movement. I told them that no body is leaving the workshop until my endeavour is started.

It was a manufacturing defect, not the dealership people's fault!!

Anyway, you've got a great vehicle there. Congratulations!!
Do share some pictures.
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:57   #15
lsp
BHPian

Gill,
I can only imagine the heartache and trauma that you had to go through to see the new car out of the showroom die down in the middle of the road and no one from the dealership able to fix it. I guess in your case we can say everything happens for the good. You got a fresher car in the color of your choice.

Did you have to pay anything above what you paid for the Silver Endy?? What about the accessories, insurance etc.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote