Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2013, 13:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Traffic do's and dont's - Important sections of the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
Section 130: The driver of a motor vehicle in any public place shall, on demand by any Police Officer in uniform, produce his Driving License, Registration Certificate, Insurance Certificate, Fitness Certificate and the Permit can be demanded in this manner by Officers of Motor Vehicles Department only..
Does this mean that even the non-traffic cops can stop us and demand to see our vehicle documents and also challan us? Nowadays, in Vashi, I see a lot of khaki clad cops stopping vehicles for checking of documents.

Last edited by amit : 4th February 2013 at 13:54.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 14:05   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Does this mean that even the non-traffic cops can stop us and demand to see our vehicle documents and also challan us? Nowadays, in Vashi, I see a lot of khaki clad cops stopping vehicles for checking of documents.
Hi amit,

Since I picked this up from bangalore traffic police website. This may imply traffic police only. Not sure if other cops have the authority to do so
PC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 23:12   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Since I picked this up from bangalore traffic police website. This may imply traffic police only. Not sure if other cops have the authority to do so
I see khaki clad cops sometimes checking vehicles here too. I was told they are from the RTO.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:39   #169
v10
BHPian

Default re: Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act)

While reading up on the motor vehicles act i see that there is the following clause,

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/li...7267468853.pdf

Rule 109 (2) implies that if a vehicle is not RHD, it can still be used if it has the right mechanical or electrical indicators.

a) What are these indicators, just left or right turn signals?

b) Does this mean that today if i walk into an RTO, i can legally register an LHD vehicle?
v10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 15:27   #170
BHPian

Quote:
...Since I picked this up from bangalore traffic police website. This may imply traffic police only. Not sure if other cops have the authority to do so
Plainly put, khaki cops can do traffic duty but traffic cops cannot do any non-traffic duty.

The logic is this. The khaki cops are responsible for maintaining law and order. Unruly traffic or long jams may lead to tempers flaring which may result in chaos and disorder. Hence, as a preventive measure, the khaki cops can direct traffic and take up other functions that are otherwise normally under the preserve of the traffic police.

Khaki police also has the right to check if the vehicle has the valid documents, search your vehicle in case of suspicion, etc. However, as far as I understand, they can only write you challans not related to traffic.

For instance, say you cross a stop line. The traffic police will challan you for crossing a stop line while a khaki policeman may challan you for dangerous driving, endangering other road users, etc.

In short, the khaki police can pretty much do everything the traffic police can with respect to motoring related incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
...Does this mean that today if i walk into an RTO, i can legally register an LHD vehicle?
New LHD vehicles cannot be registered anymore. Older registered ones are allowed to ply on the roads if they depict the adequate markings.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 16:15   #171
BHPian

Does anyone know of [FONT=&quot]any regulations in force in India which make it obligatory for car manufacturers to ensure availability of spare parts for a specific numbers of years after discontinuing production of a particular model.

Many thanks for any responses.
[/FONT]
aghosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 11:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Section 158: Any person driving a motor vehicle in any public place, shall, on being required by a Police Officer in uniform, produce:
1. certificate of Insurance
2. certificate of registration
3. driving licence
4. in case of transport vehicles, also the certificate of fitness and the permit
But is it mandatory to carry the originals always ? What about the photocopies(attested or non) ?

I've heard that there is a rule that you need to submit it within 14 days to a competent authority even if you are not carrying the originals ?

Is it true ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 12:27   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

But is it mandatory to carry the originals always ? What about the photocopies(attested or non) ?

I've heard that there is a rule that you need to submit it within 14 days to a competent authority even if you are not carrying the originals ?

Is it true ?
I am not sure of the photocopy part.
Yes you can produce the documents later in case of a challan and the corresponding amount is waived off.

Generally it does not come to this. The traffic police would straight away try to impound your vehicle if you don't have the documents and pressurise you enough so that you have to bribe your way out. Thats the case mostly in Delhi/Gurgaon.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 15:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

I am not sure of the photocopy part.
Yes you can produce the documents later in case of a challan and the corresponding amount is waived off.

Generally it does not come to this. The traffic police would straight away try to impound your vehicle if you don't have the documents and pressurise you enough so that you have to bribe your way out. Thats the case mostly in Delhi/Gurgaon.
Yes, you can produce the documents in 2 weeks time. Till then, the officer would keep whatever document you have like your DL or RC and issue a receipt. If you have the time to collect it later, insist that you will produce the documents later. They can't challan you but will roy to scare you with a fine of a few thousand which is not true. You can see the rates of fine on the respective traffic police website.
ajit_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 16:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I see khaki clad cops sometimes checking vehicles here too. I was told they are from the RTO.
Here I am referring to Bangalore city and its outskirts with examples to explain.

Example: Bangalore City is Urban zone.
Kanakpura/Chikkabalapur/Gowribidanur/Magadi etc are considered as Rural Zones

Mostly URBAN cities have Traffic (White Traffic Uniform) and Civil Police (Khaki Uniform) personnel differentiated by their respective uniforms. Where Traffic cops are directed in enforcing any such traffic related violations.

Any rural zones, around the city, civil police personnel's (Khaki Uniform) have an direction/authority to enforce Traffic violations along with their respective civil/crime enforcement duties. Here in such termed "Rural" zones, there is no separate Traffic cops.

Hope this clarifies.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 22:46   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Is it true ?
Mithun
Hi
On this matter see my post no 155 dated 27 th October 2011.
I had asked this question in a letter to the editor of DNA which was published. My letter is also a part of the above mentioned post.
The section states that in the event of an accident......
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 05:40   #177
BHPian

Default Fine line between Section 183 & 184?

On my way to hometown, I was caught driving at 90kmph (kerala road limit = 70kmph). At the moment of me cruising at 90kmph, I remember being overtaken by a Fiesta (through my left), but he was not pulled over. The MVD officer said I was at 90kmph and had to pay fine - to which I replied that the Fiesta should have been pulled over too, as he would defenitely be faster than me. The officer said only one vehicle can be monitored in the speed gun at a time. I replied (unfortunately) that if they have found my vehicle to be moving at 90kmph, the other officers, with their bare eyes could have seen that the Fiesta was faster than me. The officer did not like this and issued me a slip of Rs.1000!! Didnt apply my mind until I got back home (Rs.1000 for speeding?!). The charge in the slip was Section 184 (driving dangerously). Please be noted that the stretch I was caught was Maradu-Aroor in NH-47 at around 02:00pm (less traffic, wide roads with good visibility, no pedestrians crossing, no road-side shops, etc).

I read both sections 183 & 184. Question is, did I actually violate Section 184? If not, how could have I defended myself against the charge?
ImprezaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 12:17   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This is the new brain-wave of Delhi Traffic Police.....This dangerous driving charge is already being contested, and who knows, the courts might just overturn this decision too... In the meanwhile, drive safe!
SS-Da, is there an update to this? I mean, has the court passed some judgement?

OTOH, somebody told me, for more serious sections, drawing heavier fines, like drunken driving, over-speeding, dangerous driving etc., the offense has to be accompanied by evidence, like a radar report or a video recording or whatever. Is this a fact?

Edit:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...coffense&hl=en

An app on traffic challan! Now I have seen it all....

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 14th September 2013 at 12:24.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 14:40   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
SS-Da, is there an update to this?
No specific information on this, but I believe the cops are not fining under two separate sections any more.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 11:22   #180
BHPian

I have been looking online without any results regarding the vehicles that are exempted from registration. Like the Royal Enfield MOFA. Can anyone enlighten me regarding the rules that exempt a vehicle from the need to be registered. Is there a maximum power limit or a maximum speed limit?
dhaval-mehta is offline   Reply With Quote